Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

buffalo all day posted:

To the extent it’s an answer, it’s to play all your 1 drops on turn 6 and be behind on the board going in so that Killmonger flips first. So ideal curve is go Pass->Angela->Bishop->Kazar—>Blue Marvel->6 1 drops. If you have to play a one drop before turn 6, make it a lower value one and hold antman and blade (obviously) at all costs.
It's hard because then you have to skip turns and play weird and you dont even know if they're running KM. I actually have no idea and am curious, is the deck strong enough to win enough if you play that way every game? I guess looking at the point totals if you draw that curve it should be good.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

No Wave posted:

It's hard because then you have to skip turns and play weird and you dont even know if they're running KM. I actually have no idea and am curious, is the deck strong enough to win if you play that way every game?

I got up to 61 playing basically this, so not exactly high level but definitely had success in Pool 2. I have fallen off the last few days trying out some different decks. It’s definitely weird but the advantage is the other side has no idea what lanes you’re trying to win or if you’re in a good place, so you get more snap wins. Also because the deck basically is all one drops, once you know the locations (Vatu is nice here) and see Kazar and BM in your hand you can be pretty confident snapping. I also threw Sunspot in once I unlocked him, people start freaking out once he gets up to 5 or 6.

You do have to drop 1s early in a situation where it’s like T4 and you haven’t seen Kazar or BM, so that you have energy to play them on turn 5 or 6. Also you can always retreat if things are looking grim around T4 and you are missing your key cards.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

No Wave posted:

Killmonger is a really unfair card and is totally different to other "answers" because he hits every lane. Maybe kazoo is just so strong that it's necessary, idk.

I love playing him btw but it's because it's dirty.

Kazoo was really, really strong in beta and got hit with several nerfs at the start of Season 2. It was a Pool 1 deck that was capable of beating any Pool 2 deck and most Pool 3 decks that weren't Deathwave (Sera Negative hadn't been developed yet). Killmonger was moved to Pool 2 so that players could beat it without fluking into a Pool 3 card, while Sandman was moved to Pool 2 so players in that pool could more easily compete with Sera decks.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Thanks for the tips - going to adjust and try not to get tilted.

Squiggly posted:

Cables really good though? He helps dino and sometimes removes powerful cards from the oppo

Typically you want to run moon girl in your devil dino decks. Agent 13 too, and it helps as an on curve turn 1 play or filler

I like Cable, but isn't the "remove cards from the opponent" thing more of an illusion? He takes the card from the bottom of the deck, so unless it's one that gets pulled out through special circumstances it's not a card they would have drawn that game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

Thanks for the tips - going to adjust and try not to get tilted.

I like Cable, but isn't the "remove cards from the opponent" thing more of an illusion? He takes the card from the bottom of the deck, so unless it's one that gets pulled out through special circumstances it's not a card they would have drawn that game.

You only need to draw three additional cards to see your whole deck. Also unlike in other games your opponent doesn't know what you took; he could spend the whole game waiting to draw his combo piece that is stuck in your hand because it's no use to you.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Okay, I’m hooked. I think a CCG type game is most successful when it makes you feel like you’re somehow breaking things or doing things that you shouldn’t. And this definitely happens with Marvel Snap like every other game, with tons of synergies that make you feel like you’re doing some weird exploit you’re not supposed to be doing.

It’s also making me think a lot about the release of Artifact, and how safe they played it with that initial card pool. None of the cards really did anything too wacky, and you never felt like you were breaking out of the intended confines of the game (which was wild, because Dota is also a bit like that - where everything has the potential to feel game-breaking). What a wasted opportunity that was.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Jedit posted:

You only need to draw three additional cards to see your whole deck. Also unlike in other games your opponent doesn't know what you took; he could spend the whole game waiting to draw his combo piece that is stuck in your hand because it's no use to you.

Also, you get to see what they're running early. If I pull Deadpool or Death, I know exactly what deck they're running and can take that into account

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
I love faking people out with my movement deck. Oh you thought I was going to move left? Surprise Shang Chi bitch!

mirror123
Jan 17, 2006
rice barrel
I finally fulfilled my lifelong dream of dropping enchantress on the entire kaza-blue marvel-onslaught combo and it was amazing

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Jedit posted:

Pretty much this. I've had opponents retreat when I snap after a good cable pull

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

goferchan posted:

I just got his Venom variant from a season cache and it's wayyyyy cooler. Saw his cartoony one in the variant shop and it was neat too but I don't think I'll ever buy anything from the variant shop.

edit: observe

Yeah, he's got some genuinely great variants, which I can't link here because I can only get them in webp format and imgur won't take that? But look at 'em, they're rad. That's the best pixel variant I've seen.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Anyone hit a wall around rank 60? I've been stuck here for two days

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dpulex posted:

Not but I've been stuck at 38 for over a week.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, he's got some genuinely great variants, which I can't link here because I can only get them in webp format and imgur won't take that? But look at 'em, they're rad. That's the best pixel variant I've seen.

The black and white one with the orange background is unavailable to human players, as are all the cards in that style. Bots occasionally have them though.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Dpulex posted:

Still in the 40-50 wall. I don't snap good, but I'm having fun so whatevs.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

No Wave posted:

It's hard because then you have to skip turns and play weird and you dont even know if they're running KM. I actually have no idea and am curious, is the deck strong enough to win enough if you play that way every game? I guess looking at the point totals if you draw that curve it should be good.

I recently hit Infinite (or whatever rank 100 is called) with a similar Zoo list, with Angela/Bishop/Kazar/Blue Marvel and 8 1-drops. You snap when you've got the curve-out, and retreat when you have to play out too much early on. I entered pool 2 at rank 90, and only got KM'd twice.

With that said, while I thought the playerbase was thin in the 80s in the 100s I'll play the same opponent 5+ times in a row.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, he's got some genuinely great variants, which I can't link here because I can only get them in webp format and imgur won't take that?
Copy the image into your editor of choice and resave it as a PNG. Example:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Dpulex posted:

Absolutely. I spent like a week and a half bouncing between 58 and 63; I only broke through to 70 yesterday.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

CapnAndy posted:

Absolutely. I spent like a week and a half bouncing between 58 and 63; I only broke through to 70 yesterday.

I get the sense that people around 60 are way better at snapping and retreating than at lower ranks.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is there a reason to actively stay in pool 1 vs jumping into pool 2?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

obi_ant posted:

Is there a reason to actively stay in pool 1 vs jumping into pool 2?

I tried this. I thought it'd help me have a higher win rate, but mostly it was just boring.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Quackles posted:

I tried this. I thought it'd help me have a higher win rate, but mostly it was just boring.

Same, I stuck it out for a while to get a backlog of credits so I wasn’t playing with like one pool 2 card but I got bored once I got like 2500 or so and just went for it. Didn’t affect much tbh, I think the skill went down since there are lots of min-mixers sitting around CL 214

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Xtanstic posted:

Still in the 40-50 wall. I don't snap good, but I'm having fun so whatevs.

I snap bad. I've decided to give up on reaching 100 for now, seasons seem really short.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Dpulex posted:

I snap bad. I've decided to give up on reaching 100 for now, seasons seem really short.
We're in a shortened one because they started this one during the beta for some loving reason, but even at normal length, they're too short. 5 weeks is a ridiculous turnover rate.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Dpulex posted:

Yeah that’s around the point where I stopped caring about rank. The rewards are lame and the grind is crazy.

Unfortunately if you stop caring about ranked it undermines the whole cube/Snap system. I’m beginning to have doubts about some of the core design choices in the game.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

BGrifter posted:

Yeah that’s around the point where I stopped caring about rank. The rewards are lame and the grind is crazy.

Unfortunately if you stop caring about ranked it undermines the whole cube/Snap system. I’m beginning to have doubts about some of the core design choices in the game.

I mean, only if you see cubes as a means to an end. The effect is also psychological. A big win feels better than a small win.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

BGrifter posted:

Making the seasons longer would solve all my issues with the grind which feels like an absolute slog after rank 40. I like the idea of the snap system but reducing the cubes needed to rank up by half would improve this game 10000000000%. It seems like all the monetization stuff is on the side of the card level and cosmetics rather than rank, so I don't get why the ranking system is so freaking slow.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Dpulex posted:

Making the seasons longer would solve all my issues with the grind which feels like an absolute slog after rank 40. I like the idea of the snap system but reducing the cubes needed to rank up by half would improve this game 10000000000%. It seems like all the monetization stuff is on the side of the card level and cosmetics rather than rank, so I don't get why the ranking system is so freaking slow.
Cause it wouldnt be enough gameplay for the super dedicated types. I'm likely to never hit infinite and I don't mind, the sum total of the rank rewards are about two and a half dailies worth of credits. If there were more mystery variants on the rank rewards maybe I'd be more motivated.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

buffalo all day posted:

I get the sense that people around 60 are way better at snapping and retreating than at lower ranks.

Yeah, as the decks are so small (and there are so many random aspects that can throw off your game) a lot of getting up the chain is just about knowing when to make the big bets, and when to retreat. Once you get past 30 its really easy to hover at the same rank if every game goes to an all-in final turn.

I'm going back and forth as to whether an unranked queue would work. On the one hand, I mostly really like the 'this is the game' ethos of just having a single matchmaking queue. But it'd be nice to have somewhere to experiment with some wackier decks.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

CapnAndy posted:

We're in a shortened one because they started this one during the beta for some loving reason, but even at normal length, they're too short. 5 weeks is a ridiculous turnover rate.

When is this season ending? I did some googling and couldn't find the answer.

The closest that I found was that they're typically a month and this one started on 10/4. But, that means that there should already be a new season (whether by calendar month or "30 day month" methods of counting).

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

The Sean posted:

When is this season ending? I did some googling and couldn't find the answer.

The closest that I found was that they're typically a month and this one started on 10/4. But, that means that there should already be a new season (whether by calendar month or "30 day month" methods of counting).

There's a little timer on the season pass menu in-game. 4 days!

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

The Grumbles posted:

There's a little timer on the season pass menu in-game. 4 days!

gently caress, it is tiny and the UI sucks but I guess I could have found it on my own. Thank you.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Managed to creep up into the 60s with a generic pool 2 destroy deck minus killmonger (haven’t pulled him) deck.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The Grumbles posted:

I'm going back and forth as to whether an unranked queue would work. On the one hand, I mostly really like the 'this is the game' ethos of just having a single matchmaking queue. But it'd be nice to have somewhere to experiment with some wackier decks.

I thought unranked is in development?

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Dpulex posted:

I made it up to 58 before getting batted back down and am currently struggling to escape 53.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a Pool 2 movement deck? I'm currently running:

* (1) Iron Fist
* (1) Uatu
* (1) Nightcrawler
* (2) Multiple Man
* (2) Kraven
* (2) Cloak
* (3) Vulture
* (3) Dr. Strange
* (3) Storm
* (4) Miles Morales
* (5) Vision
* (6) Heimdall

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Scrap Dragon posted:

I made it up to 58 before getting batted back down and am currently struggling to escape 53.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a Pool 2 movement deck? I'm currently running:

* (1) Iron Fist
* (1) Uatu
* (1) Nightcrawler
* (2) Multiple Man
* (2) Kraven
* (2) Cloak
* (3) Vulture
* (3) Dr. Strange
* (3) Storm
* (4) Miles Morales
* (5) Vision
* (6) Heimdall

Drop Uatu sub in Forge and Hulkbuster to beef up MM

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

cirus posted:

Yep this, you also might consider swapping vision for iron man. More likely to win you a game if you miss Heimdall? But haven’t done a ton of testing

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

cirus posted:

Yeah, with movement decks in pool 2 I’ve found you need to pull either Vulture or Multiple Man early. Either one you want to then move around as much as possible, with MM preferably being buffed by Forge/Hulkbuster first because the bonus is carried over to the duplicates.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

I might have missed it, but how do I find out which pool each card is in?

Deathslinger fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I wish there was a way to target what boosters you want.

I have a bunch of cards that are right on the edge of getting to their final upgrade and the game just won't give me their boosters. :argh: