Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
What's the box in 0915?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

A tortoise that's fast compared to other turtles is still a fast tortoise

... Remind me to share the suburbie later after work tho. Sadly, a mech design contest never came along!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

What's the box in 0915?

You hired a scout that adds a new loot marker to the map.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Should I yolo DFA the bulwark? warcrime questions

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

AtomikKrab posted:

Should I yolo DFA the bulwark? warcrime questions

Are you about to die? If not, then no. If yes, then yes.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

PoptartsNinja posted:

PTN’s note: I forgot to actually make a sprite for the lovely ForestryMech cameraman for you to protect this mission, so their technicians slacked too much and they couldn’t get it to start up. They’ll have to join you in the next fight

:allears:

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
I'd like to imagine the camera crew did show up, and are just off side of the map, terrified yet still filming anyway.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Tank crews with cell phone cameras

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
It being an ambush is the perfect chance. They set up cameras then ran away to hide

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Awoo needs their pronouns fixed again :smith:

E: I'm just gonna headcanon them as also being on team she/they, just for different reasons than myself :p

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

Are you about to die? If not, then no. If yes, then yes.

True, but bigger question, should I go aggressive with my light mechs to try to ensure the kill on the target this turn? or play it safe everyone?

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
This seems to be a well executed ambush, I say go ham.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Anticheese posted:

Awoo needs their pronouns fixed again :smith:

One of these days my brain is going to reset and I'm going to get that right. :(

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

vorebane posted:

This seems to be a well executed ambush, I say go ham.

Going moderately ham this round

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

PoptartsNinja posted:

- Not specified in player orders, but: retrieves field salvage in hex 1119!

I feel like I should point this out. PTN, will you always autopickup salvage for players or will you be needing it specified in the future?

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Is there ever a reason not to pick up salvage when you're already on it? Does it occupy your hands or something?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Is there ever a reason not to pick up salvage when you're already on it? Does it occupy your hands or something?

It does, each 'Mech can only pick up one piece of salvage so if you want your lighter, faster units to have a chance to score some back-line field salvage they should save the close stuff for heavier units.

JackSplater posted:

I feel like I should point this out. PTN, will you always autopickup salvage for players or will you be needing it specified in the future?

I'd prefer it specified, for the reason above.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Hey, just a heads up; I thought the stormwolfs orders were to jump if there wasn't enough MP to get the cache ( I was having trouble reading elevation changes :( )

is there better phrasing I can use?

Edit: also, that makes a lot more sense. I was this torn between thinking the first piece of salvage was close/a trap and just going for a full circle, maybe counter-clockwise with funnelweb; his ability's neat but less op if he can't just run around getting all the loot.

Two things come to mind: The first If handedness/full hands or not is an issue, can you pass the lootball to a teammate?
The second is: comedy option, finding a lift loot hoist mech for funnelweb.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 5, 2022

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Battle Lance here.

I'll be chasing after Bulwark #1 while staying in Medium Range to keep their odds of hitting me low (especially with the forced re-rolls to hit me). With reasonable dice (never a guarantee, to be sure) the Bulwark should die this turn, and we can start worrying about those choppers coming in.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 9, 2022

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Command Lance, I am trying to end the bulwark #2 this turn and then plan to start falling back before the vtols and mechs can pincer me.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Galatea 3-3 Dustball (Assassination)

PTN’s note: Please forgive the lack of fluff today, I’m not feeling well and it was a struggle to get the update done mechanically. I’ll make it up next week, I promise!

Movement
Kheper
- Insufficient MP to reach hex 1024: Needs 7, has 5! Movement ends in hex 0825!

Black Knight
- [Combat Intuition] attacks JES III #2 (3 skill + 2 range + 1 TMM + 2 woods = 8): rolled 8, hit! 0/4 armor, 0/3 structure remaining! Vehicle destroyed!

Players
Command Lance
Black Knight
- [N/A]
Firestarter
PTN’s note: You don’t have to melee adjacent enemies, but you can. You do have to melee if you occupy the same hex.
- Attacks Bulwark #2 (3 skill + 0 range + 1 jumped + 1 TMM + 1 woods - 1 blood stalker = 5): rolled 6, hit! 0/8 armor, 4/5 structure remaining! Chance for motive system damage: rolled 4, no damage sustained!
- - Critical chance: rolled 7, no critical hit sustained!
Valkyrie
- Attacks Bulwark #2 (4 skill + 2 range + 1 jumped + 1 TMM + 1 woods = 9): rolled 6, missed!
Vindicator
- Attacks Bulwark #2 (4 skill + 0 range + 1 jumped + 1 TMM + 1 woods = 7): rolled 8, hit! 1/5 structure remaining!
- - Critical chance: rolled 5, Fire Control hit!

Cavalry Lance
Stormwolf Prime
- Attacks Thunderbolt (2 skill + 0 range + 2 jumping TMM - 1 blood stalker target = 3): rolled 3, hit! 4/7 armor remaining!
Mad Cat III
- Attacks Manticore II #4 (3 skill + 0 range + 1 TMM + 1 woods + 1 heat = 6): rolled 8, hit! 0/6 armor remaining! Chance for motive system damage: rolled 1, no damage sustained!
Jackalope #1
- Attacks Thunderbolt (4 skill + 2 range + 2 jumping TMM = 8): rolled 7, missed!
Jackalope #2
- Attacks Thunderbolt (4 skill + 0 range + 2 jumping TMM = 6): rolled 11, hit! 1/7 armor remaining!

Medium Battle Lance
Kheper
- Attacks Bulwark #1 (4 skill + 2 range + 1 TMM + 3 woods = 10): rolled 7, missed!
Shadow Hawk
- Attacks Bulwark #1! No Line of Sight to target!
Excalibur
Preta Caelestis

OpForce
Battle Lance
Thunderbolt
- Attacks Stormwolf Prime (4 base + 0 range + 3 TMM = 7): rolled 8, hit! 2/5 armor remaining!
Rawhide
- Holds fire!
JagerMech
- Attacks Jackalope #1 (4 base + 2 range + [5] jumping TMM = 11): rolled 9, missed!
Centurion OmniMech
- Attacks Stormwolf Prime (4 base + 0 range + 3 TMM = 7): rolled 6, missed!

Vehicle Lance #1
Manticore II #1
- Attacks Firestarter (4 skill + 0 range + 3 jumping TMM = 7): rolled 7, hit! 1/4 armor remaining!
Manticore II #2
- Attacks Kheper (4 skill + 2 range + 2 TMM + 2 woods = 10): rolled 7, missed!
Manticore II #3
- Attacks Firestarter (4 skill + 0 range + 3 jumping TMM = 7): rolled 8, hit! 0/4 armor, 1/3 structure remaining!
- - Critical chance: Rolled 6, weapon hit!
Manticore II #4
- Attacks Mad Cat III (4 skill + 0 range + 2 TMM + 1 woods = 7): rolled 9, hit! 2/5 armor remaining!

Vehicle Lance #2
Bulwark #1
- Attacks Kheper (4 skill + 2 range + 2 TMM + 2 woods = 10): rolled 12, hit!
- - Float like a Butterfly forces reroll: rolled 5, missed!
Bulwark #2
- Attacks Firestarter (4 skill + 0 range + 3 jumping TMM + 2 fire control damage = 9): rolled 6, missed!
JES III Missile Carrier (Speed) #2
- Destroyed in the movement phase!

VTOL Basic Fire Lance
Kamakiri Attack VTOL #1
- Attacks Mad Cat III (4 skill + 2 range + 2 TMM + 1 woods = 9): rolled 4, missed!
Kamakiri Attack VTOL #2
- Attacks Valkyrie (4 skill + 2 range + 3 jumping TMM + 1 woods = 10): rolled 12, hit! 1/4 armor remaining!
Kamakiri Attack VTOL #3
- Attacks Mad Cat III (4 skill + 2 range + 2 TMM + 2 woods = 10): rolled 8, missed!
Kamakiri Attack VTOL #4
- Attacks Jackalope #2 (4 skill + 0 range + [5] jumping TMM + 1 woods = 10): rolled 5, missed!

Objectives
Primary Objective(s)
- Destroy Bulwark Assault Vehicle #2 (0/1)

Bonus Objective(s)
- Destroy both Bulwark Assault Vehicles (0/2)
- Destroy the enemy Battle Lance (0/4)

Unpaid Objective(s)
- Withdraw as needed (0/12)

Mission Failure Objective
- Enemy Ground Combat Vehicles Successfully Retreated (0/6)

Player Status:

OpForce Status:

Loot Acquired
Field Barter:
Field Salvage: 1
Battle Salvage: 2 vehicle salvage chance
Potential Salvage Catalogue Entries: 1 random salvage chance

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Well, its still alive, dang it, I am evacuating the firestarter posthaste, and then going full spread on the bulwark to try to finish it off once more, its hanging by a thread, I just need to tap it

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

C'mon guys, you almost got it!

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

JNG, can you finish off the red bulwark this turn, or do I need to prioritize it with the mad cat? Don't forget about the c3 between the excalibur and preta too!

Krab, can you push up (not with the firestarter obvs)? I'm going to try to make the the mechs turn, so you get the juicy backshots. (generally). Or do i need to help you with the manticores? (also, don't forget about the vindicators sword. thing can hit exceedingly hard with a backshot while the TSM is on)

I'm gonna keep them busy long as i can, but you two need to clean up and move north! My hard hitter is still stuck in dealing with tanks on the left side.

Something I noticed for future turns: the vtols seem to have the same armor as the stormwolf: which means its vulnerable to physical attacks.

RFA – Unit takes half damage from enemies with the ENE or HT specials, receives double damage from physical attacks and attacks with the ART, BOMB, FLK, or MSL specials. Reduces all other attack damage by 1 (to a minimum of 1). Unit suffers critical damage more easily.

Also, what are firing arcs like for the vtols? Front 3 hexes mostly?

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Nov 10, 2022

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Airborne VTOLs did lose their invulnerability to physical attacks in Alpha Strike, but they still have to be flying low enough to be punchable. The Kamakiris are at height 7.

The presence of a player AeroSpace Fighter unit could force them to fly lower. That's one thing they can do instead of making a strafing run: force enemy VTOLs to fly low and take cover.

TheParadigm posted:

Also, what are firing arcs like for the vtols? Front 3 hexes mostly?

Same as any other unit that doesn't have a turret: draw a straight line along the back of the hex, anything in front of that line can be shot.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

TheParadigm posted:

JNG, can you finish off the red bulwark this turn, or do I need to prioritize it with the mad cat? Don't forget about the c3 between the excalibur and preta too!

I should, presuming I don't gently caress up LoS again this turn. :sigh:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Fyi I am down to two functional combat mechs, since the valkyrie ate a nice hit as well I plan to do a little safeish looting and fall back with it next turn

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

Fyi I am down to two functional combat mechs, since the valkyrie ate a nice hit as well I plan to do a little safeish looting and fall back with it next turn

Alright, yeah, I'll head back down to help. You might want to include some secondary targets: both jackalopes hitting in the rear might bring a manticore to 2/10, so slim possibilty to get both it and the bulwark this turn.

I'm (probably) short one point of damage on the thunderbolt this turn. Do you think you could have the valkyrie indirectly fire it?
The stormwolf (will have) a light tag in range so its less of a long range hail mary shot

(just so you can see what I'm doing, these are my orders.)

Dustball Assassination turn 3
movement

Mad cat to 0815 facing 0916

Stormwolf to 0907 facing 0908. (This should be possible with 10mp, but jump instead it isn't, please!) (1810 is 1 hex + 1 woods +2 elevation =4/10, 1809 is 1 hex + 1 elevation = 6/10, 1808 and 1908 are 1 hex each so =8/10, then 1907 is 1 hex and 1 elevation so 10/10)

Funnelweb/jackalope #1 to 1717 facing 1816
Impact/jackaope #2 jump to 1816 facing 1717

Shooting

Mad cat: Manticore Blue
backup: Bulwark orange > Indirect fire at thunderbolt orange > Manticore red

Stormwolf: Thunderbolt orange, light tag on thunderbolt orange to spot for indirect fire
Backup: Centurion blue > closest vtol

Jackalope 1: Manticore orange
Backup: Bulwark red > manticore green > closest valid target
Jackalope 2: Manticore orange
Backup: Bulwark red > manticore green > closest valid target

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Sounds good, I am having the vindicator get stuck in, pop up the tsm this turn via overheat and the black knight is continuing its advance

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Sounds good!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm missing orders, hopefully those will come in before I'm back from grocery shopping.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Do i need to submit some alternates just in case (and for whom if so? (i'd rather not steal someone's agency if they're not available, but update windows are what they are)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
If you could for JNG, I'd appreciate it.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

yeah one sec

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

jng substitute orders - dustball turn 3 - Medium battle lance -
these may not be the greatest, but they should turn out ok!!

Movement

Excalibur jump to 0620 facing 0720
Preta jump to 0820 facing 0819

Kheper run to 0722 facing 0721
Shadowhawk jump to 0418 facing 0417

shooting

Excalibur primary: bulwark orange (reroll miss with battle lance power please!)
backups: > manticore red > manticore blue > closest vtol >any valid

Preta primary: Bulwark orange
backups: manticore red >manticore blue > rawhide > closest vtol

Kheper primary: rawhide (reroll a miss please)
backups: bulwark orange >manticore red > closest vtol

Shadowhawk primary: rawhide
backups: closest valid

praying everything lands pmuch

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 16, 2022

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I can always tell when someone has figured out my ruleset's uniquely specific vulnerability and is exploiting it as hard as they possibly can.

The Paradigm is teaching a master-class in taking me apart this mission. :allears:

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I'm sorta shocked! I finangled my own orders and mulled it over for a while (and agonized over hanging the wolf out on a (carefully) calculated limb), uh, the alternates were fairly 'look at the map and snap decision based on going forward and what looks like open firing lines lines' and it just so happens that a lot of short range shots are also forests this turn around at jump ranges. it was very much a quick/winging it!
So, uh, i guess we'll see how it turns out! and it sounds like its well.

Also, this is the mission that's made me respect the manticore. its not actually bad, and being able to put out 3 damage at basically any range while taking a few hits is actually...

i'm not prepared to say -great-, but like, the bog standard other vehicles should get compared to?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
This is the Manticore II, but the OG Manticore isn't much worse (one less structure, one less point of long range damage; and long range is generally the least useful bracket).

The Manticore II's a really solid tank in standard play, it's a heavy PPC stapled to a targeting computer and a pair of enhanced LRM-10s for 1435 BV.

It's also amphibious, not that its ability to cross water hexes really applies on Dustball.

An interesting note in Alpha Strike: because any hit can deal motive damage, the vehicle crit table is actually far more forgiving than the 'Mech table. 'Mechs can dodge crits if they get lucky and roll a 5 or a 9, but tanks dodge critical damage on a 6, 7 or 8.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 17, 2022

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It's also worth about a million bajillion Kroner, thanks to the XXL engine. Pretty sure we build those things to sell to gullible tourists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

It's also worth about a million bajillion Kroner, thanks to the XXL engine. Pretty sure we build those things to sell to gullible tourists.

Factory Overrun on XXL engines