Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I want to post the Leon Draisaitl nutcracker video but it seems to be deleted

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/sx4txz/updated_condensed_compilation_of_draisaitl/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

beautiful

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

neoaxd posted:

Hoffman, Dadonov and Wideman are scratched tonight.

Feels good!!

There are so many awful Senators alumni floating around the league, I love it. the Rangers just signed Ben Harpur

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1588216140798611459?s=46&t=W0A7Hx_anBB9u-NGheIjJw

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I mean, that’s a helluva lot better choice than all the other team’s paid corporate shill sponsors.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
Rupp has a point on this one. If you're going to get involved in something, don't just stand there and smile when your teammates come to defend you. Your teammates are dropping their gloves, potentially getting injured with broken hands and concussions, and you're not doing anything. That's not going to fly in a team atmosphere. Teammates are going to get salty at you. The worst part is Matthews is certainly not soft and can lay out big hits and handle himself. He just likes to play the smile game, which does annoy the other team, but it also annoys your team in situations like this.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

"get involved" get serious, Konecny is a noted rat, he took the first pop, he made the first slash, and the last time Auston actually hit back hard the league handed him a hefty suspension and nobody was going "heck ya bud"

I understand the shitposting about wanting violence but let's not get into some disingenuous theoretical discussion about the Leafs locker room

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I was!

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Koopa Kid posted:

"get involved" get serious, Konecny is a noted rat, he took the first pop, he made the first slash, and the last time Auston actually hit back hard the league handed him a hefty suspension and nobody was going "heck ya bud"

I understand the shitposting about wanting violence but let's not get into some disingenuous theoretical discussion about the Leafs locker room

It happens on every team in every sport, but go ahead and believe the Leafs room is different from every other.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Koth posted:

It happens on every team in every sport, but go ahead and believe the Leafs room is different from every other.

Every player in the locker room has praised both Giordano and Rielly this season for stepping in when guys have taken shots at Nick Robertson and Auston Matthews respectively. The fact that players continue to step in for others would make me think that they're not secretly steaming about it. I don't expect you to know anything about that because you wouldn't read or watch these things, but go on.

The only way to not "get involved" in that video would be for Auston to skate away from a guy taking shots at him. Which would then be more bait for the same dumb assholes like Rupp to whip up people who love having their opinions made for them.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Koopa Kid posted:

Every player in the locker room has praised both Giordano and Rielly this season for stepping in when guys have taken shots at Nick Robertson and Auston Matthews respectively. The fact that players continue to step in for others would make me think that they're not secretly steaming about it. I don't expect you to know anything about that because you wouldn't read or watch these things, but go on.

The only way to not "get involved" in that video would be for Auston to skate away from a guy taking shots at him. Which would then be more bait for the same dumb assholes like Rupp to whip up people who love having their opinions made for them.

Koopa Kid posted:

Everybody will praise Gio and Rielly. They should. But I guarantee you that Auston's behavior was noted not just in that locker room but around the league, too. How does he expect his teammates to fight for him if he won't fight for them? I like Auston a lot, and he's a tremendous hockey player, but he hasn't won a goddamn thing in this league. As mentioned before, that would never happen with Messier/Sid/Toews/Getzlaf/Malkin/Lecavalier...all of the guys who've won in the last 10-20 years, hell even Bergeron wouldn't have done that. No one's gonna critique him in public, but Shanahan or Keefe or someone has to pull him aside and say "listen you can't do that". I get not going against someone like Reaves or even a bigger star like Pietrangelo or something, but a 5'10" guy who's the best player on the other team? You gotta beat his rear end

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I don't see Auston motioning his teammates in to take TK on, I see a guy spoiling to start poo poo cause his team's been embarrassed and Gio takes him out of there of his own volition. I really don't understand this thing where fans of other teams are trying to mind read the Leafs players and head office as being secretly upset about something that they're willingly doing repeatedly.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The other wild thing is that Leafs fans aren't the ones talking about this thing, Rupp isn't local media and not a single credible person who actually follows the team has anything bad to say about it. It's a non-issue here.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Everybody will praise Gio and Rielly. They should. But I guarantee you that Auston's behavior was noted not just in that locker room but around the league, too. How does he expect his teammates to fight for him if he won't fight for them? I like Auston a lot, and he's a tremendous hockey player, but he hasn't won a goddamn thing in this league. As mentioned before, that would never happen with Messier/Sid/Toews/Getzlaf/Malkin/Lecavalier...all of the guys who've won in the last 10-20 years, hell even Bergeron wouldn't have done that. No one's gonna critique him in public, but Shanahan or Keefe or someone has to pull him aside and say "listen you can't do that". I get not going against someone like Reaves or even a bigger star like Pietrangelo or something, but a 5'10" guy who's the best player on the other team? You gotta beat his rear end

speaking of shanahan and fighting

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

No one's gonna critique him in public, but Shanahan or Keefe or someone has to pull him aside and say "listen you can't do that".

I don't get this take at all, I think it's more likely that they told him to stay out of these scraps to keep him healthy. If he got hurt trying to scrap with someone it's all their heads.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

tinstaach posted:

I don't get this take at all, I think it's more likely that they told him to stay out of these scraps to keep him healthy. If he got hurt trying to scrap with someone it's all their heads.

Yeah. The whole point of having enforcers is that they go "Nah man, I got this." Like that's their entire reason to exist.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

tinstaach posted:

1000% they would be ecstatic with him beating Konecny's rear end in that situation. They should be fired on the spot if they aren't. There's a time and a place for star players to fight (or at least cross check the guy in the face and scrum up!), and that was one of those times. Hopefully Auston learns that.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
i think it's cool as poo poo when kucherov starts poo poo and then maroon or perry come over and get their own rear end kicked in kind of a "died for our sins" kind of biblical way. anyways, go bolts.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Yeah I'm sure everyone in the org is livid Auston didn't break his hand in a meaningless fight

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

1000% they would be ecstatic with him beating Konecny's rear end in that situation. They should be fired on the spot if they aren't. There's a time and a place for star players to fight (or at least cross check the guy in the face and scrum up!), and that was one of those times. Hopefully Auston learns that.

Are you writing these stupid takes yourself or copypasting them from old Coach's Corner segments?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Wonderllama posted:

i think it's cool as poo poo when kucherov starts poo poo and then maroon or perry come over and get their own rear end kicked in kind of a "died for our sins" kind of biblical way. anyways, go bolts.

I think it's hard because of his Hasbulla-like size for him to find a reasonable dance partner. To Kuchie's credit he really goes after guys that are bigger than him. I don't blame him for that, since he know he's not ethically supposed to fight them. I thought I remembered him fighting, like, Jared Spurgeon or something though and I looked it up and saw that he's fought Torey Krug and Trevor Daley, lmfao. Atta boy. Would have been embarrassing if he called in like Tyler Johnson or something to handle that business

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Wonderllama posted:

I think that's the way most dressing rooms work. There's a list of guys that everyone know that "if someone messes with <Stamkos/Kucherov, Matthews/Marner/JT, McDavid/Leon>, you gently caress them up," with you being whoever the closest 3 guys on the ice are. Not sit back and wait to see if they can take care of themselves first. Just deal with it and ask questions later.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Konecny is an agitator who is constantly chirping players and refs, he was trying to goad Matthews into reacting (as he should) and he did the right thing not taking the bait. It’s not like Matthews made his teammates attack Konecny, “SIC EM BOYS!” Reading anything else into it is some serious armchair psychology.

If Konecny was really menacing his team and bullying guys and Matthews just watched that’s one thing but this was obviously him trying to throw him off his game/get him in the box. A

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Whats with all this Don Cherry chat in the thread

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

stab posted:

We're debating ethics in fighting in sports journalism.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
This wouldn't have happened if this was Jarome Arthur-Leigh Adekunle Tig Junior Elvis Iginla

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
IMO the bottom line is how his teammates feel about it. If they have a problem, they should tell him. If they don't, then it's fine. People like Rupp and anyone else can gently caress off about it if they're not privy to what's going on in the locker room

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Levitate posted:

IMO the bottom line is how his teammates feel about it. If they have a problem, they should tell him. If they don't, then it's fine. People like Rupp and anyone else can gently caress off about it if they're not privy to what's going on in the locker room

I'd be angrier if my star teammate broke his hand or got concussed and hosed up our season

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
other things Mike Rupp can help Auston Matthews with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7LRvzN9AFw&t=1s

the above will require the successful completion of (3) playoff rounds however

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Star players occasionally getting into a fight is one of the coolest things in hockey. Or when they knock someone's rear end out with a big hit.

I still remember Bergeron, of all people, laying Joel Bouchard out like 15 years ago like it was yesterday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g0o0Ke3Anw

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/68Jagr/status/1588246124150018048?t=FdmMWgeupLQclpFASglVzw&s=19
I love Jagr even though his jersey number is anti-communist

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

"Jágr names former United States President Ronald Reagan as his hero for his work towards ending communism in Europe."

Lmao, hockey players never change I guess.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Koopa Kid posted:

Guys like Mike Rupp trying to cling to relevance don’t need the air, this stuff is tedious.

lol no, Matthews is a little bitch.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Whatever you think about Auston Matthews' bravery, fortitude, testosterone levels or testicle size, he is objectively a large man.

He's a huge bitch. Get it right.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
Matthews would've lost the fight. He made a smart business decision.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I'd rather Connor and Leon take names and throw elbows and nut shots vs getting in first fights but maybe they'll lose the locker room or something. Devin Shore might stop respecting the Captain

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

If Matthews wasn't such a huge bitch he would have gone back in time and made the Leafs draft Konecny themselves instead of trading the pick for Travis Dermott (lol), Jeremy Bracco (lmao) and Andrew NielsenMartins Dzierkals (rofl).

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

The Dirty Burger posted:

There are so many awful Senators alumni floating around the league, I love it. the Rangers just signed Ben Harpur

Does that count as littering? I feel like that counts as littering.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

stab posted:

I HOPE YOU ARE BUYING SOME POPPIES, drat IT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Dahlin has been getting physical and fighting with guys this season and it owns. He also snowed a guy who was down in the face while the ref wasn’t looking. He is the greatest.