Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Solkanar512 posted:

So 50% of the company with a few days notice is a massive violation of the WARN Act, right?

Probably. Throw another set of lawsuits on the pile. They'll get assertions to it some time after they finish clearing the wreckage of the company.

pseudorandom name posted:

Nah, you can lay them off now and continue paying them for the next two months.

The violation of the WARN Act will be Elon claiming they were fired for cause in an attempt to avoid the two months of severance.

Elon has been working 100% out of spite. Pick the shittiest outcome and that's probably what he's going with. He fired the board for cause two days before bonuses matured.

He's totally going to for cause then all or find some other reason to dick them out of severance.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
I am somewhat stock market dumb, but Twitter has shareholders, right?

And Elon is going to have to explain why he's made them all 30-40$/share less rich since his takeover, right? (Or they'll sell en masse and crater the stock?)

If my corporate fu is on point; he can't be fired because there's no board of directors, but this kind of action usually crashes a stock, if i understand it correctly.

How long before Elon's 44 billion dollar purchase of a company reportedly losing 200 million $/year has real life (but not really because he's impossibly wealthy) consequences?

Fun fact: 44 billion dollars is equal to the GDP of Romania! It is a fathomless amount of money that I cannot wrap my head around without imagining Scrooge McDuck's Money Bin.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

NutShellBill posted:

And Elon is going to have to explain why he's made them all 30-40$/share less rich since his takeover, right? (Or they'll sell en masse and crater the stock?)

If my corporate fu is on point; he can't be fired because there's no board of directors, but this kind of action usually crashes a stock, if i understand it correctly.

How long before Elon's 44 billion dollar purchase of a company reportedly losing 200 million $/year has real life (but not really because he's impossibly wealthy) consequences?

Fun fact: 44 billion dollars is equal to the GDP of Romania! It is a fathomless amount of money that I cannot wrap my head around without imagining Scrooge McDuck's Money Bin.

It's not going to crash the stock because since Musk bought the company and is taking it private, trading has ceased and the company is in the process of being delisted. Shareholders will get (if they haven't already gotten) their money at 53.70 per share, regardless if the company literally explodes tomorrow or not.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

NutShellBill posted:

Twitter has exactly one shareholder right now- Elon Musk. The rest of them received their $54.20, lost their shares, and no longer have a say in the direction of the company. You can't buy the shares back either, he took them all off the stock market.

(OK, Musk and a few select privileged friends like Jack Dorsey and Saudi Arabia, but they don't own enough to meaningfully counter Musk even if they wanted to)

quote:

They're all rich already, richer than they expected to be since Musk bought well above market value. He may at some point have to explain to his creditors why he set all their money on fire, though.

quote:

As far as I understand Twitter does still have a board just as part of being a functioning megacorporation, but Musk can now personally appoint and dismiss everyone on it.

quote:

Impossible to say. But if this shitshow causes investors to lose faith in Tesla, then the fireworks really start

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

NutShellBill posted:

Nope, not anymore. Musk bought Twitter and took it private, which means that he bought all the shares and took them off the market. Twitter is no longer a publicly traded company, and the only people who own Twitter shares are Musk and people that he has personally sold shares to at whatever price he personally worked out with him.

Musk runs the show now and he doesn't answer to anyone. He can do whatever he wants without fear of stock prices or investor backlash. Buckle up, it's gonna be one wild ride.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
two of my close friends just got laid off from twitter.

Carew
Jun 22, 2006
https://twitter.com/josheidelson/status/1588405731664924672?s=20&t=5pv-s9SjVWfuqegob3cXvA

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-11-04/twitter-sued-for-mass-layoffs-by-musk-without-enough-notice

I can't read it, unfortunately. It's pay/register walled.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Here's the article text:

quote:

Twitter Inc. was sued over Elon Musk’s plan to eliminate about 3,700 jobs at the social-media platform -- half of its workforce -- which workers say the company is doing without enough notice in violation of federal and California law.

A class-action lawsuit was filed Thursday in San Francisco federal court.

Twitter plans to start cutting staff Friday, the company said in an email to employees. Musk has vowed to slash costs at the platform he acquired for $44 billion last month, people with knowledge of the matter have said.

The federal Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act restricts large companies from mounting mass layoffs without at least 60 days of advance notice.

Twitter didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

The lawsuit asks the court to issue an order requiring Twitter to obey the WARN Act, and restricting the company from soliciting employees to sign documents that could give up their right to participate in litigation.

“We filed this lawsuit tonight in an attempt the make sure that employees are aware that they should not sign away their rights and that they have an avenue for pursuing their rights,” Shannon Liss-Riordan, the attorney who filed Thursday’s complaint, said in an interview.

Liss-Riordan sued Tesla Inc. over similar claims in June when the electric-car maker headed by Musk laid off about 10% of its workforce.

Tesla won a ruling from a federal judge in Austin forcing the workers in that case to pursue their claims in closed-door arbitration instead of in open court.

Musk described the Tesla lawsuit as “trivial” during a discussion with Bloomberg Editor-In-Chief John Micklethwait at the Qatar Economic Forum in June.

“We will now see if he is going to continue to thumb his nose at the laws of this country that protect employees,” Liss-Riordan said of Musk. “It appears that he’s repeating the same playbook of what he did at Tesla.”

I wouldn't pin high hopes on this just yet. Aside from being filed before the layoffs actually happen, this lawsuit does not appear to have any current or former Twitter employees involved yet.

There will certainly be real lawsuits, there's no doubt about that, but this feels like a move to get her name out there in the news at a moment when a lot of current and former Twitter employees are pondering whether they should call up a lawyer.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

NutShellBill posted:

Even the escapist fantasy world of the Mouse acknowledges that actual wealth is well beyond the literal cartoon money bin, I'm afraid.

It is kind of hilarious how mister Trump's wild escalator ride made Twitter such a large part in people's lives all over the world, and now it's burning down in a hurry because a man-child got upset at some shitposters and wanted mod buttons :allears:

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

haveblue posted:

Impossible to say. But if this shitshow causes investors to lose faith in Tesla, then the fireworks really start
I don’t think Tesla and Twitter are big enough to do it on their own but if Musk somehow triggers a hosed up failure cascade by destroying Twitter and wrecking Tesla as a result, lol

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Italian Elon Musk is a-finally gonna get his blue tick, wa-hoo!

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I can't imagine the mindset needed to be capable of working for a company like Twitter, but still feel the need to stick with a job that tells you that you're either fired or on an 84 hour work week.

I would have quit immediately. I have quit other jobs for similar reasons, and I am not as obviously employable as these folks almost certainly are.

There has to be a fairly significant number of people that just walk. A company tells me that I am on 84 hours? That best case scenario is 84 hours, worst case is I am fired? I help them with getting it settles and I walk. I don't see how Twitter survives Musk. It's going to be held together with chicken wire, chewing gum, and memories.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

idiotsavant posted:

I don’t think Tesla and Twitter are big enough to do it on their own but if Musk somehow triggers a hosed up failure cascade by destroying Twitter and wrecking Tesla as a result, lol

Some CSPAM exaggeration and we have Twitter as the small domino that leads to the final collapse of capitalism.

There's plenty of cases of rich idiots getting 'shiny new toy' syndrome and running their new businesses into the ground while neglecting the old ones, but never so openly public about it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Veryslightlymad posted:

I can't imagine the mindset needed to be capable of working for a company like Twitter, but still feel the need to stick with a job that tells you that you're either fired or on an 84 hour work week.

I would have quit immediately. I have quit other jobs for similar reasons, and I am not as obviously employable as these folks almost certainly are.

There has to be a fairly significant number of people that just walk. A company tells me that I am on 84 hours? That best case scenario is 84 hours, worst case is I am fired? I help them with getting it settles and I walk. I don't see how Twitter survives Musk. It's going to be held together with chicken wire, chewing gum, and memories.

Idk about California employment law, but in general I'd rather just not comply and then either get made redundant (sweet payout) or get fired for not working 84h (might not be enforceable depending on the terms of my contract so a possible case for the NLRB). If you walk you get nothing, good day sir

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

I wouldn't pin high hopes on this just yet. Aside from being filed before the layoffs actually happen, this lawsuit does not appear to have any current or former Twitter employees involved yet.

There will certainly be real lawsuits, there's no doubt about that, but this feels like a move to get her name out there in the news at a moment when a lot of current and former Twitter employees are pondering whether they should call up a lawyer.

Liss-Rirodan just had an unsuccessful bid to run for AG in Mass. but she ran on successfully suing Uber.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What gets me of course is that there's gonna be a huge contingent of Musk's right-wing fanboys and all the weird boomers who heard about him on Facebook or from their friends with Teslas who will all cheer and applaud at how this is a shining example of how to run a company. Just stride in with a sink and immediately fire everybody you deem disloyal. Just like in all their power-tripping fantasies.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
They obviously realize that a lot of people are going to be upset by this, so they sent out the emails at 3 am and then announced that they are locking the office and disabling all staff access for 4 days.

quote:

“To help ensure the safety of each employee as well as Twitter systems and customer data, our offices will be temporarily closed and all badge access will be suspended,” the email reads. “If you are in an office or on your way to an office, please return home.”

The email was impersonally signed “Twitter.”

https://techcrunch.com/2022/11/03/twitter-layoffs-elon-musk/

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
They're doing the same kind of poo poo in the Irish office, however we actually have strong legal protections for workers in Ireland plus a mandatory employee consultation process, so they're possibly going to be hit with hundreds of slam-dunk constructive dismissal lawsuits unless they backpedal fast. I believe they could be forced to pay 2 years salary per aggrieved employee if/when they lose such a case

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Are they going to make sure the office is empty before locking it, or is that how they’re going to keep their MVPs working on the new verification system over the weekend?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I have to say that I've gotten into the habit of sharing Twitter links because they turn into pretty little thumbnails on here and on other social media platforms. Is there a way that SA could do that for just general URL links?

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Are they going to make sure the office is empty before locking it, or is that how they’re going to keep their MVPs working on the new verification system over the weekend?

Curious how this vibes with Elon's NO REMOTE WORK policy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Eric Cantonese posted:

I have to say that I've gotten into the habit of sharing Twitter links because they turn into pretty little thumbnails on here and on other social media platforms. Is there a way that SA could do that for just general URL links?

Not really, making a summary/thumbnail without the site at the other end of the connection cooperating and doing some prep work is pretty hard. It would take either a big investment in tech and servers or the market clout to force other sites to comply with a standard and this site is too dead and gay to have either

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

haveblue posted:

Not really, making a summary/thumbnail without the site at the other end of the connection cooperating and doing some prep work is pretty hard. It would take either a big investment in tech and servers or the market clout to force other sites to comply with a standard and this site is too dead and gay to have either

That's too bad.

I'll settle for people not checking out my links as much as I really don't want to help Elon out that much. I'm probably white noise on here anyways.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Eric Cantonese posted:

I think there is something of a standard for this? Certainly meta tags that get displayed? It probably wouldn't be impossible to do in some form. We'd have to decide what exactly to put there - what is the preview for a whole page of posts? This is probably not the thread to hash this out but it doesn't sound impossible to me.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Curious how this vibes with Elon's NO REMOTE WORK policy.

"None of you were able to implement the $8 paywall by Monday? You're all fired. You should have thought about finishing the work before I suddenly and without warning locked out everyone."

Bing bong, all fired with cause :pseudo:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Oprah has turned against her creation:

https://twitter.com/errinhaines/status/1588331758743085056

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I think there is something of a standard for this? Certainly meta tags that get displayed? It probably wouldn't be impossible to do in some form. We'd have to decide what exactly to put there - what is the preview for a whole page of posts? This is probably not the thread to hash this out but it doesn't sound impossible to me.

there is enough of a standard that discord seems to do pre-display stuff for a lot more than just tweets

i think they mean more that other things shared here display little previews though, not wanting to make it easier to tweet somethingawful posts

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

No, they want to be able to post on SA a link to NY Times and have the article come up in their SA post without anyone have to click

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1588510040922722304?s=20&t=9E5ksYIDNTRJN3FA_tj0Ww

You can't indict someone who is running for president. Or I'm sure that's what his thought process is.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

She mentioned a bunch of Dem candidates she would vote for (Val Demings, Stacy Abrams, Beto O'Rourke, among others) at the event. I don't know if she has as much clout now as in 2008 when her endorsement gave Obama a significant boost, but I guess it doesn't hurt.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Devor posted:

No, they want to be able to post on SA a link to NY Times and have the article come up in their SA post without anyone have to click
That's fair - I would have to look into this one, and also think about whether it's something we want. Certainly I like that image and url tags are separate and wouldn't want to "preview" images in the latter. I do agree it'd be nice to have some clue what a link was about though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Zotix posted:

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1588510040922722304?s=20&t=9E5ksYIDNTRJN3FA_tj0Ww

You can't indict someone who is running for president. Or I'm sure that's what his thought process is.
I think there have been reports that part of the reason he wants to announce sooner is that he believes it will help him with his legal troubles, yes

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

That's fair - I would have to look into this one, and also think about whether it's something we want. Certainly I like that image and url tags are separate and wouldn't want to "preview" images in the latter. I do agree it'd be nice to have some clue what a link was about though.

Devor posted:

I just was thinking of a "preview" thumbnail where you get a picture and a headline. I'm not trying to get around a paywall and I usually just copy and paste excerpts I find interesting.

What I was thinking of was when you share a link on Facebook or what happens when you share a Tweet here. You get a picture and a headline.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Gatts posted:

Calling it now, Elon Musk messes with the money of the other investors in Twitter like the Saudis and he has to be…uh…invited to a meeting to…let’s say…speak with them.
i don't think you can hope for the same results of a journalist pissing them off compated to when its the richest (maybe sec9nd now after this poo poo) man in the world pissing them off

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Just use the prepackaged Twitter card API. Those little previews of articles on tweets are just Twitter’s rendering of info on the site that is tagged specifically to do that. So if any other site wanted to, you could render just about the same thing for any URL that would render as a preview on Twitter.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

World Famous W posted:

i don't think you can hope for the same results of a journalist pissing them off compated to when its the richest (maybe sec9nd now after this poo poo) man in the world pissing them off

Jamal Khashoggi was the nephew of Adnan Khashoggi, who was the world's wealthiest man in the 1980s. He wasn't just some journo.

That and Jamal didn't cost the Mohammed bin Salman money.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Politico says that Pelosi expects to step down as Speaker/Minority leader after the next congress is seated in January.

Hakeem Jeffries and Adam Schiff are fighting to replace her, but Jeffries likely has it in the bag because he has the support of the Congressional Black Caucus and James Clyburn, is "young" at 52, would be the first black leader of a congressional caucus, and is already in leadership (as Democratic Caucus Chair - the 5th ranking spot).

https://twitter.com/MichaelRWarren/status/1588532126894346240

quote:

How a secret meeting put Hakeem Jeffries on track to replace Pelosi

The race to succeed Speaker Nancy Pelosi as the leader of House Democrats may have been clinched at a meeting in the Capitol on Sept. 1.

That’s when House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn of South Carolina and Rep. Hakeem Jeffries of New York slipped back to Washington to connect in Clyburn’s office during the summer congressional recess at Jeffries’ request.

Jeffries, the fifth-ranking House Democrat who aspires to be the first-ranking House Democrat in the next Congress, was picking up heightened chatter from colleagues about California Rep. Adam Schiff’s outreach expressing his own interest in the top caucus job.

The 52-year-old Jeffries was concerned enough that he offered to fly to South Carolina to seek the counsel of the 82-year-old Clyburn. The younger lawmaker wanted to gently make sure his elder in the Congressional Black Caucus knew of Schiff’s quiet campaign — and to even more gently warn Clyburn about the risk of splitting votes between them and opening a path for the ambitious Californian.

Jeffries need not have been alarmed.

“There’s nothing I would ever do to impede the progress of our up-and-coming young Democrats and I see him as an up-and-coming young Democrat,” Clyburn said in an interview about Jeffries. “He knows that, I didn’t have to tell him that — but I did.”

Asked if he would be willing to serve in an emeritus role in the leadership, Clyburn said he is “willing to do anything the caucus thinks is to their benefit,” noting that Jeffries has “referred to me as a mentor.”

The South Carolinian’s reassurances — his most pronounced to date and downright blunt in the diplomatic parlance of leadership races — are likely to prove the linchpin for Jeffries’ all-but-certain campaign.

Jeffries declined to comment. A spokesperson for Schiff, Cate Hurley, said his “time and energy” are on helping colleagues to “retain the House Democratic majority.”

Even before the savage attack on Pelosi’s husband last week, House Democrats have afforded her a measure of public respect. Jeffries and Schiff have traveled extensively to stump for their colleagues in the midterm campaign, but only mentioned their aspirations to other lawmakers in private meetings or subsequent phone calls. Even then, the two have tried to be careful not to explicitly state that they’re running for her job or make firm requests for support.

This restraint, however, masks what so many House Democrats assume: that they will lose the majority on Tuesday and the speaker will step down from her post, creating the first vacancy atop the caucus since Pelosi succeeded Richard Gephardt two decades ago.

What has been less clear to lawmakers, at least before Clyburn’s candid remarks, is whether he and House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer would vie to succeed Pelosi.

Unlike Schiff, 62, and Jeffries, the two octogenarian leaders have not been lighting up their colleagues’ cell phones with calls and texts alerting them of their interest in the fashion of the two younger lawmakers — what one House Democrat called the “if-then” approach — “if there’s an opening atop the caucus, then I’d be interested.”

Yet if Hoyer or Clyburn were to seek the top job, it could complicate matters for Schiff and Jeffries.

The dynamic could prove particularly awkward should Clyburn run, raising the prospect of a generational battle within the CBC.

If the South Carolinian does clear the way for his younger colleague, however, the 58-member bloc would overwhelmingly rally to Jeffries, paving the way for him to become the first African-American to serve as a congressional leader.

“He brings old-school political acumen with an ability to relate to younger people,” Rep. Emanuel Cleaver of Missouri, another member of the CBC, said of Jeffries, while taking care to note he was not going to formally declare his preference until after the election.

Privately, a number of Democratic lawmakers said Jeffries is their best option as leader because he’s the rare member who’s proficient at both the outside and inside game, skilled enough to carry the party’s message on television but also attuned to his colleague’s needs and wants.

Jeffries’ ascent would be significant for a number of reasons. There’s his history-making status, a descendant of enslaved people leading his party in a building partly built by enslaved people.

With the current trio of House Democrats in their 80s, the transition to a lawmaker who came of age in the 1980s, and is given to quoting Biggie Smalls and even rapping at fundraisers, would also further fuel questions about the future of a president about to turn 80.

Then there’s the matter of Pelosi’s departure.

A historic figure herself, the speaker has kept a once-fractious caucus remarkably unified over a 20-year period during which time Republicans have gone through four leaders opposite her.

What she’s not been able to do, though, is groom a successor. This deficiency is why some House Democrats believe Schiff suddenly began sounding out his colleagues earlier this year.

Pelosi’s lieutenants insist she’s not nudging her fellow Californian to take on Jeffries, but she has tried to find him a perch before. She lobbied California Gov. Gavin Newsom to appoint Schiff state attorney general last year — and when the governor passed him over, Pelosi left Newsom a message expressing her disappointment in no uncertain terms.

To MSNBC-attuned Democratic activists and donors, Schiff may be the second best-known House Democrat and, after helping to lead two impeachment trials against Donald Trump, Pelosi’s de facto deputy.

But a cable television profile does not a leader make, at least not in the relationship-driven politics of congressional elections.

Schiff has helped himself by donating to his colleagues, raising or giving a combined $14 million to House candidates this election. But he is now playing catch-up with Jeffries, who has been building support since he was elected to the leadership following the 2018 election.

“He’s harvesting seeds Adam is just now planting,” said Rep. Dean Phillips of Minnesota, whose own relationship with Jeffries stems from that post-2018 leadership race.

Like Phillips, Rep. Haley Stevens of Michigan was also first elected in the 2018 Democratic wave, and when she met with Jeffries over nachos in her suburban Detroit district last month, she told him up front that she was on board.

Another longer-serving lawmaker could not believe he had to inform Schiff of what should have been obvious. “The fact he didn’t know I was for Hakeem tells you how out of touch he is,” said this lawmaker. “I’m part of Hakeem’s whip operation.”

To Schiff’s detriment, it’s not only that he’s playing catch up, it’s that it’s obvious he’s playing catch up. More focused on raising his media profile than cultivating colleagues during the Trump years — and seen in the caucus as capable but aloof — his outreach has prompted some lawmakers to privately ridicule him for only texting them for the first time when he became interested in the leadership.

In private, Schiff has expressed confidence that the 42-member delegation of California Democrats could vault him into contention.

But that bloc is hardly unified around him. “Should there be a change in leadership I think Hakeem would be a strong, unifying leader,” said Rep. Ami Bera of California, who’s eyeing the DCCC chairmanship.

Another one of Schiff’s California colleagues said Schiff should avoid the near certainty of losing a leadership race when lawmakers return to Washington after the midterms. “If he played his cards right, he’d say, ‘I’m not going to do this, I need your help for the Senate,’” said this lawmaker.

With over $21 million on hand in his House campaign account, money that could be rolled over to a Senate bid, he could be formidable in California’s TV-driven statewide politics.

That is, however, assuming there’s a race at all.

Should Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein vacate the seat before her term expires in 2025, Newsom has said he’ll name a Black woman as senator.

This same attentiveness to the Democratic coalition is what ultimately may pose the biggest challenge to Schiff’s House ambitions.

It’s not just the symbolism of tapping a white man rather than elevating the first Black leader to succeed the first female speaker. It’s that Jeffries is poised to ascend with a pair of well-liked deputies, Reps. Katherine Clark of Massachusetts and Pete Aguilar of California, who together reflect the makeup of their party — a Black man, a white woman and a Latino.

Few Democrats more fully grasp the power of the party’s diversity than Clyburn, the man whose eleventh-hour endorsement helped revive President Biden’s campaign in the first primary state with a large share of Black voters.

The caucus’ commitment to diverse leaders is “what this country is all about,” he said.

And, he added, that “bodes well for Hakeem.”

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Young Freud posted:

Jamal Khashoggi was the nephew of Adnan Khashoggi, who was the world's wealthiest man in the 1980s. He wasn't just some journo.

That and Jamal didn't cost the Mohammed bin Salman money.
nephew of former richest man is not the same as current richest man

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Saudi Prince that owns a 4% stake in Twitter is also not MBS. It was George W. Bush's good friend Prince Al Waleed; not the current murder Prince who is the unofficial ruler of the country.

Even if it was the right prince, they are not going to murder Elon Musk for making their 4% stake worth less. Musk doesn't have to allow anyone else a stake in Twitter anymore. He offered and they accepted. They had a chance to bail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Saudi Prince that owns a 4% stake in Twitter is also not MBS. It was George W. Bush's good friend Prince Al Waleed; not the murder Prince.

Even if it was the right prince, they are not going to murder Elon Musk for making their 4% stake worth less. Musk doesn't have to allow anyone else a stake in Twitter anymore. He offered and they accepted. They had a chance to bail.

It's okay, Elon has a plan, and it's.... crying about the woke mob

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1588538640401018880