Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I hate cars too, but do you imagine that they’re going to eschew all mechanization for some reason? Does anyone itt have actual exposure to the realities of agriculture? If I’m gonna farm my food Im gonna get an old tractor (pre-John Deere software bullshit) to make the labor less backbreaking. Doubt many old tractors come with automatic transmissions.

Hell, I knew some kids whose pacifist family basically did the tweet and lived simply, farming their own food and staying below the poverty line to ensure they didn’t contribute monetarily to US imperialism. They rode bikes most places but still had a tractor because this isn’t 1870 and agriculture is hard loving work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Loucks posted:

I hate cars too, but do you imagine that they’re going to eschew all mechanization for some reason? Does anyone itt have actual exposure to the realities of agriculture? If I’m gonna farm my food Im gonna get an old tractor (pre-John Deere software bullshit) to make the labor less backbreaking. Doubt many old tractors come with automatic transmissions.

Hell, I knew some kids whose pacifist family basically did the tweet and lived simply, farming their own food and staying below the poverty line to ensure they didn’t contribute monetarily to US imperialism. They rode bikes most places but still had a tractor because this isn’t 1870 and agriculture is hard loving work.

The pastoralist thing is currently an Instagram aesthetic where you imagine yourself as a blond haired blue eyed girl wearing a hand embroidered dress frolicking through the forest foraging mushrooms to bring back to your thatch roofed cottage where you prepare them on your wood fired stove. It has zero connection to any sort of reality where you have to do actual work to live like this and entirely to do with what accessories can be set out for a good photo for Instagram

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Loucks posted:

I hate cars too, but

Stopped reading

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Dog Case posted:

The pastoralist thing is currently an Instagram aesthetic where you imagine yourself as a blond haired blue eyed girl wearing a hand embroidered dress frolicking through the forest foraging mushrooms to bring back to your thatch roofed cottage where you prepare them on your wood fired stove. It has zero connection to any sort of reality where you have to do actual work to live like this and entirely to do with what accessories can be set out for a good photo for Instagram

See this is context I dont have because I don’t have instagram pr Facebook or any of that awful poo poo. Never mind. Carry on.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dog Case posted:

Not pictured is the part where you have to do this for 12 hours/day and you are only barely not starving.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

There's a posh neighborhood in Philly called Chestnut Hill. It's served by two regional rail stations and two different lines, however it is possible to take a train between the two. These wacky boys undertook that voyage

Lots of great Philadelphia train station video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYKYVCylh6c

It takes them about an hour and 20 minutes each leg of the journey. At the end they walk between the two stations and it takes 5.5 minutes

god drat america.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

they don’t want subsistence farmer life they want landowner life

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My ancestors' skills involved a lot of genocide so I'll probably just figure out my own thing

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

BonHair posted:

The concept of paying for public transport is pretty dumb in the first place, just tons of effort wasted on something that adds zero value.

people say this a lot without realizing that it's because they have internalized the idea that public transit is charity for poor people. in most major metropolitan areas the yearly cost of taking public transit is lower than just the parking fees accrued using a car to commute to work, let alone all other car related expenses. public transit is already affordable for almost everyone, the problem is that public transit is garbage. with the expection of 2 or 3 metropolitan areas, public transit takes 4x as long to get people where they're going. that's why most people pay 8 times as much to own a car the moment they can afford it to get off the lovely bus, because they get 8+ hours of their life back every week

im not against helping the poor btw, but making public transit free doesn't necessarily do that and it reinforces the idea that public transit is just a bare minimum option of last resort for the deserving poor

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
In America in many places it is literally too expensive for the poor. When i've done jury duty they've literally given me bus passes and such because so many people can't even get downtown for it.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

The past, huh. Sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frL-TUr-ApI

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

dxt posted:

But we need a way to keep undesirables off the trains.

They're already in their cars though?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

jettisonedstuff posted:

people say this a lot without realizing that it's because they have internalized the idea that public transit is charity for poor people. in most major metropolitan areas the yearly cost of taking public transit is lower than just the parking fees accrued using a car to commute to work, let alone all other car related expenses. public transit is already affordable for almost everyone, the problem is that public transit is garbage. with the expection of 2 or 3 metropolitan areas, public transit takes 4x as long to get people where they're going. that's why most people pay 8 times as much to own a car the moment they can afford it to get off the lovely bus, because they get 8+ hours of their life back every week

im not against helping the poor btw, but making public transit free doesn't necessarily do that and it reinforces the idea that public transit is just a bare minimum option of last resort for the deserving poor

Thinking about the two years when I walked six miles round-trip to work because I couldn't afford the $90 a month a transit pass cost

(not that a six mile walk is a hardship in your twenties, but public transit definitely wasn't affordable on $6 an hour)

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006
i mean, in this fantasy world where free public transit is politically viable it's a better choice to do UBI or raise the minimum wage or something

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

BonHair posted:

They're already in their cars though?

no you see we need to keep the poors off the train so that the good moneyed people will take the train instead of driving (they will never do this)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Train tracks everywhere, but the trains only stop at golf courses, luxury resorts, private clinics and exclusive gated communities.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

jettisonedstuff posted:

i mean, in this fantasy world where free public transit is politically viable it's a better choice to do UBI or raise the minimum wage or something

“politically viable”

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

jettisonedstuff posted:

If we limit ourselves to what is politically viable in the U.S. currently, may as well just give the gently caress up entirely.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, fares don't really have much to do with levels of investment in infrastructure/capital expenditures (beyond personnel costs). That is usually at a higher (usually state/federal) level.

If anything, you would want to make public transit as cheap as possible to get people to use it to pressure the government to stop skipping on investment.

----

That said, if you want a don't want a car but want a decent quality of live you pretty much have to live in a different country at this point. I don't think the NYC subway getting better in the future, and the DC metro really isn't any better.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
i've said this before itt but my favorite part of the orlando commuter rail is that the grift involved in running the fare system cost more than the amount of money they collected.

I don't know if it ever went positive but

quote:

It's no secret that tickets bought by SunRail passengers pay only a tiny fraction of the commuter train's bills, but less known is that ticket revenue doesn't even cover the cost of selling tickets.

SunRail's finances would be slightly stronger if riding was free. Put another way, the revenue of $1 to $7.50 per ticket is devoured by ticket machines, employees who support ticket sales and armored cars that collect fares, and does nothing to keep the train running.

SunRail's operator, the Florida Department of Transportation, had two responses: the commuter train would be wildly or even possibly too popular if there was no charge; and, when the current service of 31 miles is doubled in coming years, ticket income may exceed ticket expenses.

Dyer asked whether with a coming route expansion ticketing "will at least break even?"

"That would be hopeful," said Nicola Liquori, DOT's director of SunRail.

just the most hilarious lib-brained "thinking". People might USE this thing we spent hundreds of millions building! we can't have that! It'd reduce congestion on I4 and we couldn't get hundreds of billions of federal dollars to add just one more lane bro, just one more lane i swear it'll solve traffic just one more lane

just checked for '22 and looks like a half million on fare collection vs 1.4m on fares now, so they got costs down and went positive.

Funnier fact: they own the rails and charge CSX and Amtrak to use them. That's $5m/year in revenue or 5x the net profit on fares.

Naturally the largest income source is the $24 million in grants.

Harik has issued a correction as of 23:18 on Nov 1, 2022

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
1083 people use the train each day

17,000 people take I4's pay-to-bypass-traffic lanes each day.

I4 itself is 160,000 vehicles per day, estimated

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Harik posted:

I4 itself is 160,000 vehicles per day, estimated

And that's just vehicles. It's gotta be at least 162,000 passengers total, maybe 163.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

jettisonedstuff posted:

King County Metro (seattles bus service) basically made buses completely free during covid because they didnt want people near the drivers (bunch of drivers died early on from covid) and it made zero difference to the bottom line.

Just make it free for good.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
The only purpose for charging money to use mass transit is to reduce the number of people using mass transit. That's it, that's the goal.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Garbage state.

https://twitter.com/alexisdomm/status/1587610392854872064

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Tendales posted:

The only purpose for charging money to use mass transit is to reduce the number of people using mass transit. That's it, that's the goal.

these seems obviously untrue internationally, even looking at the most successful systems that transport large numbers of disadvantaged people.

free transit is cool but it's also cool to know things about how the world work

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Dog Case posted:

Blonde hair blue eyed huh. I think I'm starting to understand why they're doing it

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

jettisonedstuff posted:

I mean, obviously do flat income or UBI first if that was remotely on the table anywhere.

As I see it though, public transport cost is more or less completely divorced from how many people use it. For intra city daytime, you want service at least every 10 minutes with whatever reasonable coverage, and that just has a base cost in terms of number of busses, drivers, trains and so on. Costs the same until you get full loads of passengers, at which point you scale up obviously. But it's essentially a fixed cost to have viable public transport. In my mind, this means that it makes sense to just forgo the bureaucracy and hassle and raise taxes by 0.001 dollars per year or whatever.

Political realities are different though. But realpolitik is the first step towards liberalism.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I take back what I said about r/fuckcars being OK. They're EV superfans over there.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I take back what I said about r/fuckcars being OK. They're EV superfans over there.

The anticar people on Reddit seem to genuinely think that every American owned a horse prior to the automobile and that all we’ve got to do is swap them in for cars and change nothing else about our lifestyles.

The modern American brain is fundamentally broken and cannot imagine a world where we walk to places.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The anticar people on Reddit seem to genuinely think that every American owned a horse prior to the automobile and that all we’ve got to do is swap them in for cars and change nothing else about our lifestyles.

The modern American brain is fundamentally broken and cannot imagine a world where we walk to places.

the modern american ideal is a Razer Kraken Gaming Chair on an elaborate system of conveyor belts that just moves them around from Work station to Leisure station

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
WALL-E future was seen as something to aspire to

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I don't know how many times I have to tell people that rural communities are not inherently spread out. I grew up in an Appalachian town with a population of about 200. It was founded around 1900. In the old town everything was in walking distance -- the bank, the post office, the railroad, the school, the fire department, the general store. And the houses were in a fairly dense grid next to all of that. The modern rural environment, where everyone's houses are miles apart simply because they can be, is a total function of cars rather than an inherent quality of the rural environment. There are obvious exceptions, namely farmers and poor landowners, but man, people need to read a history book.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

there was an infamous post in r/askhistorians or something where someone asked where the romans parked all their carts and chariots when they went into rome to watch games at the coliseum lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I think most people there are extremely anti EV but for some reason it seems prone to being overrun or vote brigaded by pro car people

Maybe it's just that new people keep joining who aren't on the same page, idk

In general I think everyone imagines that if they were living in ancient times, they would be aristocrats rather than serfs, and that the same will apply if we somehow revert back to that kind of society

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

If anything, the sub seems mostly pro bike and walkable cities, with hating cars being the glue that holds everything together. Considering how garbage most subs get once they get the least bit popular (occasionally showing up on the front page of r/all) they're good. They even have pretty good faith interpretations of events like this compared to the usual bloodlust you see on reddit.

I don't sub, but I do check it out when this thread is slow and I need to amp myself up on hating cars.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don't know how many times I have to tell people that rural communities are not inherently spread out. I grew up in an Appalachian town with a population of about 200. It was founded around 1900. In the old town everything was in walking distance -- the bank, the post office, the railroad, the school, the fire department, the general store. And the houses were in a fairly dense grid next to all of that. The modern rural environment, where everyone's houses are miles apart simply because they can be, is a total function of cars rather than an inherent quality of the rural environment. There are obvious exceptions, namely farmers and poor landowners, but man, people need to read a history book.

And even those farmers are probably only living a couple miles away from a small 100-200 person town with a general store, post office, etc. they're not out in the wilderness homesteading on 50,000 acre ranches like the big corporate farms. My grandma lives in one of those towns and is still able to walk to the post office at 90 because it's literally 300 feet away. The amish out there are extremely cool and friendly and always load us up with whoopie pies :D

BeeSeeBee has issued a correction as of 21:36 on Nov 2, 2022

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

i sometimes drive to the grocery store that is literally across the street because i hate crosswalks

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Spergin Morlock posted:

i sometimes drive to the grocery store that is literally across the street because i hate crosswalks

Yeah it sucks that they design traffic patterns to encourage car use like that

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/SNCF/status/1586694019807051777?t=DhHq3kD8JFIEkK4Tzoq-fA&s=19

SNCF 's stance on free* transport seems good to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

the new application actually sucks rear end so this might just be lovely code