Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The Core Landers in G Gundam attached to the back of the unit, forming the unit's rear/main thrusters for the most part, if I recall. Not quite as fast/simple as the Turn A's Core Fighter sytem, but certainly a drat sight less complex than needing to split the entire unit in two. I believe the Crossbone units do the same thing with their Core Fighters too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

tsob posted:

The Core Landers in G Gundam attached to the back of the unit, forming the unit's rear/main thrusters for the most part, if I recall. Not quite as fast/simple as the Turn A's Core Fighter sytem, but certainly a drat sight less complex than needing to split the entire unit in two. I believe the Crossbone units do the same thing with their Core Fighters too.

So does the G-Self IIRC.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I liked how all the gadessa type suits had core fighters that were just the backpack dumping out and loving off with both the GN drive and the cockpit

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Remember in old SRWs when Gundams got shot down you'd be in the core fighter?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

MonsieurChoc posted:

Remember in old SRWs when Gundams got shot down you'd be in the core fighter?

Not just Gundams, SRW Alpha let you use all sorts of little core bits. Mazinger Z's Pilder, the seperated Get Machines, the individual Combattler and Voltes pieces, Dancougars components... Even the flying car Banjou rides that turns into the cockpit of Daitarn 3! And there was one goofy stage where you were forced to use all of them during an atmospheric reentry that was a hoot. And to make sure you didn't have any trouble you also had all your VF-1s during that mission so it was a total cakewalk

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

G-Bull owns so hard. I always kept my msia in that form

You may not like it, but this is what peak ms performance looks like

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

War and Pieces posted:

An escape jetpack is surprisingly practical for Gundam

Not in Victory. At least not when given a bazooka and swimwear as your equipment anyway.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

what is this from

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ninjewtsu posted:

what is this from

"Gundam Sousei" or "The Men Who Made Gundam", a manga telling a highly fictionalized version of the original show's production that wildly over dramatizes everything, but does have some basis in the show's actual production from what I vaguely recall having not read it in years. Checking it again, it's only 24 issues of roughly 15 pages a chapter going off the first few chapters, so it's not even a huge investment. It's fun though. Exhibit B:

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 3, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
An important video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imbPV6CJFhk

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
finished Turn A, wow Lauren really is VolCel

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/icedoll456/status/1588226254540447744

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSReVVSLfik

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Urdr Hunt has a new Gundam with the Gun Hammer from Monster Hunter

It also has the Falk crest, so that's an interesting bit of trivia. We might finally be seeing another Seven Star Gundam after years of only seeing Gaelio's.

It's kind of funny that Rustal has a Gundam, looking back. Just the main antagonist in a Gundam series owning a Gundam but not bothering to try to get it out of storage and figure out how to get it running again in favor of just spamming orbital artillery.

(Also, yeah. Gundam Sousei is good. It's been officially released in English as The Men who Created Gundam.)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

War and Pieces posted:

finished Turn A, wow Lauren really is VolCel

Nah, he's with Diana now.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

chiasaur11 posted:

It also has the Falk crest, so that's an interesting bit of trivia. We might finally be seeing another Seven Star Gundam after years of only seeing Gaelio's.

It's kind of funny that Rustal has a Gundam, looking back. Just the main antagonist in a Gundam series owning a Gundam but not bothering to try to get it out of storage and figure out how to get it running again in favor of just spamming orbital artillery.

(Also, yeah. Gundam Sousei is good. It's been officially released in English as The Men who Created Gundam.)

I mean, I get that. It probably takes a lot of time to get out of his chair and go all the way down to the loading bay and get into his other chair and pilot the robot. It's a lot easier to just yell at people to fire and make things you don't like disappear.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nuebot posted:

I mean, I get that. It probably takes a lot of time to get out of his chair and go all the way down to the loading bay and get into his other chair and pilot the robot. It's a lot easier to just yell at people to fire and make things you don't like disappear.

I kind of assume that Rustal can't pilot worth crap. I mean, he probably went through training in his younger days, but being descended from an ace pilot doesn't mean you are an ace pilot, and running around on the frontlines when you're bad at it is how you get Iok.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Nah, he's with Diana now.

You look at those two and tell me they are loving.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Loran is heavily into the kind of courtly love where you pine after someone but never actually get anything done.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

wdarkk posted:

Loran is heavily into the kind of courtly love where you pine after someone but never actually get anything done.

So is Dianna if you take even a cursory glance at her relationship with Will Game. They're both just shy romanticists, so something will happen; it'll just take a while. Probably. That, or the heat death of the universeUNIVARSE!!!!!. One or the other.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

They're Tomino characters, Waffleman.

That is not a group known for reluctance to bone down.

Even off-screen characters were horny enough to more than double the population of the Earth Sphere between UC 0080 and UC 0096.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, the ending sequence goes out of its way to show they sleep in separate beds. Definitely feels like Lorain's capable of romantic attraction (see also, frenching Sochie and then leaving), but doesn't consider it as important as his other obligations (see also, frenching Sochie and then leaving).

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Turn A was still under the Hays Code. They had to do that

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, the ending sequence goes out of its way to show they sleep in separate beds. Definitely feels like Lorain's capable of romantic attraction (see also, frenching Sochie and then leaving), but doesn't consider it as important as his other obligations (see also, frenching Sochie and then leaving).

What other obligations? He and Dianna are engaged, if not married going off the ring she's wearing, and all we see him doing is basic domestic stuff. Fishing, cooking, eating etc.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

don't a lot of irl married couples have separate beds in the same room that they can push together and whatnot? maybe lorans just a blanket hog if they sleep in the same bed

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Booky posted:

don't a lot of irl married couples have separate beds in the same room that they can push together and whatnot? maybe lorans just a blanket hog if they sleep in the same bed

They sleep in different rooms.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

a blanket gravity well

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Could be a moon thing

If you sleep in the same room with someone you might overload the carbon scrubber a bit and feel like poo poo in the morning

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

tsob posted:

What other obligations? He and Dianna are engaged, if not married going off the ring she's wearing, and all we see him doing is basic domestic stuff. Fishing, cooking, eating etc.

She's wearing a ring, but I don't recall him wearing one.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Booky posted:

It's not uncommon in Japan for married couples to not only have separate beds, but to sleep in different rooms. It's not exactly common from what I gather, but it's not uncommon either so far as I can tell. It's an odd enough phenomena in Japan compared to basically everywhere else in the world that a college professor in Chiba University wrote a book on it called "A Place Where You Can Be Yourself: A Deeper Look Into Houses and Families As Seen In Territorial Studies"

Kobayashi Hideki posted:

When the author researched the way that couples slept in a Tokyo apartment building, it appears that a total of 26% slept separately. Furthermore, when limited to those couples over 60, the figure rises to 40%. For those still living with their children, “sleeping separately” levels at around 28%; however, when it comes to households where a child is now independent and lives separately to their parents, the the number of married couples who sleep separately is more than half, at 53%.

According to a survey carried out by Seniorcom that was aimed at people over 50, the percentage of couples in Japan who sleep separately was 40%. In neighbouring Korea, the figure is 19%, and in America it was 14% (2004). In the West, couples sleeping separately is considered the beginning of a divorce, and it is thought proper for couples to “sleep together” in the same room. The high number of elderly couples who sleep separately, and whose children are now living separately, in particular, is a rare phenomenon in the world.

Separately in this case being separate rooms, not just separate beds. At least, so far as I can tell going off how different articles discuss the book. I didn't see any number for how many couples were surveyed, but this is the one source most articles I've seen on the subject from Googling a few times eventually come back to.

There are a number of reasons that I've seen cited for the trend, starting with the reason I saw quoted from him on an article that there is a tradition of the mother sleeping alongside the infant, and that this is linked to why there is no sense of reluctance to going back to sleeping separately in old age. I'd presume he means in a separate room to not disturb a working spouse or something. However, I've seen other articles noting that because so many men working white collar jobs frequently work unpredictable over time hours, and that even many women are now in a similar situation that the hours a couple has off together can vary greatly, so having one specific room both people sleep in can be a burden, with one waking the other as they come and go when the other person desperately needs that sleep. And on a somewhat downer note that because divorce rates are lower in Japan, married couples who have decided they are done but don't want to get a divorce just default to separating out their lives.

It kind of links back to the ring thing in the Turn A finale. Dianna is wearing a ring on the right finger of the right hand to be either an engagement ring or a wedding ring, but Loran has none at all. A lot of people took this to mean it was Will Game's ring, even though Will Game not only never gives her a ring, but he specifically notes that he won't even ask for her hand in marriage until he returns successful. Which he never does, and Dianna is forced to return to the Moon to go into cryostasis before his fate can be confirmed. She never has a ring in the flashbacks, and isn't given a ring during those episodes. The epilogue is the first appearance of the ring.

However, Japanese men often don't wear their wedding rings. It's more common for them to do so nowadays, but even 20 years ago when Turn A was being made it was less common and men traditionally didn't wear them for a few reasons, from the fact men often worked blue collar jobs where jewelry would be a hazard and so just never wore it (rather than taking it on and off frequently as would be more common in some places) to it being easier to cheat if you didn't have a ring to hide in the first place. They do get a ring when marrying; they just didn't wear it historically a lot of the time. Tomino was nearly 60 by the time he was working on Turn A, so it's not remotely surprising he'd have a more traditional view of things in a relationship like how couples co-habit and rings and because it's outside many non-Japanese viewers context, it's just automatically interpreted differently.

Personally though, I just think it makes more sense with their personalities that Dianna and Loran would be somewhat reticent with each other, even in their privates lives; especially if they're only engaged and not actually married yet. If you look at Dianna's relationship with Will Game, where she very explicitly did view him romantically, and they did want to marry, she is still very formal with Will. She almost always (possibly even always, I'd have to check) calls him Will-san, rather than using just his name; same as with Loran for the most part. The only thing we see them do that is explicitly romantic is to carve a love heart with their initials into a tree. They're mostly quite formal with each other in the flashbacks we see. They're just rather formal people, on the whole. A societal thing that is less in place by the time the show takes place on Earth, I guess.

Ultimately, Tomino did say that he viewed Loran and Dianna romantically, but he didn't want it to be a major thing. Which is probably why they have several rather romantic scenes during the show, some pictured in the tweet below along with Tomino's views on the matter, but the finale didn't actually focus on them as a romantic couple and instead just as a couple however audiences wanted to interpret it.

https://twitter.com/feezy_feez/status/1370175810913505280

I doubt he'd mind if people wanted to view their relationship as one built out of respect instead of romance and that Loran was volcel or whatever, even if it wasn't how he personally viewed things. He is, perhaps, less consoling on Loran's relationship with Sochie though.

https://twitter.com/feezy_feez/status/1370192823358693377

A lot of games and even some of the manga made out of Turn A went with Loran and Sochie as a couple or at least desiring each other, but honestly, I've no idea why personally; yeah, they kissed, but Loran never showed any feelings for her up to that point, and Sochie herself points out a few times that Loran seems to have feelings for Dianna and/or Kihel. More than that, despite Loran being one of the most emotionally mature and emotive protagonists in the franchise, he has no reaction to that kiss. Sochie is crying, and he just solemnly kisses her, turns around and walks away without a look back or any apparent emotional reaction to doing so. He just does not seem into Sochie romantically at all, so I've always found it a bit weird that so many fans ship them when all the emotion in that relationship seems to be unrequited longing on her end.

I kind of hate the implications of "he's just taking care of Dianna until she dies, and he'll return to Sochie afterwards" too, a thing which seems to be a common view. I think one of the SRW games or a G Gen game even used that idea, from what I've seen people saying. No idea if that's true or not mind; I've just heard a game ending quoted as being a source for how they're a couple. I hate it not so much because of the whole "Dianna is dying" thing that is itself questionable, but because it implies a servant can't have a live in partner. Which we know isn't true even in universe, because the Heims had a married couple as their major servants (Jessica and Sam). It also implies that Dianna knows about Loran and Sochie's desire (she was there when they kissed after all; even if she pointedly looked away) and is enforcing a distance between them for no real reason, just so Loran can live with her; which just makes her seem like an awful person for no reason.

I think it kind of shits on Sochie's character too though, honestly. Sochie starts the show as having her ritual to become an adult interrupted, so she never becomes an adult. She then retreats into mourning, refusing to even get out of bed until Miashei waves the possibility of revenge and spends the first half of the show being kind of racist towards even civilian Moonrace people who themselves disapprove of what's happening, while chasing the chance for revenge. She finally changes after Gavane dies, spending the rest of the show trying to end the fighting so nothing like a nuke will ever happen again. Her longing for Loran is presented as a childhood infatuation and even the ways she tries to make him pay attention to her are quite childish (forcing him to be around her by invoking the fact he's technically her family servant and going out with Gavane to make Loran jealous), her relationship with Gavane is her first foray into an actual relationship (even if the age gap is a bit weird), which she only realizes at the last moment before he dies and spends the rest of the show trying to make up for.

The finale is her throwing away the symbol of Loran's childhood (his toy fish), and in doing so throwing away her own childhood after spending half a show trying to make peace with Gavane's death, and it's in that moment that she metaphorically becomes an adult rather than just because a ritual arbitrarily declared her one. Her then passively waiting for Loran to be ready for her because he views something else as not only more important but so important she literally cannot even be part of his life until it's done and/or going back to him at all really kind of ruins that for me, honestly.

tsob fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 5, 2022

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I fundamentally agree with this post and do think the sochie ship does rather feel weird in light of how the dynamic plays out

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

There's a thing that shows up sometimes in Japanese media, I don't know if it's exclusively Japanese but I've only seen it in Japanese stuff, the idea of giving characters privacy from the audience. It pops up in anime from time to time, where a kiss will be implied off screen, the Takashi Miike movie First Love does it at the end when it jumps forward in time to a static long distance shot of an apartment and you can just make out the guy and the girl leaving together. You're given just enough to know that they made it out and are doing OK and nothing more. I always thought the ending of Turn A was like that. They're together, they feel very strongly about each other, but the details or exact shape of their relationship aren't your business.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The bigger thing with Turn A's ending is that a lot of people don't recognize Dianna and Loran as a couple at all, so whether they stayed together doesn't even factor into a lot of people's interpretation of the ending. It's a rather common view, if not the prevailing view of them that Loran is a chaste, knight protector and looks up to Dianna who sees him solely as a servant with nothing further desired or given on either end. Some people do think that perhaps Loran has romantic feelings for Dianna, but it's unrequited in their view and Loran puts duty ahead of personal feeling, dedicating himself to helping his Queen regardless of his feelings according to them.

When people talk about the best romances in Gundam, you normally get people nominating Kamille and Fa, Domon and Rain, Garrod and Tifa, maybe even Heero and Relena or more secondary characters like Bright and Mirai. I don't think I've ever seen another person talk positively about Dianna and Loran as a couple in Gundam however, even though personally I would think it's one of the better depictions of a romance between equals within the franchise. It's never the focus, but I think you can see it building throughout the show. A lot is made of how Loran always stands up for Dianna throughout the show for instance, especially when suggesting that Loran views Dianna reverentially in a role as knight with no romance, but those arguments never acknowledge that the action is reciprocated and Dianna constantly stands up for Loran throughout the show.

She draws a shotgun on Corin Nander when he's about to attack a falling Turn A using his Eagail shortly after meeting Loran for instance, and nearer the end of the show she is the one defending why Loran is happy and smiling after the Turn A is stolen, when Sochie starts getting suspicious of that activity and there's lots of examples in between. Dianna is the one who issues the show's prerequisite slap as another example, slapping Sochie when Sochie tries to force Loran to spend time with her because he's just a servant in Sochie's words. She also acknowledges that Loran "is chasing her skirt" to spend time with her and is the one to nominate Loran as captain of the Gallop ship that ends up ferrying the Turn A and Sochie's Kapool around for a while because she has faith in his ability as more examples of her view on Loran.

Dianna is very protective of Loran throughout the show, always speaks positively about him, shows a deeper understanding of him and his motives than anyone else etc. The two of them also share a similar motive throughout the show, wanting to end the fighting so people can live in peace on Earth because they love doing so so much after spending time there too. The only other people to share that motive for close to as long are Kihel and Harry, who are (a) a couple themselves by show's end, and (b) an analogue of the same relationship Dianna and Loran have.

In fact, while Dianna and Kihel are often noted as being essentially the same people, Harry and Loran are often presented in much the same light and Harry is even noted in show to have the same kind of knightly relationship to Dianna and Kihel as people push Loran as having. I don't know that I've ever seen someone say that they don't think Harry and Kihel are a couple though, even though again, they're basically a copy of Dianna and Loran and the same people will swear blind that Dianna and Loran are not in any kind of relationship.

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 6, 2022

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Well that's neat

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Watched the first episode of The Origin again this morning after the last G-Witch cuz I felt like it. That opening battle and the music is so loving good at emphasizing "The entire Earth Sphere is on fire." and how absolutely terrifying Mobile Suits are against conventional battle tactics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8PuKqUNTd0

There really isn't another Gundam show that has matched the scale of the One Year War. Granted Universal Century's OYW era is the most popular and actually gets a fair share of spinoffs unlike many of the AUs.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 6, 2022

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It's really hard to match or surpass "the entirety of humanity is engaged in an apocalyptic war against itself", really.

The only show that even attempted a conflict scale as large as the OYW was SEED, and that was mostly because SEED was effectively a reimagining of the OYW.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Most of the other shows that do have apocalyptic wars in them treat them as the background. Calamity War, the Dark History, the 7th Space War. UC and SEED are really the ones that focus on the actual world ending event and not just the scars left by the war.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I'm starting to dread hearing happy birthday in the new show. :ohdear:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Even Wing is getting kinda hot by the time the White Fang arc starts, but even the Eve War feels small compared to what it was supposed to represent in show.

And 0079's sequels didn't do a great job of making their conflicts feel grand either. Zeta gets a bit of a pass as it was largely a civil conflict between two arms of the Federation, with the majority of the Federation a neutral party. But ZZ less so, since Axis came with the explicit intent to conquer.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, it's pretty hard to live up to what was essentially World War 3 on a scale 100 times as big

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
ZZ struggles from presenting its big war because it is so focused on Judau and the Gundam team to the detriment of any wider context. 0079 follows the White Base, sure, but it was always "the White Base's story during the war" rather than "the all encompassing encyclopdedia of the One Year War". 0079 and Zeta do a better job with scope because we get asides to other theaters, other players, and the wider world even as we're mainly focusing on one ship's vital role in shaping events.

ZZ feels like the war doesn't really exist outside of what the main cast experiences.

And I'm fine with the subsequent wars in UC not being gigantic. They're more like the cold war conflicts or the vicious wars during the decolonization of Africa. You don't need to stake the fate of the species on your war to have a brutal ordeal worth examining.