Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Youth Decay posted:

"The Jews control the world" has been right-wing mainstream belief for several years now. They're just starting to not bother hiding it behind "globalists" and "Soros" anymore. Kanye's a MAGA-hat-wearing Republican, and the connection to hotep "Blacks are the real Jews" nonsense just adds more appeal to him.

Centuries really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
1488s & Heartbreak

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Ideology

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Youth Decay posted:

The opposite seems to be happening, with Musk taking Kanye's side and people like Kyrie Irving broadcasting their own anti-semitism to legions of fans who are now loving everywhere on tiktok and twitter going unchecked.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Ye has been best buds with Candace Owens for years now, can't say I find the anti-Semitic stuff too surprising in that context

I try not to pay attention to celebrities honestly (hell without social media or cable TV it's not much effort). I like to say I "don't believe in them".* I'm not sure who Kylie Irving is for example.

This just seems particularily egregious and political, much like musk in a certain way. And as much as I understand the democrats making political hay from jan 6th and the Pelosi attack, "voting for democrats" obviously isn't a solution in itself to violent radicalization (or mentsl illness and antisemitism), so I just wonder what actual action or legislation this would bolster or provoke. Especially since everywhere from republican campaign ads to npr station shows I'm hearing how much democrats love criminals and hate police.

*this purposefully ambiguous statement usually elicits some humorous responses especially from younger people. Think somebody immediately and enthusiastically signing onto the idea that celebrities in fact don't even exist.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
The Life of Franco

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
The College Republican Dropout

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
And here's the resultant outcome from this bullshit.

https://twitter.com/FBINewark/status/1588246302189838337?s=20&t=hMurvBCYpY-plhDi5W4OAw

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Synagogues? Like multiple locations? gently caress

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Madkal posted:

Synagogues? Like multiple locations? gently caress

They probably couldn’t narrow it down any more than “a synagogue in NJ”, or whoever made a threat wasn’t specific, so they’re warning everyone who fits that description

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

going back to more happy topics:

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1588287341554458624

you can save a billion dollars a year by using less hard drive space, right?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m baffled that TMZ of all places decided to cover for Kanye on this in 2018

Two words: Kim Kardashian.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

davecrazy posted:

Two words: Kim Kardashian.
It's either that or they decided they would rather keep having access to Kanye

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Keeping Kim happy was way more valuable to 2018 TMZ then Kanye.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

evilweasel posted:

If they get rid of their backup system, they can cut their hard drive usage by at least half! I mean, they hardly ever use the data in the backups so it's really just wasted money.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

evilweasel posted:

Maybe he can take a page out of Warner Bros. book and find a way to ban like 2 million accounts all at once and try to call it a tax write off.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

evilweasel posted:

Ok so I'm thinking he's killing the platform out of spite for being forced to buy it. SpaceX, Tesla, every other "passion" project he has he only pushes for rapid expansion. For all his many, many faults he's not normally some parachute CEO with nondescript business degree that drops in and liquidates a company for all it's worth. He knows that a service or industry only gets better if you put more in, not take more out. But he's gutting Twitter, so either he's throwing a fit, or always wanted to crash the platform. Or both I suppose.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

evilweasel posted:

What a coincidence it's the exact same number as the amount of interest that Musk needs to pay

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

evilweasel posted:

I don't know exact figures, but from I've heard from smarter people is that yes, data costs to track and store, so be thoughtful and purposeful about it.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

What a coincidence it's the exact same number as the amount of interest that Musk needs to pay

It seems unlikely they would even HAVE a billion in infrastructure. Or even close to that. That has to be like AWS or Azure levels of infra.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Draynar posted:

It seems unlikely they would even HAVE a billion in infrastructure. Or even close to that. That has to be like AWS or Azure levels of infra.

Listen, daddy's got bills to pay. The little people can figure it out.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

It was probably posted last weekend but real loving cool to know that this happened about 30 miles up the road from me in a city I lived and worked in for about 20 years

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/30/us/florida-georgia-game-kanye-west

These people are getting more brazen and increasingly acquiring more political power. I know my view is tainted and skewed based on where I live but I'm often curious how many of the posters here who like to handwave and laugh at them actually live in areas where they are growing.

Not directed at you, skylined, just a general observation.

I've been worried about for a good while now - well over a decade - and have many reasons why my concern is obviously misplaced or overblown. Roughly 1/4 to a 1/3 of this country right now honestly believes the Pelosi attack was staged, that 1/5 was no big deal and that the 2022 election was rigged. Maybe even more than that.

poo poo's real bed and not getting better.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I wouldn't call this the most journalistic site but...

AOC reporting having problems with her Twitter account, after calling him out.

Such shock that the free speech "maximalist" is restricting the people who were criticizing him. Totally shocked.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

evilweasel posted:

Calling it now: some big change takes the system down, and whoever would have known how to fix it was fired in the purge, leading to them having to make a whole new twitter from scratch.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Calling it now, Elon Musk messes with the money of the other investors in Twitter like the Saudis and he has to be…uh…invited to a meeting to…let’s say…speak with them.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

evilweasel posted:

Definitely going to restart Vine, any day now.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I can only hope Musk inadvertently torpedoes Twitter, but I don't have that much faith in the universe.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Definitely going to restart Vine, any day now.

And with a brand new paywalled video feature coming in the next couple weeks what could go wrong?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/11/01/elon-musk-twitter-paywalled-video/

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

evilweasel posted:

The schemes are getting even worse: he's trying to setup a system where you can pay to send private messages to high-profile accounts. The result will just drive more celebs, politicians, and content creators, let alone women, from Twitter. It's a recipe for harassment.
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1588308860040671232?s=20&t=GXHahefaOzy84q_tJ6jfww

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Young Freud posted:

The schemes are getting even worse: he's trying to setup a system where you can pay to send private messages to high-profile accounts. The result will just drive more celebs, politicians, and content creators, let alone women, from Twitter. It's a recipe for harassment.
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1588308860040671232?s=20&t=GXHahefaOzy84q_tJ6jfww
But then you can just pay to NOT receive private messages! Capitalism all around!

selec
Sep 6, 2003

It’s an opt-in, so it’s just trying to eat Cameo.

They’re not going to force celebrities to accept random DMs for no money lol.

https://twitter.com/mmasnick/status/1588345167836336131?s=46&t=DZmPGfmF8y8iwgFeT-BCrA

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
With no ID verification his pay for verification is going to be a poo poo show by monday afternoon.

https://twitter.com/RMac18/status/1588304086792667136

https://twitter.com/ariehkovler/status/1588307465170321408

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Draynar posted:

For a company of that size, it's probably a mixed environment of cloud and on-prem for things like data duplication, disaster recovery, and test environments vs production. Blades and storage arrays are profoundly expensive at the enterprise level and they would need a lot of them for the scale of Twitter.

Best guess is that Musk is just going to auction off a whole bunch of Blades and Nimble arrays (or the equivalent) to murder the test and disaster recovery sites.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Reuters had a bunch of people from Twitter leak private IMs and info about how the office is functioning and it sounds like a total shitshow.

They are monitoring all employees computer use to make sure that nobody is leaking anything or informing anyone of who gets fired early. Managers are banned from communicating directly with their staff until the layoffs are finished. All communication has to come directly from Musk and he's not saying anything right now, so everyone is communicating with each other secretly.

People are sleeping in sleeping bags in the office to try and hit deadlines and prove that they are part of the 50% that deserves not to be fired.

All days off have been removed from the company calendar until further notice.

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1588356790605041664

quote:

Chaos, confusion reign ahead of Twitter layoffs

Nov 3 (Reuters) - Fear and dread spread across Twitter Inc offices on Thursday as 7,500 employees from San Francisco to Singapore feared for job cuts that were planned to hit about half of the staff, according to current and former employees and message board posts shared with Reuters.

Since billionaire Elon Musk took over last week, he has kept employees in the dark. He has not addressed the staff or laid out his plans for the future of the company, leaving workers to study message boards, news reports and tweets by Musk and his advisers for clues about their fate, multiple employees said.

Managers have been forbidden from calling team meetings or communicating directly with staff, one senior Twitter employee said, adding that they were being monitored.

"It feels like we're working among the Gestapo," they said.

Twitter did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Employees have largely stopped posting on internal Slack channels for fear of reprisal from new bosses, with many instead taking to venting in encrypted messaging apps and the dedicated Twitter company channel on the app Blind, which provides a space for employees to share information anonymously.

"I'm really worried tweeps," a Twitter staffer wrote Thursday on Blind, which verifies employees through their work email addresses. Twitter colleagues often refer to each other as "tweeps."

The comment only scratched the surface of the dark and apprehensive mood inside the social media company now controlled by the Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) chief executive. Employees are waiting to hear if they will still have jobs on Friday, when layoffs are expected to begin, according to speculation among employees.

WAITING FOR THE AXE

Some Twitter employees have stopped taking calls or responding to emails from clients hounding them for information, because they did not know if they still had jobs, one employee told Reuters.

Others raced to meet deadlines by Friday U.S. time, when they expected the axe to fall, another employee said. One manager tweeted of a photo of herself sleeping on the floor of the office in a silver sleeping bag.

While some worried about annual bonuses or how they would be notified of layoffs, others rushed to apply for jobs at other companies. International employees fretted about the status of their visas. One employee sought advice on Blind on whether it was worth mentioning Twitter on their resume.

Employees who spoke with Reuters said they are learning about changes at their company by observing their work calendars and screenshots of discussion from managers, not from official communication from Musk or other leaders.

One employee confirmed that "days of rest," which are highly popular company-wide days off, have been removed from calendars for the rest of the year.

"Give us the details," a Google employee wrote in a Blind post directed at Twitter staff.

"It's worse than everything you're reading. Much worse," answered a Twitter employee.

Twitter sent out an email to all staff letting them know that they are keeping the list of who gets fired a mystery until tomorrow, when they will announce it by sending personalized emails to everyone letting them know if they still have a job or not:

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 4, 2022

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

evilweasel posted:

Just run Disk Cleanup, bing bong so simple, where's my bonus pay?

AlternateNu posted:

I can only hope Musk inadvertently torpedoes Twitter, but I don't have that much faith in the universe.
He certainly seems to be trying!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Even if I was part of the 50% that kept their jobs, I would be looking for a new job. This just sounds like an incredibly stressful working situation with psychotic management.

I almost wonder if Elon is doing this for some kind of weird power-flexing troll and will announce that all the news stories from the last week were fake and he's not going through with any of it.

There is something kind of darkly hilarious about getting an email from your boss saying to check your spam folder tomorrow to see if you still have a job or if you've been fired via email.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Even if I was part of the 50% that kept their jobs, I would be looking for a new job. This just sounds like an incredibly stressful working situation with psychotic management.

I almost wonder if Elon is doing this for some kind of weird power-flexing troll and will announce that all the news stories from the last week were fake and he's not going through with any of it.

There is something kind of darkly hilarious about getting an email from your boss saying to check your spam folder tomorrow to see if you still have a job or if you've been fired via email.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Twitter probably had some truly talented people working for them. I don't know that for sure, but I'd be willing to bet money on it. Musk just poisoned that well. He also just poisoned the well for a ton of folks who might have otherwise worked for him. Who wants to go to someone who will take over a company and just lay off 50% of folks?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
At this point they could say "lol jk no one is getting fired" and they would still lose a huge chunk of their top talent as soon as they secure an alternative.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Well, the layoffs, at least, appear to be happening. Twitter employees are already losing access to their work accounts, work laptops, and so on.
https://twitter.com/SBkcrn/status/1588357614211158018
https://twitter.com/vansfromearth/status/1588382927372439552
https://twitter.com/ChrisYounie/status/1588378781714370560

As for why they're on their work accounts/laptops in the middle of the night, it seems like a bunch of them were spending the night before layoffs shitposting sharing affirming messages with their coworkers in the company Slack.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So 50% of the company with a few days notice is a massive violation of the WARN Act, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Nah, you can lay them off now and continue paying them for the next two months.

The violation of the WARN Act will be Elon claiming they were fired for cause in an attempt to avoid the two months of severance.