Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

All the Twitter employees should quit and create a new company called Twatter. And when you create a message it’s called a twa- hmmm, maybe not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
A feminist twist : Clitter, buut half the population won't be able to find it, (by design.)

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/MaxKennerly/status/1588378198168915968?t=iePYrleuWXd0KetQhiOAoA&s=19

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1588398244488368128

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Wow the pressures of running four companies must be really getting to him. Rest up Elon the world needs you!

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Firing four thousand people today. Better fire off a jaden smith rear end tweet

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

thin blue whine posted:

My honest-to-god gut feeling is this isn't so much about destroying Twitter but just disrupting the flow of information just enough in an attempt to help get right wingers in control of the government. I don't even think this is a conspiratorial thing to think because we've had a few members of Congress threaten people and corporations to help ensure the sale and then when an advertiser threatened to pull funding for reasons of self-interest. He clearly will either benefit with them in power or thinks he will, or has been straight up told he will. The banks are on the hook here and clearly they don't give a poo poo how dumb Elon is, which is telling.
I've thought this too actually. Not really looked into it and I'm not sure even sure it will have an effect either way, and it's probably too late to matter this cycle. But it's a feeling too. When I smell Peter Thiel, I get suspicious:

quote:

Before and during Mr. Musk’s breakneck takeover of Twitter, a close-knit group of libertarian-leaning activists and businessmen have been encouraging him to get involved. This group includes the so-called PayPal mafia—former executives at the online payments company who include Mr. Musk, the investor Peter Thiel and entrepreneur David Sacks—as well as ancillary figures like the venture capitalist Steve Jurvetson, an early Tesla investor who once served on the auto maker’s board; and Mr. Musk’s brother, Kimbal, a Tesla board member, according to people familiar with the matter.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-shadow-crew-who-encouraged-elon-musks-twitter-takeover-tesla-jack-dorsey-11651260119

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-11-04/twitter-sued-for-mass-layoffs-by-musk-without-enough-notice

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/josheidelson/status/1588405731664924672

lawsuit time baby

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

:sickos:

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Twitter isn't going to fail because the users abandon it, it's going to fail because leon gets rid of critical infrastructure, untested poo poo crashes the live servers and the last 2 devs who can fix it just flip the bird and walk out when the boss starts screaming at them.

It'll be like the day Facebook went down and the engineers couldn't access the room with the actual servers in them because the badge system ran on Facebook. Like that times 1000.

Maybe as soon as Monday!

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Gonna be a great atmosphere at Twitter for the next 60 days while everyone just tells him to get hosed since they'll probably get laid off anyway. Can't wait for the shitcanned list to get leaked. Maybe the emails will all go out today anyway and everyone will know but just have 60 days notice to gently caress around.

This is what peak management looks like.

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.
Musk walks into Twitter HQ with a big bag of stale chips.

"I'm announcing massive Lays off".

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I've thought this too actually. Not really looked into it and I'm not sure even sure it will have an effect either way, and it's probably too late to matter this cycle. But it's a feeling too. When I smell Peter Thiel, I get suspicious:

Yeah I mean it could all really just be to Elon getting high or super mad at being owned online about how truly pathetic he is, and I truly hope that's the case because I want more of this:

LOL

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

thin blue whine posted:

Yeah I mean it could all really just be to Elon getting high or super mad at being owned online about how truly pathetic he is, and I truly hope that's the case because I want more of this:

LOL
But yeah it's like... hrmm there's Elon Musk and Peter Thiel lurking in the background at Dracula's castle and then there's the Saudis, and I wonder what demands they can make on brokeass Musk. MBS has also embraced the idea that if you throw enough oil money at a sexy, expensive consultant generated powerpoint it will become a success. Davos in the Sand, Saudi tourism, NEOM, LIV Golf and now Twitter prove that common sense and not chopping people up might be better guidelines.

My spidey sense is tingling.

https://twitter.com/abuhilalah/status/1053174788410224640

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I’d totally buy Thiel encouraging Elon to buy Twitter under the assumption that would translate into having influence over Twitter through Elon, I don’t think Elon going on a four day coke binge and speedrunning destroying Twitter was the plan imo.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

lol I just remembered he fired the head of legal on Tuesday

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Can't get sued if there's no one at the other end to receive the summons.

It's another brilliant move by noted brain-genius Elon Musk.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Anyone thinking this isn't hurting musk isn't actually seeing how things have changed. Before.muak had the news and tech sites all eating his bullshit hard. Now? Mocking him has become a pass time, he's pissed off a ton of people and the court cases have really shown that he's a buffoon that actively goes on drug binges and has no idea what he's doing.

The banks absolutely aren't going to bail him out either, musk literally is costing them billions and did cost them billions because of his antics, they are unable to sell any of the Twitter debt because he hosed around and the markets collapsed. They already have said that they do not expect the market for the Twitter bonds to get better and don't expect to be able to sell them. On top of that it's looking highly likely that Twitter will not ever be able to pay it's debt payments which makes them even more skittish. The people musk needs ie the investment banks, are now very much more likely to tell musk that he needs to put cash or collateral up front with strict terms before they will help him with any deal, because they view it likely that he or.his companies are high risk.

Oh and the fact that Twitter now has a class action lawsuit, a possible 3 billion dollar debt payment that can be triggered to come due, and likely will go out because he cuts critical staff or infrastructure makes Elon look more and more.like the actual idiot he is. That 3 billion debt payments a key one, because it's unsecured debt, but it's also something the banks absolutely will refuse to refinance unless musk ponies up cold hard assets because they won't be able to offload it. And musk declaring bankruptcy for Twitter in less then a month is something that would be the ultimate crescendo.

All this before you even get to the fact advertisers have had enough and are leaving in droves, on top of anyone staying demanding cheaper rates.

Musk is hosed lol, this is hell for him. He can't just buy his way out of the gently caress up he made or tweet his way out. Everything is front and center and it absolutely can crater his Tesla stock because he's so much of a dumbass that he intertwined it with everything. The real question is if things unravel does it also take out SpaceX to.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

He just has to keep posting. Just post through it!

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Anyone thinking this isn't hurting musk isn't actually seeing how things have changed. Before.muak had the news and tech sites all eating his bullshit hard. Now? Mocking him has become a pass time, he's pissed off a ton of people
he's definitely pissed off a ton of people, but...

i suspect only the Extremely Online actually knows and cares about all this.

my relatively lefty parents still love musk, despite contraversy after contraversy, because mainstream channels just don't disseminate this kinda information and never paint him in a bad light.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

beuges posted:

meanwhile, south africa's largest online news site weighs in...

Also seems like layoffs already kicked off

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I have never heard Elon's voice but when I read the title of this thread I hear it in Christoph Waltz's voice

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I have never heard Elon's voice but when I read the title of this thread I hear it in Christoph Waltz's voice

He sounds like a dipshit op

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well so does Christoph waltz a little, sorry Christoph I love you dude but it's true

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

bobjr posted:

Elon's going to offer his fans the chance to pay to work for him at Twitter HQ.

When you consider how many destitute idiots give away what little they have to religious and political grifters it's actually pretty believable

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
Step #1 - Sack half of staff and take a sledgehammer to company morale
Step #2 - Make demoralized staff churn out a whole half of half-assed new features that will make the website immediately worse
Step #3 - PROFIT!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/LisaBloom/status/1588359669843513344
https://twitter.com/LisaBloom/status/1588361278078083072
https://twitter.com/LisaBloom/status/1588365196031979521

lol. lmao

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
"i'll just keep paying them for 60 days"

Truly "blonde in a slasher movie" levels of stupidity

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Techbros! Get your child a leg up in the employment market with an internship at Twitter! For just $5000 a month your offspring will work with our teams to learn the ropes and get hands-on with our projects!

For a top-up fee of just an additional $3000/month, interns of more than 3 months can gain valuable personnel management skills by helping to lead those just starting their internship adventure!

At only $5000/month more, expect stiff competition for our 6 month+ elite training course where your progeny can take control of a complete work stream and gain project management experience they just can't find anywhere else! This offer is exclusively available to platinum tick twitter account holders.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

goatface posted:

Techbros! Get your child a leg up in the employment market with an internship at Twitter! For just $5000 a month your offspring will work with our teams to learn the ropes and get hands-on with our projects!

For a top-up fee of just an additional $3000/month, interns of more than 3 months can gain valuable personnel management skills by helping to lead those just starting their internship adventure!

At only $5000/month more, expect stiff competition for our 6 month+ elite training course where your progeny can take control of a complete work stream and gain project management experience they just can't find anywhere else! This offer is exclusively available to platinum tick twitter account holders.

unironically, this would be more useful than an MBA

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I probably should have added another 0 onto those numbers.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah I'm surprised Corporations haven't just started alternatives to school where you can enroll teens into corporate culture to enslave them earlier

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
they havent ? like sponored code jams and charter school seem like those.

regressives have already start to push down from Bible Us , down into lower edu. levels.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Zzulu posted:

Yeah I'm surprised Corporations haven't just started alternatives to school where you can enroll teens into corporate culture to enslave them earlier

Paid for internships have been a thing for a long while, especially fashion media.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/vergecars/status/1588222810228371456?s=46&t=TcT1FtgBVdYT3msNYwqr_Q

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It accomplished its goals, diverting funds from rail and public transit

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Zzulu posted:

Didn’t they start running programs where they’d pay for college in exchange for a portion of your income?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Zugzwang posted:

How do his other companies exist?

He chose the top 2 world industries where entrenched companies did little or zero innovation. And then SpaceX and Tesla had bootstrapped enough to be top candidates for the government saying "gently caress, we need a new rocket" and "gently caress, we need to incentivize non-polluting cars".

Note that those government subsidies are a good thing. SpaceX is cheaper than LockMart, electric cars are better than gas. There is nothing wrong or bad about them. (And the Tesla subsidies don't really come from the government, they come from other car makers who don't sell enough electric cars.)

At one time I thought that was a sign that he was real smart, that he intentionally picked the 2 most hide-bound industries to enter. But everything he's done since then has been... not that.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It accomplished its goals, diverting funds from rail and public transit

Hyperloop never got anything from the gov't or won any contracts, which is why it's dead now.

(It raised a lot of money from venture capitalists, but it's not like that money was gonna be invested in public transit.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I am almost certain you can lay people off with pay in lieu of notice, they'll just pay them for 60 days. It's common practice in downsizing. You can't have a disgruntled employee showing up for 2 more months, let alone 4,000 of them, it would be chaos.

That said, Elon is certainly stupid and evil enough to try to not pay them for 60 days. Would not be surprised at all.