Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

sassassin posted:

Coconut is good.

Should make some ANZAC biscuits! Or are they AUKUS biscuits now :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Drinkslinger posted:

I like Bounties :(

Getting bits of coconut stuck in my teeth can do one though

Same. But sort of went off them when they changed the recipe about 10 years ago. They are 'drier' less tasting nowadays.

And Celebrations > Roses.
Roses > Quality Street.
Celebrations get finished.
Roses get finished.
Quality Street always have the hard toffee coin ones left. No one likes those.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Nenonen posted:

Should make some ANZAC biscuits! Or are they AUKUS biscuits now :thunk:

WW1 rations that keep for a long time, huh. Consign it to the museum.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Brendan Rodgers posted:

WW1 rations that keep for a long time, huh. Consign it to the museum.

Someone on YouTube will eat it and film it for the world to see.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Rishi got rid of Bounties, he's about to go 20 points clear in the polls

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

happyhippy posted:

Same. But sort of went off them when they changed the recipe about 10 years ago. They are 'drier' less tasting nowadays.

Roses > Quality Street.
Roses get finished.

If I DM you my address will you send me your toffee coins in January? Pls my family is dying

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Jakabite posted:

One thing I’m struggling to understand is that these blackouts, rolling or otherwise, are being talked about in terms of very short spells of a week or so (not short I know but bear with me), but surely if we have a situation where (energy received)-(energy used) < 0 then the blackouts last that long and no shorter. Is this predicated on a particularly cold period raising demand? A short term supply disruption as Europe/UK scrambles to borrow/print money to buy from a source other than Russia? Or a combination?

If the former then it seems unwise to rely on the weather only being Extremely Cold for a week or so, and if the latter then why isn’t that happening already/will they even do that?

I dunno it just feels to me like if blackouts are going to be a thing at all, it’s probably not going to just be for a few days. I’d like to be corrected on this.

As I understand it, there might come situations this winter where demand exceeds generation, if that happens it will cause the frequency to drop from the ideal of 50hz, and if it drops too much it'll cause damage to electrical equipment. To prevent that they instead have to do blackouts to keep the frequency from dropping.

Seems to me if that happens people would scramble to find more generation and hopefully neighboring countries would provide aid. It seems strange to me that they'd keep a constant blackout for up to a week at a time. I would imagine they would instead cut power to a certain area for a few hours, before moving onto the next (rolling the blackout so to speak) so that everyone has some power most of the time, even if the rolling blackout might be going on for some time, so you'd spend an hour or several hours every day without power for a week.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

happyhippy posted:

Roses > Quality Street.
Roses get finished.

I fuckin' love the toffee coins but I no longer trust my teeth not to snap and shatter upon them

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Barry Foster posted:

I fuckin' love the toffee coins but I no longer trust my teeth not to snap and shatter upon them

Same offer to you, I have functioning teeth

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Warm them up first. (Before eating them if you have brittle teeth or before sending them to FI, either/or)

His Divine Shadow posted:

Seems to me if that happens people would scramble to find more generation and hopefully neighboring countries would provide aid.
For a price

quote:

Last week, unbeknown to many outside the power industry, parts of London came remarkably close to a blackout — even as it was recovering from the hottest day in British history. On July 20, surging electricity demand collided with a bottleneck in the grid, leaving the eastern part of the British capital briefly short of power. Only by paying a record high £9,724.54 (about $11,685) per megawatt hour — more than 5,000% higher than the typical price — did the UK avoid homes and businesses going dark. That was the nosebleed cost to persuade Belgium to crank up aging electricity plants to send energy across the English Channel.

Convex posted:

If God exists then He also created coconut crabs, ergo knows exactly what He's doing. Some things are just not meant for us, like those floats they always have piled up next to the swimming pool
Introduce them to the UK to terrorize the bins imo.

And if coconuts exist and are a fruit and are not for us then that just makes them the fruit of occult liberation from the tyranny of the natural order.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

His Divine Shadow posted:

As I understand it, there might come situations this winter where demand exceeds generation, if that happens it will cause the frequency to drop from the ideal of 50hz, and if it drops too much it'll cause damage to electrical equipment. To prevent that they instead have to do blackouts to keep the frequency from dropping.

Seems to me if that happens people would scramble to find more generation and hopefully neighboring countries would provide aid. It seems strange to me that they'd keep a constant blackout for up to a week at a time. I would imagine they would instead cut power to a certain area for a few hours, before moving onto the next (rolling the blackout so to speak) so that everyone has some power most of the time, even if the rolling blackout might be going on for some time, so you'd spend an hour or several hours every day without power for a week.

I think a rolling blackout is what the disaster planning thingy came up with yeah.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

forkboy84 posted:

I don't touch GBS or BYOB but I post in both this and the CSPAM thread

the byob uk chat thread was moved to gbs, they are one and the same thread (the best one). love of ogre penises is a must

the cspam one attracts the normal cohort of internet poisoned posters who think everybody else is a vatnik

and then there's this one

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Warm them up first. (Before eating them if you have brittle teeth or before sending them to FI, either/or)

They're coin-shaped so you can warm them up between your arsecheeks. Please skip this step if you're sending them on to me

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/TLDRNewsUK/status/1588166272738824193

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

They're coin-shaped so you can warm them up between your arsecheeks. Please skip this step if you're sending them on to me
Finally an answer to this 20 year old conundrum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3MaTuv6QHI

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

happyhippy posted:

Those are the best ones!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Good to see Corbyn supporting squatters rights

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

kecske posted:

the byob uk chat thread was moved to gbs, they are one and the same thread (the best one). love of ogre penises is a must

the cspam one attracts the normal cohort of internet poisoned posters who think everybody else is a vatnik

I think we should combine all 3 threads into 1: it would be much more lively and fast-moving, and all posters would get a proper exposure to Shrek.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

happyhippy posted:

Roses > Quality Street.
Roses get finished.

Incredible that you manage to have your tier list exactly reversed, and name the best Quality Street as the worst. Is it opposite day where you live?

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Is the Shrek thing still ongoing? I stopped following that thread for about three weeks when it was going on, and the first time after that I went back in the thread there it was again unspoilered. I did the only report I've ever done on this forum and unbookmarked it.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
any recommendations on a laptop refurb firm? eldest got their college equipment grant in

there's a fuckload of difference between planned, rolling blackout and an "oh gently caress we broke it" blackout- once things collapse, it takesa lot of time and effort to bring the grid back up

first one is you might have a planned few hours a day with/without electricity, the other you could spend a few days without electricity and things have a high chance of extreme spiciness

good tips passed already, just want to add that a good neck/headscarf/keffiyeh/shemagh/whatever is key for layering as it will let you trap heat but also get rid of it as needed and also make you look suave as hell

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

kecske posted:

the dispair thread for reluctant accelerationists

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Clarence posted:

I did the only report I've ever done on this forum

so, the smoking gun is finally revealed

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/AdamBronkhorst/status/1588186749234163721

Clarence
May 3, 2012

That's right, it was me wot dun it, gov.

I do get the impression, though, that mods have to deal with insane amounts of reports on the most trivial crap all the time.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Clarence posted:

That's right, it was me wot dun it, gov.

I do get the impression, though, that mods have to deal with insane amounts of reports on the most trivial crap all the time.

I can't believe you just stood back and let Learnincurve take the rap for it lmfao

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nothingtoseehere posted:

So the nightmare scenario that would cause blackouts is a combination of consistent low winds in the North sea minimising wind power, along with a big cold snap hiking gas useage. And by cold snap, it's not just a "regular" period of 0C, but a surge to -5C in the midlands and south from arctic winds, which is inherently short-term because the ocean around the UK is warmer than that that and tends towards a warmer balance.

Also i believe the guardian article suggested flood damage as a factor too, which does tend to happen in the UK in winter.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

OwlFancier posted:

Also i believe the guardian article suggested flood damage as a factor too, which does tend to happen in the UK in winter.

Yeah but the worsening year on year flooding in the UK is just weather, remember

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

This is in view only mode, you should set it to editable by everyone otherwise I'd need to request access and I don't fancy revealing my email address.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I think it was this thread that recommend 2ndhnd for cheap refurb office chairs back in the summer. I notice they've gone in to administration and have ceased trading.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

WhatEvil posted:

This is in view only mode, you should set it to editable by everyone otherwise I'd need to request access and I don't fancy revealing my email address.

I was wondering why the McShitter hadn't been taken to task

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Clarence posted:

Is the Shrek thing still ongoing? I stopped following that thread for about three weeks when it was going on, and the first time after that I went back in the thread there it was again unspoilered. I did the only report I've ever done on this forum and unbookmarked it.

Absolutely shameful behavior

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Failed Imagineer posted:

If I DM you my address will you send me your toffee coins in January? Pls my family is dying

Barry Foster posted:

feedmegin posted:

Those are the best ones!

big scary monsters posted:

Incredible that you manage to have your tier list exactly reversed, and name the best Quality Street as the worst. Is it opposite day where you live?

DEVIANTS!

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Solefald posted:

I can't believe you just stood back and let Learnincurve take the rap for it lmfao

The rap for what? I must have missed something.

I stopped going in the thread because of the NWS shreks, went back in three weeks later and it was right there unspoilered, reported it and unbookmarked. I can't believe I was the only one who reported it.

Sorry, I'm having a lovely day and so my :thejoke: detector isn't really working.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

i cannot believe I have been missing out on shrek filth

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Clarence posted:

Sorry, I'm having a lovely day and so my :thejoke: detector isn't really working.

ah, greetings kindred spirit

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I am pro Tories in helicopters as often as possible to be honest, much more likely to do us a favour than a car or even a plane.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Clarence posted:

The rap for what? I must have missed something.

I stopped going in the thread because of the NWS shreks, went back in three weeks later and it was right there unspoilered, reported it and unbookmarked. I can't believe I was the only one who reported it.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Shrek Dick. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical phallics most of the jokes will go over a typical reader's head. There's also Shrek's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Shrek Dick truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Shrek's existential catchphrase "It's Swampin Time," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Mike Myers' genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them. 😂

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Shrek Dick tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid 😎

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/rob__waters/status/1588181162479874050

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose you could argue that it made his career but like, that's still extremely weird to imagine that because someone struck it lucky with a fairly mediocre series of books that everyone must now kowtow to her unconditionally because she has ascended to the heavens and brought back the gift of Jobs from the divine realm.