Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Chili posted:

"This minute is for Idaho" got the biggest laugh out of me Survivors gotten in a long time. He's kind of emerging as a real character. Got Coach-lite vibes.

Didn't he follow that up with "This minute is for Alaska" or something? I wonder if he was just going to go through all 50 states if Cody kept holding on.

On another note: I think Dwight sensed something was up and gave Jeanine's idol to someone else before tribal, just going off the way he reacted when the votes were being read. Which, if true, is just an absolutely baller move to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

IcePhoenix posted:

Didn't he follow that up with "This minute is for Alaska" or something? I wonder if he was just going to go through all 50 states if Cody kept holding on.
I bet he said a little something about his connections to those states that they didn't show.

IcePhoenix posted:

On another note: I think Dwight sensed something was up and gave Jeanine's idol to someone else before tribal, just going off the way he reacted when the votes were being read. Which, if true, is just an absolutely baller move to make.
If he sensed something was up he should've used the idol, not given it away!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fast Luck posted:

If he sensed something was up he should've used the idol, not given it away!

That would have been even more incredible tbqh

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I was watching the episode while working so it's possible that I just missed it, did Dwights name even come up before tribal? Because I felt like James was the main person they were talking about.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SalTheBard posted:

I was watching the episode while working so it's possible that I just missed it, did Dwights name even come up before tribal? Because I felt like James was the main person they were talking about.

Fast Luck posted:

Jesse said he was closer to Karla than to Noelle, he wanted to work with Karla, and he didn't like how Noelle was taking over. Said voting Noelle would be the risky move vs the safe move of the big vote split. Went to Cody who said he'd rather do Dwight instead of Noelle. Jesse said he was fine with giving Cody his preference to help Cody feel empowered and like he has agency.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

IcePhoenix posted:

If he did I don't think Jeanine knows, because she kept reaching her hand back and holding it up like 'give me my idol back' while the Dwight votes came in. He did tell her 'I got you' though so he may have already passed it on.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Its funny that after all the impassioned speeches about race in Survivor the last 2 seasons we're getting a full "get the blacks out first" season.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I didn't realize Elie is black, drat

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

I didn't realize Elie is black, drat

Man don't go pulling this. It's fairly obvious that the rate that black players are being voted out is higher than random.

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

According to many Survivor articles this week, Jeanine did not get her idol back from Dwight and it is gone. Once Jeff says "If anyone has an immunity idol and wants to play it..." production freezes any idol passing or whatever and the chips lie where they may.

quote:

"Once the reading of the votes begins, that's it,” Jeff explained to EW. “That's why I say, 'If anyone has an idol or an advantage and you want to play it, now would be the time to do so.' That's your window. After that, you are basically handcuffed from doing anything other than hoping it's not you."
He also explained how if a player tried to give away their advantage after getting voted out, producers would confiscate it. “Once you're voted out, you're out of the game and any advantage or idols in your possession lose all their power. You must turn all unplayed idols or advantages over to us. You are not allowed to even sneak an advantage to a player so they could try to bluff with it."

Overdrift fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 4, 2022

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Chili posted:

Man don't go pulling this. It's fairly obvious that the rate that black players are being voted out is higher than random.

You cannot claim this without also conceding that casting brought on more black players than would be statistically probable.

In the end this discussion is irrelevant. I have not gotten any sort of race vibes this season which I cannot say about some previous survivor seasons.

I may and probably will be horribly wrong about this but let’s wait until the beans spill before we climb aboard the racism express.

Gabler really changed my mind about being worthless and I’m sad I didn’t get him on my roster.

James is a huge threat that will either go next or not at all.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I mean, the first person voted out was Morriah for a kind of bs reason, and it was uncanny this past episode seeing a three-way vote split hit all three remaining black contestants.

Coincidences are possible and with more black players, there has to be more black players getting voted out too. And all these three people made the merge to be here getting votes in the first place. But it could also be something like part normal boot, part coincidence, and also still have some bias seeping in.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Overdrift posted:

According to many Survivor articles this week, Jeanine did not get her idol back from Dwight and it is gone. Once Jeff says "If anyone has an immunity idol and wants to play it..." production freezes any idol passing or whatever and the chips lie where they may.

Lol poor Jeanine, she's not having a good time

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fast Luck posted:

I mean, the first person voted out was Morriah for a kind of bs reason, and it was uncanny this past episode seeing a three-way vote split hit all three remaining black contestants.

I don't even remember what happened with Morriah, why did they vote her out?

Overdrift posted:

I mean yes this is all true but it doesn't discount the chance that Dwight passed it to someone else before tribal

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't even remember what happened with Morriah, why did they vote her out?

Challenge weakness, supposedly

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Metis of the Hallway posted:

Lol poor Jeanine, she's not having a good time

Glad her chin wound is healing up at least, that poo poo was gross as hell since basically episode 1

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
I'm not trying to make any bold claims about the motivations for boots. I'm not alleging that anyone on this cast is racist or is motivated in that way. I'm not claiming anything that isn't simply true.

This season, black players happen to be voted out more frequently than non black players based on the numbers of who's involved, same goes for women. That doesn't mean anything else, it's just a thing that's happened. Let's hope that this is all just gameplay motivated, but again, can't really know.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Tangentially Survivor-related, but did anyone watch The Amazing Race this week and laugh when they got to the Detour with the "games that medieval knights played in the Days of Old to prepare for war" and then they showed them and it was all challenges they borrowed from Survivor

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Ironic Twist posted:

Tangentially Survivor-related, but did anyone watch The Amazing Race this week and laugh when they got to the Detour with the "games that medieval knights played in the Days of Old to prepare for war" and then they showed them and it was all challenges they borrowed from Survivor

It was pretty funny.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Ironic Twist posted:

I've been watching this season for the first time in many years, and I swear each week they add a new team I've never noticed before. I think some of the teams have just been barely getting an edit until the episode they get voted off.

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

I mean yes this is all true but it doesn't discount the chance that Dwight passed it to someone else before tribal

According to the context of the EW Interview with Probst they ask "Could Dwight have handed the idol back before that final vote was read?" so it seems pretty set to me?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ironic Twist posted:

yes absolutely

Nihonniboku posted:

I've been watching this season for the first time in many years, and I swear each week they add a new team I've never noticed before. I think some of the teams have just been barely getting an edit until the episode they get voted off.

I dunno, I feel like each team has gotten a pretty fair amount of airtime. The team that lost this week has gotten a ton of time considering they've been in the back third of the pack for like four straight weeks.

e:

Overdrift posted:

According to the context of the EW Interview with Probst they ask "Could Dwight have handed the idol back before that final vote was read?" so it seems pretty set to me?

ok yes but again this doesn't say that he even had the idol in his possession when he was voted out, it's just reiterating the rules if he did.

Like occam's razor is that yes of course he got voted out with it in his pocket but the fact remains that the edit left doubt on it and none of the rules clarifications have said "yes Dwight had the idol and couldn't have passed it"

I'm sure we'll find out within the first five minutes next week but it's fun to speculate

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 4, 2022

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

I think the best plan if you're scared of a KIP advantage is to find a fancy looking tree and tuck it away until the morning after Tribal Council. Nobody but you and the cameraman would know.

Edit: Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point but the article literally says

quote:

"Even though Dwight told Jeanine "I got you" and "I see you, I see you," he did not turn the idol over before he was eventually voted out by the tribe."

Overdrift fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 4, 2022

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Overdrift posted:

I think the best plan if you're scared of a KIP advantage is to find a fancy looking tree and tuck it away until the morning after Tribal Council. Nobody but you and the cameraman would know.

Edit: Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point but the article literally says

Can't give it back if you don't have it :shrug:

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Chili posted:

I'm not trying to make any bold claims about the motivations for boots. I'm not alleging that anyone on this cast is racist or is motivated in that way. I'm not claiming anything that isn't simply true.

This season, black players happen to be voted out more frequently than non black players based on the numbers of who's involved, same goes for women. That doesn't mean anything else, it's just a thing that's happened. Let's hope that this is all just gameplay motivated, but again, can't really know.

I feel like women were more targeted in the pre-merge since the assumption with a lot of survivor tribe challenges (and this was actually the case in 42, the last season they saw) is that having a strong meaty guy is a recipe for success. Without swaps or other "Outs" you just want that challenge dominating tribe. Additionally, Shot in the Dark probably makes blindsides more likely, and scrambling a lot harder.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Yeah that happens in Australian Survivor too. Women at huge risk early on because it’s so physical. But then when they make it to the merge a lot of the bigger men start going out.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Chili posted:

I think it's a weird take but also race quite likely would be a factor, but in the same way that gender often is in Survivor. Especially coming off seasons 41 & 42, that the Survivors probably all watched before the game started and seeing at least some form of an attempt at an african american alliance.

It's kind of an interesting dynamic with Survivor casting being more diverse, it's almost a guarantee that there is going to be some strategy involving the diversity.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Dwight claims on exits he saw Sami huddling with Coco right before Tribal and knew all 5 of those votes were coming his way specifically. Says he started trying to break up the vote split at Tribal (which failed, they still split). He said he had no idea Cody and Jesse were flipping on him, so he didn’t know he was in the minority no matter what, but having 5 votes coming your way with your side is splitting 4-4, down to 4-3 without Sami, while you desperately try to get someone to unsplit is uhh pretty precarious.

He says he did flip his own vote but since the result was 2 total onto James, that means even with Jesse and Cody on James, he would’ve gone out 5-4-3… If he really knew this maybe he should’ve played the idol even if it wasn’t his. Or maybe his exit interview just isn’t canon. Maybe “feared” 5 votes were on him became “knew” over time, and I don’t see how he could’ve flipped his own vote like he claimed unless they were going for a straight 4-4-4 on the initial vote, or thought Coco votes would be spread around.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 4, 2022

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

going 4-4-4 is fine since you just get to pick one of the targets on the revote if no idols get played, or dump all the votes onto the unsafe one if one is.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I'm hoping that next week is also a failed split vote

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

IcePhoenix posted:

going 4-4-4 is fine since you just get to pick one of the targets on the revote if no idols get played, or dump all the votes onto the unsafe one if one is.
Well I guess you can’t go 5-3-4 because that doesn’t even protect you from an idol. But 4-4-4 needs all 8 people to stay strong and loses with a single flip. More risky than hitting an idol?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fast Luck posted:

Well I guess you can’t go 5-3-4 because that doesn’t even protect you from an idol. But 4-4-4 needs all 8 people to stay strong and loses with a single flip. More risky than hitting an idol?

This is the problem with any vote split really, unless you have an overwhelming majority like 10-2 or something

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Anyone ever go to the Bryce and Wendall watch parties?

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Studio posted:

Anyone ever go to the Bryce and Wendall watch parties?

I'm going to the one in DC in December.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Chili posted:

I'm looking at the LA one, even though the guest list was a lil' rough early lol

https://twitter.com/BriceAndWen/status/1588884326691016704

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

They’re really highlighting the Big Brother people in that poster for some reason.

I went to the RHAP live this past Wednesday and Brice/Wen ran the after party at a bar that your wristband from the shoe could get you into, but I walked past and it was packed to the gills like you couldn’t move so I skipped it. Weird thing about the live show was that 1/3 of this season’s cast showed up.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Chili posted:

Just looked up the event, I've lived in DC for over a decade, and I've never heard of Proper 21. Looking at the location, it looks like it's a place that caters to tourists, so that would make sense, especially looking at the yelp profile where the majority of the reviews are from people who don't live in DC.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Nihonniboku posted:

Just looked up the event, I've lived in DC for over a decade, and I've never heard of Proper 21. Looking at the location, it looks like it's a place that caters to tourists, so that would make sense, especially looking at the yelp profile where the majority of the reviews are from people who don't live in DC.

v0v I just want to see the baby bois

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Oh that’s the same location they used Wednesday.

Probably will be better when they don’t have 400 RHAP event attendees trying to cram into the place though.

I did one live KIA before and the bar party after was actually very cool, lots of Survivors just hanging out having a drink and you can sidle up to their table with the other fans and chat with them. For awhile Natalie Anderson sat down at the bar next to me, and as it cleared out a bit I sat at a table with Jeremy and later Stephen Fishbach and like 5 other fans and just chatted Survivor. Very cool, I’d recommend going.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
In other not dc venue related news:

7 Picks are in for this week, 5 left to go.

So far, nobody has been picked twice and we have some all-new castaways showing up this week!

https://forms.gle/FER9jeySvREKW3hD8