Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I was recently watching a friend play for the first time and suggested to play the Thinker archtype and I feel it might not be a good idea as you'll have 1/2 for your hp so you'll be dying constantly. Which is funny the first few times, but I can tell after the 4th time he died and losing 15min of progress it was starting to get frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
https://twitter.com/Keepsitwavey/status/1587135999565393920

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Just make sure he goes to Rene’s booth before meeting Evrart

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

To me the thing that made 1/2 HP runs bearable was realizing that I'm allowed to take medicine during dialogue. Otherwise I'd have never passed the Chair Boss in my first playthrough. It's not a mechanic that (to me) was communicated well, but is critical to viability of low-Physical builds.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think their instinct with the mechanic was good, historically being able to heal when you're dead to rights while the counter is ticking down a la earthbound is strongly correlated with the game itself being good. The onboarding is unfortunately nonexistent but I'm not sure how you could tutorialize it without something railroady and annoying on replay happening.

Kurvitz was always pretty open in interviews that teaching how to play was an extremely difficult part of designing the game and kinda something they ran out of time on

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Yeah my first play was Thinker and I died a few times from not knowing how to save myself with healing items. That plus the fact that you get massive lore dumps with little context right from the start makes it not the most new-player-friendly build, though I of course ended up having a great time.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Know nothing about the game. Are there any "under no circumstances do this" character creation choices?

Your character has two health pools, which are determined by your Volition and Endurance skills. These skills will in turn match your FYS and PSY attributes at the beginning of the game (unless you tag either of them as your signature skill). So, if you set your character's PHYSICAL or PSYCHE at 1, you'll start with that health pool at a single bar, which will make early deaths more likely. This is largely solved once you start finding health items and gaining enough experience to raise your skills, both of which the game hands out pretty generously. So it's hardly a "under no circumstances do this" thing, just maybe save more often if you have either of those attributes at 1.

And yeah, as mentioned earlier, you can still use a health charge once you've taken fatal damage, just click the thingy before the bar empties out. Earthbound rules, basically.

Best advice I can give is to not be afraid of having a dump stat, failures can also be fun. Focus your early character creation on what you think would be fun to roleplay rather than gunning for any kind of gamey min-maxing.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Imo it’s more fun to be really good at some things and really bad at others then it is to be ok at everything

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

My first playthrough I was dumb as a bag of bricks and it was exciting to be very emotionally intelligent but just absolutely stupid in all other capacities.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Malpais Legate posted:

My first playthrough I was dumb as a bag of bricks and it was exciting to be very emotionally intelligent but just absolutely stupid in all other capacities.

Yes - you talk to Joyce about Wild Pines' revenue of 20 billion real per year and Encyclopedia goes all 'guhhh what's a billion?!?'

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
I made a Very Smart Boy on my first run, but I watched Supergreatfriend play the game blind as a beef cop with a few too many points in emotional skills, so he was just this violent weepy disaster who wound up combining the immortal science of Mazovian theory with Contact Mike's hard knocks and I'd say he had the superior experience.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I love when encyclopedia fails to recognize what books and postcards are

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

No Mods No Masters posted:

I think their instinct with the mechanic was good, historically being able to heal when you're dead to rights while the counter is ticking down a la earthbound is strongly correlated with the game itself being good. The onboarding is unfortunately nonexistent but I'm not sure how you could tutorialize it without something railroady and annoying on replay happening.

Kurvitz was always pretty open in interviews that teaching how to play was an extremely difficult part of designing the game and kinda something they ran out of time on

as I recall there is a "heal yourself now!!" message that lasts about ten seconds if you have a healing item. but if you don't have any healing items then death is instantaneous and it goes into the usual heart attack/mental breakdown scene. it would be better if there were a tutorial or at least endurance/volition saying something along the lines of "you're dying, too bad you don't have a healing item, you idiot, you loving moron"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Know nothing about the game. Are there any "under no circumstances do this" character creation choices?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What I tell friends is

1) first time playing, set your physical stat to 1 and reach for the tie immediately

2) don't skip the crytpid side quest.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Spent 30 mins not really knowing what was going on, messed up an 86% chance to look at footprints and my guy immediately quit. :confuoot:

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
The game is made all the better by not knowing what to expect. Just have an open mind and make regular saves, if you don't want to just use autosaves.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Chubby Henparty posted:

Same here, but then again I also thought that the 'and all the workers will be like me' comment to Evrart was referring to my virtuous and upstanding rockstar self, not my apparent slide into fascism.

Did the game telling you you're fashy make you reflect on your political views?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It’s just a funny mug

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Look, Kim. A book. It is left-wing. I have no further comments. Do you?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Cock-carousel.

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker
Nobody knows how to laugh anymore...

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I theoretically want to a fascist/sexist/racist run, because I've already seen a whole bunch of different runs of this game but nobody I watched has done a "scumbag run", so I'm imagining that there might be a bunch of funny content I've missed, but I don't know if I would be able to do a run like that because that would mean that I'd have to make Kim hate me.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Samovar posted:

I remember being taken aback that that was what the option actually was about. I thought Harry was asking if Kim's dad also had bad eyesight.

It's 100% intentional just like the seemingly innocuous, "Welcome to Revachol".

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Jack Trades posted:

I theoretically want to a fascist/sexist/racist run, because I've already seen a whole bunch of different runs of this game but nobody I watched has done a "scumbag run", so I'm imagining that there might be a bunch of funny content I've missed, but I don't know if I would be able to do a run like that because that would mean that I'd have to make Kim hate me.

1 intellect/1 psyche/6 physique/4 motorics run, signature point in Volition so you don't die immediately(plus extra potential leveling in authority later). Go for fascism and superstar dialogue options at all time. Never not listen to electrochemistry and especially half light. Be SURE to do The Love Quest.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Jack Trades posted:

You can do terrible things to Kim. There's the infamous failed authority check at the church but you can also call-in to his favorite radio show and and say fascist things, then ask for the DJ to shout out your friend Kim, resulting in Kim also being branded as a fascist and the both of you told never to listen to his show again

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Being fascist doesn't make Kim hate you. He's a cop, and in end, he cares far more for the fact that you're a fellow cop and good at your job than he does about you having distasteful politics.

Ultimately the game doesn't have anything particularly insightful or impressive to say about fascism though. The fascist thought was something like, fascism is just about misogyny.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's not a high level representation of fascism just like the other ideologies aren't, they're all from the pov of the barely informed everyman or hapless footsoldier. As a fascist you're miserable all the time and everybody hates you because you hate everybody, so things like being sauced constantly is encouraged. You aren't Steven Bannon because even the Bannons of this world don't give a poo poo about your little backwater. Fash Harry is informed at least as much by this as any of the more overt themes of the ideology. You're not Measurehead, you're the lorry driver.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Wittgen posted:

Being fascist doesn't make Kim hate you. He's a cop, and in end, he cares far more for the fact that you're a fellow cop and good at your job than he does about you having distasteful politics.

Ultimately the game doesn't have anything particularly insightful or impressive to say about fascism though. The fascist thought was something like, fascism is just about misogyny.

That's exactly what it is for Harry. Ultimately whatever ideology you pick is a shallow, poorly-understood version filtered through his own personal hangups. Even the communist one.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Wittgen posted:

I’ve been trying to find the YouTube edit where “pogface Kim” calls you “the best drat cop on the foooorce” and explains that even though you’re a piece of poo poo they don’t give a gently caress because they’re cops. Where is it. I need it so bad

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Wittgen posted:

Making fascism so deeply in conflict with reality that you are required to damage yourself in order to say fascist things was pretty insightful imo. Communism is sad and broken but tinged with hope, fascism requires you to do violence to yourself and the world.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

General Battuta posted:

I’ve been trying to find the YouTube edit where “pogface Kim” calls you “the best drat cop on the foooorce” and explains that even though you’re a piece of poo poo they don’t give a gently caress because they’re cops. Where is it. I need it so bad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQRdm5_fknk

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

Did the game telling you you're fashy make you reflect on your political views?

Evrart's response and the game then immediately saying 'hey looks like you're a big fash, shall we just lock that poo poo in?' rubbed my face in goonish media incomprehension twice

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Wittgen posted:

The fascist thought was something like, fascism is just about misogyny.

The games conclusion on fascism is, I think, that it's about internalizing and revering a state of perpetual victimhood as a coping mechanism for being unable to cope with your own personal failures and shortcomings or escape from your own self destructive cycles.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

GlyphGryph posted:

The games conclusion on fascism is, I think, that it's about internalizing and revering a state of perpetual victimhood as a coping mechanism for being unable to cope with your own personal failures and shortcomings or escape from your own self destructive cycles.

And that individuals holding those beliefs en masse simultaneously locks nations into a cycle of failure and self destruction

Seems spot on to me

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
Disco Elysium's political alignments are an immaculate portrayal of what it would be like if a man whose mind is all hosed up, who cannot remember concepts like 'books' and 'money', arbitrarily decided that a political ideology he just re-learned about 5 minutes ago is 'correct'.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Greaseman posted:

Disco Elysium's political alignments are an immaculate portrayal of what it would be like if a man whose mind is all hosed up, who cannot remember concepts like 'books' and 'money', arbitrarily decided that a political ideology he just re-learned about 5 minutes ago is 'correct'.

Wow, they really were inspired by Twitter.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
The way that your political neuroses, whatever the flavor, could all be linked back to your previous personal life and addictions was cool too.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
"Maybe I *am* Kras Mazov"

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 3, 2022

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
That would be a cool smilie NGL

:kras:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU