Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
None of conference alignment would've unfolded differently had the playoff started out at 12 teams or swapped to that format any time between then and the present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

None of conference alignment would've unfolded differently had the playoff started out at 12 teams or swapped to that format any time between then and the present.

Yeah, every AD wants that paper and also thinks they're about a year away from having a football team that will dethrone and kill god, so it doesn't matter what the conference competition level is.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

fast cars loose anus posted:

The proximate cause of all the anger was of course Texas and OU leaving and I wonder if they feel a little dumb now given they've made themselves some money but also a massively more difficult road to the playoffs than being kings of the Big 12 would be.

Texas hasn’t competed for the conference title in a long time, and OU isn’t exactly running away with it every year anymore. I suspect the switch had way more to do with having a more interesting home schedule to sell tickets than anything else (and Texas playing their big rivals again). The void from all the other schools that left the Big XII just got filled by everyone who was already there, and the conference became competitive relatively quickly, same as what will happen when the two “big” schools leave. I am not sure it is any easier than trying to get into the playoff as the second or third SEC choice will be.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

a year away from having a football team that will dethrone and kill god,

Penn State going to throw a sandwich and when Saban bends down to pick it up, Michigan State hits him with a helmet. This year was the test run.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
USC and UCLA couldn't make it to a playoffs in a conference that constantly put a thumb on the scales to try and ensure such a thing would happen so it's definitely not about competition. I mean they can't even win the conference, they got rid of divisions this year to try to make them happy so they could both play in the finals, and, well, that's pretty much not going to happen now unless the wheels fall off Oregon (and Utah has the tiebreaker over USC if they end up tied). It's about money, and a lot of money. More money than anyone can rationally turn down.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

General Dog posted:

Yep, these moves are about money and realizing super conferences and further stratification amongst the current p5 seems inevitable.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Also if you're in the Big Ten or SEC, going forward you're essentially one of 33 teams competing for 8 playoff spots. I don't think OU or USC or anyone else will be weeping in their money shower about the loss of the "easy road" to the playoff that they had in their old conference.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I believe the money would be more spread out had the 12 team format been around earlier as more teams made the playoffs but maybe you all are right and we were always gonna end up with two conferences that matter

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Warbird posted:

Dude’s also 71 as of yesterday. He’ll be done one way or the other before the decade is over. The SEC Honks Fullcas folks mentioned in passing that he’s no longer as hard on the team as he was historically, but that as much a function as NIL as it is him getting old.

I'd imagine that going easier on players probably has more to do with transfer portal than it does with NIL.

drunk leprechaun posted:

Naw it's totally believable. Every commissioner knew someone would get left out, they just thought it wouldn't be their conference. It would be those other suckers in (insert non-SEC conference here).

Plus most of the dumbfuck fans of Big Ten teams would just be happy to play in the Rose Bowl and get run over by some west coast team than get blasted by southerners.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Hey y'all ready to feel old because I remember every one of these

https://www.wbir.com/article/sports...66-fb9547a42b3c

My favorite is that Hooker was born in '98

Nebraska had just won the National Championship the year prior. Hooker wasn't born into a time of Rocky Top greatness. When he was born, Tennessee football's last game was the obliteration of Peyton Manning's final team by Nebraska.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

PBCrunch posted:

I'd imagine that going easier on players probably has more to do with transfer portal than it does with NIL.

Sorry, that’s what I had in mind, yes.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Great, you just hosed up my algorithm with lovely Andy Dick content, thanks

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

Here are provided seats of meditative joy, where shall rise again the destined reign of Troy.

Rick posted:

USC and UCLA couldn't make it to a playoffs in a conference that constantly put a thumb on the scales to try and ensure such a thing would happen so it's definitely not about competition. I mean they can't even win the conference, they got rid of divisions this year to try to make them happy so they could both play in the finals, and, well, that's pretty much not going to happen now unless the wheels fall off Oregon (and Utah has the tiebreaker over USC if they end up tied).

That's...something.

I'd love some evidence of this "the P12 tried to get USC and UCLA to the playoffs" theory you've got. As a USC fan, I can point to PLENTY of examples to the contrary. I'd go so far as saying, at least under Larry Scott, that the conference was actively trying to downplay USC's role in the conference. Hell, if they really wanted USC to win the conference, they could have just cancelled the championship game in the covid year when UW couldn't play instead of putting Oregon in (there was no rule about replacements that season from what I remember). Throw in all of the short week road games, or the season where seemingly every team got a bye the week before playing USC, when USC's bye was in week 13, or the "play Stanford in week 2 every season" crap they've had for a decade...and I'm just not sure the theory holds water from this side of the fandom.

That's like watching the USC/Zona game this last weekend, seeing how the refs messed up the end of the first half, and calling it a "self own" on USC or something.

Rick posted:

USC somehow managed to let the clock run out after catching the football with 10 seconds on the 10.

Arizona is in this due to USC self-owns which makes me nervous but for now I am happy.

Oh...

Tad SG fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 3, 2022

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Just letting anyone in these days!

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1587913434292957184

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

I'd rather it be Wazzu.

Pullman and Morgantown are spiritual brothers.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

PBCrunch posted:

Nebraska had just won the National Championship the year prior. Hooker wasn't born into a time of Rocky Top greatness. When he was born, Tennessee football's last game was the obliteration of Peyton Manning's final team by Nebraska.

then what happened in the 98 season dumbass

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Tad SG posted:

That's...something.

I'd love some evidence of this "the P12 tried to get USC and UCLA to the playoffs" theory you've got. As a USC fan, I can point to PLENTY of examples to the contrary. I'd go so far as saying, at least under Larry Scott, that the conference was actively trying to downplay USC's role in the conference. Hell, if they really wanted USC to win the conference, they could have just cancelled the championship game in the covid year when UW couldn't play instead of putting Oregon in (there was no rule about replacements that season from what I remember). Throw in all of the short week road games, or the season where seemingly every team got a bye the week before playing USC, when USC's bye was in week 13, or the "play Stanford in week 2 every season" crap they've had for a decade...and I'm just not sure the theory holds water from this side of the fandom.

That's like watching the USC/Zona game this last weekend, seeing how the refs messed up the end of the first half, and calling it a "self own" on USC or something.

Oh...

drat you really got me there making a GDT post in the moment when what appeared to happen on the screen was USC hosed up a sure score with their clock management just as the announcers thought as well. I should have issued an error correction. You know instead of giving USC the credit for being the better team like I already was doing, I needed to say that they were even MORE better and only the referees could prevent them from stomping out Arizona like the pitiful worthless bugs that they are. Noted.

But come on. The schedule is always timed out to be convenient to your schools, you get stuck on the PAC-12 network the least often, the conference’s official neutral venue for years was a half hour plane ride from you and you get first pick of opponents in out of conference matchup agreements and you even get to lose the division and steal poor Colorado’s only chance to make the Rose Bowl in modern times anyway.

I like you as a poster so I don’t want to upset you or fight but this is how the pac12 experience has been for me as a non LA school which is always bending over backwards to accommodate schools that aren’t usually that much better anyway (or are in fact definitely worse in basketball).

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Rick posted:

But come on. The schedule is always timed out to be convenient to your schools, you get stuck on the PAC-12 network the least often, the conference’s official neutral venue for years was a half hour plane ride from you and you get first pick of opponents in out of conference matchup agreements and you even get to lose the division and steal poor Colorado’s only chance to make the Rose Bowl in modern times anyway.

You know none of this save the conference champ game location the conference is involved in right?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

ArmZ posted:

then what happened in the 98 season dumbass

Tennessee was on a huge losing streak to UF with their best QB of all time and was freshly ethered by Scott Frost when he was born. He was born into world of Tennessee mediocrity and was a Weinke injury away from continued mediocrity.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

https://twitter.com/gianni_parello/status/1587927887553826816?s=61&t=2bjFHUDKF5aCyDIeuaRMMA

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Makes sense to me, I can’t think of any major schools with an opening in Atlanta itself

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I can

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

drunk leprechaun posted:

You know none of this save the conference champ game location the conference is involved in right?

I mean if they don't then I'm surprised but I'll leave open the possibility.

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

Here are provided seats of meditative joy, where shall rise again the destined reign of Troy.

Rick posted:

This year is actually the first year that I think USC has had what I'd consider a favorable schedule that I can even remember. I'd love some examples of a convenient schedule that USC has had.

Appearances on P12 network, other than an officially mandated "number of times equal to nonconference home games", is entirely based on whether another network wants the game. USC is rarely on the P12 networks because ESPN and Fox generally like to broadcast our games. You can argue "ESPN was picking USC even though they sucked" - but that's not evidence of the P12 favoring USC since they have nothing to do it.

I assume the neutral site you refer to was the Conference championship games in SF - where the conference was headquartered. Seems more like bias toward Cal/Stanford than USC/UCLA...

Not sure what the OOC thing refers to - doesn't every school get to pick OOC matchups? I don't think the conference is involved in that at all.

I live in Oregon, and it always seems to me that Oregon was getting favorable treatment from the P12. But I also have to frame that through my general dislike of the Ducks, and understand that I am likely not framing things rationally.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

General Dog posted:

Makes sense to me, I can’t think of any major schools with an opening in Atlanta itself

Georgia Tech? Or is that the joke?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Tad SG posted:

I live in Oregon, and it always seems to me that Oregon was getting favorable treatment from the P12. But I also have to frame that through my general dislike of the Ducks, and understand that I am likely not framing things rationally.

Yeah I mean every fanbase, including Oregon's as you should know, thinks the conference is out to screw them to benefit another team. Did you miss all the Oregon St fans attributing your win over them to the refs?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

https://twitter.com/Gianni_Parello/status/1587929037883600896?s=20&t=ZwjkIirCDeYiGjHVJvQfkw

LMAO

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

Tennessee was on a huge losing streak to UF with their best QB of all time and was freshly ethered by Scott Frost when he was born. He was born into world of Tennessee mediocrity and was a Weinke injury away from continued mediocrity.

I get the bit you’re going with but lol at calling either of those seasons mediocre even if they had lost to FSU

e: lol going back to ‘95 season they were 45-5

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 3, 2022

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Joey Freshwater posted:

I get the bit you’re going with but lol at calling either of those seasons mediocre even if they had lost to FSU

e: lol going back to ‘95 season they were 45-5

Just trying to give a little balance to this outbreak of Tennessee homerism

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man if me sharing a list of things that happened the last time Tennessee was #1 because it was a funny list gets that kind of a reaction it’ll be real entertaining if we gently caress around and actually win this thing.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Man if me sharing a list of things that happened the last time Tennessee was #1 because it was a funny list gets that kind of a reaction it’ll be real entertaining if we gently caress around and actually win this thing.

Well, it was inaccurate—we weren’t yet living in the horrible world of a Tennessee championship when Hooker was born. :colbert:

Honestly, y’all may just do it.

If y’all can get past UGA, beating Bama twice in a season is a tall order and you may have to beat OSU 70-69 in the playoffs. But that offense is explosive even if you didn’t somehow absolutely explode on the worst UF defense of my lifetime.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
At this point, for me anyway, we’re playing with house money. This season has been amazing and even if we lose to UGA and potentially going 11-1 and playing whoever in the Sugar Bowl so far exceeds what I was expecting out of this season I’d be crazy happy with that.

I mean yeah I’d love all that too but that’s still so far out of the realm of possibility in my mind I can’t believe there’s even a chance.

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

dphi posted:

Yeah I mean every fanbase, including Oregon's as you should know, thinks the conference is out to screw them to benefit another team. Did you miss all the Oregon St fans attributing your win over them to the refs?

Sure- same as USC fans blaming the refs for the Utah loss. When you are on the bad side of head scratching calls, incompetence surely looks like malice.

This was just legitimately the first time I’ve seen the argument that the conference was trying to HELP the Trojans. I mean, it’s the most incompetent help in history of so- which to be fair, would be totally on brand for the Pac12.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Tad SG posted:

This year is actually the first year that I think USC has had what I'd consider a favorable schedule that I can even remember. I'd love some examples of a convenient schedule that USC has had.

Appearances on P12 network, other than an officially mandated "number of times equal to nonconference home games", is entirely based on whether another network wants the game. USC is rarely on the P12 networks because ESPN and Fox generally like to broadcast our games. You can argue "ESPN was picking USC even though they sucked" - but that's not evidence of the P12 favoring USC since they have nothing to do it.

I assume the neutral site you refer to was the Conference championship games in SF - where the conference was headquartered. Seems more like bias toward Cal/Stanford than USC/UCLA...

Not sure what the OOC thing refers to - doesn't every school get to pick OOC matchups? I don't think the conference is involved in that at all.

Yeah maybe this is an instance of bias influencing what I think, I haven't really stopped to chart it out.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Joey Freshwater posted:

At this point, for me anyway, we’re playing with house money. This season has been amazing and even if we lose to UGA and potentially going 11-1 and playing whoever in the Sugar Bowl so far exceeds what I was expecting out of this season I’d be crazy happy with that.

I mean yeah I’d love all that too but that’s still so far out of the realm of possibility in my mind I can’t believe there’s even a chance.

A loss to Georgia doesn't even keep Tennessee out of the playoffs for sure.

But yes, regardless of what happens, this season is special, and especially when everyone with a microphone or keyboard was saying 8-4 was the ceiling.

Also important to remember it's special when Tennessee doesn't do as well next year. There will be regression towards the mean just because Hooker's gone and the recruits aren't ready yet, and dumb people will holler how Heupel did it at UCF so here's the slide.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I Want To Believe

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

A loss might not keep Tennessee out of the playoff but it depends how bad the loss is. If UGA thumps them like they thumped Oregon (which even in my homer brain I know will be impossible) it might take a lot of the shine off and keep them out.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Deion is going to coach the Falcons

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Rick posted:

I mean if they don't then I'm surprised but I'll leave open the possibility.

The way college football TV deals work is that the tier 1 rights holders get to pick their games, then the tier 2, then on down to tier 3 and 4. The Pac12 Network(and all conference networks) hold at best tier 3 rights. Therefore they only get to pick from the games left over after the tier 1 and 2 networks have taken their pic. In this case ESPN and Fox for the Pac12. Now there are rules about how many times a team can be selected by a certain broadcaster in some contracts. I know the CBS SEC contract has a rule that not team can appear more than twice a season or something. Likewise conference networks may have rules about the minimum number of times a team must appear on them. Usually 1-2 times a season. However these rules apply equally to all teams. So if USC is getting more games on Fox and ESPN it is because those networks prefer to broadcast their games. The conference has nothing to do with this at all.

I don't know what you're talking about with reference to their official neutral venue, but this is a decision that the conference makes. However it's usually a cash based one. The Big10 doesn't put their championship games in Indy to try and favor Indiana and Purdue. They do it because a.) it's a dome and b.) Indy bid the most for the hosting rights. I am sure that conference events for the Pac12 follow a similar pattern. Basically whatever venue is willing to pony up the most cash within the footprint gets the event.

OOC games are determined by the school. The number of games available the conference sets by setting the number of conference games, but who the teams play is up to individual schools. So USC getting more attractive OOC games is a function of them either a.) trying to schedule more aggressively and b.) them being able to find more attractive partners. The only time third parties really get involved in the early season neutral site games ESPN owns. And then again it's ESPN, not the Pac12, making the decision who plays in them.

Who participates in the Rose Bowl is determined by the playoff committee by their final rankings. When CU lost the Pac12CG they fell below USC in the ranking. You can argue if they should have, but again the body making that decision was not the Pac12.

All the evidence you cited save one are decisions that the Pac12 has nothing to do with. Now does USC get favorable media and other treatment within the sport? I would argue absolutely. Them playing on the Pac12 networks less often, the Rose Bowl thing, and their attractive OOC schedule(especially ESPN neutral site games) are all evidence of that. However that has nothing to do with what conference they play in, and likely will continue in the Big10 because of the national attractiveness of their brand. It definitely sucks for their less influential conference mates, but it isn't some sort of Pac12 conspiracy to elevate them. You could argue that the presence of such a big brand in the conference is good for their conference mates as well, though that gets into exactly what we are measuring and how more than anything else.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

KKKLIP ART posted:

A loss might not keep Tennessee out of the playoff but it depends how bad the loss is. If UGA thumps them like they thumped Oregon (which even in my homer brain I know will be impossible) it might take a lot of the shine off and keep them out.

It's still crazy to me that Georgia almost lost...well no not really, they just remembered that they were Georgia in the end. But they seriously struggled with Missouri for three quarters.

Probably took 'em too light but that was just after not very impressively beating Kent State the week before. I don't know if this is just overconfidence or if maybe there are some holes there and they're not as good as we all believe they are (I believe they are very good for the record). They've certainly handled business well enough since then.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Nov 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Raku posted:

Deion is going to coach the Falcons

and the Braves