Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Captain Hygiene posted:

Wesker imbued his true power and identity into his sunglasses before he died, now they are just waiting to be picked up and worn by a worthy bearer

This is the timeline we deserve for buying Resident Evil 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I just really loving hate having to take my sights off the target every time I shoot in video games.

You don't even actually have to do that with a bolt action rifle. I appreciate that Leon just works the bolt instead of pointing his gun at the sky like Commander Shepard

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

Flashbang grenades.

Yeah for some reason these little assholes take two flashbangs to kill. The "Axe" and "Sucker" plagas only take one to kill. If you flashbang the Face Huggers they detach from the body entirely and come after you. Better to hit them with the rifle while they're still anchored.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Yeah for some reason these little assholes take two flashbangs to kill. The "Axe" and "Sucker" plagas only take one to kill. If you flashbang the Face Huggers they detach from the body entirely and come after you. Better to hit them with the rifle while they're still anchored.

I just posted "flashbang grenades" because I beat the entire game the first time without ever using one before I learned that they can wipe out an entire hoard of those motherfuckers and wondered if anyone else had the same experience.

The game never tells you that's basically what those things are for and on my second run, way back then, it was nice to learn (somehow) that there was a practical use for them and they weren't just "poo poo that clogs up my tetris suitcase that I always forget to use".

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

BiggerBoat posted:

I just posted "flashbang grenades" because I beat the entire game the first time without ever using one before I learned that they can wipe out an entire hoard of those motherfuckers and wondered if anyone else had the same experience.

The game never tells you that's basically what those things are for and on my second run, way back then, it was nice to learn (somehow) that there was a practical use for them and they weren't just "poo poo that clogs up my tetris suitcase that I always forget to use".

It's one of the craziest secret best weapons in a game, it's so bizarre that it's not made obvious to the player. I remember watching a whole Let's Play of the game where the players kept getting so close to running low enough on ammo to start tossing them and learning what they do, but they kept barely making it out and discarding them to save space, I was just going :supaburn: the entire time

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

WaltherFeng posted:

I'm probably gonna poo poo myself depending on how they handle Regenerators in the remake.

By far the creepiest things in the series.

It's the noise. I just can't with that noise.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Regenerators are just going to start screaming at you as soon as they see you and never stop.

Ever.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
best way to introduce them would be with no fanfare at all. no cutscene, no "oh boy here it comes" files, don't even play the music. just have one wriggle out of a crevice and start clawing towards you

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

I had no idea either. Probably the most eye opening thing about finishing RE4 is seeing people discussing it or going through lets plays that reveal others discovering totally different solutions to scenarios. Even gun preferences seem to wildly vary. It feels like the closest thing Resident Evil gets to having a Metal Gear Solid 3 size of choices.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Anybody really like using the SMG? Just wasn't my thing, and why I didn't play HUNK more.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Halloween Jack posted:

Anybody really like using the SMG? Just wasn't my thing, and why I didn't play HUNK more.

You use the TMP for knee shots to set up melee attacks, which you then follow up with free knife hits while they're down.

The TMP is disgustingly ammo efficient as long as you don't just empty it at things.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, the TMP is top tier for setting up melee stuff and shooting dynamite out of the air, but I'm not sure it's worthwhile using as a regular gun.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I always had it around because it seems like one of those meat and potatoes weapons you just kind of have, but I always felt like I was wasting too many bullets with it to the point I rarely used it and therefore always had plenty of bullets for it. I think it got more useful in the last part of the game though when things are going wild.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
TMP is definitely helpful for crowd control since you can use it to stun a lot of ganados quickly if you are in a tight spot. I don't think I've ever not used it on a clean game.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Alright, I'm on playthrough 4 of RE8 and now have the STAKE and grenade launcher with unlimited ammo.

I might actually start Speedrun ing this, considering getting sub 2 hours is really easy.
Not sure how some of those folks get sub 1:30 but I'm waaaaaay unoptimized.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I remember the TMP being really useful for the flying bug things, like a really small number of rounds would drop one that was in the air. Really useful in that bit with the hive.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I remember a lot of folks insisting the TMP was garbage back in the day but it's pretty popular now.

It was always TMP and Punisher which got poo poo on.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Leon hanging from a rope over a spike pit of death and taking time out to troll Salazar by shooting the bell.

I love how the way Leon says this implies that being sent down a trapdoor and into a spike-filled death is something that's happened to him before. :allears:

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Once you've used a Flashbang to detach the facehuggers from the bodies, one or two shots with even the basic handgun kills them. They can also die on their own given enough time.

Fil5000 posted:

I remember the TMP being really useful for the flying bug things, like a really small number of rounds would drop one that was in the air. Really useful in that bit with the hive.

IIRC, the flying Novistadors only have 1 HP so it makes spraying and praying with the TMP highly effective against them.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

RE4 makes me miss good game design.

The friction between needing to stand still to shoot, melee maneuvers, and the enemy AI makes for much more intense encounters than pretty much any RE after it.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
SO I recently played through RE7. Loved it. Tried to play on the harder mode, which mostly just made the enemies have more HP and do more damage (bad) but also made them all faster(good). I don't know if I want to play through it again, though, since I hate spongey stuff. Just make the enemies faster and smarter, and give me less ammo.

How is Resident evil 8? Is it any good? Are there bonus modes as good at Re7's amazing feed Jack mode?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

SO I recently played through RE7. Loved it. Tried to play on the harder mode, which mostly just made the enemies have more HP and do more damage (bad) but also made them all faster(good). I don't know if I want to play through it again, though, since I hate spongey stuff. Just make the enemies faster and smarter, and give me less ammo.

How is Resident evil 8? Is it any good? Are there bonus modes as good at Re7's amazing feed Jack mode?

8 is good and is a bit of a return to the campier side of Resident Evil rather than the grindhouse style of 7. There is slightly more enemy variety than 7 and some of them are really low on reactions to getting shot which can make them feel a bit spongy. If you liked 7 you'll probably like it.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Fil5000 posted:

8 is good and is a bit of a return to the campier side of Resident Evil rather than the grindhouse style of 7. There is slightly more enemy variety than 7 and some of them are really low on reactions to getting shot which can make them feel a bit spongy. If you liked 7 you'll probably like it.

"Spongy" in this context was me having to shoot mia 27 times in face in madhouse mode to stop her in the prologue..

I dont mind campy, I have this weird thing where I think RE characters should have a Survival Horror time the first game they appear and then campy after. Like I meet people who are like "boy I sure want Leon Kennedy to be in a slow RE2-style game" bro he's literally survived like three resident evils and he's in his 50s.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

"Spongy" in this context was me having to shoot mia 27 times in face in madhouse mode to stop her in the prologue..

I dont mind campy, I have this weird thing where I think RE characters should have a Survival Horror time the first game they appear and then campy after. Like I meet people who are like "boy I sure want Leon Kennedy to be in a slow RE2-style game" bro he's literally survived like three resident evils and he's in his 50s.

Original Kennedy is. Bio-weapon Kennedy from Gaiden on the other hand remains young and ready to fight bioweapons and miss signs of women's interest in him and he's all out of helicopters

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

To be fair, that is the hardest fight in the game on Madhouse difficulty. Especially if you plan on using the bonus items like the Circular Saw and the block damage reduction items. You've got no access to them in that first fight and you can't screw up more than like twice.

Though I'll take Mia on Madhouse 100 times before I do Heisenberg on Village of Shadows difficulty again

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Barudak posted:

Original Kennedy is. Bio-weapon Kennedy from Gaiden on the other hand remains young and ready to fight bioweapons and miss signs of women's interest in him and he's all out of helicopters

That has to be the literal worst game I have ever bought full price out of brand loyalty

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Fair enough, I found the molded to be spongy even on normal so madhouse is probably horrific in that regard.

And yeah, I enjoy the camp, I just think its worth highlighting if someone liked 7 it's a little bit of a shift.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

You just run past most of them, IMHO

The initial cellar is the worst but its possible

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

I remember a lot of folks insisting the TMP was garbage back in the day but it's pretty popular now.

It was always TMP and Punisher which got poo poo on.

I had a buddy who said the Red9 was bad because it took up too much space for a handgun.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Wasn't the flashbacks effectiveness hinted at by the Plagas not liking sunlight? I can't remember how I found out how good they were or how my brain made the connection though.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

Wasn't the flashbacks effectiveness hinted at by the Plagas not liking sunlight? I can't remember how I found out how good they were or how my brain made the connection though.

If it is, it was too indirect for me to make the leap in reasoning. I just found out by being low enough on supplies to chuck one and hope it staggered everyone enough for me to run by.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I remember people stayed away from the TMP because it had its own ammo type which people thought was rare. It’s a catch 22 because you get ammo drops for guns you have.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I don't use the TMP because single, strong shots are a lot more satisfying then a bunch of weak ones. The Mine Thrower is the weapon I need to try out one of these days. From what I've seen people say, the description of it is awful compared to what it actually does.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Momomo posted:

I don't use the TMP because single, strong shots are a lot more satisfying then a bunch of weak ones. The Mine Thrower is the weapon I need to try out one of these days. From what I've seen people say, the description of it is awful compared to what it actually does.

I dunno how viable the mine thrower is for regular use, but it's hella fun to play around with.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
I know this is the RE thread, but is the Silent Hill HD Collection worth it?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Castor Poe posted:

SH3 isn't a terrible port, but if you want to play Silent Hill 2 the absolute best way to play it now is on the PC with the fan Enhanced Edition mod. It's amazing.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Castor Poe posted:

It's kind of the only (legal) game in town, which is regrettable, as both ports are fairly weak.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Castor Poe posted:

Nope

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Castor Poe posted:

Only as a last resort. PC versions are hard to come by and require tinkering although it’ll result in the best SH 2 possible.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Castor Poe posted:

Emulate the poo poo out of the ps2 versions with scanline filter or the mentioned enhanced fan mod for 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Castor Poe posted:

Don't buy the HD collection, it still has unfixed bugs and is a total ripoff.