Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
This came up a few years ago when everyone was recommending stuff to stay warm. Then as now, no one has mentioned slippers.
You don't want to be wearing outdoors shoes all day, especially if they get wet and a pair of cheap slippers keeping your feet warm makes all the difference to comfort.
(I'm paranoid about my bills, and only use the heating to keep the chill of the house and stop mould even without powercuts ! )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm sure I mentioned my furry booties that I have for indoors last time, though tbh I just sit on my feet under a pile of blankets which helps.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Renfield posted:

This came up a few years ago when everyone was recommending stuff to stay warm. Then as now, no one has mentioned slippers.
You don't want to be wearing outdoors shoes all day, especially if they get wet and a pair of cheap slippers keeping your feet warm makes all the difference to comfort.
(I'm paranoid about my bills, and only use the heating to keep the chill of the house and stop mould even without powercuts ! )

Yeah, good point.

My wife's aunt bought us some Heat Holders socks when we moved to Canada and they're good. Great thick fleecey buggers. A pair of those plus some bootie stile slippers will sort you right out. Or just merino wool socks. I recommend merino everything. Really keeps the heat in but it's also wicking and breatheable and antibacterial/antifungal so you don't turn into a horrible sweaty smelly mess. I've worn merino tops/long pants/socks whilst out for a day's skiing in temps below -10°C and it really does the trick.

Not that expensive either - currently there are men's merino base layer tops on amazon for £13: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mountain-W...pons&th=1&psc=1

Should mention we also bought some emergency mylar blanket thingies - mostly to keep in the car, since one of my nightmare scenarios is being out in a blizzard or something and crashing or breaking down and having to wait for hours in -30°C, but it's good to know I have them in the house too just in case.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 2, 2022

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

WhatEvil posted:

Should mention we also bought some emergency mylar blanket thingies - mostly to keep in the car, since one of my nightmare scenarios is being out in a blizzard or something and crashing or breaking down and having to wait for hours in -30°C, but it's good to know I have them in the house too just in case.

You can also use these in the summer to keep the bastard sun out of your windows when we've got the other sort of wrong weather.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If humans were the size of hamsters then you could just go out in the cold and die and then they could microwave you back to life without any issue.

I think some of those frogs do a similar thing.

Also as Pratchett said about the Pictsies

quote:

A dollar for a human bought a loaf of bread that was eaten in a few bites. The same dollar for Wee Mad Arthur bought the same-sized loaf, but it was food for a week and could then be further hollowed out and used as a bedroom.

Anyway I'm putting this in the patch requests for the next version of people. Far too big.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What they should have done is shave off a lot of the brain meat and make it so they can network and get smarter the more of them you have together, rather than currently where they seem to get stupider and all of the individual processing power is used on memes and conspiracy theories, like a fleshy cryptocurrency.

Alternatively, if microwaves work on hamsters, surely macrowaves work on humans.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Oh that's why they were keeping AM radio up until recently, it was keeping the queen going.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

OwlFancier posted:

I'm sure I mentioned my furry booties that I have for indoors last time, though tbh I just sit on my feet under a pile of blankets which helps.

I need to get new furry booties. Anyone recommend some?

I still vaguely think that going to live in the stable and using the muck heap to fuel a cooking fire would be depressingly plausible if everything goes to poo poo :(

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was given a nice pair from next as a present some years ago, but they're probably expensive because next generally is. Also they are going a little bit around the hem.

I would suggest getting some when they're selling off the winter range but that's not helpful right now. But there's lots to choose from at the moment and they're also like crack for old people so you can probably find some extremely thick, reasonably priced ones in like, B&M or boyes, or yorkshire trading (dunno if you have yorkshire trading outside of yorkshire)

E: wtf why is boyes like a middlesbrough only thing, how the gently caress do you survive without boyes.

tk max used to do some decent multipacks of thick socks but I dunno if they still do.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I suppose it not just the boots, the whole suit would keep you quite warm.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Apocalyptic in 15-20 years!

https://twitter.com/ClimateBen/status/1587576760509546498?t=lPaTBROkpsKvIEj-Wje2Uw&s=19

Although I love the idea that they are suddenly demanding a pivot away from fossil fuels. This is a thing that they are only now starting to demand!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Great, more things to add to the list of horrible future events I can do nothing about.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Sounds like a problem for 14-19 years time.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Apocalyptic in 15-20 years!

https://twitter.com/ClimateBen/status/1587576760509546498?t=lPaTBROkpsKvIEj-Wje2Uw&s=19

Although I love the idea that they are suddenly demanding a pivot away from fossil fuels. This is a thing that they are only now starting to demand!

But will this affect shareholders in the next quarter?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I mean the UN were already predicting 1 billion climate migrants by 2050. Sounds pretty apocalyptic to me.

Of course if you're an island nation and you've got a population who's been whipped up into a frenzy against foreigners by a fascist press and government, who are all willing - nay salivating - to personally man the machine-gun emplacements on your 30ft coastal walls then climate migrants aren't much of a problem, I suppose.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I absolutely hate the confidence of the government that they can just do this poo poo and no one even cares or faces consequences because puce faced voters will just nod and say "well they should never have come here" https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/nov/02/home-office-leaves-asylum-seekers-from-manston-stranded-in-central-london

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Rishi is really revving up the culture war.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I bought some old man slippers a few weeks ago and they have been a cracking success so far.

My thermos next to the kettle plan (plus using the oven less often) has seen my electricity usage go down 20%. My bill is only twice what it was this time last year, what a triumph of taking personal responsibility. Self-satisfied glow sure to keep me warm when the power goes out and Shell put their prices up again.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

lmao the unending grift
https://twitter.com/jemimajoanna/status/1587406547948343296

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Private Speech posted:

he’s supposed to be the sensible economic minded one too

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Private Speech posted:

Awfully good of the Albanians to invade Britain right at the point when the government needed everyone to forget how much of a raging garbage fire they've been.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

sassassin posted:

I bought some old man slippers a few weeks ago and they have been a cracking success so far.

Sounds like they might be tap dance shoes?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

i suppose he has seen how well it went for his competitors for the throne and also perhaps has realised they have no economic answers.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Home Office leaves asylum seekers from Manston stranded in central London

Graun posted:

About 50 asylum seekers from Kent were also deposited from a bus by Victoria coach station at around 11pm on Saturday, according to a witness. “They were still on the street at midnight, trying to work out what to do, where to go. They had no money, and hadn’t even been told where they were,” said the witness, an Afghan asylum seeker, who asked not to be named. He has been housed in a nearby hostel for the past 14 months, and watched them arrive. “I was shocked. I tried to help; I showed them where to get free wifi, where to sit and get warm in the station.”

Almost seems like they're trying to copy the republican migrant bussing campaign.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 2, 2022

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
For those of you discussing alternative ways to burn stuff to heat your house, please remember that almost all methods are able to withstand carbon monoxide far more effectively than you can.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Endjinneer posted:

For those of you discussing alternative ways to burn stuff to heat your house, please remember that almost all methods are able to withstand carbon monoxide far more effectively than you can.

Yes get a carbon monoxide monitor.
I just had a new one put in at work after discovering the one they had expired in 2018 :smdh:

One set of my grandparents were found unconscious after getting a CO leak from the gas fire in the living room. They didn't have a monitor and I can't remember how they were found. But they had been getting very drowsy every evening for a few weeks (more than normally so).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Endjinneer posted:

Better write it on a sticky note if you're already using one of those methods.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/nov/02/un-poverty-envoy-tells-britain-this-is-worst-time-for-more-austerity

quote:

The United Nations’ poverty envoy has warned Rishi Sunak that unleashing a new wave of austerity in this month’s budget could violate the UK’s international human rights obligations and increase hunger and malnutrition.

I wonder why he's concerned about that, surely the Conservatives would never cut back on welfare againagainagainagainagainagainagainagainagainagain

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Beefeater1980 posted:

The old die; it’s normal. For the past decade or so, boomers have as individuals had nothing to look forward to except frailty, irrelevance and death, which you’d think would make anyone a bit of a dick, but that’s been the case for every generation. Why are they so much more selfish and horrible to their kids than is usual?

I think it's protagonist syndrome. They're the 'chosen' generation, they got everything handed to them, they took power and they stayed there, clinging onto power rather than handing on the torch, being shown movies of people their age continuing to be action stars and hooking up with young women at increasingly implausible ages, it creates a feeling of inevitable invincibility. The world is their story, future generations don't matter, they're barely even real in their minds - see how long the boomer coddling media kept going on about milllenials as if they were kids even as that cohort was getting into their 40s.

That and all the lead poisoning. Absolutely hosed their brains up all that lead did.

Anyway! On the topic of staying warm chat, this very thread recommended selk bags years ago and I couldn't get through winter without mine.

Just don't use it to the complete exclusion of heating your flat. You'll be fine but black mold-bearing surfaces won't be.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

does it have a bum flap?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Tomberforce posted:

Awfully good of the Albanians to invade Britain right at the point when the government needed everyone to forget how much of a raging garbage fire they've been.

But surely it will make tory voters think the government is worse because they're letting the Albanians in at all.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

it is, doubtless, the eu's fault, or the wokies, who are stopping priti patel from getting in the eva and personally murdering everyone who is the wrong colour.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

bessantj posted:

But surely it will make tory voters think the government is worse because they're letting the Albanians in at all.

Well it does seem to work because opinion polls are going up.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 2, 2022

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

does it have a bum flap?

It does not.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jel Shaker posted:

he’s supposed to be the sensible economic minded one too

This is common knowledge but totally wrong though and only exists because he 'did' furlough and said it wasn't a good idea to cut taxes immediately like Truss did. He's always been an unremarkable pro-austerity, pro-financial sector Tory who got the Chancellorship because he was a nobody and Johnson could tell him what to do. He's keeping Hunt as Chancellor because he's happy to ride the sinking ship downwards while slowly cutting away all the things he can get away with, there's no sensible plan of recovery coming out of Number 10 or 11.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That does, arguably, still make him more sensible than the other candidates who would have spent the budget on extending the cliffs of dover up to Hull, or attaching gendered bathroom signs to every square foot of land in the country.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Private Speech posted:

Well it does seem to work because opinion polls are going up.

I'm slightly surprised that parties like Reform haven't seen bigger growth.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

attaching gendered bathroom signs to every square foot of land in the country.
While excluding the existence of Middlesex people.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

While excluding the existence of Middlesex people.

And being suspicious of the Sussex people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

x

I expect the government to announce £10quadrillion of support for landlords soon.