Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

JAMOOOL posted:

not to turn this into coder's chat but I personally think more lines is sometimes better, some of our devs try to fit incredibly complex loops into a single lambda expression and while yeah it does work it's also impossible to debug. verbose code is at least easy to fix

Python code:

#we will increment the number of requests being handled currently
request_cnt += 1
#commit 2 years later: redocumentation effort: this is the request counter handler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

in a way this is Lowtax trying to pander to Kiwifarms freaks but on a grander scale, and also Elon might actually follow through on his idiot promises

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

kazil posted:

wouldn't surprise me if most of the people that reply to Elon are actual people. It's low risk, high reward to tweet that you like his ballsack and he gives you a million dollars.

It's those people that are targeted by cryptobots and whatnot because they are the dumbest people on the platform

It's not a coincidence that there have been not one but two "Baby Elon" cryptocoin projects, both of which rug-pulled.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I like to write my code and in-line documentation as if an idiot is going to be reading it, because that idiot will be me three months from now

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Philthy posted:

i wonder if elons family look at him as a big dumb idiot and are like... he's our big dumb idiot i cant not love him but goddamn is he really loving dumb

no, because his family are weirdos who are also big dumb idiots

but that appears to be how Grimes and other female partners felt about him

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

smoobles posted:

The craziest part to me is ALMOST NOBODY uses Twitter.

There are 200 million active users. 20 million of them are responsible for 90% of activity. This is all well researched and 100% known to be true.

Elon Musk became so online and broke brained that he *actually believed* Twitter was the loving "town square of the Internet" whatever the hell that even means. He *actually believed* (until he got buyer's remorse) that it was worth 44 billion and he could fix it by pandering to right wing trolls, half of whom are bots/troll farms.

I can't prove this (nobody will ever know for sure) but I believe Elon looked at the Elon Musk reply bots and thought they were real people. We know for a fact that he 1) scrolls his replies 2) has an outsized perception of Twitter vs reality and 3) immediately pulled the "bots" card when he regretted the deal. This dumb fucker read bot replies and convinced himself he was the tech messiah who could save Twitter (a website with 20 million active users) and thereby save the world (population 7 billion).

What an absolute loving clown of a human.

That's the pre-Musk problem with twitter. Politicians, journalists, and celebrities jumped on Twitter when it started, but very few other people did. Objectively, Twitter is by far the smallest of the major social media networks. Yet it feels important because it has the most mass media personalities on it. Musk and surprisingly many journalists *actually believed* Twitter was the "town square of the Internet". But it's actually the mass media shitposting and rumor mill central. The billions of normies in the world are overwhelmingly not on twitter.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Tbf does that active user count include people who just read Twitter without an account? I know they've limited what you can do without one as of late but I used to browse poo poo there all the time but gently caress actually signing up.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

If all 20 million active users sign up for the $8 plan, Elon can recoup his 44 billion in a mere 275 months, or 23 years. Not bad, I'd say.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Of the major social networks Twitter was the one journalists would use to avoid doing any actual reporting. If it’s goes down they’ll have to actually find news to cover and interview people

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I know this is extremely :tinfoil: but is he deliberately trying to destroy twitter from the inside become him and his rich friends saw twitter as a threat? Because holy crap he's bad at this.

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 4, 2022

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Buying twitter at a meme price was a bad choice imo

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Confusedslight posted:

I know this is extremely :tinfoil: but is he deliberately trying to destroy twitter from the inside become him and his rich friends saw twitter as a threat? Because how crap he's bad at this.

i think he's just dumb op

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Confusedslight posted:

I know this is extremely :tinfoil: but is he deliberately trying to destroy twitter from the inside become him and his rich friends saw twitter as it as a threat? Because how crap he's bad at this.

No. Elon Musk would never participate in any conspiracy which required him to look like an idiot whose bad at business and technology.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Can some one, anyone ask the Tesla board or SpaceX board what their feelings on Elon's attention being consumed by this Twitter takeover.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Confusedslight posted:

I know this is extremely :tinfoil: but is he deliberately trying to destroy twitter from the inside become him and his rich friends saw twitter as a threat? Because how crap he's bad at this.

Not a chance.

On the other hand, if I was in rich idiot position 2-5 and wanted to knock Elon out of the top spot, it might be worth lending him a billion so he can self destruct.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Peelon huffed his own farts so hard he liquified his brain.

lmao

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Guze posted:

Buying twitter at a meme price was a bad choice imo

5 420s ha ha!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

davecrazy posted:

Can some one, anyone ask the Tesla board or SpaceX board what their feelings on Elon's attention being consumed by this Twitter takeover.

They’re probably as happy as the dudes who got severance today.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

davecrazy posted:

It's not just his attention, he pulled resources from tesla (a completely distinct company with its own financial responsibilities) to do whatever they are doing with him at twitter

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Confusedslight posted:

I know this is extremely :tinfoil: but is he deliberately trying to destroy twitter from the inside become him and his rich friends saw twitter as a threat? Because holy crap he's bad at this.

If Twitter was a threat then what you want to do is control it not destroy it.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Not everything is a conspiracy. Many times people are simply very stupid, high on their own supply, or just greedy.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

rotinaj posted:

Is it just the shithead protagonist from the first book who spent the entire book pining for his internet girlfriend, then found out that she was an ugly witch who had a horrible birthmark, a port wine birthmark on her face, but he still likes her because she is a girl who might touch his penis

He sucked and i never saw the movie because the book sucked hard

Same guy! The sequel just gave him infinite money and power for him to waste on public slapfights with people he doesn't like

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Rich people think other rich people know what they’re doing because they’re rich. Just a group of dipshits hotboxing each other’s farts and convincing themselves the reason they have so much money is because they are business geniuses even though most wealth is generational and exists in a system where it is very hard to experience any consequences for your own bad choices.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
https://twitter.com/LisaBloom/status/1588359669843513344?s=20&t=kIYxNvFfiDRIJGfvvKV9vg

Already class action lawsuits have been filed.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Confusedslight posted:

Twitter isn't exactly a difficult platform to make an alternative to. If the demand is there (which it is) then itll just regrow somewhere else. Saw a number of celebrities switch to Mastadon already.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Twitter isn't exactly a difficult platform to make an alternative to. If the demand is there (which it is) then itll just regrow somewhere else. Saw a number of celebrities switch to Mastadon already.
The main problem with Twitter competitors is they've always been "Twitter but you can say the N word", and now that that's just Twitter, so "Twitter but you can't say the N-word" is a suddenly unexploited niche!

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/laurenshirsch/status/1588550548587847680?s=46&t=hIIoUFIC2xA0WqfJtRf6lw

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
just lol that yelling at the users for not wanting his product didn't work so now he's going to start yelling at the advertisers for not wanting his product. And this is somehow supposed to convince all of them to change their minds and start loving his product. You're doing great Elon!

edit: double lol
https://twitter.com/WUTangKids/status/1588573827474198528

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Elon Musk could not have possible forseen that the deal would be bungled so badly by Elon Musk, he's blameless

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

elon has fascburgers so he can't help being a moronic piece of poo poo

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Confusedslight posted:

I don't think so because he tried to get out of buying it. I think it's just a gigantic unforced error.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

davecrazy posted:

i know someone who worked at spacex and they said pretty much every manager is stealing as much money as they can because elon writes blank checks and never bothers to look in to things so this is probably a field day

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

lol

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Just get tesla to advertise on Twitter, they're pretty big. Problem solved, you're welcome Elon

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t know who is in charge of fact checking, but that whole division just got laid off

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1587873929443565572

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Strong Zap Brannigan "Stop exploding you Cowards!" energy from that Elon Tweet.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

davecrazy posted:

The Jenga tower wont fully collapse till a big name celebrity deletes their account. Ariana Grande peaced out last year and was barley a ripple.

Kim Kardashian or some one like that needs to publicly #quittwitter and the whole house of cards will collapse.

Twitter will shut down when journalists have to do their job and not just look at twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/460673146451161088?lang=en