Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

ManBoyChef posted:

When I hear about losing Nevada to election deniers and the laws being passed in republican legislatures that pretty much allow the legislature to pick electors I worry for my sons future.

Potato Salad posted:

every time I start getting mad about the present inaction over becoming destruction of democratic norms in the United states, I reassure myself by remembering that we also aren't taking action on climate change, so that none of it matters regardless

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ManBoyChef posted:

I live in a decent suburb of Orlando. Do you know how many freaking Laura Loomer signs I saw? Its freaking crazy anymore. The GOP base has gone bugfuck. The fact that all the right wing media pumps into their pea brains is cultural issues because they know that the republican platform is so odious to the average american has led to a shift into conspiracy mindset and the rise of MAGA. On some level we should all be freaking worried because the Democrats have basically done nothing or are unable to stand up to the GOP jiggering the electoral process. How many times can we overwhelmingly outvote the GOP to end up with half and half or a slim majority? When I hear about losing Nevada to election deniers and the laws being passed in republican legislatures that pretty much allow the legislature to pick electors I worry for my sons future.

I'm worried that even if you materially improve the lives of a lot of right leaning independents the media they consume will cause them to believe that it is not happening.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2022/11/03/county-by-county-heres-how-many-voters-are-showing-up-in-central-florida/

In Wake County North Carolina there is a huge concerted effort (as I'm sure there is nationwide) for broke brained Q followers and other Maga folks to get into school boards, etc.

Michele Morrow, a particularly odious and loud mouthed person is running for school board. She home schools and doesn't even have kids in the public school system, but that doesn't matter. Her sole goal is to help kill the public school system in general.

Anyway - she was at J6 and has said tons of violent, anti-semitic things on Twitter/FB.

So somebody drove around to everywhere her signs were and put up handwritten signs next to hers pointing out the crazy crap she has done. As well as run Nextdoor campaigns to publicly let everyone know who might not be away (because, otherwise she *does* have the highest saturation of signs and they're very professional looking... so people that aren't aware might just vote her b/c of that). I think it's actually ending up being effective. But we'll see next week (also her husband got arrested for stealing and throwing away competitors signs... it's always projection).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Why not just, like, take the signs?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Halloween Jack posted:

Because then apparently you get caught and arrested

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Halloween Jack posted:

It depends on where the signs are. There is a legal and safety risk of going on to someone else's yard and taking something away. Even putting up reply signs next to someone's yard sign could get dicey.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I guess we'll just have to let a Nazi swamp hag run the school board, then. Wouldn't want to sink to their level or break the law.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

I guess we'll just have to let a Nazi swamp hag run the school board, then. Wouldn't want to sink to their level or break the law.

~~Welcome to the marketplace of ideas.~~

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Eric Cantonese posted:

Even putting up reply signs next to someone's yard sign could get dicey.
Exactly, it sounds like it would be much easier to get away with just removing the existing sign.

Of course, this is all predicated on the assumption that a preponderance of yard signs has a significant effect on the election. It's just bizarre to me how even when Democratic partisans do the same kind of sweaty, harebrained stunts as Republicans, they're governed by the decorum police living in their head.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Lawns are not ACTUALLY a sign of popularity and you are literally wasting your time taking them down. You'd be better off making canvassing, phone banking, or whatever than doing anything with lawn signs.

I hate lawn signs is what I am saying.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I didn't want to vote for a fascist lunatic but the lawn told me to

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

BonoMan posted:

In Wake County North Carolina there is a huge concerted effort (as I'm sure there is nationwide) for broke brained Q followers and other Maga folks to get into school boards, etc.
It's happening here in neighboring Chatham County too, specifically with the Moms for Liberty group. It's really interesting because the county leans pretty blue even in its more rural areas and has part of Chapel Hill anchored inside it. But the Republican sheriff nominee and school board nominees are out of their minds. The Republican strategy really is just throw crazy at the wall and see what sticks.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's happening here in Chatham County too, specifically with the Moms for Liberty group. It's really interesting because the county leans pretty blue even in its more rural areas and has part of Chapel Hill anchored inside it. But the Republican sheriff nominee and school board nominees are out of their minds. The Republican strategy really is just throw crazy at the wall and see what sticks.

They tried doing this in my district which is pretty drat red and lost by tens of thousands of votes in a school board election with 35k voters total

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Halloween Jack posted:

One time in 2016 I drove by a house on a northern Wisconsin highway that had a Trump sign and a hand written sign next to it saying "PLEASE STOP DESTROYING MY SIGNS."

Simpler times.

edit: 538 reports 54 - 46 Senate. Well, at least it stopped trending towards the Republicans.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 4, 2022

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Mooseontheloose posted:

Lawns are not ACTUALLY a sign of popularity and you are literally wasting your time taking them down. You'd be better off making canvassing, phone banking, or whatever than doing anything with lawn signs.

I hate lawn signs is what I am saying.

I took down every Bloomberg sign I saw just walking around my block because there were so loving many of them, they sprouted like mushrooms. My apartment building was behind the local Bloomberg campaign HQ and their MIKE poo poo was everywhere. And it was at a time when no other primary candidates were putting up signs so it was entirely MIKE MIKE MIKE MIKE and/or his smug face. I just wanted to not see a billionaire sexpest ogling me from the front yard every day.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's happening here in neighboring Chatham County too, specifically with the Moms for Liberty group. It's really interesting because the county leans pretty blue even in its more rural areas and has part of Chapel Hill anchored inside it. But the Republican sheriff nominee and school board nominees are out of their minds. The Republican strategy really is just throw crazy at the wall and see what sticks.

Yeah that Moms for Liberty group is insane (she's part of it). My wife was talking about how one of her popular Buy Nothing FB groups converted to a Moms for Liberty group because the owner was a chud and just flipped the switch on it.

Thankfully it actually awakened everyone to who they actually were and what their intentions were which will probably have a net negative effect for them.

As for the lawn signs I mentioned earlier, these are in public places where signs are allowed, I'm not referring people's personal lawns. I think taking them is actually against the law and just posting how crazy they are next to it seems to be the best counter to that.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
I fought the lawn and the lawn won

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Breaking the lawn, breaking the lawn

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

...The Lawnvoter Man?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Lawn Days Journey into Night.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

It's been a Lawn time coming

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
In politics, you have to play the lawn game.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Our nation is great because of the Rule of Lawn.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Y'all better sod off before a mod comes in and lays down the lawn.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

When you play the game of lawns, you win or you die.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

BonoMan posted:

Y'all better sod off before a mod comes in and lays down the lawn.

True, it was a fertile ground to seed many humorous puns. But I think we've arrived at the last straw.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I agree, we all really need to touch grass

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Time to restore some lawn and order.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Is this what they mean by voting for the Green Party?

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
Lawn signs can be useful.

My MAGA hatted dog neglecting hoarder of a next door neighbor has a huge sign promoting a woman for City Council.

I just moved to this address and will have to research who to vote for on Tuesday. Nebraska does not make it easy, because party affiliations aren't super clear at the local and state levels, smaller races receive little coverage, and the websites for the candidates are murky. I'll probably just go for whoever the Sarpy County democrats say to vote for.

But I can safely not vote for her!

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

haveblue posted:

Breaking the lawn, breaking the lawn

getting away with birder

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Okay now we're just getting lost in the weeds with some of these puns.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

blackmet posted:

My MAGA hatted dog neglecting hoarder of a next door neighbor has a huge sign promoting a woman for City Council.

I just moved to this address and will have to research who to vote for on Tuesday. Nebraska does not make it easy, because party affiliations aren't super clear at the local and state levels, smaller races receive little coverage, and the websites for the candidates are murky. I'll probably just go for whoever the Sarpy County democrats say to vote for.

Not necessarily. I've seen people around here have the Dem county sherriff's sign next to the republican board member and county clerk signs and I'm just like 'whut.' He even got the guy who had a huge homemade TROUMP sign in 2016 to put up his signs, I do not get it. He's not a DINO or anything either its just... they like him as a person? They know his mom? I dunno, local politics get weird. I once knew a guy who specifically registered to vote for the first time just to vote against a guy running for city council because the guy had screwed him on a real estate deal.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

blackmet posted:

Trump lawn signs just let me know where to go for supplies if they get their civil war.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

For the local nonpartisan races, I find it useful to see if the candidates have a personal Facebook page. You can usually get a pretty good read on them from that.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

nine-gear crow posted:

Is this what they mean by voting for the Green Party?

Nah, not enough condescension and outright rage from Democrats for engaging with the topic for it to be that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Timeless Appeal posted:

Okay now we're just getting lost in the weeds with some of these puns.

Sounds like the mods need to root out all grass punsters.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

This grassy derail is unfortunately not so natural as it seems - I fear it may have been astroturfed. If I were to hedge my bets, I'd say some lawns were broken in the act.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

BonoMan posted:

As for the lawn signs I mentioned earlier, these are in public places where signs are allowed, I'm not referring people's personal lawns. I think taking them is actually against the law and just posting how crazy they are next to it seems to be the best counter to that.

I learned (not the hard way) after the last election that in NC at least it IS a misdemeanor to remove or vandalize legally placed campaign signs.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I just got this in the mail, anyone want to guess what it's all about?

If you guessed "Abortion" you're right!

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

I dream about going around at night and taking down people's stupid Trump bullshit but I don't want to get shot