Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

I do love it, but I have to ask, are the wheel colors intended to be mismatched?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is a great bike, needs a white back wheel though

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I'm guessing "yes" and "you're wrong" (it's the right amount of orange).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's close enough to the color of the orange stripe on the body that i'm not entirely sure it isn't stock. i agree that it would look better with a white rear though.

still pretty rad

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
iirc the stock wheel color with that paint scheme was purple - white wheels and the white / orange combo both look better

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
Thank you all for your kind words :)

Jazzzzz posted:

Which year is that, '95? The paint is in amazing shape

Yes, 1995

epswing posted:

I do love it, but I have to ask, are the wheel colors intended to be mismatched?

Jazzzzz posted:

iirc the stock wheel color with that paint scheme was purple - white wheels and the white / orange combo both look better

Yes, stock is a pretty muted purple color. PO did the orange and white combo, and I like it.

Remy Marathe posted:

I'm guessing "yes" and "you're wrong" (it's the right amount of orange).
:hmmyes:

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Mine has mismatched wheels too.

A relative from a coworker occasionally shows up on an almost identical fzr, i'll pay attention and see if that one has mismatched wheels too.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Xakura posted:

Last week was the end of the season for me. Found a new bit of road that was really nice! (Not pictured)

I love you

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Incredible fzr, goddamn

captainclaw
Sep 16, 2020

Me and some guys I know went on an evening ride last night

Left - bmw f800s
Middle - zontes zt125-u (my learner bike)
Right -mt09

It was a good night for it, but the Scottish roads are starting to flood whenever it looks like it's going to rain so I think we're getting to "put it away" time.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

100 miles of backroads brapping on the new to me Duke today. Got drat this thing is so much fun. Just wide open throttle everywhere, redlining every gear, easy mode cornering. Exactly what I wanted out of a little bike.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:hellyeah:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Dang that almost makes me want to live in a place with seasons.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

opengl posted:

100 miles of backroads brapping on the new to me Duke today. Got drat this thing is so much fun. Just wide open throttle everywhere, redlining every gear, easy mode cornering. Exactly what I wanted out of a little bike.

Nice! Getting exactly what you want out of a bike is :kiss:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

opengl posted:

Cool bike, great photos

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

opengl posted:

100 miles of backroads brapping on the new to me Duke today.

Which Duke is it?

Russian Bear posted:

Don’t do it! Ok it’s pretty for a couple weeks, but then you park your precious for months (while still paying for insurance year round :canada:).

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

epswing posted:

Which Duke is it?

Don’t do it! Ok it’s pretty for a couple weeks, but then you park your precious for months (while still paying for insurance year round :canada:).

It's not so bad here in PA, I can usually sneak a few rides in through New Years on random warmish days. Jan-March tends to suck though.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Took the Monster out for a little weekend meditation before the Halloween drunks hit the streets last night. Frickin' love this thing.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Awesome. Is that a 1st or 2nd gen 1200?

I have to go to the office today, it's forecast to be nice so I might take the Scrambler.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Russian Bear posted:

In Massachusetts it's fall for about two weeks before everything gets covered in road salt. At about that time, if you have any titanium in your body, you'll experience a pain like you're being crushed in a vice until the pressure finishes dropping. The winter is spent bitterly staring out the window at what feels like perpetual darkness, contemplating whether eating poo poo wiping out on black ice is worth it to try and go for a ride until you can't feel your forehead or testicles. Eventually, "Spring" comes, which is just cold weather with mud everywhere but the mud is mixed with salt. Same lovely crushing bones feeling until it's summertime, when the whole region sends the DOT out to rip up and repair every single road.

Don't.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

knox_harrington posted:

Awesome. Is that a 1st or 2nd gen 1200?

I have to go to the office today, it's forecast to be nice so I might take the Scrambler.

2016, so a 1st gen. I would have loved the quick shifter and extras from the 2nd but this was the right price and was available the day after I sold my VFR so it was meant to be. Easily the most bonkers bike I’ve owned.

Working from home has many benefits but sometimes I miss going full squid and just doin dank whoolies away from work so the bike is always a good choice imo.

And Strife, I didn’t ride (street) when I lived in VT but that basically sums up why I don’t live in the NE anymore. Winter sucks. There’s the first big snowfall and it’s beautiful and serene and then it’s just month after month of hell and I’ll never go back if I can help it. I hated AZ for many reasons while I lived there too but I 100% with no irony would say “you can’t shovel sunshine”.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 1, 2022

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Strife posted:

In Massachusetts it's fall for about two weeks before everything gets covered in road salt. At about that time, if you have any titanium in your body, you'll experience a pain like you're being crushed in a vice until the pressure finishes dropping. The winter is spent bitterly staring out the window at what feels like perpetual darkness, contemplating whether eating poo poo wiping out on black ice is worth it to try and go for a ride until you can't feel your forehead or testicles. Eventually, "Spring" comes, which is just cold weather with mud everywhere but the mud is mixed with salt. Same lovely crushing bones feeling until it's summertime, when the whole region sends the DOT out to rip up and repair every single road.

Don't.

I didn’t realize this about ti hardware (have a plate on my collarbone). Has never bothered me but I did live with it mostly in a hot place.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Russian Bear posted:

I didn’t realize this about ti hardware (have a plate on my collarbone). Has never bothered me but I did live with it mostly in a hot place.

Yeah can I get more details about the Ti thing? Is it a temperature thing? Something to do with atmospheric pressure?

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

MetaJew posted:

Yeah can I get more details about the Ti thing? Is it a temperature thing? Something to do with atmospheric pressure?

It's not really "science" because there isn't a definitive reason for it, but the prevailing assumption seems to be that as the atmospheric pressure changes, your body is able to compress or expand because you're just meat and water, and because your whole body is doing it you don't really notice. When your bones are filled with a rigid material and screwed together, the rest of you wants to flex with the pressure but the metal can't, which causes pain.

That doesn't really explain why people with arthritis also experience joint pain as the seasons change, but it's certainly to do with the atmospheric pressure.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Not only pressure, but humidity. I have no idea what the mechanism is, but I can put a pot on the stove to make pasta, and go hang out on the other side of the house with my wife, and she can reliably tell me when it's started to boil just from the sudden joint pain

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Hmm, you'll get more humidity variance in a regular day than you would from boiling a pot of water.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

how old are you people lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Phy posted:

Not only pressure, but humidity. I have no idea what the mechanism is, but I can put a pot on the stove to make pasta, and go hang out on the other side of the house with my wife, and she can reliably tell me when it's started to boil just from the sudden joint pain

That's probably psychosomatic and based on decades of knowing how long it takes for a pot to boil, or perhaps subconsciously hearing it. Water vapor doesn't travel through a house instantly.

Need to do some blind testing imo.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

That's probably psychosomatic and based on decades of knowing how long it takes for a pot to boil, or perhaps subconsciously hearing it. Water vapor doesn't travel through a house instantly.

Need to do some blind testing imo.

E: gonna cut all that down to say, I understand why you might say that considering I'm not providing the specifics, but I do have reasons to believe her. Like, she does have some arthritis. And I'm not going to do methodical testing on her - she's had a few instances of that from other family members that have been plainly insulting (like, checking to see if she's actually allergic to shrimp), and I'm not gonna be that guy to her.

right arm posted:

A lot younger than we should be for this kind of horseshit to happen to a body!

Phy fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Nov 4, 2022

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

right arm posted:

I'll be 37 on Thanksgiving. But I have an illness that comes with arthritis as a sort of weird package deal. I've had pretty bad joint pain since my early 20s, and it's only gotten worse as I've gotten older (and had bones filled with Ti).

It's actually one of the biggest reasons I ride a Harley.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Strife posted:

I'll be 37 on Thanksgiving. But I have an illness that comes with arthritis as a sort of weird package deal. I've had pretty bad joint pain since my early 20s, and it's only gotten worse as I've gotten older (and had bones filled with Ti).

It's actually one of the biggest reasons I ride a Harley.

Not trying to be insensitive but... what's the connection between joint pain and Harleys? Or am I dense and that was a joke I didn't understand?

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

epswing posted:

Not trying to be insensitive but... what's the connection between joint pain and Harleys? Or am I dense and that was a joke I didn't understand?

Nah the riding position and ergonomics are gentle enough that it doesn't cause pain or fatigue, and there's an absolute gently caress ton of vibration mitigation. That's probably why so many fossils ride them, but I just can't tolerate the riding position of a sport bike.

Not to say that there aren't bikes with setups that would also be comfortable, as I also have no problem with my Ducati Scrambler, but my last three HDs have been extremely comfortable compared to most of the bikes I've ridden.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Ah, yeah, they’re comfy. I rented a Heritage Softail Classic while on a trip to LA, and I could hardly believe that after 6+ hours in the saddle I felt mostly fine. On any bike I’d previously owned my body would have been totally broken, and had naively and ignorantly settled into a “motorcycles are somewhat painful to ride, just part of the package” mentality.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

right arm posted:

Old enough for dad bikes. Next question.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

cursedshitbox posted:

:hai:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This dude thinking his bike isn't also a dad bike is hilarious

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I read that as he understands it’s a dad bike.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Quite A Tool posted:

I read that as he understands it’s a dad bike.

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Toronto skyline