Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Sweeney's press conference is just making this more bizarre. He's like (paraphrased) "It's tough. If it was my kid, I don't know if I would be able to forgive him." Yes, exactly, so why the gently caress did you sign him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Twin Cinema posted:

The other day, Scott Wheeler said any player in the top-3 projected to be drafted in 2023 would be number-one locks in the past three drafts. Even Carlsson would have been in the conversation.

He also said he doesn't know if he'd rank Slafkovsky over the guys in the 5-8 range in 2023, but he was low on him to begin with.

he also made a rude comment about Simon Nemec and I hate him

but yeah Nemec has been a bit quiet to start the year in the AHL. I don't think he ever had the top end explosiveness that Luke Hughes has, but I wonder how long it will take him to start pumping out those outlet assists. If he struggles in his first AHL year the Devils might be scrambling a bit for a third pair RHD next year. There's no way they can extend Severson, some team is gonna pay him like 5m+ easy (probably more like 6m+) to be their #4.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I think it's partly that once a prospect is benighted as a 1st round talent it takes a long time and alot of failure for that to wash off, and party that these people running hockey teams (owners and hockey operations) genuinely don't believe that off-ice stuff matters and they will happily build a team of abusers if it moves the needle even slightly towards winning a few extra games. They also know that in alot of these markets large portions of the traditional media will have their back. The Oilers could sign a guy who just got out of prison for attempting to kidnap a little kid and if they won the cup the media would line up to hail it as the greatest signing in franchise history.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

And yet, we got a guy shilling for a mass murderer/war criminal and he gets celebrated almost every day on this thread....

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Wheeler has not been a very good judge of talent over his... entire career as a writer, he was able to get a lot of access early on by essentially working for free while his family paid his bills but his reputation wasn't earned by accuracy or insight. IMO he's a guy you want to go through the actual descriptions of players critically and read between the lines rather than pay attention to where he slots people.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

There's early hockey in 30 minutes btw. Colorado vs Columbus from Finland.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Sweeney's press conference is just making this more bizarre. He's like (paraphrased) "It's tough. If it was my kid, I don't know if I would be able to forgive him." Yes, exactly, so why the gently caress did you sign him?

this would be very funny if it wasn't oddly gross

https://twitter.com/smclaughlin9/status/1588583485979365379?s=20&t=NO0_ZwEwgyP9F2ZCbCzMUg

"I didn't want to do it but... what if he shoots pucks into the net?"

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Coming out and saying "Patrice Bergeron thought this was a bad idea but I did it anyway" is incredible

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm not watching, is Sweeney trying to hint someone made him do it?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jhet posted:

That's because no one in here spends much time watching the KHL.

I didn't mean ITT. There's a long-standing argument about whether to draft Russians high because of potential difficulties in signing them and over where they should develop. A lot of European prospects do struggle to adapt to North America for perfectly reasonable reasons, but I've never understood what the point of KHL teams giving their top prospects 5 mins/night is (instead of 20+ in the VHL/MHL) and they don't get much criticism for it even from prospect-obsessed weirdos.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Starsfan posted:

I think it's partly that once a prospect is benighted as a 1st round talent it takes a long time and alot of failure for that to wash off, and party that these people running hockey teams (owners and hockey operations) genuinely don't believe that off-ice stuff matters and they will happily build a team of abusers if it moves the needle even slightly towards winning a few extra games. They also know that in alot of these markets large portions of the traditional media will have their back. The Oilers could sign a guy who just got out of prison for attempting to kidnap a little kid and if they won the cup the media would line up to hail it as the greatest signing in franchise history.

You don't need to invent a story when we could just talk about the Stars retiring Sergei Zubov's number last season.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

ImplicitAssembler posted:

And yet, we got a guy shilling for a mass murderer/war criminal and he gets celebrated almost every day on this thread....

Yeah we had the Jagr/Reagan thing yesterday.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Like, can someone tell me a team that isn't run by shitheads that will hire shitheads or relate themselves to them? Cause I'm not sure there is one.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

When even the team's own leadership group is asking, "why?"

Wooooof

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Imagine going to Patrice Bergeron, who has the Patrice's Pals program that raises money to support services for disabled kids and brings them to games, the guy who made a vocal statement about the George Floyd murder about being a better ally and combating racism, a guy who donated thousands of dollars to the NAACP, and telling him you're thinking of signing a guy who bullied a black, disabled, kid so much that the was convicted in court, and Bergeron asks you "Why?" - and then you sign him anyway.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Isn't Marchand also pretty vocal about all that stuff too?

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Why even do this poo poo when your team is absolutely rolling with one of their best starts ever?

“Boys are 10-1, let’s see how they handle a little adversity”

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

You don't need to invent a story when we could just talk about the Stars retiring Sergei Zubov's number last season.

I referenced the Edmonton media because I live in Edmonton and I'm inundated by it every day.. not excusing Dallas for their lovely decisions of the past (Mike Ribeiro stands in the forefront in my mind).

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Yeah unless something has happened in the last year that wasn't reported that Sweeney knows something about, he hasn't really taken responsibility for it other than what the court made him do.

But he's a 60 point season away from being a good person.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

eXXon posted:

I didn't mean ITT. There's a long-standing argument about whether to draft Russians high because of potential difficulties in signing them and over where they should develop. A lot of European prospects do struggle to adapt to North America for perfectly reasonable reasons, but I've never understood what the point of KHL teams giving their top prospects 5 mins/night is (instead of 20+ in the VHL/MHL) and they don't get much criticism for it even from prospect-obsessed weirdos.

Prospect guys bitch all the time about it. Usually from individual team writeups where they get into the team's 12th best prospect or something. The national coverage doesn't bother with talking about it since a) it's a known issue and there nothing anyone can do about it b) there's no content in writing "dude was cool at the Hlinka, but he's played 10 minutes since then so who knows" every month.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
I'd be shocked if he doesn't get claimed, he made a huge impact in the offseason last year
https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/1588595873616797696

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

fermun posted:

I'd be shocked if he doesn't get claimed, he made a huge impact in the offseason last year

I'm sure if noone else does the Avalanche would love to have him back on their 4th line right about now.

*huh, had no idea he was from Slave Lake... just assumed he was a Quebec boy cause of the name

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

T-Bone posted:

he also made a rude comment about Simon Nemec and I hate him

but yeah Nemec has been a bit quiet to start the year in the AHL. I don't think he ever had the top end explosiveness that Luke Hughes has, but I wonder how long it will take him to start pumping out those outlet assists. If he struggles in his first AHL year the Devils might be scrambling a bit for a third pair RHD next year. There's no way they can extend Severson, some team is gonna pay him like 5m+ easy (probably more like 6m+) to be their #4.

Have you read negative reports on Nemec? It's not like you can really tell how well a Dman is playing just by looking at points or +/-

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

fermun posted:

Which kind(s) of people does he hate?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Which kind(s) of people does he hate?

Torontonians

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
another embarrassing effort from the blues. armstrong was interviewed in the athletic and he left the door cracked open to a rebuild, so it would be great if the blues kept sucking total rear end to force his hand

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Misanthrope posted:

Yeah unless something has happened in the last year that wasn't reported that Sweeney knows something about, he hasn't really taken responsibility for it other than what the court made him do.

But he's a 60 point season away from being a good person.

Even if he did take responsibility and try to make amends, I don't think an NHL career should be in the cards for someone who did what he did.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
According to the bullied kid's mom, the only thing he did was try to send him an Instagram DM to apologize. Basically the equivalent of apologizing over text.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

This all worked out great for Miller who now doesn't have to play for the Coyotes and got to pick where to go! What a sensationally awful league.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Pretty much everyone has an equation for how good/important a player is versus how bad of a person they are. Yeah as someone mentioned, pretty much everybody here likes Ovechkin despite the Putin support and steroids because he's such a nasty sniper. I hate him for different reasons (plays Oligarch hockey instead of Soviet hockey), but to each their own. I think what's really shocking is that the Bruins' equation is all the stuff that guy did versus...39g as an over-ager defenseman at age 20 in the USHL? Pretty good season but you'd think that'd be in the Virtanen camp of "not really worth the risk" compared to all of Calgary going "How young is 14 really?" with Doug Gilmour after watching Edmonton win 4 cups in the 80s.

My personal equation is how many points Kaner has at the deadline versus how many more cabbies he attacks. Really hoping it's 0 on the latter.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

According to the bullied kid's mom, the only thing he did was try to send him an Instagram DM to apologize. Basically the equivalent of apologizing over text.

he also sent an edible arrangement but, well. the trust is long gone, needless to say

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

mcmagic posted:

Have you read negative reports on Nemec? It's not like you can really tell how well a Dman is playing just by looking at points or +/-

eh really just the Wheeler thing to be honest, and even that was very mild and unsubstantiated -- I haven't heard much else. There are some people who watch Utica who says he is looking solid, if not flashy/explosive.

This is from a dude who watches a lot of Utica:

quote:

Nemec is getting a lot of ice time. He is paired with a steady LHD in Tyler Wotherspoon at even strength. He quarterbacks the 2nd PK unit which features two defensemen but Robbie Russo takes the position of a one time shot option from the left circle while Nemec is at the blue line. He is also getting time on the PK.

Nothing really jumps out at me watching him play but nothing really jumps out at me in a negative way either which is a complement for an 18 year old rookie playing in his first professional North American league. If I didn't know before hand he was an 18 year old kid, I would not have guessed it base on his play.

Last night he made some nice subtle plays with his stick and skates in the defensive zone but I really didn't see him drive the offense either which is what people are expecting to see from such a high draft choice. He needs time. A very young kid a long way from home playing against much older players.

e: The thing with Nemec is a lot of people were pumping him up because his production was so nuts for a very young d-man in the Slovakian top league. So there's going to be some sweating if that same (or some equivalent) production doesn't happen in the AHL.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 4, 2022

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Jamwad Hilder posted:

To be fair, this was also the extent of the NHLs investigation into Ian Cole’s grooming allegations

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Koopa Kid posted:

Wheeler has not been a very good judge of talent over his... entire career as a writer, he was able to get a lot of access early on by essentially working for free while his family paid his bills but his reputation wasn't earned by accuracy or insight. IMO he's a guy you want to go through the actual descriptions of players critically and read between the lines rather than pay attention to where he slots people.

To be fair, I don't read past the first few spots that anyone writes. Its a combination of no one being able to predict a draft, pre-draft evaluations becoming outdated quickly, and also me not caring. Once they become Leafs prospects, though...

When I read Wheeler, it's more of a curiosity than me taking everything he says as gospel.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Starsfan posted:

I referenced the Edmonton media because I live in Edmonton and I'm inundated by it every day.. not excusing Dallas for their lovely decisions of the past (Mike Ribeiro stands in the forefront in my mind).

I didn't reference Ribeiro cause you can at least make the case it was a long time ago versus Zubov being honoured and fellated 10 months ago.

I can't think of any media in the league that doesn't vouch for their home team guys (which really fuckin sucks). Gilmour is still feted in Toronto constantly (where I live) and EVERYONE knows what he did. The Oilers media (not bloggers but others) stayed silent on Kane. It was actually surprising they poo poo all over the Virtanen thing, but I really doubt they would have had he been someone worth playing.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

To be fair, I don't read past the first few spots that anyone writes. Its a combination of no one being able to predict a draft, pre-draft evaluations becoming outdated quickly, and also me not caring. Once they become Leafs prospects, though...

When I read Wheeler, it's more of a curiosity than me taking everything he says as gospel.

For sure, I'm not out here reading up on Minnesota Wild prospects in detail for my own edification, I'm just saying when Wheeler makes broad pronouncements comparing draft years or where he slots guys I don't take a lot of that very seriously, his most valuable stuff is in parsing how he describes prospects individually and then coming to your own conclusions on that.

fermun posted:

NAK just looked weirdly lost, he was constantly a step behind in every zone, not attaching/switching quickly enough defending, and he doesn't exactly have a lot of offensive prowess to fall back on. If he clears maybe spending some time with the Marlies would help him acclimate to what's asked of the Leafs forwards but I'm guessing odds are he's just gone.

I'm assuming this is partially a cap move to get Liljegren activated as well.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
It cracks me up that Ovie gets flak for the Putin stuff and Panarin skates scott free for his support of a crypto-nazi.

But that aligns with the last 70 years of western history so it makes sense.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

what, panarin loves elon?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Koopa Kid posted:

For sure, I'm not out here reading up on Minnesota Wild prospects in detail for my own edification, I'm just saying when Wheeler makes broad pronouncements comparing draft years or where he slots guys I don't take a lot of that very seriously, his most valuable stuff is in parsing how he describes prospects individually and then coming to your own conclusions on that.

You could save your time and just read the Minnesota high school hockey highlights twice a month. It's pretty easy to see who's likely to get drafted and who's possibly capable of going in the first round. It's not worth the time though really because drafting is a gamble even in the first round. So unless you're trying to sell add space most people don't really need to care. You're right about reading about the big positives and negatives being more useful than trying to guess what order they're going to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
So did anyone have Erik Karlsson being #2 in goals scored on their bingo card at this point? Dude is finally earning his ridiculous paycheck.