Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/TelegraphLife/status/1587504496674050048

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
hmbol(ondon)

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
Every trans person I know right now is terrified. The effect this is having on me and my communities mental health is harrowing.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
That's some ridiculously bad photoshopping

TreeTrunks
Aug 16, 2018
I have three children, one of whom is trans. I don't know whether it is better to pull them all out of school and my husband and I get new jobs so we can move to Scotland in the hopes he will be better protected, or stay here to try to weather the storm for the next 2 years in the hope that 1. The Tories don't win another bloody election and 2. Labour are not so atrocious.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I feel like some loud Scottish women and some portion of the SNP even in recent weeks were extremely anti-trans so I'm not sure it's an ideal destination either.

TreeTrunks
Aug 16, 2018
I honestly don't know what to do. I am so scared.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Utterly sick of this loving tiny minded island

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't know what the gently caress anyone can do, just doesn't seem like there's enough decent people in the country to make a difference.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

TreeTrunks posted:

I honestly don't know what to do. I am so scared.

It's loving horrible but you're not alone :unsmith:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

I don't know what the gently caress anyone can do, just doesn't seem like there's enough decent people in the country to make a difference.

That's kind of how I feel too, and the path we are going down loving terrifies me.

The Tories have already managed to implement conditional human rights with regards to asylum seekers, and they've got away with putting them in literal concentration camps for a number of years, and that is now the 'accepted norm'.

They have also successfully stripped various fundamental rights from travellers right up to literally anyone protesting anything. The new anti protest laws are terrifying.

They've got away with killing of the most vulnerable sick and disabled people for 12 years, despite UN condemnation.

The attack on trans rights isn't going to stop at trans rights. If the Tories aren't stopped, they'll increase the net to attack the rights of other groups within the LGBT spectrum.

We're no longer on a path to fascism. We're here. This is it, and when the 'opposition' is also yearning for the same fascism... yeah....

I'm so loving tired of it all, and I don't know what to do anymore, except continue to exist out of spite

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Meanwhile, I had today off, which is why 11 hours after I started doing work I finally got home from work. Love to have a day off.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

roomtone posted:

Can someone decode this for me a bit? I've long been aware that people say the government delcaring the urgency of 'balancing the budget' etc is a smokescreen, but I've never understood why. All I really understand about it right now is that on a surface level it seems like they are saying we need to reduce spending to a point where we aren't getting into further debt or paying off debt.

I'm not really clear on how government debt works, in general, so there's probably a book I need to read, but a quick overview of why this political slogan of balancing budgets is fake would be appreciated.

The short version is that due to the interaction between inflation, tax receipts, and the ability to print money, a government can deficit spend literally 100% of the time without going bankrupt. you can even deficit spend 100% of the time while paying down debt.

The very slightly longer version is that a lot of this dates back to the calls for AUSTERITY! after the 2008 economic crisis which was pretty much lies. A household or business often does need to engage in austerity in lean times, but a government with control over its currency typically does not. Recessions are often the result of what you might think of as economic weather - they aren't real, in much the same way that money isn't real. What's real is that when people work they produce goods and services. Thus during 'bad weather' the government can essentially tell people to just keep working by virtue of printing money and giving it away - keeping the 'real economy' going despite the negative effects of the 'fake economy'. This won't cause rampant inflation like it would normally would, so long as you are indeed combatting weather.

The current situation is more complicated than that as there is 'real' inflation being caused by supply chain issues, but the knock on effects of those real problems are causing more malaise than the real effects.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 1, 2022

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Guavanaut posted:

someone who is good at the economy please help me choose between cutting out home maintenance or buying more candles. my family is dying

Hexamine, save on the fuel bills cooking on mini folding stoves - stoke the pile of BBC licence notices in the fireplace for warmth.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Perfect choice of gif

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The Liz Truss book that people were making fun of actually has a lot of potential to be a fun read.

This however. This is guaranteed to be absolutely shite.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

As a dog returns to his vomit, etc

You would think this fool would be well advised not to remind people.

Well, you'd think.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Has anyone seen Ed Ball?

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Oh I nearly forgot!

It's November, guys!

And you know what that means!

Ten days of loving fireworks!

Also three months of hosed sleep schedule due to clock change, whattup fellow adhd/autism buddies!

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Too much collateral. Ideally we would go extinct in a way that spares the giraffes and spiders.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Too much collateral. Ideally we would go extinct in a way that spares the giraffes and spiders.

Spiders survived the last big meteor just fine. And the giraffes will be able to use their long necks and tongues to forage above the clouds of ash (maybe)

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Only Kindness posted:

Oh I nearly forgot!

It's November, guys!

Also three months of hosed sleep schedule due to clock change, whattup fellow adhd/autism buddies!

Sorry about the sleep problems. As a fellow ADHD haver I have delayed sleep phase and the clocks going back has brought me closer to "normal" wake up time. It sucks to have your pattern thrown out, I hope you can find it again

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Cunts have been setting off frequent fireworks randomly of an evening for the last week or so here already.

This is only a minor change from the norm to be fair, there seems to be someone somewhere on the estate we live on with year-round access to fireworks and the desire to set them off one or two at a time every couple of days, or sometimes they’ll do a couple in one night but spaced out across a couple of hours with seemingly no rhyme or reason.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

This is exactly how I feel. The best lack all conviction and the worst are full of passion. I'm just so tired of it. Every effort you make that feels like it might do something, you're punished hard. I've basically lost all hope. Oh and I got my eye socket and nose broke the other day in an attempt to stop a homophobic attack. Least we have each other I suppose.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Someone near me set loads of fireworks off after midnight last night 🙄

E: whoa Jakabite! Are you ok?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jakabite posted:

This is exactly how I feel. The best lack all conviction and the worst are full of passion. I'm just so tired of it. Every effort you make that feels like it might do something, you're punished hard. I've basically lost all hope. Oh and I got my eye socket and nose broke the other day in an attempt to stop a homophobic attack. Least we have each other I suppose.

Jfc, sorry to hear that mate. Sounds like you did the right thing though, shame about how the world often rewards doing that

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Jakabite posted:

drat, as someone who was assaulted on my bike (just a lot of bruises and a fat lip) recently, I sympathise with you. There's a lot of loving cunts out there right now and the conditions this country is propagating will just make it worse unfortunately. I'm particularly fed up with this place too and am seriously considering my options of moving back to Australia. Cost of living may be high but gently caress me there's way too many positives compared to this bleak shithole.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

https://twitter.com/yungz0rn/status/1587397606241615873

Just complete constructed fear of the Other even if that Other is far less of a danger to them than the fascists and Christian nationalists behind GC.

When you have J K Rowling applauding odious poo poo Matt Walsh then they can't possibly be shocked when moire women's rights are attacked.

Jakabite posted:

loving hell mate, hope you're alright.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Only Kindness posted:

Oh I nearly forgot!

It's November, guys!

Not in Dundee! After last night Tesco & Asda have been convinced not to sell them in the city (it kicked off a bit last night)

Szmitten posted:

I feel like some loud Scottish women and some portion of the SNP even in recent weeks were extremely anti-trans so I'm not sure it's an ideal destination either.

I don't think anyone has the illusion that there are no TERFs in Scotland or in the SNP (Joanna Cherry is a prominent SNP MP who has been a TERF since before Graham Linehan broke his brain completely) but I don't think it's so much "looking for an ideal destination" as it is looking for a destination where you have to fear for you or your loved ones just a bit less at this point. And Holyrood just passed the Gender Recognition Reform Bill 88 to 33, a margin of victory you're unlikely to see at Westminster for a similar bill. An overwhelming majority of Nat MSPs still voted for it, Labour voted for it, Liberals voted for it & the Greens voted for it. Only the Tories were majority against (overwhelmingly so of course, I think there were only 2 or 3 MSPs who voted for).

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Cheers gang :unsmith: I'm actually okay - I've taken a week off work and gone to stay with my mum (some things never change), and the damage doesn't seem too bad. Swelling's gone down, my nose is still straight, and I can still see, and when I woke up everyone was gone and had been replaced by some nice students who looked a lot more scared than me, and there was no blood anywhere apart from mine so I assume the fellas getting attacked got away, so as much as it wasn't as heroic as saving the day and beating the baddies, ultimately it was worth it. The 9 hour wait in A and E made me freshly furious though - I felt so bad for everyone involved from the old folk who clearly should've been in beds to the staff, half of whom looked like they wanted to cry.

Anyone watching Newsnight? They've got Angela Eagle on for Labour and gently caress me what a useless sack of shite she is. I'd pay a solid amount of money for a few minutes with each of the Labour front bench just to go Full Tucker on them. They're so pathetic. No fire or passion or anything whatsoever unless they're talking about hurting trans people or migrants or protestors. What are people's views on the Breakthrough party? I drunkenly joined once but I can't tell if they're any good. That said I might get involved as they don't seem to have anything bad about them, just not sure how serious an operation they are. I suppose when you distrust and despise the entire establishment then any new group will seem a bit unserious at first.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Old work friend of mine who I don't live near any more came out as trans recently - I just heard through another old work friend who still works with her. She's the first person I know well who is going down that particular journey and I've asked my other friend to pass on my support but I guess I'm not too sure on the etiquette or the best way to be supportive. I can imagine that anticipating how older, male friends might be a source of anxiety so I guess that's why I wanted to reach out to her.

We haven't spoken for a couple of years but only as I moved away from the area. Hopefully she is going well and not letting the terf madness get to her!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Note to self: don't doomscroll about your human rights on Twitter

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Very relieved that our pets seem quite tranquil about fireworks. Not quite sure how they ended up that way, but I'm glad they did.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Darth Walrus posted:

Very relieved that our pets seem quite tranquil about fireworks. Not quite sure how they ended up that way, but I'm glad they did.

My cats were chill about fireworks after living in Walthamstow for several years with fireworks for every occasion: bonfire night, Eids, Diwali, New years (various), birthdays, anniversaries, etc

Meanwhile:

Was it not just a few short weeks ago that the government said no chance of power outages?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/nov/01/government-tests-energy-blackout-emergency-plans-as-supply-fears-grow

quote:

Government tests energy blackout emergency plans as supply fears grow
Exclusive: Whitehall officials have ‘war gamed’ Programme Yarrow, a blueprint for coping with outages for up to a week

The government has “war gamed” emergency plans to cope with energy blackouts lasting up to seven days in the event of a national power outage amid growing fears over security of supply this winter.

The Guardian has seen documents, marked “official sensitive”, which warn that in a “reasonable worst-case scenario” all sectors including transport, food and water supply, communications and energy could be “severely disrupted” for up to a week.

They show that ministers will prioritise getting food, water and shelter to the young and elderly people, as well as those with caring responsibilities, if the country experiences blackouts, with the Met Office warning that Britain faces a higher risk of a cold winter.

etc

Wonder if the govt will take as much notice of the results as they did of the pandemic 'war game' exercise of 2016?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Lasting up to seven days. This is very bad indeed for Jeremy Corbyn.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Jesus christ 7 days without power in winter would kill so loving many people.

Time to get a lot of bottles of water...

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

I think i could eat raw offal for other peoples entertainment, if it ment getting out of heating the house over winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Not in Dundee! After last night Tesco & Asda have been convinced not to sell them in the city (it kicked off a bit last night)

I saw some footage of that. Nice to see the youth out having a bit of fun