Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Renfield posted:

This came up a few years ago when everyone was recommending stuff to stay warm. Then as now, no one has mentioned slippers.
You don't want to be wearing outdoors shoes all day, especially if they get wet and a pair of cheap slippers keeping your feet warm makes all the difference to comfort.
(I'm paranoid about my bills, and only use the heating to keep the chill of the house and stop mould even without powercuts ! )

Go the Billy Connolly route. Buy two giant slippers that you can fit both your feet into at once.
You stay warm, and when the marauding gangs see your giant slippers they will think you are some Master Blaster sized super mutant and leave you alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

Go the Billy Connolly route.
Dress as George R R Martin and shoot everyone that's loving with you?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

WhatEvil posted:

I mean the UN were already predicting 1 billion climate migrants by 2050. Sounds pretty apocalyptic to me.

Of course if you're an island nation and you've got a population who's been whipped up into a frenzy against foreigners by a fascist press and government, who are all willing - nay salivating - to personally man the machine-gun emplacements on your 30ft coastal walls then climate migrants aren't much of a problem, I suppose.

There's a novel called The Wall which is about exactly this situation. It's really rather depressing but probably far more optimistic than what will really happen.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I reckon half the cabinet are big fans of The Camp of the Saints. Or maybe that's too French for them.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
jesus christ

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

10bux says the government goes full Aussie Liberal and turns Guernsey into a detention facility island for all asylum seekers.

Pesky journos can't access the now restricted island see.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The government will compulsorily purchase Bexhill

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

What a fuckin' boss
https://twitter.com/i/status/1587894974024417281

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Diet Crack posted:

10bux says the government goes full Aussie Liberal and turns Guernsey into a detention facility island for all asylum seekers.

Someone was proposing housing them on a cruise liner recently

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

forkboy84 posted:

Destination: Rwanda?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

forkboy84 posted:

Ah, you missed the important part of that idea - and that was to moor the cruise liner in international waters because.... reasons....

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

fuctifino posted:

Ah, you missed the important part of that idea - and that was to moor the cruise liner in international waters because.... reasons....

As with half the ideas I have, "do whatever unpleasant thing but do it in the Home Counties". This one goes well with my idea to build a massive channel from the coast & naval base in Surrey, primarily to keep the SSBNs. Can put the refugee cruise liners there too. Also any and all future nuclear power stations, because they like to have them on the coast.

Of course nothing like this would ever be allowed to happen in the most Tory county but a boy can dream of spite.

Hmmmm, strong wind tonight, the light has already started flickering. Hope it doesn't go out for a couple of hours.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bessantj posted:

I'm slightly surprised that parties like Reform haven't seen bigger growth.

Anyone who would want to vote for the fascists in the Reform Party is still happily voting for the Tories, who want to do exactly the same things and are at the moment in a position to do them.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Re: warm clothing for the coming apocalypse.

I bought one of these a short while back at Primark on a whim because it looked so ludicrous (ignore the ebay flipping price. I couldn't find it on their site. It was £16). Holy poo poo is it warm. I can put it on in my leaky flat and be warmed up in minutes without any heating on. If you don't fancy burgers they have loads of other daft designs!

Unrelated: can the "bad thread" (this one), the "Shrek cock" thread and the "jose posts tweets plus a lol" thread all get along? UK posters have to huddle together to stay warm!

On the NHS: I've been in and out of hospital recently and absolutely everyone who has been dealing with me has been a total saint. gently caress the "government" forever for trying to sink it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

franco posted:

Unrelated: can the "bad thread" (this one), the "Shrek cock" thread and the "jose posts tweets plus a lol" thread all get along? UK posters have to huddle together to stay warm!

Seems tiring to read so many threads

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

franco posted:

get hosed

Watch It Burn
Apr 8, 2009

I can only hope this type of message reaches people. The gap between how inspiring this guy is compared to our actual political leaders is incredible. If Keith was even half as engaging we'd be on our way somewhere special. But instead he is Keith.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

get hosed

Where the hell did that come from? I do genuinely want all three to stop taking potshots at each other. I was being cheeky but not sarcastic.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/jomicheii/status/1587910966381285376?s=46&t=WZMy5lr7nUkBj5FtvzHybA

Zeno's fiscal hole.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Watch It Burn posted:

If Keith was even half as engaging we'd be on our way somewhere special.

And if my auntie had propeller blades she'd identify as a gender critical attack helicopter

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Watch It Burn posted:

I can only hope this type of message reaches people. The gap between how inspiring this guy is compared to our actual political leaders is incredible. If Keith was even half as engaging we'd be on our way somewhere special. But instead he is Keith.

If Keith was even half as engaging we'd have wes streeting or some other oval office

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

franco posted:

Where the hell did that come from? I do genuinely want all three to stop taking potshots at each other. I was being cheeky but not sarcastic.

It was a joke, chill out

This is why this is considered the bad thread, way too easy to get trolled

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

It was a joke, chill out

This is why this is considered the bad thread, way too easy to get trolled

Sorry dude/dudette, I thought it was a genuinely weird attack. I'm apparently not very good at reading the room :)

Watch It Burn
Apr 8, 2009

jiggerypokery posted:

If Keith was even half as engaging we'd have wes streeting or some other oval office

Oh God. I forgot that there was actually worse choices than Starmer.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Watch It Burn posted:

You always have to mentally prepare yourself for the Blair comeback

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

franco posted:

There’s a third UK thread out there now?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Diet Crack posted:

funny you say this, they brought Tony "fuckin" Abbott on board a while back

Watch It Burn posted:

it's a long bough, but what does this mean for Kevin Rudd's leadership ambition

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TACD posted:

There’s a third UK thread out there now?

There is UKMT, one in byob, and one in cspam.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

There is UKMT, one in byob, and one in cspam.

I was meaning the GBS one so now we have 4 :aaa:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I had a vague memory of a GBS one but wasn't sure.

I don't read any of them except this one because I don't think I can separate being irritable about politics from normal posting and also I don't have weird ideas about the war in ukraine.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
This thread is better than most at avoiding inane black hole of UK chat threads: people arguing about what crisps and chocolate bars are good or bad.

Seems like prepping the ground for pre-election tax cuts

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Peter from Surrey has written in to the BBC news feed:

Get hosed Peter from Surrey

“Overcommitted to borrowing” because houses now cost nine times annual income, compared to four times when mortgage rates were 15%, compared to two to three times when you likely bought your house Peter from Surrey.

What a “gently caress you, got mine” twat

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

peanut- posted:

This thread is better than most at avoiding inane black hole of UK chat threads: people arguing about what crisps and chocolate bars are good or bad.

ridge cut for life

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

peanut- posted:

Look I tried to speak with Camrath about the error in the fudge discount code but he won't listen

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

jiggerypokery posted:

Speaking of creepy Britain-First-haircut man and his ilk, is there a handy reference list of who's trash in the Labour Party and why? Starmer for all the usual reasons, Streeting has his private healthcare donor connections, Rosie Duffield is a terf, etc, but the rest of the Labour Right is just an amorphous mass of shite. It'd be useful to be able to go "oh, that's the one who wants to privatise the DVLA/send migrants to a processing centre on Rockall/criminalise smiling/hang all trans people".

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

peanut- posted:

i think choc/crispchat is preferable to reading I Am Terribly Depressed And Everything Is Awful Forever, personally, but i guess people like what they like

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Payndz posted:

"oh, that's the one who wants to privatise the DVLA/send migrants to a processing centre on Rockall/criminalise smiling/hang all trans people".

That's probably a fair assessment of most of them tbf.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/ducklingsmith/status/1587927948782624768

Payndz posted:

the rest of the Labour Right is just an amorphous mass of shite

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Scientastic posted:

What a “gently caress you, got mine” twat

No poo poo, he's Peter from Surrey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Payndz posted:

Speaking of creepy Britain-First-haircut man and his ilk, is there a handy reference list of who's trash in the Labour Party and why? Starmer for all the usual reasons, Streeting has his private healthcare donor connections, Rosie Duffield is a terf, etc, but the rest of the Labour Right is just an amorphous mass of shite. It'd be useful to be able to go "oh, that's the one who wants to privatise the DVLA/send migrants to a processing centre on Rockall/criminalise smiling/hang all trans people".

Here

https://vote.labour.org.uk/all-candidates

I suppose we could make a Google Sheet or something to list their various crimes if you like