Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Tuna-Fish posted:

500 tons is really not a lot of ship to carry 8 harpoons. That boat basically consists of engine, missiles, and things needed to support firing of the missiles.

The Pegasus-class patrol boats were like half that and carried 8 Harpoons. I wish we had kept those around (to give to Ukraine now).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
https://twitter.com/WarMonitor3/status/1588100657394745344

Russia's withdrawing (at least partly?) from Kherson

https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1588101395441483779?s=20&t=L1HHEEUXIkwtYxSoM2mDLQ

plot thickens:

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1588107211837956096?s=20&t=L1HHEEUXIkwtYxSoM2mDLQ

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Nov 3, 2022

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Russia's withdrawing (at least partly?) from Kherson

This rumour is everywhere today

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1588103981108273154

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1588094632336007168

https://twitter.com/NLwartracker/status/1588113705807581184

Should start seeing evidence of Ukrainian advances soon if it's true

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Incredible if they're really gone. What a way to betray the 87% of people who voted for annexation to Russia!

It would be really good news if the city was saved from fighting. Although as the Russian strategy is to destroy Ukrainian infrastructure, would they really leave everything intact as they left...

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Nenonen posted:

Incredible if they're really gone. What a way to betray the 87% of people who voted for annexation to Russia!

It would be really good news if the city was saved from fighting. Although as the Russian strategy is to destroy Ukrainian infrastructure, would they really leave everything intact as they left...

Above and beyond any commands to purposefully destroy infrastructure I'm imagining the soldiers that were stationed there and just withdrew were far, far past ripping the copper out of the walls to loot it. I won't be surprised if it's found to be functionally nonexistent as a modern city.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The fact the buildings still exist and are structurally intact is still huge, roads are clear and clean, etc. Sure they would have looted what they can where they can but their is very little you can do as destructive as modern warfare.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
This seems too good to be true

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Nenonen posted:

There are pictures of a bunch of cell towers having been blown up ...

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Nenonen posted:

Although as the Russian strategy is to destroy Ukrainian infrastructure, would they really leave everything intact as they left...

I'm expecting everything to have been mined given their history in this conflict. That way they are going to tie EOD/sappers in cleaning up for a long while and remove them from the fight.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Nothingtoseehere posted:

The fact the buildings still exist and are structurally intact is still huge, roads are clear and clean, etc. Sure they would have looted what they can where they can but their is very little you can do as destructive as modern warfare.

Well ya, it is a Russian city after all.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
This all very much seems to be confirming they are retreating to the other side of the river before mud season/winter sets in.

This does unfortunately seem a more planned retreat than most of the Russian retreats we've heard about so far, in that so far we haven't heard about them leaving behind a whole bunch of equipment and vehicles, although only seen images from a bunch of abandoned checkpoints. Very possible they left stuff else where.

What ever the situation, very good that it looks like the Ukraine army won't have to face a whole bunch urban street fighting to free the city though.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Eh, maybe the rank and file officers just ignored kremlin orders and bargained a clean getaway with Ukraine.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

OddObserver posted:

There are pictures of a bunch of cell towers having been blown up ...

I think it's the water and sewage and power plants and substations that matter the most for making a city livable, and that take the longest to repair if they are demolished. This would also be an explicit war crime.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

Charlz Guybon posted:

This seems too good to be true

Possibly.

While it means Kherson will not be destroyed, many more Russian soldiers will be waiting for them on the other side of the Dnipro. In addition the Russian high command is willing and able to perform actions that while not so favorable on the political side, actually benefit their fighting forces.

I am curious to why all those officials/reports were stating the last few days that the Russians were infact reinforcing positions in and around Kherson.

Dick Ripple fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Nov 3, 2022

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tafferling posted:

Eh, maybe the rank and file officers just ignored kremlin orders and bargained a clean getaway with Ukraine.

For a small town I could see that, for a large city for all the Russian troops to go unless they all thought the city was going to be immediately taken -like within hours- than I just do see that. Seem like they would just be too many people for that to happen with it being an order from someone at least sort of high up.

Dick Ripple posted:

I am curious to why all those officials/reports were stating the last few days that the Russians were infact reinforcing positions in and around Kherson.

I mean different people leading the Russian army not really knowing what others doing the same are doing seems the most likely reason for this. Some sort of disinformation campaign seems a bit to intelligent.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Nov 3, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Dick Ripple posted:

Fog of war and maskirovka?

Remains to be confirmed, of course. But such is the nature of every report that is not coming directly from a reliable witness.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Both could be true. Doing a fighting retreat is not easy, and the short term Russian plan to do so could involve reinforcing the front line.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Both could be true. Doing a fighting retreat is not easy, and the short term Russian plan to do so could involve reinforcing the front line.

Or just making it look like you're ferrying troops to Kherson rather than from because you can't fully hide such big movements, to prevent pursue.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I'd feel safer for Kherson if Nova Kakhovka was in Ukrainian hands.

Also, it looks like the UAF has managed to get close enough to Kherson to trigger this rout.

(Apologize for the phone posting)

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I'd say it's real. Because when any OTHER Russian forces read about it. they are going to bug out too, or surrender to the first Ukrainian solider they see.

The only question is...will they blow the dam? I could see reasons they would and reasons they would not. I could see them retreating over it, but letting the dam stay up to stop a flood of their own defenses.

I could also see them blowing the dam because they are idiots.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Freedman has done another really good blog, this time dissecting 'hey why does nobody who says negotiations are important ever analyse Putin's position?'

Spoiler: it's because that makes it obvious why negotiations aren't happening

https://samf.substack.com/p/why-putin-prefers-war-war-to-jaw?utm_source=twitter&sd=pf

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I really hope this is true, and they'll leave. But I'm also scared that now that the city is cleared of Russian military, it might become fair game for artillery reprisals or something like that?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

mrfart posted:

I really hope this is true, and they'll leave. But I'm also scared that now that the city is cleared of Russian military, it might become fair game for artillery reprisals or something like that?

I mean if you want to destroy something it's about a million times more efficient to do it while you occupy the place, rather than shooting things at it from a distance. Hence earlier posts about whether they would leave critical infrastructure intact or not if they leave.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

mrfart posted:

Most likely yes. See Nikopol - Energodar daily across the river shelling

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
If Russia is abandoning Kherson, does that mean that Ukraine's got the entire northern bank of the Dnipro? I admit I haven't been following the maps super closely, given how much they had appeared to have stalled out, but I was under the impression that they were still a ways out from really approaching Kherson itself.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The Lord of Hats posted:

If Russia is abandoning Kherson, does that mean that Ukraine's got the entire northern bank of the Dnipro? I admit I haven't been following the maps super closely, given how much they had appeared to have stalled out, but I was under the impression that they were still a ways out from really approaching Kherson itself.

Ukrainian opsec around Kherson has been so tight that it's been hard to get information around movements. The maps have barely any movement unless the Russians had reported it, and with the new restrictions on reporting the special operation, they aren't going to report any losses. War Mapper on SOAR has had multiple maps where they go "nothing to report" because the flow of information has slowed down.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Kings and Generals video: Attack on the Kerch Bridge - Russian Invasion DOCUMENTARY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4gebic_Wnc

The last months advance- I hadn't realized how much ground Ukraine had gained in the north.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Dick Ripple posted:

Possibly.

While it means Kherson will not be destroyed, many more Russian soldiers will be waiting for them on the other side of the Dnipro. In addition the Russian high command is willing and able to perform actions that while not so favorable on the political side, actually benefit their fighting forces.

This was the case during the retreat from Kyiv as well. There were a lot of rumours of increased Russian troop levels and shelling, then a few days later all the Russians had left. Russia has been quite good at retreating throughout the war, Kharkiv being the one big exception.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Huge number of rumours flying around - until I see geolocated images of Ukrainian troops in the city and raising the flag, I'm withholding judgement.

But if the reports of Russia troops withdrawing from Kherson city are genuinely true, it would be hugely significant.

In military terms it would likely save both sides from a potentially hugely costly urban meatgrinder battle, the horrors of which would be even worse during winter. It would also (to an extent) spare the remaining civilians there from being caught in the crossfire (though I fully expect Russia to spitefully bombard the poo poo out of the city for months to come).

Whilst it may have military benefits for Russia, shortening their tenuous supply lines and enabling them to use the Dnipro itself as their main defensive barrier, its also a massively symbolic political climbdown. Kherson is one of the biggest cities that fell to them - and it seemed to fall relatively quickly and easily (as opposed to one of the other few big cities to fall, Mariupol). To withdraw from it without a fight - the capital of one of the recently annexed territories? Yikes, going to be difficult to spin this one.

I wonder if the plan is to try to hold the line at the Dnipro, and try to push for that as a new 'natural border'

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Nenonen posted:

I mean if you want to destroy something it's about a million times more efficient to do it while you occupy the place, rather than shooting things at it from a distance. Hence earlier posts about whether they would leave critical infrastructure intact or not if they leave.

I mean but if you start the shelling when Ukraine army gets into town, you can kill two birds with one stone, destroy the city and hurt the army. It's a simple enough plan that both sides have thought of it I'm sure, but what happens now? Ukraine needs to send in some experts to de-mine the residential buildings and secure the town border. But then they risk artillery strikes on the city, making it actually more dangerous.

I guess they still go in, it's not like a lack of soldiers in a city has stopped Russia from bombing it to hell and back if last months' rocket strikes on Kiev are anything to go by. However with the river blocking the say, this could lead to a very ugly stalemate.

God I hope there's a breakthrough for Ukraine that allows them to secure the city before it's turned into rubble :ohdear:

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

The Ukrainian military is playing it cautious regarding the supposed retreat as well -https://www.radiosvoboda.org/a/news-pivden-evakuatsiya-rf/32113903.html
https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1588152800856473602?s=20&t=Za6_42dgYsDekgxgSRoUCQ
Translated excerpt:

quote:

"This may be a manifestation of provocation in order to create the impression that settlements have been abandoned, that it is safe to enter them. Considering the fact that they have been preparing for street battles for a long time, the way they position their units, we are aware of the planned tactics and should not be in a hurry to rejoice. It is necessary to understand that a hybrid war involves such information leaks, attacks that can be calculated to weaken the troops," she said on the air of the national telethon.

Natalya Gumenyuk notes that the Russian occupiers are creating a "total evacuation effect."

"We continue fighting. Despite the fact that the enemy is trying to convince us that they are leaving populated areas and creating the effect of total evacuation, we monitor, see and realize that these may be certain tricks, military maneuvers in order to create some properly constructed defense for ourselves. But we see that regular units disguised as civilians are leaving Kherson. They continue to settle not only in the regional center, but also in other settlements in the homes of people who left," she said.

Humenyuk reminded that the Russian troops blocked the Dnipro River for the movement of civilians, which may indicate that they are trying to use these crossings and watercraft exclusively for their own purposes.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Kikas posted:

I mean but if you start the shelling when Ukraine army gets into town, you can kill two birds with one stone, destroy the city and hurt the army. It's a simple enough plan that both sides have thought of it I'm sure, but what happens now? Ukraine needs to send in some experts to de-mine the residential buildings and secure the town border. But then they risk artillery strikes on the city, making it actually more dangerous.

It's a big city. You make it sound like Russians know exactly what Ukrainians are doing there even after retreat, which they don't. Sure they can bombard the city, but it has nothing to do with what Ukrainian military does.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bar Ran Dun posted:

2000 lbs -short ton, ST
2240 lbs - long ton, LT
1000 kgs - metric ton, MT, 1 m^3 of water at 1.0000 apparent density in air at 15C
Cargo Carrying capacity in MT at summer marks - DWT
100 cu. ft internal volume - 1 gross register ton (which isn’t a weight but is a volume
GRT - non cargo spaces = NRT

NRT and GRT are now technically unit less though.

Wow this is incredibly helpful thank you!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Nenonen posted:

This is ominous to me. Quite possible they’re leaving in order to lure in Ukrainian forces to retake the city then bomb the utter poo poo out of it.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
https://t.me/s/RKadyrov_95

That's an interesting shuffle

The head of Chechnya Ramzan Kadyrov said that his right hand, dear BROTHER and commander of the Akhmat special unit Apty ALAUDINOV, was appointed deputy commander of the 2nd army corps of the People's Militia of the Luhansk People's Republic (LPR).

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Oracle posted:

This is ominous to me. Quite possible they’re leaving in order to lure in Ukrainian forces to retake the city then bomb the utter poo poo out of it.

Sometimes, the simple surface level appeance of things is the real deal. This move behind the Dnipro was the logical military move for months, doubly so once the Ukrainians got their hands on fancy US artillery to smash their crossings. The Ukrainians are of course going to be cautious, what is there to gain by running headlong in pursuit?

It might not happen all at once and they might pull back to prepared positions as stepping stones but the indications they are leaving have been going on for some time now.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

MikeC posted:

what is there to gain by running headlong in pursuit?

said German leadership at Dunkirk.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Oracle posted:

Eh, this feels like looking for things to worry about. If the city's undefended then Ukraine won't need to commit many forces to retake it, and cities are generally excellent cover for military units. If you want to shell units, you don't need to hand them a city first.

I think it's just that holding the city was untenable for Russia's forces, so they've fallen back to more defensible lines. Sure, be cautious and make use of recon as you retake the city, watching for ambushes, traps and minefields, but that goes without saying in any advance.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

The Lord of Hats posted:

Kherson becomes a trap where you die instead of territory you hold if the P-47 road between it and Nova Kakhovka is cut. Ukraine has been slowly inching towards that road from the northeast. If Russia has indeed chosen to withdraw, it would imply that their leadership felt that they cannot defend it and chose to withdraw before it turns into a huge disaster that eats all the troops in it. The stuff seen from it so far seems to imply a successful, orderly withdrawal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Bar Ran Dun posted:

1000 kgs - metric ton, MT, 1 m^3 of water at 1.0000 apparent density in air at 15C
The symbol for metric tonne is just "t". MT is megatesla, an unit for measuring magnetic fields near neutron stars.