Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I’m still hoping that DDR5 means that at some point off the shelf APUs will end up replacing the low end graphics cards. No point putting out an RX7400 if a Ryzen 7600G with RDNA2 will be perfectly capable of running stuff with 32gb of memory to play with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The Mac thing is genuinely impressive, but if anyone is now "a mac gamer" because of it, as opposed to "Oh cool, I can now buy one less device", then I've got a bridge to sell them.

Used to be that I was the one that was playing games whose hardware was woefully underpowered and couldn't reasonably be expected to hold 30 FPS, let alone 60. I cleared ICC10 at 5 FPS, on a T-bird clocking at 1.6 because the KT333 I was on couldn't clock anything beyond stock, and an MX440.

I will never willingly play games at < a locked 60 FPS again and will go at settings with a machete to achieve it, but I am always thinking about how this poo poo affects the kids out there that are where I was fifteen, twenty, twenty-five years ago.

Seriously, it's about goddamn time that we got iGPUs that can at least do what a 750ti can.

I think the tragedy of Mac Gaming is that they do have hardware that can consistently run games much better than a 750 Ti, it looks to me like where a game gets shipped for Mac, the cheapo Macbook Airs run somewhere around a laptop 3050 - 3050 Ti - 3060, which is a perfectly playable place to be. Almost no games ship a Mac version though, and we're seeing more games drop support for Mac than new games add it. The reason that Macs are not viable PC gaming platforms is cultural, not technical. You can't even play Fortnite on a Mac!

I think that the young kids playing games on PC are playing stuff like Minecraft, League of Legends, DOTA 2, Fortnite, etc, all of which will run fine on iGPUs. If you want a cheap box that plays games that look better than those, the Nintendo Switch or Xbox Series S are $299.

And even for those low spec things, it turns out that Minecraft runs extremely well on a $75 Amazon poo poo tablet, and keyboard / mouse inputs are supported on phones and tablets anyway.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

njsykora posted:

I’m still hoping that DDR5 means that at some point off the shelf APUs will end up replacing the low end graphics cards. No point putting out an RX7400 if a Ryzen 7600G with RDNA2 will be perfectly capable of running stuff with 32gb of memory to play with.

We have rumors indicating that RNDA3 APUs have better perf than MX-series GPUs, and may wind up around 3050 mobile levels of perf or better.

AMD Phoenix RDNA3 iGPU could be as fast as the slowest GeForce RTX 3060 mobile GPU

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 2, 2022

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Even today the iGPUs on the AMD 6000/7000 series are pretty close to like a 960 performance, and the Intel 12th gen isn't that far behind. Hell, the APU unit in the Steam Deck runs Elden Ring and CP2077 really drat well at 720p.

Built in GPUs have come a long, LONG way in the last 2-3 years. Again, this board skews heavily towards people who want something way more powerful, but for a lot of gamers it works pretty well for the kinds of stuff their playing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Twerk from Home posted:

the cheapo Macbook Airs run somewhere around a laptop 3050 - 3050 Ti - 3060, which is a perfectly playable place to be.

Do we have some proper benchmark numbers, cause the youtube video I saw of Village running on an M1 couldn't keep a consistent 60fps at 1080p Performance MetalFX upscaled, which seems quite a bit weaker.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Lockback posted:

Even today the iGPUs on the AMD 6000/7000 series are pretty close to like a 960 performance, and the Intel 12th gen isn't that far behind. Hell, the APU unit in the Steam Deck runs Elden Ring and CP2077 really drat well at 720p.

Built in GPUs have come a long, LONG way in the last 2-3 years. Again, this board skews heavily towards people who want something way more powerful, but for a lot of gamers it works pretty well for the kinds of stuff their playing.

I don't think they're anywhere near a GTX 960 yet, are they?

Looks like the 7950X iGPU turns in 13fps average at 720p lowest on Shadow of the Tomb Raider. For some reason I'm having a hard time finding a review of a GTX 960 playing GTA V! The 5600G is looking pretty great, though.

Edit: Yeah, a GTX 960 sits way faster than a GT 1030.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Lockback posted:

That it took us this long to get here, though, that's kind of inexcusable. Especially on the part of AMD, that was supposed to be their entire bag with the ATI acquisition. And then Intel sat on its loving rear end with the GMA900 silicon for A DECADE because it didn't have to compete.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 2, 2022

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Looks like the 7950X iGPU turns in 13fps average at 720p lowest on Shadow of the Tomb Raider. For some reason I'm having a hard time finding a review of a GTX 960 playing GTA V! The 5600G is looking pretty great, though.

AMD's fastest integrated GPUs are currently limited to laptops in the 6xxx series. The 680M is the name of it.

Toward the bottom of this page you can find comparisons between the 680M and 960 in GTA V and others: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Radeon-680M-vs-GeForce-GTX-960_11124_6311.247598.0.html

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Are there power supplies that have the new Nvidia connector on them from the factory?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
weak aura: I am at peace and in charge of my own release

strong aura: gently caress it we ball

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Twerk from Home posted:

Those charts are hard to get an apples to apples, but 100fps in GTA V @ 1080p seems pretty good! Thge 7950 being below the 3000 series means something is broken. I'm actually in office today so a bunch of gaming sites are blocked, but it looks here a 960 at 1080p in GTAV is about 50 FPS and on a 680M its pretty equivalent (60FPS)
https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-680M-GPU-Benchmarks-and-Specs.589860.0.html

Basically sits around a 1060, a little below.

Inept posted:

AMD's fastest integrated GPUs are currently limited to laptops in the 6xxx series. The 680M is the name of it.

Toward the bottom of this page you can find comparisons between the 680M and 960 in GTA V and others: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Radeon-680M-vs-GeForce-GTX-960_11124_6311.247598.0.html

Yeah there we go.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

PBCrunch posted:

Are there power supplies that have the new Nvidia connector on them from the factory?

yes, some are already out and all the usual suspects will release them eventually

seasonic are also giving out free cables for owners of their prime and focus lines

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

repiv posted:

yes, some are already out and all the usual suspects will release them eventually

seasonic are also giving out free cables for owners of their prime and focus lines

Modular cables seems like a bad idea for something like an RTX 4090. Less connectors, not more!

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Craptacular! posted:

Most FPS players value frames too much for that poo poo. I've been on the "RT is a gimmick" train for a long while, but I have turned on RTX in Fortnite and been impressed at the RT lighting in some building interiors. But it hurts too much to leave on when playing to win, a feature best left to Creative mode.

It's not the next Doom that sells raytracing. It's the next SimCity or Minecraft.

Is it? I'm thinking the game that will sell raytracing is the one that does one of two things:

1. Can't be done at all without ray-tracing from a game mechanics perspective. Like some kind of game that involves moving mirrors around for reflections or or looking into different puddles to see something in the sky that can't be observed directly for game reasons.
2. A game that confers some competitive advantage for people playing it with ray tracing hardware.

Or maybe ray tracing won't really be a thing until it works on consoles and mainstream phones.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

PBCrunch posted:

Is it? I'm thinking the game that will sell raytracing is the one that does one of two things:

1. Can't be done at all without ray-tracing from a game mechanics perspective. Like some kind of game that involves moving mirrors around for reflections or or looking into different puddles to see something in the sky that can't be observed directly for game reasons.
2. A game that confers some competitive advantage for people playing it with ray tracing hardware.

Or maybe ray tracing won't really be a thing until it works on consoles and mainstream phones.

"looks prettier" is going to be enough to sell it to your average gamer.

Again, average gamer, not necessarily the people posing online about the FPS difference between High End Card 1 and High End Card 2.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

PBCrunch posted:

I'm not sure the market of RTX-capable GPUs is big enough to have a huge game require it. Keep in mind, especially worldwide the average purchaser of a game is running hardware way down the line.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Cyrano4747 posted:

"looks prettier" is going to be enough to sell it to your average gamer.
100% true, but from what I have seen so far, the looks prettier effect of RT in games isn't enough to justify the price premium and performance degradation.

Lockback posted:

I'm not sure the market of RTX-capable GPUs is big enough to have a huge game require it. Keep in mind, especially worldwide the average purchaser of a game is running hardware way down the line.
The game that provokes ray tracing adoption might not necessarily have to have a huge budget. I'm thinking something like Among Us, but with some kind of mechanic that can't be done (or can't be done with a small production budget) without raytracing.

There are tons of free to play games with large budgets. If you want to sell a small indie game, why not target it at an audience that has money to spend (people looking to flex their RT hardware).

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I get that this is a somewhat privileged perspective but something really interesting happened (at least to me) when I got a 4090 and started playing games like Metro Exodus Enhanced or CP2077 with high fps ray tracing.

It just FEELS good, like, your brain becomes very gratified with what it's seeing in a way that's hard to explain. YMMV I guess but it's made me a believer in ray tracing. If you asked me that a month ago I would have said that it's just fluff.

It makes me believe that the future of gaming will be producing games where your brain finally just... actually believes what it's seeing. It's an exciting future, if true. UE5 feels like the tool to finally provide that, but even current examples are kind of amazing.

It's more than the sum of its parts in a way I wasn't expecting. Until now we basically had a choice of high fps OR ray tracing. That was a poo poo trade; FPS is the better call every time. But now that you can do both, I don't know. Something special happens in that space.

e: If you live in Seattle come down and check it out, you'll be a believer :buddy:

repiv posted:

now we just have to wait for the 7090 to make full raytracing viable in VR :pcgaming:

Dude I'm salivating at the prospect. I've never used VR, is it really worth it to grab a headset? And if so what headset works best for a 4090?

Taima fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 2, 2022

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

now we just have to wait for the 7090 to make full raytracing viable in VR :pcgaming:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Lockback posted:

Thge 7950 being below the 3000 series means something is broken.

Nah. The 7000s released so far have only a 2 CU graphics designed to get you to the EFI and Windows desktop so you can do very very basic poo poo and troubleshooting without a graphics card. It's capable of no more than that.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

PBCrunch posted:

100% true, but from what I have seen so far, the looks prettier effect of RT in games isn't enough to justify the price premium and performance degradation.

I also think a lot of people in here are jaded from having seen it in practice for a while. Jumping to a 2080 the big thing I noticed right off the bat in Metro was how much better the shadows look.

Maybe not everything is going to do balls out full scene reflection in glass etc RT but I do think it’s going to work it’s way in, especially as consoles support that low level of RT and more and more old cards support it. The 20-series is 4 years old now. I know the world is still full of people playing on 970s etc but that bar is going to raise.

I don’t doubt that there will be non-RT stuff out there, especially in the world of F2P games, but I expect it to be a lot more common at least at a basic level as we move forward. Push things out another 2 or 3 years and I’d be surprised if some level of RT support wasn’t almost guaranteed on AAA titles.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Paul MaudDib posted:

weak aura: I am at peace and in charge of my own release

strong aura: gently caress it we ball

this is not the NNN thread

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The biggest advantage of RTX is that it gives you another slider to play with when you max out the res and refresh of your monitor.

FuturePastNow posted:

Nah. The 7000s released so far have only a 2 CU graphics designed to get you to the EFI and Windows desktop so you can do very very basic poo poo and troubleshooting without a graphics card. It's capable of no more than that.

Oh, I see. That makes sense. I assume they will have later releases with a more useable APU then.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Lockback posted:

The biggest advantage of RTX is that it gives you another slider to play with when you max out the res and refresh of your monitor.

Oh, I see. That makes sense. I assume they will have later releases with a more useable APU then.

Yeah, those will be the tasty chips. I am looking forward to an eventual GPD Win Max 3. (not to be confused with the GPD Win 3, or the GPD Win Max 1/2.)

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Taima posted:

Dude I'm salivating at the prospect. I've never used VR, is it really worth it to grab a headset? And if so what headset works best for a 4090?

VR rules broseph. Grab yourself a Quest 2 and you'll have great VR you can take anywhere standalone, and then use Virtual Desktop or AirLink for wireless access to your library of PC games.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Lockback posted:

Supposedly the Zen 4 APUs will have RDNA3 graphics, so they might be a big improvement.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

PBCrunch posted:

The game that provokes ray tracing adoption might not necessarily have to have a huge budget. I'm thinking something like Among Us, but with some kind of mechanic that can't be done (or can't be done with a small production budget) without raytracing.

I think you're on to something if you look at how beat saber impacted VR. It's gonna take more than just beat saber to really make it a thing, but it was a super fun, super simple game that became one of the showpieces for the technology.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I think you're on to something if you look at how beat saber impacted VR. It's gonna take more than just beat saber to really make it a thing, but it was a super fun, super simple game that became one of the showpieces for the technology.

Beat Saber gets all the headlines, but Walkabout Mini Golf is the real VR MVP.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Alien: Isolation.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Twerk from Home posted:

Looks like the 7950X iGPU
AMD was pretty open about the iGPU in the Zen4 chips being just there to run the desktop, browser, and a few other office-ish apps and wasn't for gaming.

The iGPU on the other hand in their APU's is actually not half bad and is getting competitive with the lower end dGPU's.

edit: it runs fine, have had 1 CTD with Uncharted4 which may or may not be driver related but no other issues.
\/\/\/\/

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 2, 2022

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
drivers are hard

https://twitter.com/nvidiacc/status/1587898004240883712

is the latest amd driver still a mess, or did they fix the regression?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

FuturePastNow posted:

It probably also reduces the amount of returns that come from folks used to Intel chips* and expecting to get graphics out of the motherboard display outputs.

* People that have watched Youtube videos of PC assembly.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PBCrunch posted:

It probably also reduces the amount of returns that come from folks used to Intel chips* and expecting to get graphics out of the motherboard display outputs.

* People that have watched Youtube videos of PC assembly.

Yeah, I ran into this literally this past weekend giving some advice. Just someone who hadn't built a new system in awhile and thought because their AM4 motherboard had a display output it would work (to help them diagnose a bad GPU). I didn't know the 7000 series had basic desktop graphics poo poo, that's a nice helper.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Welp, Sackboy on PC is the latest game with shader compilation stutter according to DF

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the issue is so pervasive with UE4 that it's more notable when a game running on it doesn't have shader stutter

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

shrike82 posted:

Welp, Sackboy on PC is the latest game with shader compilation stutter according to DF

Yeah, I gave the game a try a few days ago and the opening cutscenes were a stutter fest. Gameplay was mostly fine though.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Arivia posted:

Yeah, I ran into this literally this past weekend giving some advice. Just someone who hadn't built a new system in awhile and thought because their AM4 motherboard had a display output it would work (to help them diagnose a bad GPU). I didn't know the 7000 series had basic desktop graphics poo poo, that's a nice helper.

to be fair if you go far enough back it was just built into the chipset

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

to be fair if you go far enough back it was just built into the chipset

that was what they were thinking, yes. i didn't call them an idiot or anything, and i don't blame them for being confused. it's a painful state of affairs.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

shrike82 posted:

I'm watching the video and it's an absolute train wreck. It's not as bad as that tesco's value batman game that came out recently but it's up there. There's even a vsync/vrr bug where if it's not locked to 60 or 120fps, the framerate doesn't sync with the camera movement and it jitters constantly. So vrr is out of the window.

It's very uncharacteristic of Sony, their PC ports are usually extremely high quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
most of sony's previous pc ports have been done by specialist port studios (some of which sony owns now). this one just seems to have been done by the original developer