Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

bike tory posted:

but I did, for like 6 years :shrug:

Yeah in like 1960 before Mariah Carey was born

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Yes, but that's only because she didn't marry Atom. Enya Goren is easily pronounceable, and Orinoco Flows like the perfect name.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

The falsetto of "they'd even put it in a cute bonnet" enters my brain randomly like every 3 days.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

apatheticman posted:

The falsetto of "they'd even put it in a cute bonnet" enters my brain randomly like every 3 days.

I get that too! But on wednesdays and fridays it's the ending synth part on "How to seem socially uncompetitive"

https://youtube.com/shorts/OLq-A6sEjGM?feature=share

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

I'm now calling Christmas, Terry. It's now a war on Terry.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

poonchasta posted:

Tell us you've never worked retail without telling us you've never worked retail.

i'm going to play it on repeat for a 7 hour shift tomorrow because watching normal people melt down about it in store is all that gets me through my shifts

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

Lmao

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

i'm going to play it on repeat for a 7 hour shift tomorrow because watching normal people melt down about it in store is all that gets me through my shifts

this is a warcrime and justifies burning the store down

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Not sure manimal needed a remake but I'm here for it

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I was expecting at least one of the pictures to actually be of one of the dozen or so other famous/semi-famous women that all look nearly identical tbh

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Is there a name for this trope? The secret harmony that destroys the mind or whatever? Last time I tried to look up the concept all I found was Manchurian candidate trigger word or South Park brown note stuff.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

ILL Machina posted:

Is there a name for this trope? The secret harmony that destroys the mind or whatever? Last time I tried to look up the concept all I found was Manchurian candidate trigger word or South Park brown note stuff.
Yes, but it's unpronounceable in any human language and hearing it would result in the complete relaxation of every muscle — including the heart — and immediate death, so it can't be posted here.

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

ILL Machina posted:

The visual equivalent is called a "Langford basilisk"

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yes, but that's only because she didn't marry Atom. Enya Goren is easily pronounceable, and Orinoco Flows like the perfect name.

I wanted to say that I appreciated this reference to Mr. Goren and my favorite electro punk performing artist of the early 2000s.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

ILL Machina posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBWr1KtnRcI

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

Baron von Eevl posted:

:ibadpop: Her name is a killing word :ibadpop:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i believe the scp project calls these things "cognitohazards" -- something that has a dangerous effect when sensed and processed by your brain. a picture that fries your visual cortex or the sound that makes your muscles stop working are both good examples. i think that medusa's power would also be a cognitohazard, since it isn't something she can beam out to anyone -- it only works when you are looking at and perceiving her.

it applies to all of the senses. an extremely spicy hot sauce could be considered a taste-based cognitohazard. if someone with no sense of taste tried it, nothing would happen, because it doesn't cause any physical damage. the pain is all in the brain.

a very bright light that blinds you is not a cognitohazard, because the brain doesn't have to process the light in order for the damage to be done. it's just a physical effect on your retina.

there is also a related concept called a "memetic hazard," which is a cognitohazard that can transmit from one person to another. like a secret word that turns you into a zombie that only babbles the secret word.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Your pontypools and such.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

if you’re into cognitohazards and memetics, I recommend qntm’s books. I think they’re all elaborations of their SCP writings, but I never got into SCP and quite enjoyed the books.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

if you’re into cognitohazards and memetics, I recommend qntm’s books. I think they’re all elaborations of their SCP writings, but I never got into SCP and quite enjoyed the books.

this

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Dunno about books, but qntm has been writing for longer than SCP has existed. He did pioneer the Antimemetics Division, and that's a great read.

Apparently he's got some of his fiction organized into books, only There Is No Antimemetics Division is SCP stuff. Ed Stories are the earliest stuff and own in an "Ernest Cline but not garbage" way. Ra and Fine Structure are heady kinda hard sci-fi with "magic as a scientific discipline" as the setting

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Is The King In Yellow considered a cognitohazard? I thought the whole thing with that 'play' is that it drives people mad, but maybe I'm thinking of something else?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

lt_kennedy posted:

:ibadpop: Her name is a killing word :ibadpop:

no it's just not enya business

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
it's funny qntm comes up here, since their best SCP work is about anti-memes

also also their phenomenal short story Lena (free on the site) is now part of the new book announced just yesterday!

https://twitter.com/qntm/status/1587506952703295488?cxt=HHwWgIC-pbPK-ocsAAAA

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Best line imo

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

Is The King In Yellow considered a cognitohazard? I thought the whole thing with that 'play' is that it drives people mad, but maybe I'm thinking of something else?

I would say so, but there's not a lot explicate about exactly what the play contains so it's hard to say if it's a true congito hazard or just magic which I wouldn't count as a cognito hazard (like Medusa mentioned earlier).

Probably the best known is the Langford Parrot https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BLIT_(short_story), but there are also earlier sci-fi stories about mathematicians stumbling on ideas that soft lock the human brain. Monty Python's world's funniest joke could also be included, as well a short story about an infectious earworm phrase "punch in the presence of the pass-en-ger".

As an idea cognito hazards seems to do best as a short story or a small element in bigger stories, so scp is a perfect home.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Much like the MAriah Carey song

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Goa Tse-tung posted:

also also their phenomenal short story Lena (free on the site) is now part of the new book announced just yesterday!
The short story Lena is a cognitohazard

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Bug Squash posted:

I would say so, but there's not a lot explicate about exactly what the play contains so it's hard to say if it's a true congito hazard or just magic which I wouldn't count as a cognito hazard (like Medusa mentioned earlier).

Probably the best known is the Langford Parrot https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BLIT_(short_story), but there are also earlier sci-fi stories about mathematicians stumbling on ideas that soft lock the human brain. Monty Python's world's funniest joke could also be included, as well a short story about an infectious earworm phrase "punch in the presence of the pass-en-ger".

As an idea cognito hazards seems to do best as a short story or a small element in bigger stories, so scp is a perfect home.

http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/blit.htm

just read the drat thing it’s not long and it’s quite good

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Thank heavens that Jule starts at December 24. Besides, Sancta Lucía is the real start of the ceremonies since it's on the midwinter solstice. Ie. Dec 13th.

wtf that’s not the solstice even on the Julian calendar

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Platystemon posted:

lalalala can't hear you, sancta lucia is correct and will proceed as normal

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Depends on the year though.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
It's the solstice on the Julius Calendar but that's just when juice is half off.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Double Terry:

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Impossible to say if this is a good or bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Could have dressed as a Nurse Shark

Pretty poor effort Terry