Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

ultrachrist posted:

One of the things they added was whatever you call giving you a few pixels after the actual platform to jump from.

Coyote time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

Coyote time

This is exactly it. But yeah, the first month or two of Blasphemous didn’t have that (or the Switch launch client) and having come to it after that patch I can imagine how pixel perfect you had to be prior to that.

lih posted:

i like it a lot more than the first but it's going for a very different thing so i get why people who loved the first didn't like it as much.

I don’t know if I liked AV2 more than the first but definitely appreciated that it was designed as a very different game and experience. The secrets were far more sensible to find than “hose down every surface with the scanning tool” at least.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 2, 2022

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ghost Song, one of the first kickstarter metroidvanias from way back in 2013 is finally releasing in a few hours. The demo from last year was pretty good, anyone getting it?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

A Sometimes Food posted:

Ghost Song, one of the first kickstarter metroidvanias from way back in 2013 is finally releasing in a few hours. The demo from last year was pretty good, anyone getting it?

Like Moonscars, it’s going to be free at launch for Humble Choice subscribers!

I don’t know if I’ll get to it tonight (Deep Rock Galactic season 3 just dropped) but I’m going to give GS a try in the next few days for sure.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Look! It's a Platroguevanialike sale!

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/platroguevanialike

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dang, I haven't thought about Dust in a hot minute.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Schwarzwald posted:

Dang, I haven't thought about Dust in a hot minute.

I replayed through that one a couple of months ago and the gameplay is still super satisfying while the story and voice acting are still the most cringeworthy thing ever written. It's worth a revisit for sure.

Valency
Feb 3, 2010

HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT

I'm excited for a metroidvania specific thread :neckbeard:

I haven't seen this one mentioned yet: I recently picked up Iconoclasts and it was a fun entry in the genre. I appreciated that it wasn't infected with the souls-like difficulty that a lot of metroidvanias have these days. There was a bit less backtracking, or at least meaningful backtracking than I normally expect. Lots of spots with hidden power-ups to go back to, but the story kept fairly forward momentum through new areas instead of sending you back on macguffin hunts through previous areas. Overall though it was a good time that didn't overstay its welcome.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

A Sometimes Food posted:

I tried it for a few hours. Seems solid, so far. There is a weirdly useless sprint upgrade which takes a second to warm up, drains your stamina, is barely faster than regular running and massively outclassed by repeated use of the dash, which you already have at that point. I hope that has further upgrades to make it at least a bit worthwhile. I've barely seen any story at this point.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Transiruby is worth checking out if you haven't. It's pretty short, clocking in at about six hours, but what's there is good.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

cant cook creole bream posted:

I tried it for a few hours. Seems solid, so far. There is a weirdly useless sprint upgrade which takes a second to warm up, drains your stamina, is barely faster than regular running and massively outclassed by repeated use of the dash, which you already have at that point. I hope that has further upgrades to make it at least a bit worthwhile. I've barely seen any story at this point.

I’ve found doing a dash first basically puts you at full speed outright, but yeah, it’s pretty anemic so far.

Ghost Song basically feels to me like if Hollow Knight skewed far on the Metroid side of the scale versus the Castlevania side. Bigger ranged weapon focus, similar movement style to an early Metroid, upgrades seem more modeled that way (including the doors you have to use missiles to blow open). It’s got major HK influence in terms of slotting your upgrades, charm style, though your power pool covers both your passives as well as your secondary weapon selections, so you have to decide how you want to focus. One nice touch is you can swap your equipped upgrades anywhere, but you have to shut your suit down first, so you also won’t be doing it in combat either. There’s limited Souls style leveling (three stat categories to choose from), though there’s consumables to raise each stat permanently hidden around.

I’ve pushed the plot forward enough to have a specific quest to work on, though it’s very much “explore and get upgrades and figure out how to reach those map markers”.

One thing it definitely has going for it is atmosphere. The sound design is extremely good and creepy as hell, which goes well with how the enemies have major Giger and/or Junji Ito vibes.

So, while it starts (literally) slow before you get upgrades, it’s a promising framework and I’m definitely enjoying it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Stat leveling always gives me choice paralysis. Unless you know the game expects you to max out all stats then it's not so bad.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Stat leveling always gives me choice paralysis. Unless you know the game expects you to max out all stats then it's not so bad.

Honestly it’s really just what you want to focus on. There’s “better ranged weapons”, “more HP and better physical attacks” or “more weapon energy and stamina and boost a few special weapons”. It really doesn’t seem like there’s a wrong answer, plus the fact there’s consumable stat boosts means there’s effectively a stat baseline they work around.

It’s just more important you level anything as you go since that bumps your ability power cap. But if you want to shoot good, level gunpower. If you want to really smack things better (especially once your gun heats up), level vigor. If you want to just have more resources, you level resolve. It’s not like a Souls game where you can accidentally specialize in something you don’t want to use.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Valency posted:

I'm excited for a metroidvania specific thread :neckbeard:

I haven't seen this one mentioned yet: I recently picked up Iconoclasts and it was a fun entry in the genre. I appreciated that it wasn't infected with the souls-like difficulty that a lot of metroidvanias have these days. There was a bit less backtracking, or at least meaningful backtracking than I normally expect. Lots of spots with hidden power-ups to go back to, but the story kept fairly forward momentum through new areas instead of sending you back on macguffin hunts through previous areas. Overall though it was a good time that didn't overstay its welcome.

Iconoclasts kicks massive amounts of rear end. The narrative was way way better than I expected going into too. A lot of the atmosphere in the later parts of the game legitimately affected me.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
The recent Mummy Returns tie in game is surprisingly not poo poo and quite good. Very short, can be beaten in under 6 hours, but it's a fun ride and the respawn system is clever.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Mummy Demastered? Yeah, I've heard good things about it and it's made by Wayforward. Picked it up in one of those Fanatical bundles, so I'll get around to it at some point.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Ghost Song followup: as well as all the usual Metroid style traversal options, there is indeed a “increase move speed” power augment you can equip. It’s not massive but is noticeable.

Rather enjoying it, some nice side stories are popping up as I go. Worth being thorough about talking to NPCs.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I was posting about it in the Switch thread, but this is definitely a better place for me to briefly mention how much I truly love Hollow Knight. The other day, I'm playing it, and juuuuust got the ability to slam downward before I had to stop playing. Until I was able to get back to the game, I kept thinking about what could possibly be below the rocky part that's near the beginning of the game that shakes when you walk over it.

This game is just overtaking all of my game time now, and it likely will until I beat it

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I hated Hollow Knight solely for making the gravest of gaming errors, having a plethora of trap options.

By the end of the game there's only one actual way to play, Dodge everything and try not to get hit because you will never have enough time to heal mid fight. Despite this, there's a variety of heal and other equipment that doesn't actually improve that specific gameplay loop and in many cases actively wants you to NOT do that, and if you take them you'll continuously lose until you either change how you play or give up.

For all the stellar design otherwise, that's dumb as gently caress, and one of the gravest of game design mistakes. It's like the opposite of Hades.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I beat Ghost Song and found it pretty disappointing after liking it at the start.

The aesthetics, music, and a lot of the writing are nice... but the combat just sucks really really bad. I upgraded literally nothing but Gunplay all the way to level 30, and by the end of the game the gun still sucked balls and was completely outclassed by melee damage. If Vigor actually does increase your melee damage (I was assuming by its description that it meant it reduced the physical damage you take, not give), then it's probably drastically better than the other two choices.

The enemies and bosses are just not interesting. There's very little sense of weight, wind-up, or investment in their strongest attacks; you'll dodge behind a dude who did a powerful swing, and he'll just turn around and instantly perform another one and wreck you... or randomly run into you; the greatest threat I encountered was enemies just moving stupidly and bumping into you a lot, so basically every enemy starts to feel the same by the end. A few enemies can actually get interrupted by your attacks, but a ton will just ignore everything you do and keep running at you, making every encounter feel like the exact same process of keeping enough distance while just spamming and out-tanking the enemies.

Also your character feels oddly too tall for a lot of the platforming. I was constantly just barely bumping into edges and it felt like everything was sized in a way that would make sense if my dude was literally half as tall.

It just overall felt like all the little details of movement and combat were either undercooked or thoughtlessly slapped together in favor of the artistic and stylistic choices.

e: re that last Hollow Knight post I disagree really hard. All but about two fights in the game give you really crucial opportunities to heal, and I've seen lots of people share very different preferences in terms of spell-casting, pure melee, or some of the more gimmicky weird builds. Every fight (except gently caress Markoth) is certainly built to be able to be cleared without getting hit, but the bosses absolutely leave chances to heal that are a really important part of their design. A lot of the heal charms are pretty obviously oriented more towards general exploration though; I don't really see it as a problem for every single charm to not be geared towards boss fights.

Martman fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Nov 7, 2022

KNR
May 3, 2009

Martman posted:

e: re that last Hollow Knight post I disagree really hard. All but about two fights in the game give you really crucial opportunities to heal, and I've seen lots of people share very different preferences in terms of spell-casting, pure melee, or some of the more gimmicky weird builds. Every fight (except gently caress Markoth) is certainly built to be able to be cleared without getting hit, but the bosses absolutely leave chances to heal that are a really important part of their design. A lot of the heal charms are pretty obviously oriented more towards general exploration though; I don't really see it as a problem for every single charm to not be geared towards boss fights.
For boss fight heals, quick heal and/or shape of unn also allow cheating in a lot of extra heals outside the the more obvious windows, though I never found that to be worth the charm slots.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, there were a few Hollow Knight bosses I had to pivot and go full out glass cannon, but for the most part I was able to do a more all around build including heals and was just fine. I’ve seen videos of people doing stuff including heavy spell use that I didn’t even come close to trying that worked.

This worked for all content in the game and dlcs (including Nightmare King Grimm). The only content I didn’t complete was the Godmaster stuff, because beyond the cursory “look, we hosed with the arena this time” rematches it was obviously designed for a tier of HK power gamer/speedrunner I am not and knew that forcing myself to try to do it would sour me on a game I loved.

Having some options that are less efficient or obsoleted by later upgrades (that either require sidequest completion or were patched in via DLC) doesn’t really equate to traps in my book, especially when HK just lets you swap charms at save points anyway.

Re: Ghost Song - I agree the basic blaster is kind of anemic, I’m killing a non trivial amount of enemies using gimmick weapon mods anyway (speaking of HK, summoning a shitload of angry insects works in GS too…). I’m actually Resolve primary for energy/stamina and a particular equippable weapon for the melee slot I just snagged is making me think that may have been a very good idea. But most of my nanogel is being used for barter right now so most of my upgrades have actually been the hidden consumables. Sadly those bumps don’t raise your power cap.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 7, 2022

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I was really excited to go for the hollow knight platform trophy at first but Nightmare King Grimm stomped me so many times that I know the 40+ boss rush would break me.

I don't think I've ever consciously used a spell in combat because I always worry about healing.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Maybe it's just that I only played HK at launch and never touched any of the DLC, got burned out on it after I beat it.

Back on topic and in sorta a related but opposite vein of the Ghost Story review above, Valdis Story was one I enjoyed. Has a lot of different characters you can unlock and most of them actually play pretty differently and each one sorta favors a specific style of play. The storyline is alright though it has that classic indie vibe of "we wrote more stuff in to explain this one character but it was never implemented" but the whole setup of the different characters sorta concurrently running through the same world and having different bosses to fight in certain areas with their own unique side story that adds to each run is sorta cool.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

So I needed to do a full repair since the green ship item's boss is kicking my rear end but the repair was pretty far from the spawn I used. I tried quitting after making the run and doing the full repair and it put me at the closer spawn again.

So I guess there's one more method of fast travel.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ghost Song is good, but it's not great. It's merely good.

I think things that could have made it great:
- More fast travel options. In addition to having more statue locations, the fact that there's no "return to statue" item like you'd see in a Souls game is weird, given the game's half-Souls DNA. Even just converting some of the save-only rooms to statue rooms would've helped. If you're dealing with a boss and fighting them repeatedly, you're between a rock and a hard place because it takes a long time to go back from a save-only room to a statue room to repair your max HP.
- I agree with bumping into enemies being the biggest damage tank. In particular, the giant boss with the skull weapon, and Henriette's spear charge, can do massive damage just from you being caught in their path, compared to any of their other attacks. This seems like something that could be tweaked in terms of the damage values, making their projectile, charge and slam attacks more deadly and simply bumping into them a smaller penalty.
- NPCs moving from day to day is a bit awkward because it's not like they're tracked on the map. It does lead to some interesting discoveries, like meeting Relic for the first time and getting the pebble. But if you're trying to get the 'talk to every crewmate on every day' achievement (I didn't care about this personally), I imagine it would be frustrating having to track down wherever Pasha has run off to. So maybe at the very least the crew members of the Gambler should have shown up on the map.
- Bosses are pretty weak overall. In general the bosses just felt like tougher and larger versions of regular enemies. It did not feel like I was in a unique set piece or an interesting encounter. It felt like the same tactics I used on the regular enemies worked for the larger ones. Henriette is the one boss that really felt like a proper capital b Boss, which is not ideal in a game that has around 15+ bosses out in the world.
- Getting the one Heart Of module is weird. There's just this bug door that you can't open no matter what, and then suddenly on Day 3 it's gone because Mutt went through it. Okay? Why would I go back to check that? I would just assume that it's the same as it was on Days 1 & 2 and I just didn't have an item necessary to get it open. Something like that gives the world a lived-in feeling but in a very "tree falling in a forest" way.
- Sprint needed to be faster for the amount of energy it consumes.
- On Xbox One X, load times between rooms are 3-5 seconds rather than instantaneous. Kind of annoying.

other thoughts:
- Gunpower is fine, I think once you get the three different Heart Of modules then if you chose to specialize in any one stat then it's probably going to be pretty powerful no matter what. The revolver secondary weapon is very good at big DMG hits, but it's not ideal for crowd control, so pairing it with decent gunpower is not bad when you're running through areas with a lot of enemies.
- If you get the pebble and you're unclear where to use it, you use it on the top of the right-side mountain within the Crash Site location, rather than continuing to climb up that mountain. You power down, use it, then power back on and then something will happen that I won't spoil.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 7, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ghost Song had a pretty promising start but I'm growing pretty cold on it between the crashes, the janky hitboxes, and I guess this bug where the iframes for the dash will instead sometimes just instantly kill you on random mobs

It could've used more time in the oven

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
There is a lot of good in Ghost Song but it just feels really stiff, in my opinion.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Stop making Soulslike metroidvanias! Just because Hollow Knight pulled it off it doesn't mean you can!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Hollow Knight is a cool world and a fun game, and there's some nice art that provokes emotion part of which being how viscerally uncomfortable Deepnest is. Gameplay challenge is a mixed bag because it's fun, but it also means that you can get stuck at a tougher boss, and if you're not in good condition at the moment like if you're sick, you just can't play. If it's been a long time since you last played, you kinda have to get back in the groove before you get the challenge. As opposed to Shovel Knight, which I regularly plow through when I'm feeling down.

For some reason, with platformers where you have ranged weapons, I just can never play the games derived from Megaman right, but I do enjoy all the games derived from Metroid. I don't really know what it is that one clicks better than the other.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

No Dignity posted:

Stop making Soulslike metroidvanias! Just because Hollow Knight pulled it off it doesn't mean you can!

I maintain that HK is boring ugly and bad

But also that this game really didn't need any of the Dark Souls elements either. I do appreciate that so far every boss has had a way to cheese it out, though I think it's mostly because they didn't think that hard about them

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

No Dignity posted:

how is hollowknight soulslike besides "depressing setting" and "you drop your pocket change on death"
i swear 99% of the term soulslike is just story/feel and not gameplay now

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Soulslike just means "drops your pocket change on death" to be honest. What else has it ever meant?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

how is hollowknight soulslike besides "depressing setting" and "you drop your pocket change on death"

Setting, 'hard' combat where enemies hit hard and you're not to take it lightly, drop pocket change, boss runs.

It's a nonsense genre label, tbh.

Clarste posted:

Soulslike just means "drops your pocket change on death" to be honest. What else has it ever meant?

Yeah but no one thinks Shovel Knight is a soulslike.

(I mean I'm sure some people do but they are wrong. Like, more wrong than usual)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I mean the idea is that there is a gameplay loop where you regularly die, and the threat of losing your pocket change makes you care a bit more than usual. Occupying a sort of space between a roguelike and a traditional game.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Clarste posted:

Stamina management dodgeroll combat with relatively slow committal attacks that you can't cancel out of (so you have to consciously think/plan when to use them and when to wait and dodge instead)
there are a good number of 3d games that have yoinked the same setup like the surge, lords of the fallen, starwars the force unleashed, hellpoint, mortal shell....

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think people also attribute too much of Hollow Knight's vague, foreboding storytelling and world-building stuff to Dark Souls when it's just as much inspired by Super Metroid in those ways.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

- High level of difficulty with limited, high commitment healing and a strong emphasis on punishing boss fights you have to memorise
- The plot is literally Dark Souls with the proper nouns swapped around slightly and the storytelling sensibilities are identical, down to most of the plot coming from item descriptions giving you ominous hints about the history of the world
- The final boss is straight up Bug Artorias

Honestly it's wild you don't think it's a Soulslike, from the moment I picked it up it just screamed to me the devs though 'what if Dark Souls was a Metroid?', they just made the conversion with a bit more finesse than your Salt & Sanctuaries and Death's Gambits

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
If plot and boss theming counts for genre then diablo is an FPS since Diablo himself is basically just a cyberdemon who stopped making payments at the rent-to-own cyber-legs centre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Come on man, Diablo and the Cyberdemon are both demons and that's about it. Hollow Knight is literally a nameless wander exploring the desicated ruins of an old kingdom, gradually uncovering how the world fell to ruin and claiming the Lordsouls to unseal the lock placed on final boss that will lead to a resolution of the stagnating status quo. You even have a cast of quirky NPCs with their own agendas and quests travelling through the land whose stories you can intersect with and a Firelink style hub where the last few sane survivors have conregated to form a small community and base of operations for the player. It is practically a bugsona Dark Souls fic

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 7, 2022