Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Escape From Noise posted:

If nothing else I don't think I'm going to get in trouble for it really. I'm sure people aren't going to be thrilled but I doubt I'll be punished. I guess we'll see.

One time I got a bad passdown and ran a 12 panel work order for G-band RF transmitters on the program for A-band on the second side. I didn't get in trouble because they could switch the order from G to A and then just generate a new G order, but, uh... 4 parts had to be removed and 2 added from one side, 3 removed and 4 added on the other, 20 boards per panel, 12 panels. The techs were loving pissed at me, and rightly so.

edit:

That's the scale of the parts that had to be added and removed. First side is wide open, the second side of those boards is two of those shields. Having to deal with that on a large scale to not just throw away a whole work order is infuriating, glad they didn't get too mad at me (except for the people who had to do it because it's their job lol)

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Why the poo poo does that vacuum pump let you accidentally put liquid in the wrong bit of it?

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Same reason CNC machines let you crash the spindle into the table

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Salami Surgeon posted:

Same reason CNC machines let you crash the spindle into the table

lol if only there was an :industry: smilie

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

goatface posted:

Why the poo poo does that vacuum pump let you accidentally put liquid in the wrong bit of it?

It's definitely not the best setup. I was supposed to detach certain hoses during the CIP. I did, but thought I was supposed to have it run attached for a bit

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
:grovertoot: but with the jaggy roof generic industry building icon

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I'm in a huge pissing match with an entire group of engineers at work. This one sub-assembly always comes to me with defective threaded holes, they're too small and the bolts won't thread in properly. It's part of a very difficult install, and when we caught it by trying to put it together we burned over 100 man hours, me, my techs, and a pretty senior engineer, taking all the poo poo back apart, repairing it and remounting it. This pissed me off, so I've been having the engineers add a step to check it out well before it needs to go on, it's always defective, but it's about a 6 hour job to pull inserts, re-tap all the threads and reinstall inserts, if you do it before installation.

"Elviscat says we need to check it" has coincidentally worked so far, but isn't exactly a formal, codified process, so I've been bugging the engineers in charge of the manufacturing process for the sub-component to add a step in to verify the threads just prior to sending it over to us, and they're just hilariously resistant to taking ten minutes to add a step.

They keep going "we check those threads at an earlier step!" Like that might be true, but they're hosed up when they get to me, I don't know if your dudes don't know how to use a thread gage and think that threading in half a turn and siezing up means it's good or what, I just want that poo poo to be correct when I get it.

Quality is up their rear end about it, so they'll be forced to do it eventually, one engineer asked if I removed the threaded insert before thread gaging and tapping, and that was a hard one to respond to in a professional manner.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Are the parts a high nickel alloy?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Uh, yes.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Have you tried self-sealing stem bolts?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Don't know what those are, but sounds like I could turn a tidy profit with a load of them.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Tarkus posted:

Are the parts a high nickel alloy?

Or is the supplier using a hosed up thread mill instead of a tap?

I had to scrap a Case for a jet engine compressor at my last job because a toolsetter hosed up the threadmill and 2 of 50 threaded holes were oversized.

We didn't have room for a twinsert and the oversizing was too extend to use an oversized helicoil.

50k in the shitter.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

They may need to get oversize (but still in size) taps or tap drill to max of standard. Or they could be using the wrong cutting geometry for the taps. High Nickel alloys like Inconel like to shrink around a tap because the tap is only pushing the material away from it, not cutting it completely. Emuge makes excellent taps for exactly that purpose and are worth the extra price.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Chit chat with a coworker

Him: "Did you get your flu shot the other day when they were here?"
Me: "No I had already gotten one at Walgreens"
"I didn't get one. I never get one. My wife gets one every year, and guess what she gets every year: the flu. I think the shot just gives you the flu."

Last month's mandatory training course was about immuizations.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I ended up asking my COO to extend my WFH through the end of the year and he agreed, so at least thats bought me some more time to get an exit plan. Got an email today also about the CEO who was ousted, the President is now also the CEO. Not a word about the CIO or the compliance guy, lol

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Tarkus posted:

They may need to get oversize (but still in size) taps or tap drill to max of standard. Or they could be using the wrong cutting geometry for the taps. High Nickel alloys like Inconel like to shrink around a tap because the tap is only pushing the material away from it, not cutting it completely. Emuge makes excellent taps for exactly that purpose and are worth the extra price.

I do wonder over what timeframe the holes shrink back up, or if some later part of the process does enough thermally or mechanically to stress relieve the threads and cause them to grow slightly. Or they do the hole pattern, then hog the poo poo out of something nearby and the holes go slightly oval due to cutting forces.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Salami Surgeon posted:

Chit chat with a coworker

Him: "Did you get your flu shot the other day when they were here?"
Me: "No I had already gotten one at Walgreens"
"I didn't get one. I never get one. My wife gets one every year, and guess what she gets every year: the flu. I think the shot just gives you the flu."

Last month's mandatory training course was about immuizations.

Heh. In college I was in a full 15 passenger van with the ecology/evolution professor driving us to a swamp to count critters.

On the way he asked us if we had gotten our flu shots and to rile him up I said 'no man, I'm not trying to catch autism' and I could see his knuckles whitening and his forehead vein pulse as he prepared to respond to that lol

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Your jobs sounds way more hands on and important than any poo poo i do. Zoom, Word, and emails baby!

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Shithouse Dave posted:

My joint filled our millionth can yesterday! :toot:

Also our packaging wizard/assistant brewer tried to stack two steamin hot 700-odd-kg spent grain bins for collection and ended up tipping the top one right over, which meant shoveling all of that fuckin soggy grain back in the bin and cleaning up the outdoor drain during service, while also managing the brew in the kettle. Never trust a Friday, folks.

You haven't lived until you've seen a spent grain silo fail and have to have a dozen brewers shovel it up during a Chicago February.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Also grats on the millionth can :toot:

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Shithouse Dave posted:

My joint filled our millionth can yesterday! :toot:

Also our packaging wizard/assistant brewer tried to stack two steamin hot 700-odd-kg spent grain bins for collection and ended up tipping the top one right over, which meant shoveling all of that fuckin soggy grain back in the bin and cleaning up the outdoor drain during service, while also managing the brew in the kettle. Never trust a Friday, folks.

drat! Missed this post! Gratz!

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I do wonder over what timeframe the holes shrink back up, or if some later part of the process does enough thermally or mechanically to stress relieve the threads and cause them to grow slightly. Or they do the hole pattern, then hog the poo poo out of something nearby and the holes go slightly oval due to cutting forces.

Here's a question (not directed to you but the OP). Are the screws you're trying to insert also a high-nickel alloy or stainless in general? if so, do they put anti-seize spray/goop in them? The screws could be galling up right when you insert them. Because the materials don't oxidize much, even a bit of friction between them can cause them to weld together slightly. The act of re-tapping them could introduce a layer of gunk from tapping compound. In order for the holes to actually shrink or go oval sufficiently they'd have to be in a tube or something very thin. Inconel can move a fair amount but not that much.

Also, another reason I think that it could be the screws is the fact that you say they check them. Thread gages are made with hardened tool steel and thus won't usually stick to stainless especially directly after manufacture when there is still oils in the threads.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Engineering should probably be on that.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Monday I got invited to a Kickoff meeting for a new project involving the top 25 lagging suppliers in our business unit because one of mine was identified as such. The actual parameters of what constituted a top 25 miss changed three times during the meeting to the point where mine fell off the list. Then after the call it was back on. We had to have a presentation ready for the next day based on a template. We weren't told where we were supposed to source half the information and then about five minutes in someone pointed out it was the old version of the slide and we had to redo everything. Then Wednesday we were tasked with completing a five page presentation instead of the one page presentation, but not told where to load it and again, no idea where the data was supposed to come from. Also the executive that oversees my team has repeatedly stated no one should spend time on this until he has a chance to figure out what's happening but also the executive who started the initiative has said we have to put our presentations together. All this in the name of improving supply chain efficiency.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Salami Surgeon posted:

We're trying to test some janky piece of poo poo component that really isn't the right technology for this application. OK, whatever, not my call. I get the component ready for test, meticulously set it up correctly, reinforce it so that it won't break under test and will survive shipping and installation at the customer for their testing.

Test doesn't work. Hmm what could be the problem? "Take it apart so that we know you set it up correctly."

Pull it all apart. Verify everything is 100% correct. Change nothing. Test it again.

"Wow it works this time! Oh also between the time it failed test and when you took it apart, we tested it again and it operated correctly but we just didn't bother to look at the results until now."

Boss says the data we collected is good, but he's concerned that the component's internal temperature compensation for it's electronics may cause the customer to see erratic readings.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Should be okay as long as they aren't seeing erotic readings.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Tarkus posted:

Here's a question (not directed to you but the OP). Are the screws you're trying to insert also a high-nickel alloy or stainless in general? if so, do they put anti-seize spray/goop in them? The screws could be galling up right when you insert them. Because the materials don't oxidize much, even a bit of friction between them can cause them to weld together slightly. The act of re-tapping them could introduce a layer of gunk from tapping compound. In order for the holes to actually shrink or go oval sufficiently they'd have to be in a tube or something very thin. Inconel can move a fair amount but not that much.

Also, another reason I think that it could be the screws is the fact that you say they check them. Thread gages are made with hardened tool steel and thus won't usually stick to stainless especially directly after manufacture when there is still oils in the threads.

So, when you first replied I was really worried that you were someone on the e-mail chain.

If it was galling, I would know.

The holes and fasteners are high strength nickel alloy, the threaded inserts are CRES, exactly for the galling reason. Thread lubrication is applied to all fasteners.

The threads, I believe, are single-point formed, not tapped. When I run a tap through them I only cut the first ~1/3 of the thread, then the tap runs pretty much free, so I think maybe their program's hosed up and tapping a somewhat conical hole.

There are thousands of nearly identical interfaces on our product, inco into CRES into inco, the others give us problems pretty frequently, for various reasons, but these ones give me problems 100% of the time.

The threads are checked a hood while after machining, I checked and there's no further heat cycling or anything that would effect the base material. My suspicion, tbh, is our inspectors are being lazy and not threading the go/no-go thread gage in past the first tapered thread, since they have to inspect hundreds of holes a day, and threading it in and out all the way properly is tedious. I've run into a ton more (isolated) cases of bolt won't thread->pull insert->gage parent threads, too small->tap and replace and everything works beautifully.

It's hard to isolate the problem, since the threaded inserts we use are trash, the tools to install them are cheap and break constantly, and the technicians like to gently caress them up by coming up with cool new ideas like trying to break the tang off with pliers instead of a punch because they don't tell me when those lovely punches break.

If Inco actually shrinks several days after machining (and thus after post-machining inspections) I'll have to find some way to repay you for the millions of dollars you just saved my company, but I have the feeling you mean that it springs back immediately post-machining.

If you want to know any more specifics I'd genuinely love to talk about it over PMs, but I'm at my personal limit for technical detail shared publicly.

E: not that machining nickel based alloys is some crazy proprietary technology, just I-m linking myself to a work email chain that's spiraling up the company.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 4, 2022

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Elviscat posted:

So, when you first replied I was really worried that you were someone on the e-mail chain.

My ongoing nightmare whenever I post ITT

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

There are benefits to being the only person under 50 in an organization.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

RocketMermaid posted:

You haven't lived until you've seen a spent grain silo fail and have to have a dozen brewers shovel it up during a Chicago February.

What about watching an Amazon truck drive the trailer away from the dock, fully loaded, with the back door still open?

During Holiday Peak?

In the rain?

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Alkydere posted:

What about watching an Amazon truck drive the trailer away from the dock, fully loaded, with the back door still open?

During Holiday Peak?

In the rain?

The Aristocrats!

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Probably the worst snafu I've ever had to clean up was when I was brewing in Denmark (this is a common refrain in my brewery horror stories, I know), when the guy I was taking over for was forklifting a pallet of bottles into the bottling area... and clipped the bottom corner against the garage door just enough to rip a hole in the plastic big enough for every single bottle to fall out of. We spent probably a full minute just watching this thing collapse and spew bottle after bottle after bottle on the concrete floor before it stopped and we went, "welp, guess we better get a shovel and a trash bin".

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Been there, seen that kind of mess. Even as a non-drinker it's sad to watch.

Was perhaps even sadder when I saw it because it was in a Walmart that was rushing to get their new beer display together. They were going to be the first retailer in a college town (Lubbock) to sell alcohol after the college students voted to get rid of the dry county laws. Only for the Walmart workers to over-load the shelving unit and have half of their planned display come crashing down in a shower of beer and glass.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My former boss is being paid somewhere around 800,000 usd a year to move back to his home country and attend one meeting a month to confirm they don't need him to do anything until 2024 at the earliest.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
We're moving from our lovely old office building to a shiny new one. The official move date for everyone is the 14th, and we've been told to make sure our cubicles are cleaned out and all personal stuff gone by next Thursday since Friday is a holiday. Cool, great, good, because other than a nice view from the 9th floor where I sit, the building is an absolute dumpster. The water comes out of the faucets brownish and sometimes with chunks in it, and in the 17 years I've worked there they have never once cleaned the air ducts that I know of. Also there is no hot water in the bathrooms, except somehow they managed to pipe hot water into one of the toilets on the top floor :psyduck:

Anyway, last week my manager asks if any of us would be willing to go to the new building early (next week) to make sure the network is functioning. I say sure why not. Yesterday I get told "uh, hey, I know tomorrow is WFH day for you, but can you go into the new office tomorrow? Come into the old one, pack up all your stuff and take it over." Eh, ok, whatevs. Everyone else gets their stuff moved for them but other than the very large monitor I have nothing is particularly unwieldy so I'm not super put out. Get some critical work done this morning from the old office, then spend about 45 minutes completely cleaning out my cubicle including all the cables and UPS, plus my personal coffee pot and loading up my car via a cart. Get to the new building. The one we're currently in has a multistory parking garage attached to the building, the new place just has a very large parking lot. So loading the car was easy, but unloading it would not be. Also the parking lot accesses the building via a set of stairs unless you park in the handicapped spaces. There's a loading dock, but it's elevated for a semi truck and not a personal vehicle. There's a side drive leading to the loading dock and an employee entrance there, but also accessed by stairs.

I take my laptop bag up with me and dump that in my new cubicle on the 4th floor. Then go move my car from the lot to the side entrance, go back upstairs and get the tiny lovely cart they sent over and take it down the elevator to where the car is parked and start loading it. This side entrance doesn't have the powered doors the main entrance does so I have to juggle a 32" curved monitor as I get the door open. Plus it's too big for the cart to place on its side so I have to stand it up and worry about keeping it from falling off while pushing the cart. After I get the rest of the poo poo on the cart, take it back upstairs to my cubicle, then go downstairs again to move my car back to the main lot. Once all that's done then I have to plug in the UPS, all the cords and cables and finally get everything hooked up. What I thought would take about 20 minutes has now taken an hour.

Finally, I get logged on and I can't access our software application that it's my job to work in and troubleshoot for the agency. I can get in the production version, but not the testing region and we have a major testing thing going on Monday so I'm supposed to be setting up files in there. So I IM my boss "Hey I can't get into the system." Get told to put in a ticket. I call the help desk, the guy remotes in tries a few things and then says "ok, well let me get you over to [system] support" I tell the dude I am Pagliacci [system] support. "Oh. Well I'll send it over to networking then." I let him know I'm going to lunch because it's now after 1 and I have to run system batches all afternoon so please put on the ticket to contact me after 2:30.

When I get back the only other person in the office tells me they know the network is broken and a ticket was put in several days ago, and I can probably access the testing region through our VPN. But I can't. I get back into our group chat, and my manager says "so since you can't get in and this is a known issue they should have told me about before I asked you to go over there, just go home and finish out the day there and then don't come in next week at all unless we get confirmation that it's fixed." Some consolation I guess, but congrats to the IT team that said "sure, go ahead and send someone over" when it was known the network was hosed up. I guess we're hooked up to the wrong VLAN so we don't have the security clearance to access our testing region. It's extra hilarious because I can access production with no issue, that has real people's sensitive info but not the version where everything is made up. Woo!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Thesaurus posted:

Your jobs sounds way more hands on and important than any poo poo i do. Zoom, Word, and emails baby!

I can't do the computer toucher/WFH poo poo, not my bag. I like playing with robots and hot irons and filling machines and chemo drugs and industrial ovens and poo poo. Soon enough if things work out I'll be sorta computer touching, but those computers will be PLCs and I'll be doping and growing silicon crystals.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I have two brew this month and maybe two kegging days depending on how the dark strong goes.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Barudak posted:

My former boss is being paid somewhere around 800,000 usd a year to move back to his home country and attend one meeting a month to confirm they don't need him to do anything until 2024 at the earliest.

I want to come work for the company that makes billions of dollars and forces their employees to not work

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Dumb poo poo your work does: hole too tight, tap deeper for proper screw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Freaquency posted:

I want to come work for the company that makes billions of dollars and forces their employees to not work

Im getting pressure because I haven't taken enough vacation yet to hit targets and HR is begging me to just call in sick a few more times if I don't want to plan a trip. This isn't a bank thing where it needs to be two weeks contiguous, either.

Edit: I'm in process of closing my last open role, sorry.