Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Love me some cheap n dirty found footage poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

8one6 posted:

October is around the corner which means anyone following me will get to see at least one review a day of the bottom of the barrel horror available on Amazon prime.

Tubi has been great for this.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Franchescanado posted:

Tubi has been great for this.

I did all Tubi two years agoish and it was rough to say the least

https://boxd.it/8TU6i

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

weekly font posted:

I did all Tubi two years agoish and it was rough to say the least

https://boxd.it/8TU6i

At least six of those are good. :colbert:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I didn’t realize it was ranked at first and was like, hell yeah for the first few rows but that definitely fell off fast. It’s not a good sign when Things sits in the top half of a list.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
I'm sure this has been asked before, but is there any consistency in which TV shows are on letterboxd and which aren't?

Is it limited to one-season shows? It seems a little inconsistent.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

kanonvandekempen posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but is there any consistency in which TV shows are on letterboxd and which aren't?

No.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Technically they aren't supposed to be on there at all. Some automated system adds them and the admins go in and manually remove them. Columbo was a big example because it was high profile enough that most people would add the episodes and then they would dissappear within a couple of hours of each other.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

AFAIK Letterboxd just uses the imdb database so whatever people or bots add there, ends up in Letterboxd as well. Until they get removed, as I believe none of them are wanted up there.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Technically, it's supposed to be reserved for miniseries/limited series since those can be usually considered as one long film (and technically, you'd also be prohibiting canonical works like the Dekalog and Scenes from a Marriage to have an absolute hard rule against miniseries). However, this leaves a lot of leeway. For example, Twin Peaks: The Return is there, but you could also just call that Season 3 of a series. And there's all sorts of technical absurdities, like the pilot for Twin Peaks is there because it aired in some countries as a standalone TV movie.

Sometimes a show is meant to be a miniseries but then gets extended to multiple seasons and gets pulled off as a result. I remember I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson was on there when it was only a single season, but then got pulled after season 2 came out. And then shows that were intended to be ongoing series, but got cancelled after a single season, are also prohibited cause they're not classified as mini/limited series.

The long short of it is it only goes to highlight the absurdity of trying to create a distinctive classification between film and TV. They're made with the same set of tools and while the modes and aesthetics may be different they're ultimately the same medium with the key difference coming down to presentation. Film serials from the early days of cinema are allowed and never questioned even though they'd be seen in episodic, weekly or monthly releases. But TV series are forbidden.

At the same time, I can understand that once you let in the sitcoms, why would you forbid the game shows and late night talkshows and evening news, etc etc. So it does get messy there.

Also, Letterboxd draws from The Movie Database, not IMDb, so to add something to Letterboxd you gotta put it there first. It's more user friendly for people to edit and add film info, but the admins can be pretty puritanical. So sometimes Letterboxd will get flack for removing or changing something that was actually a TMDb decision.

edit: I'm also thinking now about the ridiculous limited series schtick a lot of ongoing shows pull nowadays to game the Emmys and the like. You know, American Horror Story or Fargo or any of those that have an indefinite number of seasons but present each one as its own miniseries. Notably, Letterboxd doesn't have most of those.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 21, 2022

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

I'm just happy they let the Masters of Horror episodes stay up, those would appear and disappear a few times over the years...and for the hell of it...

https://letterboxd.com/vincentprice/list/masters-of-horror-from-best-to-worst-1/

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Goons Are Great posted:

AFAIK Letterboxd just uses the imdb database so whatever people or bots add there, ends up in Letterboxd as well. Until they get removed, as I believe none of them are wanted up there.

Nope, TMDB.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Ah, for once I thought I was correct about a thing and yet

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Sometimes I'm a sneaky fellow and I use the entry for a TV show's pilot to review the whole series, like what I did for Infinity Train.

DoubleCakes fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 23, 2022

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Please add me to the Goon list, I'm pretty sure I follow most on here anyway.

https://letterboxd.com/Scream_Comrade/

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Fought a bit with how to parse a url tag, but finally found the error and added you, welcome!

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Working on a beard list, please name movies where any character, no matter the sex or role, have notable mustaches or similar powerful beards. They don't need to be mentioned or be of any importance, the presence of a powerful beard is enough to be notable.

Remember that scene in Django unchained where the colonel sanders style white slave owner touches the twisted curls of his white, racist mustache? That's what I mean, a beard to be aware of.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
You’ve got The Adventures of Baron Munchausen on there, right?

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
CASTAWAY

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Serpico, Kill Bill vol2

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The Life of Brian, The Dictator, Flash Gordon (Ming and Brian Blessed), Battlefield Earth, Team America

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Leonidas' beard in 300

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The monopoly guy in the first Ace Ventura had a good mustache.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Bones' beard at the Star Trek: The Motion Picture. He looks like a gock-danged discotecque owner.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
The Infiltrator (2016)
Bill & Ted Face the Music
Killing Season (2013)
Anchorman
The Big Lebowski
The Beautician and the Beast
Bio-Dome
The Vagrant
La Pastorela: The Shepherd's Tale
Who's Harry Crumb?
Super Mario Bros.
Gymkata
Summer Magic (1963)
Eegah!
Miracle on 34th Street

Plus I guess all the Harry Potter movies with Robbie Coltrane

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Thank you, here's the progress so far:
https://boxd.it/iWfo2

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Ralph Baskshi Lord of the Rings has some extremely powerful wizard beards

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Right now I'm wondering if ridiculously small or comically thin mustaches like in some of those mafia movies count as impressive facial hair, given their attention grabbing tinyness

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

It feels like you should have Mr T on the list somewhere. I guess Rocky 3 is his biggest role?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Tarnop posted:

It feels like you should have Mr T on the list somewhere. I guess Rocky 3 is his biggest role?

DC Cab

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The Thing gets you Russell and Brimley in a two-for-one. I'd also like to propose Miami Vice for Colin Farrell's fabulous tache

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Here's my profile. Always looking for more recommendations.

https://letterboxd.com/barry_convex/

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Ghouls are Ghastly posted:

Right now I'm wondering if ridiculously small or comically thin mustaches like in some of those mafia movies count as impressive facial hair, given their attention grabbing tinyness

So just every movie John Waters appears in?

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The Ten Commandments
To a lesser extent Ben Hur and Planet of the Apes

Say what you will about ol Charlton he could pull the biblical beard

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
every elderly kung-fu master ever?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Tarnop posted:

The Thing gets you Russell and Brimley in a two-for-one. I'd also like to propose Miami Vice for Colin Farrell's fabulous tache

Pretty sure Brimley is clean shaven in the Thing, but there’s a few Kurt Russell joints they would be apt for the list.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

ruddiger posted:

Pretty sure Brimley is clean shaven in the Thing, but there’s a few Kurt Russell joints they would be apt for the list.

drat, you're right. I watched it on Monday night too, have I finally contracted goon face-blindness?

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

I followed your suggestions and further expanded the beard list. I still feel like we are missing some very important beards somehow. Just a feeling.

Barry Convex posted:

Here's my profile. Always looking for more recommendations.

https://letterboxd.com/barry_convex/

Added you to the list! Thanks!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Anyone else using the free version on iOS and keep having the app spit you out into the safari browser to open up their ad websites? It’s getting pretty annoying, especially when it happens right as I’m opening the app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
I was reading reviews for old syfy original movies and I found this strange fella:

(three paragraphs of a normal review)

The unspectacular action here is confined mostly to the island forest and also some underground tunnels and a huge cavern. The huge cavern is full of raptors just sort of milling about kind of like Jan. 6th "insurrectionists" once they made it into the capitol. Even fictional raptors here are more threatening than those hapless people many of whom are now rotting for no reason in prison, sometimes being beaten into paralysis by the mostly black guards like something out of the very prophetic, The Turner Diaries. To spice things up there's a volcano and even a big, T-rex like dinosaur. The CG here really isn't that bad sometimes even looking good in close up. It would have been nice if the action scenes had been a little more dynamic and gruesome but for a cheap film where people mostly run around in the woods occasionally shooting at fake monsters it's pretty fun. This is one of those films you can watch to escape from the horrors of what the "United" States of America has slowly become since 1913 (The Creature from Jekyll Island/creation of the Federal Reserve) and not have to turn your quickly turning to mush American brain on for even one second.