Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

ZombieLenin posted:

Speaking of which, I see the Russian Federation is “back in” on the grain deal, which says to me the Black Sea Fleet has been incapacitated to the point that the Russian Federation realizes it’s withdraw from the deal is toothless and makes Russia look impotent.

Maybe but it's probably as much that stopping grain exports would only marginally harm Ukraine and the political fallout for Russia would a lot worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Owling Howl posted:

Maybe but it's probably as much that stopping grain exports would only marginally harm Ukraine and the political fallout for Russia would a lot worse.
As if Russia was concerned with political fallout before

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

I assume if they're pretending to be part of the deal it means they have the capacity to slow it down way more from the inside than if they were on the outside making empty threats and having their bluffs called at speed

The same logic is also AFAICT part of why the UK joined and stayed in the EU for so long despite being consistently ideologically opposed to the entire concept of continental European unity. You can gently caress poo poo up and derail things a lot more easily if you're on the team responsible for implementing it, rather than part of the angry but largely impotent picket line outside

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

boofhead posted:

I assume if they're pretending to be part of the deal it means they have the capacity to slow it down way more from the inside than if they were on the outside making empty threats and having their bluffs called at speed

I wonder how this will work in practice. Can the other participants in the deal just tell Russia no sorry we're fine, stay out of this please? I mean, it's pretty obvious that Russia is a bad faith actor through and through, so it's not like anything of value would be lost by excluding them

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

boofhead posted:

The same logic is also AFAICT part of why the UK joined and stayed in the EU for so long despite being consistently ideologically opposed to the entire concept of continental European unity. You can gently caress poo poo up and derail things a lot more easily if you're on the team responsible for implementing it, rather than part of the angry but largely impotent picket line outside

While the latter paragraph is a famous joke from Yes, Minister, it describes a unity of planning, intent and deception to all the UK that’s just not evident.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

FishMcCool posted:

Since the grain deal withdrawal didn't exactly work out as planned, they want back in:

https://www.rte.ie/news/ukraine/2022/1102/1332709-ukraine-russia/

The ministry said that thanks to the involvement of the United Nations and Turkey, it had been possible to obtain written guarantees from Ukraine that it would not use the humanitarian corridor and Ukrainian ports to conduct military operations against Russia.

:allears:

I'm no expert, but from what I can see all that Ukraine has is a variety of patrol boats, cutters, tugs, and RIBs. What exactly would they use to conduct military operations with?

They're not sending their drone ships into the grain corridor.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

boofhead posted:

I would say that's exactly why, which Turkey demonstrated by releasing a bunch of grain ships Russia was holding up under the deal for 'inspections'
https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPR/status/1587787965786382344?s=20&t=rnvTo2bXlziGET9MXeVwQw

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Discendo Vox posted:

While the latter paragraph is a famous joke from Yes, Minister, it describes a unity of planning, intent and deception to all the UK that’s just not evident.

Never watched the show but I always figured it was more a consequence of natural/reactive Tory thinking rather than a deliberate supervillain style scheme. You have take the wealth and benefits from the EU and claim them as your own, while blaming the EU as a bogeyman for all your internal corruption/incompetence. And the EU has taken the reins for European politics/progress for a long time now, Tories have no ideology that isn't reactionary or class/race war and self-enrichment, so if you aren't a part of the EU to then "bring it down from the inside" (or at least "keep an eye on the bastards") the next question is "ok so what are you doing instead?" which, as you say, they have no good answer for. It's why a lot of conservative parties are far more effective in opposition, they are attack dog contrarians but incredibly poor at actual governing, even assuming they do have one iota of actual ideology (good or evil)

I'm sick today so this might be rambling, sorry in advance

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

redbrouw posted:

The United States made Halloween? lmao, Americans

Yeah sorta, I have never seen trick or treating outside of movies about America and thats clearly what the people were emulating, nor is there an orthodox tradition, which has all saints day in the summer

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 2, 2022

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Huh, so what's the Portuguese for 'milkshake duck?'

https://twitter.com/kjovano/status/1587057798382338049?s=46&t=6hp8wuEcuv4XbWHItvCuRw
What a bizarre thing to say. Zelenskyy wanted war so he could be on television? He was on television! It really does smack of the uncaring teacher who punishes bully and victim equally because "it takes two to fight".

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
edit: "pato de leite batido"?

I don't think it's a hot take to say that Halloween in the sense of "costumes, trick or treating, and parties" is an American invention

Scratch Monkey fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 2, 2022

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
Lula's opinions on Ukraine are disappointing, but if I have to choose between someone with such opinions who will simultaneously improve domestic welfare and strengthen democracy inside his own country (and these days that means thereby strengthening it across the world) versus someone with such opinions who is taking a wrecking ball to domestic democracy, I will happily choose the former.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Payndz posted:

https://twitter.com/kjovano/status/1587057798382338049?s=46&t=6hp8wuEcuv4XbWHItvCuRw
What a bizarre thing to say. Zelenskyy wanted war so he could be on television? He was on television! It really does smack of the uncaring teacher who punishes bully and victim equally because "it takes two to fight".

Im getting quite tired of these bootlickers.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

KitConstantine posted:

I would say that's exactly why, which Turkey demonstrated by releasing a bunch of grain ships Russia was holding up under the deal for 'inspections'
https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPR/status/1587787965786382344?s=20&t=rnvTo2bXlziGET9MXeVwQw

Do we know if Russia is going to be able to jump right back in to sabotaging the grain shipments like this now they're agreeing to the deal again?

Also, what exactly does Russia get by delaying the grain shipments? The west stopped caring about the shipments once the deal was signed, so doing this has all the down sides but without any of the leverage?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Chalks posted:

Do we know if Russia is going to be able to jump right back in to sabotaging the grain shipments like this now they're agreeing to the deal again?

Also, what exactly does Russia get by delaying the grain shipments? The west stopped caring about the shipments once the deal was signed, so doing this has all the down sides but without any of the leverage?

Its still leverage in that it will contribute to destabilization of areas of the world that tend to bleed out into other areas of the world. For instance food shortages in Africa mean more migrants to Europe which leads to more ascendant rightwing fascist parties, more coups and instability in the Third World and Russia being able to wield a big stick over the heads of poor African/Middle Eastern governments in the form of 'bread for your people in exchange for you helping to muddy the waters and blame Ukraine and the West for this terrible war/vote for Russian proposals in the UN/keep your oil production low to bump up gas prices etc otherwise good luck with unrest when noone can afford to eat a staple food crop.'

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

jaete posted:

I wonder how this will work in practice. Can the other participants in the deal just tell Russia no sorry we're fine, stay out of this please? I mean, it's pretty obvious that Russia is a bad faith actor through and through, so it's not like anything of value would be lost by excluding them

:hmmyes:

This is very interesting, has leaving the deal made them irrelevant to the inspection process?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Fabulous Knight posted:

Lula's opinions on Ukraine are disappointing, but if I have to choose between someone with such opinions who will simultaneously improve domestic welfare and strengthen democracy inside his own country (and these days that means thereby strengthening it across the world) versus someone with such opinions who is taking a wrecking ball to domestic democracy, I will happily choose the former.
Bolsonaro had lovely opinions about Russian invasion too, so I guess nothing really changed and nobody really expected Brazil to send howitzers to Ukraine or something, so it remains largely irrelevant

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 2, 2022

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Oracle posted:

Its still leverage in that it will contribute to destabilization of areas of the world that tend to bleed out into other areas of the world. For instance food shortages in Africa mean more migrants to Europe which leads to more ascendant rightwing fascist parties, more coups and instability in the Third World and Russia being able to wield a big stick over the heads of poor African/Middle Eastern governments in the form of 'bread for your people in exchange for you helping to muddy the waters and blame Ukraine and the West for this terrible war/vote for Russian proposals in the UN/keep your oil production low to bump up gas prices etc otherwise good luck with unrest when noone can afford to eat a staple food crop.'

That's one hell of a long game though. When the ships were blocked, you'd get regular news reports about the potential food crisis caused by the war, there seem to be quite a significant danger and political pressure to solve it. Then the grain deal happened and everyone went on their way as if it was fixed.

I had no idea Russia was loving with the shipments via "inspections" until they pulled out and people pointed out that them doing this would actually speed up the grain shipments.

As Russian influence decays everywhere, they're trying hard to keep developing nations on side. Starving them in a way that the West totally ignores seems like the exact opposite to what they want to do. Sure maybe in 5 years influxes of refugees from collapsing African nations may get to the point that it causes significant stresses on Europe but is that really their play here? The leaders of places like Egypt aren't stupid, they know Russia is causing this and pressure from them is one of the big reasons the grain deal was reached. It seems insane.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Just Another Lurker posted:

:hmmyes:

This is very interesting, has leaving the deal made them irrelevant to the inspection process?

Non-party countries don't automatically get the right to inspect shipments from one country to another on vessels that aren't sailing under their flag is my understanding.

So it seems that pulling out of the deal made them a non-party country and so their inspectors were told by Turkey to gently caress off. Russia's bluff got called hard so now they're having to eat poo poo

Financial times article from this morning on the about-face - https://www.ft.com/content/841f620d-2f2e-43cd-a635-a61576ccff2d

quote:

Grain shipments from Ukraine will resume on Wednesday after Russia
agreed to rejoin a UN-backed initiative to allow exports via the Black Sea, ending a stand-off that threatened to reignite a global food crisis.

Turkey’s president Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said Sergei Shoigu, the Russian defence minister, had phoned his Turkish counterpart to say Moscow was back on board.

Erdoğan, who has maintained close ties with Vladimir Putin since Moscow launched its invasion of Ukraine and helped broker the original grain deal in July, said the Russian president told him he would like to see “the poorest countries of Africa” benefit first.

The next shipments of grain would head to Somalia, Djibouti and Sudan, countries particularly vulnerable without Ukrainian agricultural imports, the Turkish president added.

Russia quit the pact on Saturday, accusing Kyiv of targeting its naval fleet in the Black Sea following claims of a Ukrainian drone attack on its warships.

Moscow’s withdrawal threatened a rare example of wartime co-operation that has allowed more than 9mn tonnes of Ukrainian agricultural products to reach international markets, helping forestall a global food crisis.

Igor Konashenkov, Russia’s defence ministry spokesman, said Kyiv had offered written guarantees that it would not use Ukraine’s grain-exporting ports or the export corridor “to conduct combat operations against Russia”.

Konashenkov said Ukraine had agreed to abide by rules set under the UN and Turkey’s mediation, which he said was “sufficient” to return to the deal.

Ukraine did not immediately comment on what guarantees it had given to Russia. Kyiv has complained that Russia is continuing to use its Black Sea fleet to launch air strikes on Ukraine, including a series of crippling attacks on energy infrastructure in recent weeks — and has repeatedly denied using the grain corridor to conduct its own strikes.

Amir Abdulla, UN co-ordinator for the grain agreement, said in a post on Twitter that he was “grateful for the Turkish facilitation” and that he welcomed the return of Russia to the deal.

After Turkey’s announcement, wheat futures fell 6.4 per cent at $8.45 a bushel, while corn was down 2.4 per cent at $6.81 a bushel. Insurers at the Lloyd’s of London consortium said they had resumed offering quotes to cover vessels under the grain deal.

“The best way to understand the meaning of Black Sea Grain Initiative is to look at the market reaction after [the deal’s] stabilisation,” said Oleksandr Kubrakov, Ukraine’s infrastructure minister, in a tweet.

Turkey’s foreign minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu said previously on Wednesday that Russia had made “security demands” after the weekend attack but did not elaborate.

Çavuşoğlu was quoted as telling a panel that Moscow also wanted to export more of its own agricultural products that were part of the agreement.

“Russian fertiliser and grains are not on the list of sanctions but ships that will carry these are unable to dock, [insurance] payments are not being made. The ships of many countries are hesitant about transporting these cargos,” Çavuşoğlu said.

The original grain agreement was brokered in July by the UN and Ankara to end Russia’s blockade of grain, food and fertiliser exports via Ukraine’s ports after Moscow’s full-scale invasion of its neighbour in February.

Ukraine is also seeking to lift Russia’s blockade on other commodities including steel, another key source of hard currency for Kyiv.

Ukraine is one of the world’s leading suppliers of grain and other agricultural products. Food security experts have warned that shortages triggered by the war will have serious consequences for poor countries already facing a crisis caused by the impact of climate change and the Covid-19 pandemic.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
"love" FT both siding everything:
[quote]
...and has repeatedly denied using the grain corridor to conduct its own strikes....
[quote]
You know what else denies it? Basic geography.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

On the Sevanstopol attack:

Boat Poast

Looks like nothing was sunk by the attack on Sevanstopol
https://twitter.com/COUPSURE/status/1587718648474615808?s=20&t=rnvTo2bXlziGET9MXeVwQw
https://twitter.com/COUPSURE/status/1587718656158490626?s=20&t=rnvTo2bXlziGET9MXeVwQw
https://twitter.com/MT_Anderson/status/1587525142543884288?s=20&t=rnvTo2bXlziGET9MXeVwQw\
One may have more serious damage though -
https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1587756366759972865?s=20&t=rnvTo2bXlziGET9MXeVwQw
Ukraine is rebuilding their navy, fairly slowly for obvious reasons.
https://twitter.com/CovertShores/status/1587739751360204801?s=20&t=rnvTo2bXlziGET9MXeVwQw
More in the article but this is the key bit

quote:

The newly delivered ‘Defiant’ patrol boats are already operating in the Black Sea.

The 40 foot (12.2 meters) long ‘40 Defiant’ is built by Metal Shark in Franklin, Louisiana. Two Cummins QSB 6.7 diesel engines, driving twin water jets, allow it to reach speeds of up to 40 knots. The welded aluminum monohull design includes ballistic protection to increase combat survivability.

In 2017 the U.S. Navy selected the Defiant, to be known as the 40 PB, to replace existing Coastal Riverine Forces (CRF) boats. Now 6 of these have been supplied to Ukraine as part of a package following the Russian invasion.

In U.S. Navy service they can be equipped with remote operated weapons stations. In Ukrainian service they have been shown with crew operated weapons. These include two M2 .50 Cal Browning heavy machine guns, a Mk.19 automatic grenade launcher and an M240 7.56mm medium machine gun. These weapons can be rapidly switched to other pedestal mounted systems.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

FishMcCool posted:

Since the grain deal withdrawal didn't exactly work out as planned, they want back in:

https://www.rte.ie/news/ukraine/2022/1102/1332709-ukraine-russia/

:allears:

This is why. Also a good example on how to deal with Putin. When Turkey shot down a russian fighter jet in Syria there was also a bit of quiet bleating, otherwise no response whatsoever

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

I don't think using Russia as a strategic counterweight to give you leverage on the west so they permit your own land grabs is a policy to be emulated, no

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

KitConstantine posted:

More in the article but this is the key bit

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Payndz posted:

Lula's always been a bit of a tankie, but Bolsonaro is such a massive bootlicker that somehow this is actually an improvement. It's damning with faint praise, but Lula's dirt-eating stance on the war is slightly better than Bolsonaro's subterranean takes.

https://mil.in.ua/en/news/new-award-rates-for-captured-russians-set-in-ukraine/

The reward for capturing a Russian prisoner is supposedly,

quote:

Donbas fighters – $200;
Enlisted personnel and sergeants, warrant officers – $300;
Former criminal prisoners from the Russian Federation – $300;
Junior Officer – $400;
Senior Officers and special forces operators – $500;
Special forces operators and Afghans from the so-called “Private Companies” – $600;
So-called kadyrovtsi – $700.

It appears it's entirely based on how useful they are for prisoner exchanges to get Ukrainians back from Russia. Because Chechnya is run as a modern feudal domain, Kadyrov's TikTok killers are always get ransomed or exchanged. They are his brutal, murderous thugs, and Kadyrov takes care of the violent assholes who swear fealty to him. Note this is not all chechens, just Kadyrov's gang. Meanwhile Donbas fighters are almost never get ransomed or exchanged, so they are worth the least.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.

It's a tough little ship.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Plotac 75 posted:

It's a tough little ship.

Little?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

ZombieLenin posted:

Speaking of which, I see the Russian Federation is “back in” on the grain deal, which says to me the Black Sea Fleet has been incapacitated to the point that the Russian Federation realizes it’s withdraw from the deal is toothless and makes Russia look impotent.

This and then they figured out they can cause more harm participating than by not.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Fwiw I think people in Latin America or Africa are allowed to have dog poo poo opinions on events on European periphery that they can't affect anyway, it's not like the cast majority of Europeans, including those in power, have the ability to form good faith informed opinions about their countries either

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

So grain inspections.

Grain loading is regulated under the SOLAS treaty under the IGC international grain code. Each competent authority has to ensure vessels are loaded properly under the code. In the states this was deferred by USCG by several NVIC to a not for profit that was closely involved in the original development of the original rules and revisions of the rules.

Vessels loading grain have to have approximately clean “grain clean” cargo holds. “Found to be free of rust paint scale and prior cargo residue. Hatch covers and gaskets in good condition. Bilges clean and dry.” This is usually determined by physical inspection at anchorage. The vessels also have to present a stability calculation, that shows that if a shift were to occur the resulting list would be less than 12 degrees. This is not just a print out from the vessels Stability computer and generally is generate manually directly from the grain stability books approved by class on the vessel. During loading the vessel is periodically attended. Full hold most be full to the tops of the coamings. Slack holds must be trim and level (flat surface rather than a big pile). At the end the actual conditions and drafts are used to prepare a final calculation reflecting actual conditions. This can be tricky depending on draft restrictions at the discharge or loading port. Also grain is an agricultural commodity meaning the density and stowage factor in the hold can change which can affect trim and the loading plan.

Anyway even under good conditions vessels can and do fuckup which is usually... expensive. With a malignant party looking to make it hard...

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Longish mix

Russia deepening ties with North Korea
https://twitter.com/ArtyomLukin/status/1587621649733636098?s=20&t=rnvTo2bXlziGET9MXeVwQw
Apparently the rumors that NK was sending Russia ammo were confirmed by the US state department but :shrug:
Conscripts have a tough time making it out of training alive. Better shorten training then! - Russian commanders, probably
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1587784085673574400?s=20&t=rnvTo2bXlziGET9MXeVwQwConscripts have a tough time making it out of training alive. Better shorten training then!
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1587784085673574400?s=20&t=rnvTo2bXlziGET9MXeVwQw
Also some ranting about how Sabatours should be put to death
https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1587809782282469376?s=20&t=rnvTo2bXlziGET9MXeVwQw
https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1587810651522695168?s=20&t=rnvTo2bXlziGET9MXeVwQw
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1587780156109750274?s=20&t=d90xhEPTb5SreaQOYEA9oA
Good thread on where Russia appears to be setting up their lines across the river
https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1587726245160271873?s=20&t=rnvTo2bXlziGET9MXeVwQw
https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1587726251359338496?s=20&t=rnvTo2bXlziGET9MXeVwQw
https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1587726256128368640?s=20&t=rnvTo2bXlziGET9MXeVwQw
https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1587726260872019969?s=20&t=rnvTo2bXlziGET9MXeVwQw
https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1587726265494159360?s=20&t=rnvTo2bXlziGET9MXeVwQw
Russia appears to be setting up pre-fab bunkers in the above outlined area
https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1587756317686513672?s=20&t=rnvTo2bXlziGET9MXeVwQw
Doesn't include flooded areas- map of what those would be
https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1583201265873432576?s=20&t=rnvTo2bXlziGET9MXeVwQw
Article about how Ukraine is gearing up for Kherson - https://intellinews.com/ukraine-s-63rd-brigade-gears-up-for-kherson-push-261060/
https://twitter.com/Ayei_Eloheichem/status/1587697076845936640?s=20&t=rnvTo2bXlziGET9MXeVwQw
Excerpts but really read the whole thing. it's very good.

quote:

“We took this position a few weeks ago – you can see we’re still preparing the trenches,” says Bohdan, a 27-year old Ukrainian army reservist called up in April. “They’ve mostly left us alone since then,” he adds, gesturing out past the treeline towards Russian lines further south.

The soldiers’ easy demeanour reflects the confidence they are feeling. Over the last two months, momentum in the war has clearly swung towards Ukraine’s side. The collapse of Russian lines in northeastern Kharkiv oblast in early September was a shock even to the Ukrainians themselves, as they quickly seized back more than 8,000 square kilometres of territory, driving Russian troops back to the border.

Here, the fighting has been more difficult: A concurrent offensive in Kherson made only fitful gains, facing off against much of Moscow’s remaining professional troops, transferred here in the months before. The advances into northeast Kherson in early October were hard-won.

The brigade’s commanders affirm that the shelling has lessened substantially.

“This morning they were hitting us, but nothing like what they used to,” says Nazar, a 38-year-old officer from Lviv. “The intensity is much lower than a month and a half ago. They still fire on us – GRADs, Uragans [rocket artillery], heavy howitzers – but we control the situation now,” Nazar says.

“We’ve already seen their mobilised men [here],” Nazar says. “You can tell immediately by their level of preparation – much lower [than what we’re used to seeing].” Asked to describe that level, Nazar gives two words: “cannon fodder”.

“I’ve worked with American commanders and advisors,” Nazar says. “They have a great phrase: ‘do as I do’. It’s their motto, and I try to follow it as well.

“Russian commanders, on the other hand, they give orders and tasks to their soldiers without knowing how they will achieve them. Then they sit back while their troops fight, not caring how many of them will die or not. In order for your soldiers to trust you, they must see that you are not somewhere far away, but there at the forward positions with them. That’s the exact opposite of how Russian officers think,” he says.

“Let’s put it this way,” Nazar says. “I would like to conquer Yalta [in occupied Crimea] tomorrow. We would all like that, but I understand that it’s not quite possible yet. We will take Kherson when we consider it right.

“Are we ready to enter Kherson now? Yes, we are ready. Can we do it? If we really want it, then yes. But we have to understand what human losses we are going to have. The most important thing is people’s lives. As a commander, I have to do everything to get all the people who came to me on the 24th of February home – to see the end of the war,” he says.

There's more - definitely worth reading

Another oil depot hit today too
https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1587821485510500353?s=20&t=rnvTo2bXlziGET9MXeVwQw
maybe two? unclear
https://twitter.com/WarMonitor3/status/1587822337776402432?s=20&t=rnvTo2bXlziGET9MXeVwQw
A look inside their trenches:
https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1587701039699853318?s=20&t=rnvTo2bXlziGET9MXeVwQw

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

ZombieLenin posted:

My understanding is that blockades are prima facie illegal even during a declared war between two states.

That’s why nothing is ever called a blockade anymore. Ships can be stopped and seized or turned around if they are carrying contraband of war—weapons or the material to make them.

Even during the First World War the Entente ‘blockade’ wasn’t called as such. In practice it was one because the Entente, and later the American co-belligerents classified—very ‘illegally ‘ mind you—anything the German military could use, including food and medicine, “contraband of war.”

And of course, if you are classifying anything a government’s military members could possibly “use” as contraband, you’ve played a legal game and managed to blockade everything while still saying “no illegal blockade of merchant traffic here.”

Yeah, as far as I can tell the rules of international blockades in particular are something of a game of Calvinball and basically comes down to "We invested a lot of time, money, and effort in a navy and now that we're at war we are absolutely going to make use of it and we're not going to let it go to waste because of legal loopholes, so if you want us to not blockade the question is what are you going to do about it?"

That's not a question people could easily answer with regards to the US or the British Empire. The answer is much simplified with Russia, as we've seen.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

KitConstantine posted:

Good thread on where Russia appears to be setting up their lines across the river
https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1587726245160271873?s=20&t=rnvTo2bXlziGET9MXeVwQw

That's a massively long line of defense. They will need a lot of units (and supplies) to garrison it properly - all the while Ukraine can pummel it with artillery. If Russia end up evicted or withdrawing from Kherson, then falling back to those lines will just give them a massive stretch of frontline to suck up supplies and manpower - and Ukraine can shift their offensive capabilities to Zaporizhzhia and/or Donbas after securing Kherson. Putin really does seem intent on bleeding away every ounce of Russian military and economic power to postpone the inevitable defeat. Yeah, I get rivers are natural barriers and the Dniepr is a pretty massive example of such, but still, this war is getting increasingly modern, and Russian tactics keep regressing in the opposite direction. The strikes against infrastructure is the only real bite (disgusting as it may be) the Russian forces have shown recently - I do think that while in a military sense they aren't that effective - at a strategic level they are very cost-effective and deal a lot of economic and civic morale damage without evoking the same international ire as strikes against residential, educational and commercial buildings.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Oh almost forgot about seeing this - Nordstream released some more details on the nordstream pipeline damage -https://www.nord-stream.com/press-info/press-releases/incident-on-the-nord-stream-pipeline-updated-02112022-529/
https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1587806021505908739?s=20&t=pgRgIg5pI57qFSqbP9Atfg
Portion from today:

quote:

As of 2 November 2022, Nord Stream AG has completed initial data gathering at the location of the pipeline damage on Line 1 in the Swedish exclusive economic zone.

According to preliminary results of the damage site inspection, technogenic craters with a depth of 3 to 5 meters were found on the seabed at a distance of about 248 m from each other. The section of the pipe between the craters is destroyed, the radius of pipe fragments dispersion is at least 250 m. Experts continue to analyse the survey data.

So ongoing

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

So it's dead and never coming back, which we knew already.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Do we have any information on whether the US is going to pull its Ukraine support after the midterms if the GOP wins? It seems there's a lot of strong indicators they might do this and Putin is counting on it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kraftwerk posted:

Do we have any information on whether the US is going to pull its Ukraine support after the midterms if the GOP wins? It seems there's a lot of strong indicators they might do this and Putin is counting on it.

There are no strong indicators for this. Consider searching the thread for one of the like 10 discussions on this in the past 2 months.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

The MAGA fascists would, Republican Classic™️ would not. I don’t think the former can act without the support of the latter.

And at any rate, lend-lease is locked in, plus funding authorized for next year already. That could theoretically be undone but it won’t reach the levels needed to beat a veto. So if there’s a red wave, 2024 is when things start to get a bit iffy, and then mainly for civilian funding like government salaries.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

MikeC posted:

I read that report a few days ago and it seems to be written from a perspective of an American BCT going 1 on 1 with a Russian BTG over some piece of terrain but isn't an American BCT a much larger organization than a Russian BTG and would they necessarily line up one-to-one? Wouldn't a hypothetical scenario where the two sides have force parity in numbers see an American BCT face off against multiple Russian BTGs?

Yes, you're correct. The author's premise is that the BTG is vulnerable due to its task organization. For example, it really only has one command post; US battalions have two. The BTG has very little organic maintenance or vehicle recovery assets, so stringing it out along a long line of supply makes it vulnerable. BTGs carry little organic supply. Theoretically a Russian brigade or regiment would have these assets, but doctrinally they sit further to the rear. That makes more sense if you assume the front is only 10-12 km deep from the forward line of contact, and in fact can help you protect those assets. What we're seeing in Ukraine, though, is that assets are under threat of indirect fire 50km or more from the forward line of contact. So now the BTGs 1) have fewer support assets immediately available; and 2) they're no more protected than if they were more available.

Also, Russian brigades simply don't have the same logistics and support capabilities a US BCT does. Russian BTGs are fundamentally brittle; they can throw down a lot of combat power, but are one bad artillery strike away from running around without any command assets, or without any mechanics. They have all of this artillery and EW assets, but can't coordinate them easily with maneuver formations outside of that BTG.

Contrast to what we see Ukraine doing, where they can kind-of-sort-of crowd source indirect fire from assets which might be in entirely different headquarters.

mrfart posted:

They even have a flotilla at Astrakhan for the Caspian sea. I don't know if that's just a handful of tugboats or something like it.

To be fair, there's less and less Caspian Sea every year to patrol.

Sekenr posted:

This is why. Also a good example on how to deal with Putin. When Turkey shot down a russian fighter jet in Syria there was also a bit of quiet bleating, otherwise no response whatsoever

drat. I played an old hex-based wargame called Sixth Fleet years ago, and I don't remember the Turkish navy being that large. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ynglaur posted:

Yes, you're correct. The author's premise is that the BTG is vulnerable due to its task organization. For example, it really only has one command post; US battalions have two. The BTG has very little organic maintenance or vehicle recovery assets, so stringing it out along a long line of supply makes it vulnerable. BTGs carry little organic supply. Theoretically a Russian brigade or regiment would have these assets, but doctrinally they sit further to the rear. That makes more sense if you assume the front is only 10-12 km deep from the forward line of contact, and in fact can help you protect those assets. What we're seeing in Ukraine, though, is that assets are under threat of indirect fire 50km or more from the forward line of contact. So now the BTGs 1) have fewer support assets immediately available; and 2) they're no more protected than if they were more available.

Also, Russian brigades simply don't have the same logistics and support capabilities a US BCT does. Russian BTGs are fundamentally brittle; they can throw down a lot of combat power, but are one bad artillery strike away from running around without any command assets, or without any mechanics. They have all of this artillery and EW assets, but can't coordinate them easily with maneuver formations outside of that BTG.

IIRC they're also extremely light on supporting infantry, which means they're vulnerable to the sort of ATGM ambush tactics the Ukrainians have shown themselves to be masters of.