Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Here's a power supply test to confirm that, indeed, the Dreck draws at up to 15 V and nothing beyond that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF3lsbO9oQk

PageMaster posted:

Received my lenses and can confirm the problem was, in fact, that I have lovely eyes. Surprised there weren't any catches for $30 and 10 days shipping for the rx inserts from Ali Express, though I definitely wouldn't buy medical lenses or ones I had to wear or drive or live my life, nor would I use my real credit card number instead of Paypal, but it definitely works.

That being said, I totally understand how hard it is to justify this much money on what is essentially turning into my "wear while I play deckin bed" glasses, especially when we all have so many screens all over the house anyways. Also doesn't work for my switch without another adapter and after a certain point the extras just add up to too much.

Can you link the storefront you purchased lenses from?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I was going to use my SN30 pro with this but for the life of me I can't find it.

What controllers would you recommend?

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, the GuliKit KingKing 2 Pro is another good 3rd party controller in general (and has hall effect sticks,) but I haven't tried it with the Dreck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

edit watts are not volts im dumb nm

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

caldrax posted:

Is it weird that I get a little kick out of messing around in desktop mode with the trackpads and just the built in on screen keyboard? It's slower than hooking up an external keyboard/mouse but it feels kind of meditative to slowly and deliberately move files and games around and get things working. I do it with twitch on in the background some nights when I don't feel like actually *playing* something. Too many vent fumes, maybe.

Same. I configured my desktop mode control scheme to my liking and after setting up all the keyboard shortcuts I can use the desktop effortlessly.

I set up a second action set as pure gamepad that you can switch to by holding select so I can try out games.

It's neato.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

What does 'hall effect' mean?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JluAuIJ-tSY&t=146s

should be timestamped

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Basically instead of mechanical sensors that rub against each other and can wear over time, the input (sticks and triggers mostly here) use magnetic sensors with no physical connection to wear. Hence the easy marketing line of no stick drift. Potential QC issues notwithstanding which I’ve seen a few people complain about with Guilkit but it doesn’t seem particularly widespread.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Has anyone had any good/bad experiences of the RMA process? Mine was picked up on Monday and the order status still says "Awaiting receipt by valve". Given that my first deck went missing thanks to Evri, I really don't want to have been duped by a guy in a brown shirt and a machine that goes "beep".

If you've had a unit repaired/replaced, how long did it take for them to receive it/get a new (or fixed) one back to you?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

:siren: In spirit of just post I went ahead and created an open Goon Deck Wiki

There's a ton of useful info and helpful people ITT so having the wiki space available would be nice. No ads or other nonsense, it's a clean wikipedia everyone's used to. I registered a domain for it too but I'll have to wait a bit before it processes.

:justpost:

Vic fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Nov 5, 2022

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Flint_Paper posted:

Has anyone had any good/bad experiences of the RMA process? Mine was picked up on Monday and the order status still says "Awaiting receipt by valve". Given that my first deck went missing thanks to Evri, I really don't want to have been duped by a guy in a brown shirt and a machine that goes "beep".

If you've had a unit repaired/replaced, how long did it take for them to receive it/get a new (or fixed) one back to you?

I’m in the same boat as you here in the US at the moment. Shipped it back Monday for my broken usb-c port, delivered yesterday according to the UPS tracking but still showing up as waiting for return in Steam. Probably needs a couple days to process through I’d assume. Seemed like 2 week turnaround was more or less normal in the US when I was looking in to it, at least.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Vic posted:

There's a ton of useful info and helpful people ITT so having the wiki space available would be nice. No ads or other nonsense, it's a clean wikipedia everyone's used to. I registered a domain for it too but I'll have to wait a bit before it processes.

Neat. I added setup guides for OpenVPN, both Minecraft editions, and the native ports for Zelda OoT and Jack & Daxter. I'm out of practice with wiki formatting.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I want to love the new ps5 controller because
Adaptive triggers are loving awesome but it doesn't work wirelessly only when plugged in and it barely plays nice with steam.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Kwolok posted:

Adaptive triggers are loving awesome but it doesn't work wirelessly only when plugged in and it barely plays nice with steam.

It's something to do with steam's detection of them I think. At least, in order to get it working with Metro: Exodus EE I had to disable steam input on the controller. For whatever reason it overrides/erases/otherwise screws up the adaptive triggers and haptics. I don't know why it has to be wired, though.

Edit: For those curious, here's a list of games that support the adaptive triggers and haptic feedback

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
So, who else is excited to find out what the vent smells like when the Deck generates a new large world for Dwarf Fortress? :dance:

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Cowman posted:

It's something to do with steam's detection of them I think. At least, in order to get it working with Metro: Exodus EE I had to disable steam input on the controller. For whatever reason it overrides/erases/otherwise screws up the adaptive triggers and haptics. I don't know why it has to be wired, though.

Edit: For those curious, here's a list of games that support the adaptive triggers and haptic feedback

Yeah there are some really cool games that would benefit from adaptive triggers but loving playing wired.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

So I have Emudeck installed and when I run PCSX2, if I try to fast forward a game it doesn't change the game speed. I've tinkered around with some of the emulator options but does anyone know what I gotta adjust to enable it? Asking here in case there's something on the deck itself I'd have to tinker with.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Kwolok posted:

I paired a PS5 controller just by setting the controller in pairing mode, and everything has worked seamlessly? Unless you’re only talking about the adaptive trigger features.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Suburban Dad posted:

Curious to know your thoughts on Inscryption once you get a little farther. I think you need to do some more junk away from the table first is my guess. I too played it on deck for a little bit and it plays great.

The card game was starting to grow stale, but it was my fault for trying to do weird stuff instead of continue winning. I'm sure I'll figure out what to do with Ring Worm eventually.

But I just unlocked New Game and the drastic aesthetic shift has got me re-engaged. Sadly I've gotta put it down for a bit.

Come to think of it I didn't make use of the slime guy in the bottle before I left. Already a good game, though the guy has a reputation for making great, novel experiences.

And I can see the makings of that in the way.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Hammer Bro. posted:

The card game was starting to grow stale, but it was my fault for trying to do weird stuff instead of continue winning. I'm sure I'll figure out what to do with Ring Worm eventually.

But I just unlocked New Game and the drastic aesthetic shift has got me re-engaged. Sadly I've gotta put it down for a bit.

Come to think of it I didn't make use of the slime guy in the bottle before I left. Already a good game, though the guy has a reputation for making great, novel experiences.

And I can see the makings of that in the way.

I haven't actually done it myself but supposedly with Ring Worm (spoilers for what to do with it) If you feed it to the campfire people they die so you can power up cards infinitely

Inscryption is a really clever game.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Atomizer posted:

Can you link the storefront you purchased lenses from?

Sure, I used this one

It's $39 now, but they give away $3-$5 coupons like candy and there wasn't any tax/shipping separate (I think that includes any customs fees they would need to pay). Once you order, they'll send you a message, or you send them a message, with your RX. Took 2 days to make then ship, and 10 days for shipping to California for me. Note that this is just the lenses (and a tiny screwdriver), so you'll need the adapter and screws that came with the Airs.

To add to this, it looks like a new lens manufacturer has entered the fray in the UK, called Lensology that just popped up recently. To order from them you just e-mail them with your info and address and rx, then they e-mail you an invoice to pay. Won't post the entire process here, but apparently quick timelines as well (maybe 5 days from order to reception in the US) and some people liked their lenses fit and size better (and they also send an insert with lens already attached)but I don't have any personal experience to speak from, nor any issues with the Ali Express ones. The Lensology ones cost $150 so I couldn't justify checking them out after having already received mine.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

a foolish pianist posted:

I paired a PS5 controller just by setting the controller in pairing mode, and everything has worked seamlessly? Unless you’re only talking about the adaptive trigger features.

Yeah it works fine as a normal rear end controller but I have a ps5 controller specifically for the adaptive triggers and haptic feedback, both of which don't work wirelessly. If I just wanted a normal controller the xbox elite is still the best.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Kwolok posted:

Yeah it works fine as a normal rear end controller but I have a ps5 controller specifically for the adaptive triggers and haptic feedback, both of which don't work wirelessly. If I just wanted a normal controller the xbox elite is still the best.

As long as it's not the elite 2. What a travesty.

I want that DualSense Elite, but at its price all the bells and whistles better work at the same time plus good software to configure stuff.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Heran Bago posted:

As long as it's not the elite 2. What a travesty.

I want that DualSense Elite, but at its price all the bells and whistles better work at the same time plus good software to configure stuff.

I also want a DualSense Edge (the Deck's back buttons have spoiled me), but definitely not until they are actually out on shelves and I can be confident I'm not wasting my money.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

you're making me want to post a controller thread. controllers and their lovely protocols/firmware/whatev/not working is one of those arcane mysteries. who was that poster in this thread who knows technical things about controllers?

for opening regular windows EXEs, is there a native right click->do in desktop mode or do i need something? WINE?

i'm ready to recommend that keyboard i mentioned earlier, because it's multidevice and that is fantastic. i love it. there's three keys you press to tell you which paired device to connect to. we use the deck, laptop, and PC connected to the TV in this room, it's great. unfortunately i've already bought two separate wireless mice because i didn't know this feature was an option.
https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/keyboards/k380-multi-device.920-011135.html
their mouse from the same series doesn't have this feature, but here's the first mouse with that feature google yields: https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Triathalon-Multi-Device-Wireless-Mouse/dp/B01LF37K80
this moue would match the deck in visual style, unlike the keyboard which matches mac products.

Mescal fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 4, 2022

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Vic posted:

NOW THAT IS INITIATIVE. TEN POINTS

who does the thread want to nominate to write the beginner's guide?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's amazing Vic. Thanks so much.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I nominate you for writing the beginner's guide, Mescal.

Mescal posted:

i'm ready to recommend that keyboard i mentioned earlier, because it's multidevice and that is fantastic. i love it.

Might get one. I got this thing, which folded-up is a bit smaller that the Deck's screen. It really sucks! Don't get this kind of thing.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I use Synergy to share kb/m between my personal and work computers; I wonder if I could get it working on Deck Desktop too

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Looked it up and apparently this is in beta and may or may not work

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/v3mbe3/mouse_kb_share_through_synergy_possible/

but they're planning on supporting Deck for Synergy 3 coming out next year, presumably it'll be more reliable then :toot:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

FishMcCool posted:

So, who else is excited to find out what the vent smells like when the Deck generates a new large world for Dwarf Fortress? :dance:

I don’t think I want to hold thermite in my hands…

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010

Srice posted:

So I have Emudeck installed and when I run PCSX2, if I try to fast forward a game it doesn't change the game speed. I've tinkered around with some of the emulator options but does anyone know what I gotta adjust to enable it? Asking here in case there's something on the deck itself I'd have to tinker with.

Don't know about pcsx2 specifically but some emus fast forward by cranking the frame rate up, so if you have it capped in the deck options it won't do anything. Try setting frame rate to unlimited

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Heran Bago posted:

Might get one. I got this thing, which folded-up is a bit smaller that the Deck's screen. It really sucks! Don't get this kind of thing.

I bought one of these a while ago and while I don't use it often, it's pretty handy and definitely works with the MangoSteen Deck when I need a bit o' portable mouse and/or keyboard.

Honestly I should pair it with my phone for when people get a bit too texty.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Anyone running the Android version of Minecraft on the Deck? If so, how well does it work?

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Gay Retard posted:

I also want a DualSense Edge (the Deck's back buttons have spoiled me), but definitely not until they are actually out on shelves and I can be confident I'm not wasting my money.

If the DualSense edge doens't bring wireless support for haptics and adaptive triggers to pc I am going to riot.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Heran Bago posted:

I nominate you for writing the beginner's guide, Mescal.

oh dear no, i feel much more comfortable in a coordinator-facilitator role. making connections, seeing from the bird's eye! for example, i can see you've shown yourself to be diligent and detain-oriented, with a passion for explaining things. for your record of expertise, i nominate you to write the beginner's guide, which I will then link to in the OP.

see? great system. with our show of teamwork, you and vic and i (among others whose names go without saying) demonstrate good leadership that did and will serve as inspiration to all posters--and make this community continue to thrive and shine.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Anyone running the Android version of Minecraft on the Deck? If so, how well does it work?

MCPElauncher runs fine, but may still be a couple of updates behind the current android/bedrock versions, which may affect online play

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Flint_Paper posted:

I'm in the US; when I sent mine back, it arrived in a few days but didn't get registered as returned for roughly a week after that. Once they confirmed it was sent out the next day, got to my place a few days later. Overall a fine experience, though that was before they started repairing rather than just replacing Drecks.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Chubby Henparty posted:

MCPElauncher runs fine, but may still be a couple of updates behind the current android/bedrock versions, which may affect online play

So I've been decking around with the wiki

Tried copy/pasting this here and put it on a page. Works fine.
http://goondeckwiki.com/goondeckwiki/index.php/Minecraft:_Android

Heran Bago helpfully put a bunch of guides for running games as well:
http://goondeckwiki.com/goondeckwiki/index.php/Category:Games

The visual editor deals with copy pasted stuff pretty great so feel free to just put stuff there. I put a bunch of FAQ style questions under beginner's guide so feel free to paste stuff in there

http://goondeckwiki.com/goondeckwiki/index.php/Beginner%27s_Guide

Vic fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Nov 5, 2022

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

every time i update the OP i worry that i will accidentally select all, type something, hit tab and enter, and poof it's gone

anybody use a multidevice mouse? the one i linked earlier apparently uses a dumb multi hub thingy that's meant for a proprietary logitech system called "flow", idk if it uses dongles but it's not a good idea

Mescal fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 4, 2022

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Mescal posted:

every time i update the OP i worry that i will accidentally select all, type something, hit tab and enter, and poof it's gone

That sounds like a vague threat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mescal posted:

anybody use a multidevice mouse? the one i linked earlier apparently uses a dumb multi hub thingy that's meant for a proprietary logitech system called "flow", idk if it uses dongles but it's not a good idea

I use a MX Master 3S mouse and an MX Keys keyboard. When I'm using them on my Deck I simply push the button to switch to a different device and then connect them to my Deck. Then I push the button to switch back to my PC. It's perfect!

Sometimes, my Deck picks up on them without me needing to connect to them!