Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

rex rabidorum vires posted:

6 straight. Lets go for 7 :toot: blown leads and shoddy play all the way around. Whatever they're trying to do system wise isn't working. Dumo with 3 more all situation goals against. The PK was scored on again. The 4th line played 5 minutes 5v5. Top pairing of Letang/Dumo were scored on 2 times 5v5 and caved in corsi/shots/xG wise. Something needs to be done with the Dumoulin situation. A nice farm upstate. Petry also continues to impress in not a good way.

It was pretty obvious the PK would suffer without Marino and ERod but I never expected it to be this much of a horror show.

Still early but this team might just be fundamentally broken. I think Sully/Hexy/Burke are going to have no choice but to give Dumo the Scuderi treatment pretty soon because their jobs are going to be at stake.

loving hell this team is old. A complete list of regularly appearing Penguins players who are less than 28:

Tristan Jarry (27)
Danton Heinen (27)
Kasperi Kapanen (26)
Marcus Pettersson (26)
Pierre Olivier-Joseph (23)

That's it. That's the entire list. Even the guys I think of as young are actually well into hockey player middle age. Meanwhile they have seven players age 32 and up, and that doesn't even include Dumoulin, who is only 31 but is completely washed up. Two of those seven players are brand new acquisitions, both of them defensemen and both of them playing poorly, and a third is the oldest guy on the oldest team in the league and was just given a three year extension less than a year ago. Bloody loving hell. If anything this team should be starting fast and building a lead before they all get worn out/injured midseason.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Sullivan just got extended so it would be surprising to see him get fired. Short of that, I'm not sure what big moves there are to be made. Everyone is old and signed for a long time.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

That would be fun. He owns a soccer team already doesn't he

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Rangers have been a bit frustrating with their bad luck but have been doing well analytically this year so honestly am happy with them. They’re staying in the running while getting the bumps sorted out and are playing a more sustainable system for success this year

Just stop getting unlucky please

Also come back Chytil please and stop getting injured

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Eric the Mauve posted:

It was pretty obvious the PK would suffer without Marino and ERod but I never expected it to be this much of a horror show.

Marino yes. E Rod no. He didn't PK that much for the Pens. I was actually kind of surprised. 35 total minutes PKing last year. His 8.66 GA/60 was in line with Brian Boyle's. ZAR though.......yeah. I am also starting to become concerned with the goaltending. DeSmith was in a different postal code on 2 of the goals tonight and Jarry was extremely active and came unglued yesterday while have 2 very very poor starts prior to that. Going back to the CBJ game you're looking at - .906, .872, .889, .857, .931 (Seattle game DeSmith started), .850, and .871. That's playoff level goaltending for the Pens.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jamwad Hilder posted:

He owns a small football club in Wrexham, Wales. It is a very small club that is in the 5th tier of English football in the National League. That said, they’re doing a good job running it so far.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Jhet posted:

He owns a small football club in Wrexham, Wales. It is a very small club that is in the 5th tier of English football in the National League. That said, they’re doing a good job running it so far.

For reference on the size of the team, their highest paid players make between $150-$250k and they are the highest spending team in their division by a fair margin.

The division they are playing in is considered a semi-pro league though Wrexham and a few other teams are full pro so they are gunning for promotion which will put them into the actual pro tiers.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

pseudodragon posted:

For reference on the size of the team, their highest paid players make between $150-$250k and they are the highest spending team in their division by a fair margin.

The division they are playing in is considered a semi-pro league though Wrexham and a few other teams are full pro so they are gunning for promotion which will put them into the actual pro tiers.

Yeah, it’s considered outside the football league, though they’re 2nd in the National league which is likely to put them inside the pyramid if it continues.

But it’s a good thing to keep in mind when it comes to just how big the difference is. They’ve essentially bought a major juniors team in terms of turnover. Could they effectively buy and run an NHL team? Sure, but I don’t expect they have 900m laying around and will need partners. I guess it’ll depend on how well Deadpool 3 does. Everyone go buy a ticket, this would be funny.

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
Ryan Reynolds leading the Sens to their first cup while the Leafs languish in the first round would be pretty great, ngl

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/ineffectivemath/status/1588006213941338113?s=46&t=CN5Y5SNc_Us8JNT1hLKjFQ

Thanks Chuck! Glad we kept him around!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

5 years $5 mil AAV.

But he’s hard to play against. Teams come in not wanting to play someone like him.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

J. Gaudreau clearly enjoying cold and damp Finland.

"How did it all get to this point?"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Vatsa tayteen gimme that buffet

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

yeah these are freakin great, I'm gonna get one

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/rupper17/status/1588015490617806848?s=46&t=NrQax_xaCv9EXyuGeumpJA

Starts a fight but lets his dad handle it

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

When people take shots at Matthews and he doesn’t do anything people say that he’s too soft.

When Matthews takes matters into his own hands people say it’s stupid because he could get hurt, and the team needs to support its stars.

When the team steps up for their stars people say that’s bad because guys like Matthews should fight their own battles.

Guys like Mike Rupp trying to cling to relevance don’t need the air, this stuff is tedious.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Those are different people.

For example, I would never say that second thing because I wouldn't mind if he got hurt. I might say the first because it makes people mad and it's easy.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

When people take shots at Matthews and he doesn’t do anything people say that he’s too soft.

When Matthews takes matters into his own hands people say it’s stupid because he could get hurt, and the team needs to support its stars.

When the team steps up for their stars people say that’s bad because guys like Matthews should fight their own battles.

Guys like Mike Rupp trying to cling to relevance don’t need the air, this stuff is tedious.

You can replace Matthews with any star player since Gretzky with McSorley and pals (and probably earlier) and it's the exact same stupid arguments.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Koopa Kid posted:

You can’t win with those idiots. The same kind of people that bemoan the loss of the enforcer but apparently don’t like it when someone even acts like one.

Nothing worse than watching your star player end up in the box for 5+ when you have ppl on the team to do that. I will never get mad watching Ryan Reaves take a massive penalty for a dumb fight. That’s what he is there for.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Personally I'd like to hear more about how the 60 goal scorer is a pussy from a guy who got 54 goals over 11 seasons.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Misanthrope posted:

Personally I'd like to hear more about how the 60 goal scorer is a pussy from a guy who got 54 goals over 11 seasons.

Goals are for soft crybabies that don't do the hard work. Real hockey players measure their manliness in PiMs and fights.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

pseudodragon posted:

Goals are for soft crybabies that don't do the hard work. Real hockey players measure their manliness in PiMs and fights.

mister cherry it's time for lunch

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Arivia posted:

mister cherry it's time for lunch

If it were just one senile, racist bastard that thought that, it'd be a much better sport...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

pseudodragon posted:

Where is pims and fights on the tiebreaker list for getting into the playoffs?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Jeeze, Rupp is 100% right. Real bad look from Auston there. "Please help me, Travis Konecny is about to whip my rear end! I'm only 5 inches and 40lbs heavier than him and one of the strongest players in the league." Can you imagine Messier or Sid or Toews doing that?

You don't have to fight every night. But what's in that clip is gutless. Of course your teammates try to help the star. But if you're physically advantaged and it's an equal match in importance(both team's best Fs), you gotta whip that little guy's rear end. Especially with what the Leafs are right now.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Jeeze, Rupp is 100% right. Real bad look from Auston there. "Please help me, Travis Konecny is about to whip my rear end! I'm only 5 inches and 40lbs heavier than him and one of the strongest players in the league." Can you imagine Messier or Sid or Toews doing that?

You don't have to fight every night. But what's in that clip is gutless. Of course your teammates try to help the star. But if you're physically advantaged and it's an equal match in importance(both team's best Fs), you gotta whip that little guy's rear end. Especially with what the Leafs are right now.

I actually prefer the stand and laugh at him look. "You're so puny, why would I waste a fighting major on you?"

I don't think his team needs to come in and support at all in that situation and they could have just kept playing. The next punch or hack was going to get the first penalty on the exchange if it didn't go straight into a fight. Sucker Konecny into taking a stupid penalty if he's going to take it by standing there and laughing in his face while staring down trying to see it. There's more than one way to get under their skin that throwing punches doesn't need to be the default response. I'd much rather the guy get knocked off his game for 10 minutes trying to calm down the image of being laughed at by Matthews in his head.

I'm not completely against guys punching each other either, but that wasn't a time where a fight needed to happen. Didn't even make that much sense from a posturing point by the Leafs. They'd already won the psychological exchange.

Mike Rupp is an idiot though.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
we need a spear in the nuts there from Matthews at least, Malkin cross check to the face, Kessel windup, something

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I think Matthews could pull off the Kovalev skating elbow pretty easily too, he's the perfect size for it

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Hoffman, Dadonov and Wideman are scratched tonight.

Feels good!!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Strategically it's a bad idea for Auston Matthews to get into fights because the matching majors will always be a good tradeoff for the opposing team to remove Matthews from his next two shifts.

The alternative of goading the other guy into slashing/crosschecking/whatever for a free power play is attractive on its face but also risks injury, and Matthews' wrist is already hosed. Plus it doesn't actually gain much in the long run since the refs are there to Call An Even Game.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Jhet posted:

I actually prefer the stand and laugh at him look. "You're so puny, why would I waste a fighting major on you?"

I don't think his team needs to come in and support at all in that situation and they could have just kept playing. The next punch or hack was going to get the first penalty on the exchange if it didn't go straight into a fight. Sucker Konecny into taking a stupid penalty if he's going to take it by standing there and laughing in his face while staring down trying to see it. There's more than one way to get under their skin that throwing punches doesn't need to be the default response. I'd much rather the guy get knocked off his game for 10 minutes trying to calm down the image of being laughed at by Matthews in his head.

I'm not completely against guys punching each other either, but that wasn't a time where a fight needed to happen. Didn't even make that much sense from a posturing point by the Leafs. They'd already won the psychological exchange.

Mike Rupp is an idiot though.

:ohdear: Hello police? Police?? Travis Konecny is trying to beat me up! Please, I'm at Scotiabank Arena. 40 Bay St, Toronto, Ontario,

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Jhet posted:

"You're not worth my time" is the best reaction to poo poo-stirrers. The best Matthews reaction was when some Sens player tried to start something so Matthews turned him around to look at his name to see who he was.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Eric the Mauve posted:

Strategically it's a bad idea for Auston Matthews to get into fights because the matching majors will always be a good tradeoff for the opposing team to remove Matthews from his next two shifts.

The alternative of goading the other guy into slashing/crosschecking/whatever for a free power play is attractive on its face but also risks injury, and Matthews' wrist is already hosed. Plus it doesn't actually gain much in the long run since the refs are there to Call An Even Game.

have you taken into consideration that it's really cool when a star player nearly decapitates some guy getting in his face

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

:ohdear: Hello police? Police?? Travis Konecny is trying to beat me up! Please, I'm at Scotiabank Arena. 40 Bay St, Toronto, Ontario,

"I'm sorry, we can't spare anyone because we hear he can't even reach your face."

pseudodragon posted:

"You're not worth my time" is the best reaction to poo poo-stirrers. The best Matthews reaction was when some Sens player tried to start something so Matthews turned him around to look at his name to see who he was.

A+ reaction from any player.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Jamwad Hilder posted:

yeah he and rob mcelhenney own wrexham fc and make a "documentary" about it called welcome to wrexham. i hope we get a welcome to kanata if reynolds does follow through

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

T-Bone posted:

we need a spear in the nuts there from Matthews at least, Malkin cross check to the face, Kessel windup, something

True. IF you're a mega star you don't fight, you just do ridiculously dirty stuff to hurt people because you can get away with it and THEN you laugh

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
If anything, Reynolds will have a small minority stake. It'd still be fun though I guess.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Levitate posted:

True. IF you're a mega star you don't fight, you just do ridiculously dirty stuff to hurt people because you can get away with it and THEN you laugh

the goat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnDm8qjmEcA&t=24s

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I want to post the Leon Draisaitl nutcracker video but it seems to be deleted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
also would be cool to see Auston pull the Kovy vs Schenn but we can't all be beasts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aywypSGFDwo

goddamn he was so strong