Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
We'll get the maiming once Kino shoves a guard's arm into the machinery. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

It's breaking my mind that the show to do this is the one about the least interesting character in Rogue One that we were all shittalking about when the series was first announced way back when.

Funny how these things work out, innit?

I feel like there's been a couple of people in this thread that are still in the "Cassian is the most boring person" on the show, and I have to disagree. When you learn about where's he come from, he totally comes across as a traumatized prison bred relatively young guy whose every reaction (from mean mugging the two corporate cops in the first ep, to his increasing freakout when going to shock prison) has been molded and sculpted by doing hard time. He's always looking around, always ready to react and/or get violent, never gives anything away he doesn't have to, and tries to blend in when he can but has an inner hosed up reaction to people that always betrays him (like it did with those two cops, if he had been more normalized he would have just pretended to like them when he got into the brothel and maybe avoided the whole situtation).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I wouldn't be surprised if Narkina doubling everyone's sentence was simply a first reaction to PORD actually saying "All sentences are now life sentences". It gives them more time to whatever the next release was to figure things out while agitating the prisoners less than simply removing the releasing timers might do (and indeed the inmates seem agitated at the doubling but not outright rebellious, meanwhile 2-5 rioted the same shift they got the mistaken recycling). Probably saw an uptick in suicides as was seen, but eh, acceptable losses!

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I think the hands thing was there to make us dread and anticipate a maiming happening, then when they have poor Ulaf go down to a stroke it’s just that much more unexpected.

They were specifically showing Ulaf having trouble with his hands; he was having trouble with some of the physical tasks last episode and he was rubbing them as if they were aching a lot. Then he was slow to get his hands clear earlier in this episode. Then it turns out to be a red herring, stroke instead of sudden mutilation.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shageletic posted:

I feel like there's been a couple of people in this thread that are still in the "Cassian is the most boring person" on the show, and I have to disagree. When you learn about where's he come from, he totally comes across as a traumatized prison bred relatively young guy whose every reaction (from mean mugging the two corporate cops in the first ep, to his increasing freakout when going to shock prison) has been molded and sculpted by doing hard time. He's always looking around, always ready to react and/or get violent, never gives anything away he doesn't have to, and tries to blend in when he can but has an inner hosed up reaction to people that always betrays him (like it did with those two cops, if he had been more normalized he would have just pretended to like them when he got into the brothel and maybe avoided the whole situtation).

In history, there are generals who are renowned for their ability to "see" the ground, basically look at a potential battlefield and work all the angles and advantages and disadvantages out almost instantly. I feel like that's what we've seen out of Andor, how quickly he clocks holes in the Aldhani cell's plan, and then spending an entire episode observing before very actively trying to set up a jailbreak. He strikes me as a fixer type, very fast to take in what's going on and come up with a response.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Servetus posted:

They were specifically showing Ulaf having trouble with his hands; he was having trouble with some of the physical tasks last episode and he was rubbing them as if they were aching a lot. Then he was slow to get his hands clear earlier in this episode. Then it turns out to be a red herring, stroke instead of sudden mutilation.

Common warning signs of an impending stroke:

Headaches
loss of balance or coordination
Sudden confusion or trouble understanding speech/speaking
weakness of the body, especially on one side or limb
sudden trouble with eyesight or loss of visual acuity in one or both eyes

Ulaf displayed most (but not all) of this over the episode. :smith:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh also lol that euthanasia drugs are standard in Imperial med tech field kits.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

People are reading too much into the hand thing. Numb, painful or prickly hands are often a warning of an upcoming stroke and/or super high blood pressure.

The stroke or heart attack was obvious once I saw the hand problem

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

zoux posted:

I'm unclear if the prisoner recycling was always how it was done or if it was just done because of the new laws passed in the wake of Aldhani. I'm pretty sure it's the latter because I imagine the first dude to get recycled would be like "uh, guys, guess what just happened to me".

I came to say this, they definitely weren't always doing it because when Andor asks "No one's getting out, are they?", the med-tech says "Not anymore. Not after this." It's unclear if "this" is the PORD or perhaps even just the specific incident on Level 2, but it seems to be a new practice.

My initial impression due to that lack of clarity was that the prisoner being released and placed back on Level 2 was actually just a clerical error with no broader malice, the kind of pure mistake meant to signify the Empire's scale making it incompetent and that incompetence being another way in which it can gently caress you, but I think the PORD thing is a neater explanation with fewer holes. Either way, I'm not sure we'll get a full explanation of the incident because I think we're past it now.

e: Revisiting the scene, the way the med-tech angrily says "You heard me" when Kino questions him about how he got put back after being released in the first place definitely seems to suggest it's a broader trend

Arist fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 3, 2022

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Realized that noone in here has mentioned one of the best/broadest laughs in the whole series

Also I'm worried Luthen's been captured:

# of characters currently flying around alone, out in the sticks to avoid running into Imperials because if they run into anyone they'll get busted: 1
# of characters who would be flying around w stolen restricted Imperial gear: 1
# of characters we know to be affiliated w Anto Kreegyr: 2 (Luthen/Saw)
# of characters we know are aware or involved w a plan to blow up the power station: 2 (Luthen/Saw)

on the other hand, if Gorst interrogated him they'd surely know that he's more than just a pilot, if they got the power station dirt we can probably assume they got his address

rivetz fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 3, 2022

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

zoux posted:

Oh also lol that euthanasia drugs are standard in Imperial med tech field kits.

I mean, it's probably just painkillers. Dude just gave all of it instead of a standard dose.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

God, this show sets the bar so high. Gonna be even more disappointing than usual to get season 2 of Obi-Wan or whatever comes next, and return to wooden acting, terrible writing and pacing, and characters who clearly only exist to advance the plot.

Jinnigan posted:

my friend commented that ulaf's stroke was probably a compromise between "workplace death" and "no gore on Disney+"

It's a D+ show where we watch an old man gasp and twitch as he's being euthanized, so that's probably more grim than any number of instant-kill blaster shots in the movies and other shows.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Arc Light posted:

God, this show sets the bar so high. Gonna be even more disappointing than usual to get season 2 of Obi-Wan or whatever comes next, and return to wooden acting, terrible writing and pacing, and characters who clearly only exist to advance the plot.

Live action Star Wars can be this for me, and Mando for me and the fam from now on for all I care. I don't want everything to be Andor because sometimes you have to have something lighthearted with a little creature and a capering droid for the whole family, and Mando hit the spot; it's not apples to apples to compare the two directly. But God drat if we're gonna be force fed Star War spinoffs till we're all skeletons, get the Andor team together to do more stuff like this in and around the same era with whatever ensemble you want and I'll eat from the slop tube gladly.

Book of Obi Wan was bad on its own merits and is just embarrassing now that they've shown Star Wars can reach these heights.

Watched last night's episode with my SO half paying attention playing Zelda and she still had a fist pump cheer moment at the delivery of "no more than twelve"

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
ugh

wikipedia posted:

The second season is scheduled to begin filming in November 2022 and last until August 2023, with Gilroy anticipating a year for post-production as with the first season.
So we are talking fall 2024 goddamnit

Also, cool detail:

quote:

Episodes will once again be filmed in "blocks" of three episodes at a time, with each block moving the story a year closer to the events of Rogue One

So they're even more explicitly mini-arcs, rad

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Not sure if someone already posited this theory, but:

During an unrelated sweep, the manifesto and corpo blaster turn up, leading to Syril getting carted off to Narkina Five for thought crimes, and put on the same floor as Cass just in time for the prison break. :allears:

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Lobok posted:

Don't we know the stakes? Radio tower guy, Bixx, and famously Leia in A New Hope all get tortured for being revealed as Rebels. The sense that she is constantly dodging spies is palpable. Can't trust her driver, can't trust her own family in her own home. There has to be a reason for everyone she talks to and where she goes. She can talk to the banker because he's an old friend and because people suspect it's "only" infidelity. She's being watched at all times but like Andor, the only reason she can get away with what she's doing is that she's not being listened to at all times.

This is a great point and even though "nothings happened" with Mothra yet in a sense, it doesn't matter when the tension that it could is so present. When you're watching her scenes you don't WANT the looming something to happen.

She also compares with Karn, somebody who (arguably) just bought into the inherent necessity and validity of the system that surrounds and molded them. Order and justice can't be wrong, right? While mothma is in her own way similarly fighting for what they have, but with the privilege and perspective to see things have taken a dark turn.

In fact, as much as karn sucks here's an interesting question: is the cruelty the point to him (like the empire at large), or have his upbringing and the laws of the empire tragically convinced a hosed up kid that strength and integrity are achieved through compliance and enforcement of galactic order? It excuses nothing, but there's room for empathy... just like we can feel empathy for Mothma even as her tendency for half measures and incrementalism over violence and chaos is contrast with the freedom fighters dying for a mission.

I can't believe this show has happened and happened so phenomenally thus far, but I am psyched and won't shut up about it dammit!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Now mothra on coruscant, I could get into

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Bloody Pom posted:

Not sure if someone already posited this theory, but:

During an unrelated sweep, the manifesto and corpo blaster turn up, leading to Syril getting carted off to Narkina Five for thought crimes, and put on the same floor as Cass just in time for the prison break. :allears:

Yeah, another goon floated this.

A laser gun with a conspicuous serial number that a criminal thug instantly pegged as a corporate security blaster that will be in PreMor security database somewhere flagged "last siged out by: Karn, Syril" is neatly packed away with a handwritten manifesto. Almost too perfect for this not to be the direction they're going.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Shageletic posted:

I feel like there's been a couple of people in this thread that are still in the "Cassian is the most boring person" on the show, and I have to disagree.

Amen.

Although I guess I'm one of the few completely non-jaded people who loved Rogue One and was actually pretty excited to hear about Andor becoming a thing. I never imagined it being as brilliant as it has been, I thought it'd be more mission of the week kinda thing.

Maybe I'm just edging too much over excellent Star Wars but I'd put Andor up against any prestige TV of the last 20 years. The only thing really against it is the niche of being yet another Star Wars show.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I would agree that Cassian is not the most interesting person in his own show. The villains are just stealing it.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

Owlbear Camus posted:

I would agree that Cassian is not the most interesting person in his own show. The villains are just stealing it.

I like Cassian. It's not an explosive performance, it's a slow burn. Honestly, Luna's performance is wonderfully understated throughout his heist/jailbreak arcs. He doesn't run his mouth constantly or chew scenery, but just slowly processes poo poo around him, only occasionally losing it. I don't think he holds down the center, because in this show he doesn't have to. He's on his own journey like everyone, though his contains more self-discovery. Mostly everyone else, minus Karn maybe, know who they are. They're layered too, and revealing new facets, but Andor is on a more personal, private journey. I'd also add that it's a VERY seventies performance, very internal, very New Hollywood. And I enjoy seeing it.

Love Rat fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 3, 2022

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Diego's performance is really great. He really sells Andor as a very observant survivor, and he has the charisma to fast talk or rally people to his cause. You can see why he will eventually rise the ranks of the rebellion and be entrusted with a very important mission and succeed.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
"Nothing happens" is a pretty common description of human drama among escapist genre fans. The "nothing" is the drama.

edit: all kinds of stuff is happening with Motha.

Love Rat fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 4, 2022

Clean Your Teeth
Jul 10, 2009

Owlbear Camus posted:

Yeah, another goon floated this.

A laser gun with a conspicuous serial number that a criminal thug instantly pegged as a corporate security blaster that will be in PreMor security database somewhere flagged "last siged out by: Karn, Syril" is neatly packed away with a handwritten manifesto. Almost too perfect for this not to be the direction they're going.

Cassian's pistol is from the first pair of Corpo guards he accidentally killed though, not Syrils, I think?

When Cass gets the drop on Syril in his mother's house he could have taken the other gun too I guess, but Syril's blaster looks pretty different.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Quixotic1 posted:

Isn't Andor introduced to Jyn in Rogue One as head of Intelligence?Which is kinda like what Luthen is good at? Andor inherits the mantle?

He’s not head of intelligence. IIRC, he’s introduced as “Captain Andor, Rebel Intelligence” by General Draven, who is clearly Andor’s superior in the movie. I think some of the books and whatnot have established that Draven is pretty is high up the Rebel intel chain, which is still lead by Airen Cracken even in the Disney canon.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Can someone explain in a sentence or two what existed pre-Empire, and how the Empire came to be up till the timeline of Andor?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Hughmoris posted:

Can someone explain in a sentence or two what existed pre-Empire, and how the Empire came to be up till the timeline of Andor?

There was a grand republic of star systems, which got bamboozled by a grifter named Sheev. Sheev toppled the republic from inside, took it over as Emperor, killed all the religious ascetics protecting the republic's power, and now uses all its corrupted institutions to deploy facism.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Also Sheev fucks

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Hughmoris posted:

There was a thousands of years old democratic galactic republic which got subverted into a fascist dictatorship in a decade, prompted by a war in which the chief executive was actually in control of both sides of the conflict.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

1st AD posted:

There was a thousands of years old democratic galactic republic which got subverted into a fascist dictatorship in a decade, prompted by a war in which the chief executive was actually in control of both sides of the conflict.

fartknocker posted:

Also Sheev fucks

1st AD posted:

Thanks! That helps me have a better idea of what all these political maneuvers are about. Now, time to google Sheev...

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Hughmoris posted:

Thanks! That helps me have a better idea of what all these political maneuvers are about. Now, time to google Sheev...

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

Sheev Palpatine, who was a hologram in Empire Strikes Back and lightning fingers in Return of the Jedi. He fucks.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

theflyingexecutive posted:

Sheev Palpatine, who was a hologram in Empire Strikes Back and lightning fingers in Return of the Jedi. He fucks.
This is false. It’s actually his imperfect clone son who fucks.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'd just like to set the record straight that some man named pablo is insistent that he hasn't hosed. Never ever

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Owlbear Camus posted:

She says openly in this exchange that she sees him as an investment upon which she expects a return, not a cherished child to whom she owes an obligation to nurture. Nothing he can do will please her long term. When he says he got a promotion this does mollify her, but there will be a regression to the mean if he doesn't ladder climb.

this is EXACTLY why my husband no longer has any contact or relationship whatsoever with his mother

syril's mother is a narcissist and it's painful to see it so well written and so well acted because it really just takes you back to your own experiences

i hug my husband after every scene with her lol

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

theflyingexecutive posted:

Ahhh! I know (of) that guy but I didn't know his propensity for laying pipe.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

fartknocker posted:

Also Sheev fucks

Picture Sheev at home in the palace, naked but for his slippers, a rose in his mouth, and a well placed bottle of bubbly covering his modesty as he gazes tenderly at...:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I've heard of the monster mash but this is ridiculous

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Love Rat posted:

I like Cassian. It's not an explosive performance, it's a slow burn. Honestly, Luna's performance is wonderfully understated throughout his heist/jailbreak arcs. He doesn't run his mouth constantly or chew scenery, but just slowly processes poo poo around him, only occasionally losing it. I don't think he holds down the center, because in this show he doesn't have to. He's on his own journey like everyone, though his contains more self-discovery. Mostly everyone else, minus Karn maybe, know who they are. They're layered too, and revealing new facets, but Andor is on a more personal, private journey. I'd also add that it's a VERY seventies performance, very internal, very New Hollywood. And I enjoy seeing it.

Did everyone just forget when Andor jump scare capped Skeen? Like at that moment I gasped and was like who the gently caress is this dude. He's extremely watchable and intriguing.

I will agree with the back half of the statement though. It's not that Cassian is boring its just that everyone else is killing it and we want more.

Btw I am loving loving debating about who's best in a Star Wars. Like holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Syril just doesn’t realize he’s got too much wiener energy to ever be taken seriously. They only way he’d get ahead is if his uncle had real juice with the empire. No one wants to party with that guy.

CubanMissile fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 4, 2022