Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, there's a coherent realist argument to be made here which hinges on two judgement calls: is the war likely to turn in Ukraine's favour if negotiations are refused and the fighting is allowed to play out and if so, would that improved bargaining position be worth the additional death and destruction incurred along the way. If you judge that the answers to those two questions are "yes" and "yes", then continuing the war without exploring possibilities of ceasefires, de-escalation etc is a grim prospect but a defensible stance. (In my personal opinion, the answers to the questions are: "more likely not" and "no", which is why I'd prefer to see an immediate ceasefire followed by negotiations.)

I think Corbyn has always taken a more morally rigid stance that war is always bad, peace is always preferable and that the most important thing is to get people talking, no matter what the current circumstances.

There's a third judgement call here, which is, "is a ceasefire possible to begin with?" And the answer seems to be "no", because Putin has a history of agreeing to mutual cessation of hostilities then his guys going around being very hostile anyway, so there's no reason not to expect a 'ceasefire while negotiations are ongoing' to look more like 'the Ukrainians stop shooting while the Russians take ten minutes to rearm then immediately resume'.

E: Cat tax

Dabir fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Nov 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

bessantj posted:

Get a pair of wool fishing socks from ebay. They will keep your feet toasty all winter long.

Isn't it traditional for your moms and grandmothers to knit those for their children / grandchildren in the UK?

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Yes, also we live in hobbit holes and eat crumpets for every meal

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

His Divine Shadow posted:

Isn't it traditional for your moms and grandmothers to knit those for their children / grandchildren in the UK?

I'm grandma age and I can't think of a single one of my similarly aged friends who knits let alone younger ones!
Even my 85 year old mother doesn't knit.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Yes, also we live in hobbit holes and eat crumpets for every meal

That's literally aspirational living for a lot of Britain heading into this winter

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

the traditional grandma-based model has been replaced by professional grandmas-for-rent

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Thanks for that, although welp, cold feet for me all winter then!
To expand on that post, yeah, it makes a huge difference, There was a case in Denmark of someone's upstairs neighbour dying, the landlord turning down the heat so it was just above freezing, resulting in the dude having his heating bill increase by 185%. He was basically paying to heat his upstairs neighbours apartment.

Good news is that it shouldn't be quite as bad for you since it's your downstairs neighbors moving out and you're already paying for the loss through the roof, bad news is that it might still be pretty expensive. Actually, if it's lovely enough, perhaps your downstairs neighbors have been heating your apartment much more directly through the movement of warm air, in which case you might get a real shock.

namesake posted:

Why is it 1938 and not 1914 though? Spiralling works both ways.
Because there isn't a web of alliances? And no one actually wants to go to war on the Western side, even if they don't mind Ukraine being at war with Russia.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Sucks for you guys. I got a drawer of woolen socks for winter time from my mom. My kids too get them too, as well as sweaters.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

namesake posted:

Why is it 1938 and not 1914 though? Spiralling works both ways.
It doesn't have to be either, only the most NAFO-brain turbolib (and Polish headbangers) actually wants Western boots on the ground in Ukraine.

This is more like sending MiGs to Angola to annoy their racist neighbours, only this time around Russia has decided to play as the racist neighbours instead of the MiGs.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Re: power blackouts - it's worth signing up for the Priority Services Register
https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/get-help-your-supplier-priority-services-register

if you are old, sick, have young children or some other reason where power cuts would affect you more than normal. I don't really know if this does anything but at least your power supplies will be aware of your situation.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Danger - Octopus! posted:

How much does the heat (or lack of) in flats in a block affect the other flats?

I'm on the top floor of a three floor block, with three flats on each floor (your standard slightly crumbling draughty Edinburgh tenement, for those familiar). The flat directly below mine is looking like it'll be vacant and unheated all winter, and at least one of the ground floor flats is going to be the same. Does this actually make it any colder for other flats in the building or is it neglible really? They were all occupied a year ago, so just trying to plan for whether it'll feel colder than last winter.

I went without heating for 3 months in the winter in my ground floor flat (thnx housing association!), it has no sort of insulation as it's all just a solid brick wall to the outside by the looks of it. The flats above me all have some sort of outer (safe) cladding on them. Was cold but tolerable with enough blankets and layers, thermostat said it was about 13c inside. Only real issue was trying to dry clothes in time for work the next day.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Higher up you go the warmer you are at the expense of lower down flats.
Friend lives on 4th floor of a small block and never has to put her heating on.
When I lived in a 1st floor flat, below me was an unheated white goods store and above me a flat where the occupants would go to Vietnam for 2 months Dec to Feb so I was heating their empty flat too. Tellingly, I moved out late November 2019 the same day they went abroad and no new person moved in to 'my' flat so it was also unheated all winter. When upstairs came back in Feb their flat was riddled with black mould.
I pick ground floor flats (or low as possible) because I can't face dealing with leaky roof issues!

Heh, my roof certainly does leak but it's never been fixed properly because for serious roof repairs they'd need to involve the other owners of flats in the building so my landlord has obviously never done that. I'm pretty sure the reason I've been able to stay here with only moderate rather than ridiculous rent increases for years is because the structure of the building is getting pretty obviously bad to the point where a new tenant might actually object.

Also thanks for the advice all, been buying up thicker socks etc anyhow. Really regretting the nice tempered glass desk I've got that I use for WFH cause it's cold as hell resting your feet against it :v:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Sucks for you guys. I got a drawer of woolen socks for winter time from my mom. My kids too get them too, as well as sweaters.

Thought your kids were wearing your wooly socks as tiny jumpers for a second there, seemed very Dickensian.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

the traditional grandma-based model has been replaced by professional grandmas-for-rent

A Wayne Rooney monopsony market

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm grandma age and I can't think of a single one of my similarly aged friends who knits let alone younger ones!
Even my 85 year old mother doesn't knit.

I am very slightly younger and have knitted socks, but stopped because it is absolutely not worth it. Maybe it would be different if I could wear wool, but with cotton/bamboo/etc yarn, you can buy much cheaper, warmer, and more durable socks.

The only things I knit now are cotton dishcloths. They are extremely good dishcloths, but I only do it to have something to do with my hands while watching videos.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Oh dear me posted:

They are extremely good dishcloths, but I only do it to have something to do with my hands while watching videos.

I've never had that problem

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Pistol_Pete posted:

For over 40 years he's consistently held the position that war is bad, and peace is better, and you get peace by persuading the people who are fighting to talk to each other instead and he's spent much of that time being called a horrible traitor for maintaining it. It's very unlikely indeed that he's going to make an exception at this point and say: "Actually, THIS war is cool and good and I think we should have more of it."

My thoughts on Corbyn can be summed up by this quote: "so heavenly minded as to be of no earthly use". :shrug:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Oh dear me posted:

I am very slightly younger and have knitted socks, but stopped because it is absolutely not worth it. Maybe it would be different if I could wear wool, but with cotton/bamboo/etc yarn, you can buy much cheaper, warmer, and more durable socks.

The only things I knit now are cotton dishcloths. They are extremely good dishcloths, but I only do it to have something to do with my hands while watching videos.
You can wear multiple layers of socks.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Oh dear me posted:

OMG you've brought back a long-buried memory from junior school where all the girls had to learn to knit string dishcloths! Some sort of 'double stitch' - a very loose knit.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Just Another Lurker posted:

My thoughts on Corbyn can be summed up by this quote: "so heavenly minded as to be of no earthly use". :shrug:

I've heard it as "progress is defined by men with their heads in the clouds but accomplished by men with their feet on the ground". It takes a dreamer to imagine a better world and a realist to build it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Jedit posted:

I've heard it as "progress is defined by men with their heads in the clouds but accomplished by men with their feet on the ground". It takes a dreamer to imagine a better world and a realist to build it.
This is why tall people are the ideal leaders, being able to do both.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

A Buttery Pastry posted:

We got rishi instead :laugh:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah I always put the wool socks over my regular thin socks... Layering is key to everything, even socks.

Also when I try out winter shoes, I try them with the wool socks on to get the right fit.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Richard Burgon will be the saviour of the Labour movement

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jedit posted:

Corbyn's approach, at least at the start, seemed very much to be to delegate properly and not try to shoulder the entire shadow cabinet's jobs himself. I think, if he was in power and had the collective knowledge and experience of the civil service at his fingertips plus the advice of a well-led Foreign Office, he'd have made the right decision about Ukraine. The naive response we're seeing from him now is coming from a backbencher who's been cut off from even his own party.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Dabir posted:

Corbyn's approach, at least at the start, seemed very much to be to delegate properly and not try to shoulder the entire shadow cabinet's jobs himself.

He shouldn't have had such a poo poo cabinet at the start then lol.

Oh you added more - I doubt that. He might be trying more high level diplomacy but wouldn't be saying to big up the arms trade and increase risk of nuclear exchange. Quite rightly he's seen the UK do that time after time and it not work out so he's not going to buckle because some MI6 agents are saying how bad the Russians are.

namesake fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Nov 4, 2022

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Think we all know that, but if you mean I should knit woollen oversocks, unfortunately wool irritates my hands just as much as the rest of me.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I believe part of the Brexit agreement is that neither side can mess around with the electricity interconnectors for any reason. Gonna be interesting politics if both France and the UK face blackouts.

https://twitter.com/JavierBlas/status/1588507269507198976?s=20&t=RNApHeIQ9XgJKu8HczrPvw

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Dabir posted:

Corbyn's approach, at least at the start, seemed very much to be to delegate properly and not try to shoulder the entire shadow cabinet's jobs himself. I think, if he was in power and had the collective knowledge and experience of the civil service at his fingertips plus the advice of a well-led Foreign Office, he'd have made the right decision about Ukraine. The naive response we're seeing from him now is coming from a backbencher who's been cut off from even his own party.

No, he absolutely wouldn't. Like, that's absolutely fundamental to the man.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

With Brexit we are in a post tradition society.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Barry Foster posted:

He was constantly bullied into loving things up when he ran Labour though.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Barry Foster posted:

I think he'd have been a 7 out of 10 on going to war.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

He was constantly bullied into loving things up when he ran Labour though.

True, but none of those things were "being pro-war", which as far as I've ever seen is an Actual Red Line for him. He was self-admittedly 7/10 on the EU, so it's not surprising they eventually managed to jimmy him into the position of agreeing to a second referendum.

He'd no more support war in Ukraine than he'd admit to being willing to press the Big Red Button.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

WhatEvil posted:

I know this isn't UKPol but probably interesting to UKMTers anyway:

The Canada Union of Public Employees (CUPE - one of many unions representing public service workers including teachers, school support staff, also healthcare workers, library workers, etc.) are striking for a pay increase for educational workers - they've had a pay freeze for years and inflation is running rampant in Canada.

The Ontario gov, run by Conservative and all-around total piece of poo poo Doug Ford, offered them a 2% rise for workers making <$40k (~£26k) and 1.25% for everybody making more than that. They've since relented a bit and said 2.5% for <$43k and 1.5% for the rest - still pathetic given that inflation has been at 7% year on year, and teacher pay has been frozen for years. Worth noting also that CUPE is actually one of the smaller unions with only like 60k total workers.

Anyway it's all come to a head - CUPE were demanding 11% and the gov has said no, they since came down to I think 8% and the provincial gov have still said no, and importantly they are spouting a load of poo poo about how it's absolutely critical that kids are back at school on Monday and are using something called the notwithstanding clause to override the Charter of Rights and Freedoms to make the strikes illegal, and be able to fine striking workers up to $4000/day. I think they can also fine the union organisation $500k/day.

This is what the union has to say:

https://twitter.com/Alan_S_Hale/status/1588257158755454976?s=20&t=qCKfkdV_8YvXC_PN6T5MXA

So basically, it's all kicking off. Some poo poo is gonna go down and I think it's gonna (ultimately) be great. Trudeau has also slammed Ford's use of the notwithstanding clause.

I just want to point out as someone active in a (different) union in Toronto this is absolutely loving massive. The Ford government's treatment of education workers is entirely typical of many governments decades-long successful attempts to stymie public sector pay, and moreso the abuse of the Notwithstanding Clause to remove the right to reject an unfair deal just shows how callous and uncaring these wankshafts are. When you consider that anything below inflation is a paycut, and that pay increases have not matched inflation since (insert decade here), it's not wonder you see people turning to trade unions and people like Mick Lynch again.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

If Brexit was precedent, we probably would have ended up with a compromise policy where we supplied arms to Ukraine and training to Russia,, subject to there being negotiations about the terms of a vote over Russia adding a ‘The’ in front of their name.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/garethicke/status/1588258973110738945

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Lmao

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Yickes!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i think he doesn't get his second attack per round until level 5, although he's now out of the range at which he could be reasonably downed from full health by a single lucky crit

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
EU Taking Back Control and Protecting Its Borders.

Problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

They're talking about knitting on radio right now. Apparently they teach knitting as part of the school curriculum in Finland. I can't say I remember that from my time in school but it was far back enough it was probably aimed at girls only.

My boys are learning to sew things atm, though I remember doing that too.