Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

cat botherer posted:

Oh yeah, it'll completely fall apart. It's like how a big Rube Goldberg machine stops working when you remove the toaster.

It will still run, just like all the companies that don't replace people when they quit and make everyone work 2-3 roles.

It will just run way worse and stupider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

cat botherer posted:

Eh, I'm not sure you really need thousands of people to run twitter. The moderation and such sure, but that's not what dominates the present headcount as it stands. Needing that many people for a website and lovely phone app is just because of snoballing complexity of the intertwined social and technological bullshit, which begets yet more bullshit.

The absolute alienation of labor from end product is completely insane but also the natural endpoint of the path people like Musk are on. The problem is that if you spend 44 billion to inherit a company that is way down this path of needing to bring loads of people on for political favors and venture capital pitches, just firing almost everybody only makes it worse because it's a lot of work hours to get back out of it, and anybody thinking like that in the first place isn't going to cut the sort of positions that potentially could be cut with a minimum of disruption.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, unless 50% of the company was "that old dude in the basement who's still on payroll for some reason" and everyone knows that's the 50% that was laid off, it seems very much like A Not Good Thing for many factors.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, unless 50% of the company was "that old dude in the basement who's still on payroll for some reason" and everyone knows that's the 50% that was laid off, it seems very much like A Not Good Thing for many factors.

The saying I've heard about layoffs - and this is primarily for companies that truly do need to lay people off for financial reasons but otherwise have a viable business model - is to cut once, cut deep, and be generous with severance packages/support. Basically, let everyone that remains know that their jobs are safe for X months (ideally 12+) and that because you care about the folks that were let go, you were as generous as possible. An old employer of mine recently went through their fifth round of layoffs in <12 months. Nobody there feels safe, and I'm assuming everyone smart is already gone or is actively looking to jump ship ASAP.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
the people that don't want to (or can't afford) to live within striking distance of SF will be exterminated and slowly replaced with Accenture "consultants" from the latest outsourcing hotspot - the Phillippines.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

evilweasel posted:

so here's the thing about loading $13b of debt onto a company that has $1b of interest payments per year: suddenly you don't have an option except to be short sighted. it turns the company's cashflows into something like blood: it doesn't really matter if you have more than enough blood today, and more than enough blood a week from now, if tomorrow you don't have enough. you die.

musk is not making the short-sighted decisions that dumb CEOs make when they are trying to juice shareholder value in the near terms and/or junior execs doing Things They Take Credit For. they are going to wind up with similar results, but they're from a fundamentally different place.

musk cannot afford to make long-term decisions because he must get twitter to generate $1 billion of free cash flow per year, very fast - just to keep up with the interest payments. this is why highly leveraged companies (highly leveraged means, basically, it has a ton of debt compared to its real value) make bad decisions. their "cost of capital" - what they have to pay in interest to get a dollar - is very high, so an employee that generates a reasonable return on the costs of employing that employee may be just not worth it to the company after you factor that in. it's why leveraged buyouts result in companies getting sold off for parts and other seemingly stupid decisions where value is destroyed. the reason their "cost of capital" is so high is that when you lend money you are (generally) last behind the existing creditors - so a highly leveraged company can't really take out new debt except at extortionate interest rates and/or by stealing collateral from their existing lenders.

theoretically, twitter should not be a highly leveraged company, since theoretically if you're buying it for $44b it should be worth $44b. but, uh, lol. twitter's actual value is $13b or less because it can't actually support that level of debt without crashing and burning, and is as a result hilariously overleveraged.

As the owner, Musk's fortune is Twitter's fortune. If Twitter is going to go under, it's in Musk's interest to make sure he doesn't lose the value of the company by failing to have the company meet its cashflow requirements. He doesn't have to order all of Twitter's workforce to flip over couch cushions to make Twitter self-sufficient next week, if that isn't in the long-term interest of Twitter.

Musk cannibalizing the long-term prospects by chasing short-term Checkmark dollars isn't some grand business vision, it's just the side effect of Musk implementing his previously stated policy preferences, which it turns out the long-term profit sources *hates*.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I recall reading at least one article that said that Silicon Valley tech CEOs think the entire sector is way over staffed and that most companies should be cutting their headcount by 50% or more in their opinions. I suppose that's good for housing prices in the Bay and Austin but there's probably a lot of consternation coming for people took the whole "learn to code" thing to heart

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm not too concerned with what happens after twitter collapses.

I am concerned about what will happen to all that information that flowed from twitter. While I imagine anything remotely important will be remembered on a wiki somewhere, the details that existed on twitter might be lost. That sort of information erodes in time as people grow up or forget, and a new generation comes with only a story told of what happened before. Without the literal context, it gets harder to believe the past existed the way it did.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Freakazoid_ posted:

I am concerned about what will happen to all that information that flowed from twitter. While I imagine anything remotely important will be remembered on a wiki somewhere, the details that existed on twitter might be lost. That sort of information erodes in time as people grow up or forget, and a new generation comes with only a story told of what happened before. Without the literal context, it gets harder to believe the past existed the way it did.

People will just move onto something of equal or greater convenience. I think someone upthread mentioned TikTok. There are plausible alternatives that even right now make more sense than Twitter. The tweet format is already long in the tooth. Tweet threads are loving obnoxious and feel like we are moving backwards in Internet communication. Celebrities have largely moved away from Twitter because it's mostly just a way to damage your brand at this point (keeping it real goes wrong!), and people left over are mostly posting two-line jokes or screeds.

I don't know, to me it's been a lumbering undead curiosity for a while. It's never been profitable, it was considered ludicrous that Musk would even buy it at the share price.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 3, 2022

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Freakazoid_ posted:

Aren't all tweets stored in the Library of Congress?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
@drill tweets lost...like tears in the rain.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Devor posted:

As the owner, Musk's fortune is Twitter's fortune. If Twitter is going to go under, it's in Musk's interest to make sure he doesn't lose the value of the company by failing to have the company meet its cashflow requirements. He doesn't have to order all of Twitter's workforce to flip over couch cushions to make Twitter self-sufficient next week, if that isn't in the long-term interest of Twitter.

Musk cannibalizing the long-term prospects by chasing short-term Checkmark dollars isn't some grand business vision, it's just the side effect of Musk implementing his previously stated policy preferences, which it turns out the long-term profit sources *hates*.

musk has limited liquid cash and, uh, just burned $31 billion of it. financing twitter's interest payments is...rough for musk. and remember: if it can't generate enough to pay off the debt it's not actually worth the debt and each billion dollars musk sinks in is another lost billion dollars. also, remember that he is the richest person in the world because he has a massive tesla stake, and tesla trades at like 70 times earnings when normal companies trade at 15-20. in other words, in a market correction caused by the end of free money (imagine, say, the fed dramatically and repeatedly hikes interest rates) he's in for his wealth taking a massive beating.

i don't want to suggest musk isn't doing immensely stupid things. he is, much worse than the leverage is forcing him to. like the entire philosophy behind his planned 50% layoffs appears to be that someone texted him (a) the revenue per employee for apple and google; (b) the revenue per employee for twitter (about half); and (c) the suggestion that if he cuts employees in half the revenue per employee will be the same as apple and google, voilà, instant profit. you might be thinking "thats insane, that can't possibly be right, this is obviously a joke" but no, we have the text messages on the subject from the trial

but the financial hole that twitter is now in is also delightful because it means even if musk suddenly wises up he's still hosed and it means either he relentlessly drains his cash/sells down his tesla stake, or he lets it collapse, or he does self-defeating and stupid things even if he doesn't want to

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

rscott posted:

I recall reading at least one article that said that Silicon Valley tech CEOs think the entire sector is way over staffed and that most companies should be cutting their headcount by 50% or more in their opinions. I suppose that's good for housing prices in the Bay and Austin but there's probably a lot of consternation coming for people took the whole "learn to code" thing to heart

Silicon valley tech CEOs have never run companies in a way that didn't seem like the furher bunker, right down to the Adderall and vitamin d deficiency. Most of them burn out or explode and either sink there company or get handed a cardboard box by their shareholders in favor of someone with the banks mindset from their most senior staff. Universally they are fairly bad at product and project management, and they expect tech workers to confirm to their idiot whims.

A lot of them managed to get money for business plans that require no one else turning around and building a better service off the lessons you paid to learn, outright monopoly, or for things where they were offering a worse more expensive option. These people got rich off free money flowing through VC, so it's not surprising there razor edge business plan collapses when belts tighten and money gets expensive.

Barrel Cactaur fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 3, 2022

Lord Harbor
Apr 17, 2005
Bruce Campbell: You've stolen my heart, but you'll never take my freedom
Nap Ghost

rscott posted:

Silicon Valley tech CEOs thinking a thing doesn't really say anything about whether or not it's true. I don't have any special information or even the article that you read so take my opinion with a huge grain of salt, but it's hard for me to interpret that statement as anything other than 'Silicon Valley tech CEOS think they shouldn't have to pay as many employees".

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Freakazoid_ posted:

Not only that, but there's a HELL of a lot of war crimes evidence on Twitter. I remember during the worst days of the Syrian civil war Twitter was just absolutely full of videos of atrocities. I'm sure it's the same way now with the Ukraine war. What happens to all those videos? What if by some miracle Bashar Assad ends up on trial at the Hague someday? Sure there's plenty of non Twitter evidence but as we've seen in war crimes trials in the past sometimes these dictators still get away with a lot because of lack of solid evidence. I doubt all these videos are stored somewhere else readily accessible. If Twitter goes under there's a lot of very valuable evidence that could be lost forever.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I don't think it's a lack of evidence that's the reason when someone at the world leader level of power gets away with mega-crimes, but I'm also a pretty through and through coal hearted cynic when it comes to this stuff.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Content moderators should be contractors with minimal training that are hired from a massive pool of revolving door employment like telemarketers or Amazon warehouse employees. They should be placed in a liminal space like a large, nondescript office floor that is colorless and has pillars, fluorescent lighting but no windows. Give them tablets that can do nothing but access an endless stream of posts and moderation tools. Any conversation between moderators is prohibited.

Give them a list of rules that are explicit enough to be defensible to advertisers but vague enough to be interpreted so as to defend any action or lack there of.

Managers on the floor have never moderated, do not know the rules and do not answer questions. They are there only to admonish the employees for failing to meet the quota or who are doing anything except scrolling and modding.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

basically this but for computer touchers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hcSd7UqwKw

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Cranappleberry posted:

Content moderators should be contractors with minimal training that are hired from a massive pool of revolving door employment like telemarketers or Amazon warehouse employees. They should be placed in a liminal space like a large, nondescript office floor that is colorless and has pillars, fluorescent lighting but no windows. Give them tablets that can do nothing but access an endless stream of posts and moderation tools. Any conversation between moderators is prohibited.

Give them a list of rules that are explicit enough to be defensible to advertisers but vague enough to be interpreted so as to defend any action or lack there of.

Managers on the floor have never moderated, do not know the rules and do not answer questions. They are there only to admonish the employees for failing to meet the quota or who are doing anything except scrolling and modding.

I prefer the self selecting autocratic microstates of pseudonymous terminally online voluntees whose motivation is shrouded until they can seize the prime chair due to those above them burning out, dying, or getting a real job that eats all their time. This new group institute a purge of their posting enemies and figures they consider heretical. Got to love Reddits libertarian attitude toward subreddits.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

I don't think it's a lack of evidence that's the reason when someone at the world leader level of power gets away with mega-crimes, but I'm also a pretty through and through coal hearted cynic when it comes to this stuff.

You're definitely right but regardless all war crimes evidence uploaded to social media platforms should be stored somewhere safe since as we've seen time and time again social media networks come and go.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Charliegrs posted:

You're definitely right but regardless all war crimes evidence uploaded to social media platforms should be stored somewhere safe since as we've seen time and time again social media networks come and go.

A lot of 3rd party NGOs and such grab that stuff as soon as its posted for precisely this reason.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
NBC news did a deep dive investigation and found out that Kanye has been doing insanely anti-Semitic things for at least the last 4 years, praising Hitler, abusing staff, and having meltdowns/destroying property in the workplace. But, all of it has been covered up by him and a team of his handlers who arranged for settlements and NDAs from all the people involved.

TMZ, Tucker Carlson, and at least one other media outlet have video of Kanye going on anti-Semitic rants during interviews, but edited it out and kept it from broadcast.

The whole list of things is incredibly crazy and includes Kanye and his staff keeping a list of all the executives that he did business with and marking the Jewish ones down in red ink as a reminder.

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1588236260023406593
https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1588236262590369798
https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1588236436322623490

quote:

Ye paid a settlement to former employee who alleged he praised Hitler and Nazis during meetings, documents show

LOS ANGELES — Ye, the artist previously known as Kanye West, paid a settlement to a former employee who alleged that he had used antisemitic language in the workplace, according to documents reviewed by NBC News.

In addition, six people who have worked with Ye or witnessed him in professional settings over the past five years said they had heard him praise Adolf Hitler or mention conspiracy theories about Jewish people. Three of them are former employees or collaborators, and they said they recalled multiple instances of Ye’s using antisemitic language. The three other people said they recalled a 2018 incident in which Ye went on an antisemitic tirade in an interview at TMZ’s offices.

Their accounts, as well as the settlement, suggest that Ye has used such language for years in more instances than previously known to the public, well before his recent antisemitic comments online and in interviews came to light, resulting in his losing a wave of business deals.

Ryder Ripps, a conceptual artist who worked with Ye on and off from 2014 to 2018, said he recalled multiple times when Ye spoke positively about Hitler and the Nazis or mentioned anti-Jewish conspiracies during meetings in the summer and fall of 2018. Ripps, who is Jewish, said he pushed back against Ye’s comments at the time but thought they “didn’t seem that dangerous.” After Ye’s most recent wave of statements, however, Ripps said he sees things differently. “This is dangerous and disgusting and actually violent,” he said.

“With this pattern that’s happening and with the doubling and tripling down of all this, it’s pretty obvious that this is some kind of disgusting, hate-filled, strange Nazi obsession,” Ripps said.

In the settlement reviewed by NBC News, Ye paid a former employee who alleged having witnessed more than one incident in which Ye praised Hitler or Nazis in business meetings. Ye denied the claims made by the former employee in the agreement.

The former employee spoke on the condition of anonymity, having signed a nondisclosure agreement. NBC News, which is withholding certain details about the settlement to protect the person’s anonymity, reviewed the settlement, along with other correspondence and proof of the payment the former employee said they had received.

Representatives for Ye did not respond to requests for comment.

CNN reported last Thursday that a business executive who worked for Ye had accused him of creating a hostile work environment through an “obsession” with Hitler and had received a settlement. NBC News has not confirmed the settlement, which appears to be separate from the case of the former employee who shared settlement documents with NBC News.

Ye has recently made a string of remarks targeting Jewish people and referring to antisemitic conspiracy theories, some of them on social media and in interviews with Chris Cuomo, Fox News and the “Drink Champs” podcast. The comments have included repeated attacks on “Jewish media” — invoking the antisemitic claim that Jewish people disproportionately control the media — and Jewish people in general. In an interview with Piers Morgan, Ye apologized “for the pain that I’ve caused and the confusion that I cause.” Days later, however, he doubled down on his previous antisemitic remarks in an interview with MIT research scientist Lex Fridman. On Friday, Ye continued to echo antisemitic conspiracy theories in a conversation with paparazzi, pulling up a spreadsheet that he said highlighted Jewish media executives in red.

In the past, the media and other onlookers have struggled with what to make of some of Ye’s statements, such as when he repeatedly made public attacks against his estranged wife, Kim Kardashian, and her then-boyfriend, Pete Davidson, in February.

Ye has spoken openly about having bipolar disorder after a 2016 hospitalization. At points, however, he has disavowed the diagnosis. In his 2018 White House meeting with President Donald Trump, Ye said his bipolar diagnosis was a “misdiagnosis,” saying another doctor had said his mental health issues stemmed from sleep deprivation. In his recent interview with Fridman, he said that the doctor who diagnosed him was Jewish and suggested that the diagnosis was “a control mechanism.”

Ye’s recent remarks have led to a cascade of consequences.

On Oct. 20, Balenciaga severed ties with Ye, who had opened the fashion house’s runway show in September. On Oct. 25, Adidas ended its partnership with Ye and his brand Yeezy, joining Gap, Foot Locker and other brands that have cut off business relationships with him.

Three of the six former colleagues who spoke to NBC News said they recalled his using language glorifying Hitler or targeting Jews multiple times as early as seven years before his most recent wave of public antisemitism.

Ripps said Ye repeatedly echoed conspiracy theories and glorified Hitler and Nazis.

“He had told me a bunch of s--- about, like, how ‘Nazis are good at propaganda,’” Ripps said, remembering multiple instances in which, he said, Ye claimed “‘Jews have codes.’” Ripps recalled a 2018 interaction in which, he said, Ye asked, “‘You’re not offended that, like, I’m interested in Nazis or something,’” referring to an aggrieved Jewish employee. “He said stuff like ‘Jews have the codes’ a lot.”

Ripps said that he pushed back against Ye’s statements in the moment, telling him, “You’re wrong,” but that Ye did not respond.

“There is a line, and I think, like, he’s crossed,” Ripps said. “I genuinely think that he’s crossed it with his current actions and beyond just, like, this is offensive, like these words are offensive. Because I’ve seen an uptick of people, like, personally attacking me … like calling me a Jew on Instagram and Twitter.”

Ripps said he believes antisemitic people have become emboldened following Ye’s public statements about Jewish people. In recent weeks, messages expressing support for his antisemitic statements have appeared over a Los Angeles freeway and at a college football game.

One of Ye’s former employees, who worked with him for three years, recounted having witnessed Ye praising Hitler and Nazis in casual discussions, remembering his bringing up Hitler multiple times.

“I feel like he was just kind of, like, looking around, like, seeing, like, how are people reacting?” the ex-employee said. “He would say, ‘I even love Hitler,’ and then he would, like, pause for reactions.”

The former employee spoke on the condition of anonymity, having signed multiple nondisclosure agreements while working with Ye. The former employee said they lost count of how many nondisclosure agreements they signed during their tenure at the company. Three other employees also noted that Ye asked them to sign more than one NDA.

The former employee said Ye praised Hitler in 2018 in a meeting about an apparel project. Ye said that Hitler “had some good qualities” and that “he wasn’t all bad,” the employee said.

“He would kind of present things as, like, questions to ask people their opinion on something, but then he would go really hard and aggressive on, like, what he thought about it and on really just topics that would upset people, like there were people always visibly upset,” the former employee said.

Another of the six people who spoke to NBC News recalled multiple instances dating to 2019 of Ye’s referring to anti-Jewish conspiracy theories, blaming Jews for certain events and comparing himself to Hitler.

In an episode of the “Drink Champs” podcast last year, Ye also appeared to position himself as akin to Hitler, describing a long-standing feud with Drake and saying: “When people went to go get Hitler, they didn’t go straight for Hitler. They set up fake tanks.” Ye appeared to be comparing Drake to the “Ghost Army” of the Allied forces in World War II, which used inflatable tanks to fool Hitler.

On Oct. 11, Van Lathan, a former TMZ podcast host and producer, recounted another instance of antisemitic language from Ye.

On an episode of the “Higher Learning” podcast, Lathan said that during a 2018 “TMZ Live” interview, Ye said he loved Hitler and Nazis. Lathan pointed out that the comments were not published online. According to Lathan, the statement provoked a confrontation between a TMZ producer and Ye, which was eventually cut from the published segment.

Representatives for TMZ did not respond to a request for comment.

Three former TMZ employees said they remembered Ye’s statements about Nazis and Hitler and the confrontation that followed. The former employees asked to remain anonymous, citing nondisclosure agreements, unrelated to this specific incident, they say they signed with TMZ.

Two of the former TMZ employees said a Jewish producer stood up to confront Ye about his remarks about Nazis and Hitler.

One of the former employees said the only response from Ye they remembered was that he smiled.

After the interview, “Harvey got on the loudspeaker and was like: ‘Nobody do anything. Everybody just sit there. Nobody do anything with any work,’” said one of the three former employees, who worked as a production assistant, referring to TMZ founder Harvey Levin. Later, the former employee said, he was instructed “don’t post the Jewish stuff” by a co-worker who cited a directive from Levin.

Another of the three former employees said, “Harvey came back into the edit bay and said cut out anything related to Jews, to that type of antisemitism.

“I wish I kept the footage.”

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Back in January, VA governor Glenn Youngkin (who ran on getting the libs out of education) set up a dedicated email tipline for parents to report instances of CRT-teaching and other liberal indoctrination in their kids' schools. And after some public records requests and legal wrangling, the contents of that email account have been made public.

Turns out there weren't very many reports, and that it died off very quickly!

https://twitter.com/BisforBerkshire/status/1588202072670969856

Not only that, but we have stats and details!

The account received 350 emails from roughly three dozen email accounts, all of which came in "the first few months of 2022".

Roughly 160 of the emails (about 45% of the total) were from a single person, a single-issue special education advocate who appears to have genuinely thought that Youngkin was going to fix special ed, and filled the tipline with complaints about his failings.

quote:

Lucas, a former school board candidate who has been involved in numerous lawsuits involving special education and arrested multiple times for her activism, was hopeful Youngkin would deliver on his promise of protecting parents’ “fundamental rights.” She said she voted for him and even helped his wife hold education roundtables ahead of his November 2021 election.

Lucas and the other special education “momvocates” in her network “expected some serious change to be made,” she said. They envisioned a future in which they would no longer be “silenced” or “retaliated against.”

But in Lucas’s view, that didn’t happen. She says she never heard back from the governor’s office or education department officials. “My primary purpose was to raise the issue of how the governor failed us,” Lucas said. “He won an election on how parents matter; parents voted for him because he validated their voice. And we learn now, 10 months into his tenure, that we don’t really matter.”

One person sent daily emails for more than a month praising individual teachers, apparently to counteract his anti-teacher rhetoric. Another person sent 23 emails complaining that the school district wouldn't let them put their fifth-grader into sixth-grade math classes. Ten people sent emails complaining about mask mandates. In the end, only a few people sent emails complaining about liberal bias in schools.

quote:

Just a handful of the emails dealt with issues relating to curriculum. One parent in Loudoun County, whose name was redacted, was infuriated that they had to submit public records requests to get copies of the lesson plans and learning objectives for their child’s seventh-grade English, history/social studies and biology classes.

"As a Parent, I have the right to validate (through the Lesson Plans) that [my child] is NOT being taught divisive concepts (or in Biology not being taught divisive gender-bending LGBT-campaigns with overly sexualized lesson content)," the parent wrote in an email.

One complaint about teaching practices came from a student. “Much to my dismay, my teacher has based the entire curriculum around Critical Theory,” wrote the high school senior in Montgomery County. “The first book we are reading is ‘Beowulf.’ All my teacher wants to talk about is how the book is sexist because it portrays the warriors as men and not women.”

Another shared excerpts of seven controversial books in their school libraries, including George M. Johnson's All Boys Aren't Blue. "These books distort what healthy relationships are and rob our children of their innocence," the person wrote.

Youngkin has been praising the tipline in speeches, but it seems to be just bullshit - hardly anyone used it, and nobody got responses.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m baffled that TMZ of all places decided to cover for Kanye on this in 2018

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

TMZ is a gossip site right? Kanye becoming completely radioactive would've been extremely bad for their bottom line even without anything else being considered, and as we've learned from so many tabloids, half the point is being a catch and kill outlet for people ownership likes

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

TMZ is a gossip site right? Kanye becoming completely radioactive would've been extremely bad for their bottom line even without anything else being considered, and as we've learned from so many tabloids, half the point is being a catch and kill outlet for people ownership likes

Yeah, but despite being a tabloid-tier gossip rag, TMZ is pretty well known for accuracy and probably also have a very talented legal department.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Honestly, the team of people who are enabling him, creating Jew lists for him, arranging the NDAs and settlements, and working with media companies to prevent his rants and abuse from going public are basically putting in an incredible amount of work to get money from a messed up person.

Having bi-polar doesn't make you lose all free will and Kanye is obviously responsible for himself, but it seems like a huge group of people are enabling a really bad lifestyle and abuse of people who work for him just to stay employed.

I'm kind of amazed that they have been able to keep a lid on all this stuff for almost half a decade given how prolific Kanye is with his public statements. The Pentagon Papers didn't even stay secret for that long.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
With all the hate and bigotry it kind of makes sense now why Kanye was toying with running for president.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I don't think it's coincidental that this stuff is hitting the airwaves after his divorce (having lost that network of handlers), or that the media is fixated on his antisemitism hobby compared to his history of weird, inappropriate behavior.

Handlers will tolerate a lot for a paycheck, and right-wingers will be supportive no matter what you say.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Honestly, the team of people who are enabling him, creating Jew lists for him, arranging the NDAs and settlements, and working with media companies to prevent his rants and abuse from going public are basically putting in an incredible amount of work to get money from a messed up person.

Having bi-polar doesn't make you lose all free will and Kanye is obviously responsible for himself, but it seems like a huge group of people are enabling a really bad lifestyle and abuse of people who work for him just to stay employed.

I'm kind of amazed that they have been able to keep a lid on all this stuff for almost half a decade given how prolific Kanye is with his public statements. The Pentagon Papers didn't even stay secret for that long.
I kinda wonder how many people really have access to him on a daily basis. It might not be all that many, which would make it easier to keep a lid on things.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

It's a decent bet that a few of those people secretly (or openly) agree with at least some of what Kanye has said - and are probably that much better at running interference because they know they won't have the same protection he does.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
What did Aziz Ansari know and when did he know it?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Well, there was one person who said something long before anyone else
https://twitter.com/Pink/status/3967674746

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Even knowing both the antisemitic bent of online conspiracy theorists / alt-right folks, and Kanyes obvious instability, I still would have assumed this was just a detached celebrity pulling the "no bad publicity" thing trump and musk have so much... "success" with. A cynical move to get attention and tap a demographic.

Apparently I'd be wrong and dudes full on anti-semite shitheel bought in on a global jewspiracy.

I've met people who should know better defending Kanye (supposedly based on appreciating him as a musician), I wonder what they'll make of this. Also I sure hope such a prominent celebrity going all in on this poo poo isn't used to clamp down on the web in some way, much as I worry about jan 6 and the Pelosi assault helping ramp up a police state that the right already screams for.

Imagine both sides of the aisle in a race to "defend freedom" by increasing a police and surveillance state.

It... shouldn't be hard, actually.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Problem Kanye has always been that a lot of response to him was often white people being upset that a black man was successful and arrogant.

So a lot of people felt the need to defend him, not knowing about the Nazi poo poo.

Also he had a very very good albums, which people have a hard time letting go because people don't like admitting they liked art from a terrible person, like Louie CK or R Kelly

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m baffled that TMZ of all places decided to cover for Kanye on this in 2018

I wonder if either TMZ was going to blow him up on their own whenever they felt like the time was right or if he was a big gossip leaker for them himself.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

BRJurgis posted:

Even knowing both the antisemitic bent of online conspiracy theorists / alt-right folks, and Kanyes obvious instability, I still would have assumed this was just a detached celebrity pulling the "no bad publicity" thing trump and musk have so much... "success" with. A cynical move to get attention and tap a demographic.

Apparently I'd be wrong and dudes full on anti-semite shitheel bought in on a global jewspiracy.

I've met people who should know better defending Kanye (supposedly based on appreciating him as a musician), I wonder what they'll make of this. Also I sure hope such a prominent celebrity going all in on this poo poo isn't used to clamp down on the web in some way, much as I worry about jan 6 and the Pelosi assault helping ramp up a police state that the right already screams for.

Imagine both sides of the aisle in a race to "defend freedom" by increasing a police and surveillance state.

It... shouldn't be hard, actually.

The opposite seems to be happening, with Musk taking Kanye's side and people like Kyrie Irving broadcasting their own anti-semitism to legions of fans who are now loving everywhere on tiktok and twitter going unchecked.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Ye has been best buds with Candace Owens for years now, can't say I find the anti-Semitic stuff too surprising in that context

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Failed Imagineer posted:

Ye has been best buds with Candace Owens for years now, can't say I find the anti-Semitic stuff too surprising in that context

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar made note of this in a substack post today

quote:

Kareem Note: The problem of antisemitism is much bigger than Irving or Ye. They are merely the unwitting spokesperson for the right-wing political movement that is blatantly taking over the GOP. (For the full story, read “Jewish leaders call on GOP candidates to reject antisemitic comments”). Many Republican candidates running for some of the most powerful positions in their states and in the country—such as Pennsylvania’s GOP gubernatorial nominee Doug Mastriano—feel perfectly free to publicly spout antisemitic statements without fear of reprisal from their own party or the voters. That should be a very troubling sign for all marginalized groups because fascists always start by demonizing one group—right before they go after the others.

"The Jews control the world" has been right-wing mainstream belief for several years now. They're just starting to not bother hiding it behind "globalists" and "Soros" anymore. Kanye's a MAGA-hat-wearing Republican, and the connection to hotep "Blacks are the real Jews" nonsense just adds more appeal to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Youth Decay posted:

"The Jews control the world" has been right-wing mainstream belief for several decades/centuries now.

None of this is new.

And yes they'll go after the other groups too.