Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Only Kindness posted:

Oh I nearly forgot!

It's November, guys!

And you know what that means!
The national allergy awareness campaign, No Nut November! :toot:

Diet Crack posted:

Hexamine, save on the fuel bills cooking on mini folding stoves - stoke the pile of BBC licence notices in the fireplace for warmth.
You can also combine it with [roblox] to make [minecraft]

OwlFancier posted:

I don't know what the gently caress anyone can do, just doesn't seem like there's enough decent people in the country to make a difference.
i think there may be, but the less that think there are, the less chance I am of being right.

That's why the fossil fuel companies switched from "climate change isn't real" to "it's too late to make any real difference now", it's why the transphobes go with "99% of people don't even care about this stuff", it's why every rights movement has been portrayed as a 'militant fringe' while thousands more work behind it.

Maybe I'm completely wrong, but it seems better than giving up to be right and leaving the light a little dimmer.

Jakabite posted:

I'm actually okay - I've taken a week off work and gone to stay with my mum (some things never change), and the damage doesn't seem too bad. Swelling's gone down, my nose is still straight, and I can still see, and when I woke up everyone was gone and had been replaced by some nice students who looked a lot more scared than me, and there was no blood anywhere apart from mine
Like here, be well, hope you heal well. The cunts are still in the vast minority but that's no comfort to anyone when they're out there being cunts, gently caress 'em.

e: cat tax

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Can we use NASA's new DART thingy but push the killer space rock towards Earth instead?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

7 days without power would be memorable.

probably crime city.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
7 days without power would be absolute anarchy (and not the good kind like you want).

It's hard to even envisage

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tarnop posted:

Sorry about the sleep problems. As a fellow ADHD haver I have delayed sleep phase and the clocks going back has brought me closer to "normal" wake up time. It sucks to have your pattern thrown out, I hope you can find it again

Yeah snap the clock change basically worked in my favour this time, not like I can keep a consistent pattern anyway. I did just sleep eleven hours cos I was loving knackered.

E: you're a good egg Jakabite and I hope you heal up well, shouldn't be on you to stop that.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Nov 2, 2022

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
7 days without power would be loving boring.

Watch It Burn
Apr 8, 2009
Very long time lurker here so excuse me for just jumping head first into the conversation.

I finally came as trans to family and friends towards the end of last year. Everyone around me has been very supportive and I know that makes me very lucky.

Seeing what’s going on outside of my little bubble of support terrifies me though. It makes me feel like just saying to everyone “Sorry guys, I was just joking lol” and trying to roll back the changes I’ve made. I don’t know if that’s even possible though.

So yeah sorry to add to the whinging / misery but this really sucks. I’m glad this place exists though, you’re all lovely people.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I guess if there is hope it's with your own bubble of people who are not dickheads. Just wish that was easier to find.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

a single day alone would be enough to cripple people

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

Ash Crimson posted:

With the blackouts, and energy fees: I find myself lately thinking about businesses, as well.

Obviously the human cost is most important, and I would rather all the businesses in the UK going bust over a single avoidable death.

But yeah, like...basically it will mean the entire economy shuts down for a week. For companies with employees all over the world, who rely on video calls and asynchronous working: what a global embarrassment, to have to say "all UK team members will be offline for a week, due to their spiteful and short sighted little country running out of power."

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm not sure the world is ready yet to do without my weekly *checks notes* 3.08 posts on Something Awful

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mourning Due posted:

With the blackouts, and energy fees: I find myself lately thinking about businesses, as well.

Obviously the human cost is most important, and I would rather all the businesses in the UK going bust over a single avoidable death.

But yeah, like...basically it will mean the entire economy shuts down for a week. For companies with employees all over the world, who rely on video calls and asynchronous working: what a global embarrassment, to have to say "all UK team members will be offline for a week, due to their spiteful and short sighted little country running out of power."

The Tories might allow homes to run out of power, because gently caress poor people, but they would never let businesses stop getting customers in. Consumption is the only thing we have left to turn the wheels of the economy.

Expect coffee shops to have fusion generators up and running within fifteen minutes, free wi-fi and electricity to run laptops as long as you pay £20 for a coffee every ten minutes. A nation buzzing with caffeine won’t need to sleep, productivity will triple!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Niric posted:

I'm not sure the world is ready yet to do without my weekly *checks notes* 3.08 posts on Something Awful

Make sure you charge your phone beforehand - problem solved!

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Scientastic posted:

The Tories might allow homes to run out of power, because gently caress poor people, but they would never let businesses stop getting customers in. Consumption is the only thing we have left to turn the wheels of the economy.

Expect coffee shops to have fusion generators up and running within fifteen minutes, free wi-fi and electricity to run laptops as long as you pay £20 for a coffee every ten minutes. A nation buzzing with caffeine won’t need to sleep, productivity will triple!

How you looked at how much the Tories care about businesses since Brexit? Death cult toryism means they will happily run productive businesses into the ground.

But our power grid failing for consecutive days would be a mammoth failure beyond even fringe third world power grids. When they lose power, it's often people only get a few hours power a day. That is the failure mode we will see if we see a huge cold snap this winter.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The positive side of 7 days without power is that I'll finally have an excuse to read some of the books I own that I haven't touched because it's more convenient to read things on the Kindle app.

The negative side is the list of books unread isn't THAT long, & my phone battery lasts for about 4 hours at this point. I'm going to need to find a non-digital hobby

Scientastic posted:

Gosh, and I thought fusion power was permanently 50 years away :dadjoke:

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

The other thing about power cuts - hope you didn't need your fridge/freezer for anything

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Don’t worry, as a Tesla owner you won't be bored. Beaten to death by a stupid mob because "your woke electric car used all the power", maybe, but not bored. Dragooned in to help bury the six-figure body count that a week of no power would rack up, but not bored.

forkboy84 posted:

The negative side is the list of books unread isn't THAT long, & my phone battery lasts for about 4 hours at this point.

Also that it's winter, so there'll be no light to read.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What's the cheapest solution for a gas ring that runs on a normal 15kg tank from the petrol station? I have family who will have no other means of getting heat if the power goes out.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Time to revisit this story now Hancock is back in the headlines

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

smellmycheese posted:

Time to revisit this story now Hancock is back in the headlines

wearing a toupe by day and penciling on a moustache by night is impressive commitment to the bit

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Freudian posted:

The other thing about power cuts - hope you didn't need your fridge/freezer for anything

Well good news about what ambient effect will be driving the power cut!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Ash Crimson posted:

It's not uncommon in parts of Finland to be without power for days after a storm. I remember people where without power for a week in the Åland islands a few years ago after a particularly nasty winter storm. Granted these are rural or remote areas. I don't know what would happen if Helsinki lost power for any length of time...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This happens again.

Helsinki didn't have electricity the last time it happened.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

No water from the taps after a day or so if there's no electricity to pump it up water towers. No water at all if you're in a block of flats that has a pump. No heating, no lights, no phone signal or Internet or any kind, no radio to tune your windup radio into, just blankets, misery and slowly watching your food go off as your fingers and toes go numb.

It won't be boring. A widespread week long power outage will be loving armageddon.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

It's a good thing that isn't what the report is preapring for in a worst case, then

Sky News posted:

A worst-case scenario would see all sectors - including food, water, transport, communications and energy - affected for up to a week, a report says.

Wednesday 2 November 2022 06:29, UK

The government is testing plans to cope with energy blackouts that could last up to seven days, according to a report.
A series of exercises has been held with government departments and councils across the country in recent days, according to The Guardian.

Programme Yarrow was drawn up in 2021 to improve planning and resilience in the event of a major technical fault on the National Grid - such as flood damage, a lightning strike on a substation or an attack by a hostile state on sub-sea power cables.
The programme's worst-case scenario is that all sectors - including transport, food, water supply, communications and energy - are hit for up to a week.
All premises without backup generators would have their power cut without warning, with 60% of electricity demand being met between day two and day seven, when houses and businesses would be given "intermittent access" to ration supply, the report says.

In this scenario, only analogue FM radios would work, with only BBC Radio 2 and 4 likely to be broadcasting.
An agreement between energy regulator Ofgem and National Grid says that 100% of electricity demand should be restored after a week, and the government expects that target to be met even in a worst-case scenario, the newspaper reported.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Watch It Burn posted:

Very long time lurker here so excuse me for just jumping head first into the conversation.

I finally came as trans to family and friends towards the end of last year. Everyone around me has been very supportive and I know that makes me very lucky.

Seeing what’s going on outside of my little bubble of support terrifies me though. It makes me feel like just saying to everyone “Sorry guys, I was just joking lol” and trying to roll back the changes I’ve made. I don’t know if that’s even possible though.

So yeah sorry to add to the whinging / misery but this really sucks. I’m glad this place exists though, you’re all lovely people.

All I can think of is never back down, never compromise, go out swinging if that's what it comes to. Life's about finding that light inside yourself and figuring out what makes it burn brighter and stronger, then using that to become more confident in the knowledge that everyone gets one go at life and you're not going to let anyone else gently caress up yours. You're not a victim and never have been.

Goes back to that old WW2 adage, “if I’m going out, at least I'm going out killing nazis”.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Nothingtoseehere posted:

It's a good thing that isn't what the report is preapring for in a worst case, then

Only BBC 2 and 4? The shittest ones?

Also, catching up to say:

Solidarity to Jakabite for doing the right thing
Solidarity to all trans comrades ITT and across the nation

Times they are so treacherous
We need to stick together

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What the hell was the point of keeping the long wave radio up and also bringing in all the digital radio if everything is going to fall back to analog FM in an emergency?

I should get my kerosene lamp back up and working, that's just about enough to keep a room warm and lit. Maybe several rooms if it sets the first room on fire.

If that's not enough then we're already in the realm of libertarian/survivalist country music and I'll eat Rand Paul.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Watch It Burn posted:

I managed to get in touch with and have a good chat last night to my newly trans friend (well 10.5 months HRT now but I'd just found out a couple of days ago). We worked together alot years ago but I moved away and we haven't talked for a few years now just cos life etc.

I can imagine it must have been difficult for her trying to anticipate how especially male friends she has known for a long time would react so I really wanted to go out of my way and say hey.

It was great though! What was really nice was we only really talked about her transition a little bit, and quite matter of fact - she proudly sent me a photo of her new look all decked up (she's really nailing it! ) but other than that we just talked about tea, and old work stuff and a whole bunch of other random stuff. And it was great. There was definitely an energy and a positivity that I hadn't sensed before. Super stoked for her.

Of course the general political climate makes me worry about her, and it's getting worse. What I find particularly insideous is the attempt to deliberately weaponise the wider gay community against trans people. But I guess as non trans people we all have a responsibility to stand up for our friends and the wider community. It seems like, despite the climate, most people are more accepting and understanding than they have been historically and that is a good thing. Still a long way to go though.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Good thing the government's plans always meets their targets.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Guavanaut posted:

What the hell was the point of keeping the long wave radio up and also bringing in all the digital radio if everything is going to fall back to analog FM in an emergency?

Wasting money and giving cushy contracts to buddies, that kind of stuff. The whole idea of digital radio is to me pointless, and if you where gonna replace it, DAB is the worst.... I really feel this is replacing sturdy, working technologies that serve their purpose really well, just to have something new and shiny that's not really any better.

Shutting down the AM stuff is not understandable to me tho...

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

otoh it very much matches the easy mode that these cunts get to live life on that good fortune carries them

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

I should get my kerosene lamp back up and working, that's just about enough to keep a room warm and lit. Maybe several rooms if it sets the first room on fire.

If that's not enough then we're already in the realm of libertarian/survivalist country music and I'll eat Rand Paul.

Years ago I got a DAB (Digitial Audio Broadcast. A type of radio technology that was supposed to be the future for radio back in the mid 2000s) clock radio for Christmas. It could also do FM radio, but was intended to be a DAB radio first and foremost.

The clock itself had no way of being set. As in there was no option to set the time manually. It would automatically download the time and date from the DAB when you switched onto a Digital Radio station.

A couple of years ago (maybe two to three years?) the Irish broadcaster (RTE) stopped broadcasting DAB stations. So now I have no way of changing the time on this old DAB clock radio and no DAB stations to listen to on it.
But it still works great as am FM radio.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
DABxit

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Barry Foster posted:

Only BBC 2 and 4? The shittest ones?

Keep Radio1 Extra on and broadcast it on all frequencies the BBC controls just to make the olds mad.

I got a DAB radio ages ago, probably the best part of 20 years. The LCD screen doesn't work anymore but I used it this morning to listen to Radio 6. Lauren Laverne played Stone Temple Pilots' Plush & then I got up.

DAB is good because 6 Music. That alone justifies its existence.

Keeping Long Wave up is bewildering though, I don't think I've had a a reciever capable of getting LW years since i had a cassette player.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Watch It Burn posted:

Solidarity, comrade, and welcome to posting! It is without doubt a very scary time to be trans and I can only send my best goonwishes - I’m glad your family and friends are there to support you.

So when would these blackouts be happening? I guess January/February are when it tends to get coldest but is that the only factor here? I’ve already got a small emergency food stock but to be honest I quite regularly rifle through that when I run out of beans (or my backside is too empty) so that needs restocking, and I should probably get some water and… candles? gently caress me haha.

Probably a good time to get to know your neighbours if you don’t already. I live in an apartment block in the middle of an otherwise mostly empty business park, so it could all get a bit JG Ballard.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Keeping Long Wave up is bewildering though, I don't think I've had a a reciever capable of getting LW years since i had a cassette player.
You can make a receiver out of stuff in that bathroom drawer you never use in an emergency.

That was one of the old justifications, which makes "we'll turn everything but FM off in the emergency" even weirder so yeah why bother. Boats I guess?

You can also make a DAB transmitter to set clock radios out of common parts now though if you're in Ireland or Finland.

Watch It Burn
Apr 8, 2009

Convex posted:

All I can think of is never back down, never compromise, go out swinging if that's what it comes to. Life's about finding that light inside yourself and figuring out what makes it burn brighter and stronger, then using that to become more confident in the knowledge that everyone gets one go at life and you're not going to let anyone else gently caress up yours. You're not a victim and never have been.

Goes back to that old WW2 adage, “if I’m going out, at least I'm going out killing nazis”.

I like this a lot, thank you :D

Tomberforce posted:

Of course the general political climate makes me worry about her, and it's getting worse. What I find particularly insideous is the attempt to deliberately weaponise the wider gay community against trans people. But I guess as non trans people we all have a responsibility to stand up for our friends and the wider community. It seems like, despite the climate, most people are more accepting and understanding than they have been historically and that is a good thing. Still a long way to go though.

My friends and family are completely accepting and are wonderful. People that know outside of that have either been the same or dont care. I'm glad your friend is doing well too :D

I was going on Twitter and picking fights with anti trans people but it quickly just became depressing. There's no debate there only a hatred for people whose existance doesn't affect them. My Twitter account has since gone in the bin.

Anyway enough about me. How the gently caress are we in the position were the country shuts down because there's no 'leccy? I mean I know why but it is still absolutely inexcusable.

Watch It Burn fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Nov 2, 2022

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Guavanaut posted:

Please don't call attention to the fact it doesn't work in an emergency or someone's going to argue that means it's in need of more public investment. It ticks a lot of boxes as public infrastructure for digital services, no matter how super garbage it may be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Watch It Burn posted:

How the gently caress are we in the position were the country shuts down because there's no 'leccy? I mean I know why but it is still absolutely inexcusable.

I know why too

Have you heard of a little man called...

Jumbly Crumblin?

Anyway,

https://twitter.com/francis_samj/status/1587586982426853378?s=20&t=ElzP5JDs41nlWrxa-YkRKA