Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions! I have 700x41 tires.

Edit:
I got on of those little under seat bags that can fit a tube and all that, it's great. The issue is that I want to ride places and lock my bike up, do people just end up transitioning to backpacks when parking around town so their stuff just doesn't get stolen off their bikes?

Hotbod Handsomeface fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Nov 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I parked my bike all over manhattan with a little under-seat bag with a patch kit and CO2 in it, and nobody every messed with it. Maybe I got lucky? It also doesn't exactly look valuable.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

w4ddl3d33 posted:

can i be a little baby in here for a second? i'm 20, i just learned to ride a bike last week, and today not only did i do my first 10 mile cycle, i also bought my very own bike so i don't have to borrow one anymore. this poo poo goes so hard
:hf:

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I bought a big sachet of unflavoured electrolytes from Bulk Powders that I add to whatever drinks I want.

mind sharing a link? and how's the taste when mixed with plain water?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Dunno if anyone was intrigued by the Surly Corner Bars but was put off by the weight, but a knockoff has cropped up on AliExpress:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803892892709.html
AE is running their 11.11 holiday sale, so the sale price is $77. Cheaper than the Corner Bars and over 1lb lighter.
As to how well it'll hold up, who knows.

That is the cheapest variant of ZNIINO's listings, but here's a better size chart:

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
I ordered the Lakes through Competitive Cyclist because of their easy returns. I called and mentioned that they looked defective and they waived the return shipping fee and are expediting another pair out before I even sent the other pair back.

A local dealer for Lake said they don't stock anything above 48 and that I'd be stuck with the shoes or having to order another pair through them if I special ordered them and ended up not liking them or they didn't fit well. If I ordered from Lake themselves, I would have had to pay full cost for return shipping, which I imagine would have been stupidly expensive.

Hopefully this next pair looks better.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Not a directly comparable data point, but here's my white Lake CX217s, with a couple hundred miles on them (I went to full custom right after I got these):
https://imgur.com/a/v5Uxmpm

Seems to me like the biggest difference is that the leather is cut more cleanly and at a consistent distance from the stitching.
That one frayed part on the heel -- that's where I use the other shoe to pull the heel cup off my foot.

These seem about the same as my MX237s, but those are in black and obviously details don't stand out as much.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Not a directly comparable data point, but here's my white Lake CX217s, with a couple hundred miles on them (I went to full custom right after I got these):
https://imgur.com/a/v5Uxmpm

Seems to me like the biggest difference is that the leather is cut more cleanly and at a consistent distance from the stitching.
That one frayed part on the heel -- that's where I use the other shoe to pull the heel cup off my foot.

These seem about the same as my MX237s, but those are in black and obviously details don't stand out as much.

Thanks for the photos. Definitely looks like whatever die was used to cut the leather was at the end of its life.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Lex Neville posted:

mind sharing a link? and how's the taste when mixed with plain water?

I think it was this stuff. I’m not sure if it’s the ideal mix of electrolytes but it works for me!

https://www.bulk.com/uk/electrolyte-powder.html

With plain water it tastes salty with a slightly strange aftertaste. If you’ve ever had sodium citrate or rehydration medicine, kinda like that.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Dunno if anyone was intrigued by the Surly Corner Bars but was put off by the weight, but a knockoff has cropped up on AliExpress:
AE is running their 11.11 holiday sale, so the sale price is $77. Cheaper than the Corner Bars and over 1lb lighter.

That is the cheapest variant of ZNIINO's listings, but here's a better size chart:

I shan't be buying ali express handlebars

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I think it was this stuff. I’m not sure if it’s the ideal mix of electrolytes but it works for me!

https://www.bulk.com/uk/electrolyte-powder.html

With plain water it tastes salty with a slightly strange aftertaste. If you’ve ever had sodium citrate or rehydration medicine, kinda like that.

I guessed so. Thanks! That mix gets quite a few harsh reviews for its taste, but I'll give it a shot. Glad I remembered you posted about this recently :)

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 2, 2022

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

PolishPandaBear posted:

I ordered the Lakes through Competitive Cyclist because of their easy returns. I called and mentioned that they looked defective and they waived the return shipping fee and are expediting another pair out before I even sent the other pair back.

A local dealer for Lake said they don't stock anything above 48 and that I'd be stuck with the shoes or having to order another pair through them if I special ordered them and ended up not liking them or they didn't fit well. If I ordered from Lake themselves, I would have had to pay full cost for return shipping, which I imagine would have been stupidly expensive.

Hopefully this next pair looks better.

If you have a USA address, any shoes ordered directly from Lake get sent out from their US office…and subsequently can be returned to the US office.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

TobinHatesYou posted:

If you have a USA address, any shoes ordered directly from Lake get sent out from their US office…and subsequently can be returned to the US office.

From LA to Chicago it was:

$20 for USPS Ground
$28 for FedEx Ground
$32 for UPS Ground

Not international shipping stupid expensive, but I still wasn't going to pay $30 if I had to return a pair of shoes.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
is there a goon club on strava???

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

https://www.strava.com/clubs/sa-goons

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Also https://www.strava.com/clubs/team-bear-pope

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Hotbod Handsomeface posted:

Thanks for the suggestions! I have 700x41 tires.

Edit:
I got on of those little under seat bags that can fit a tube and all that, it's great. The issue is that I want to ride places and lock my bike up, do people just end up transitioning to backpacks when parking around town so their stuff just doesn't get stolen off their bikes?
ive had an SKS fender stolen, a nite rider light stolen (that one really pissed me off but i should have known better), and caught a junkie trying to unzip my little saddle bag once to steal a tube? but i caught him in the act and he was like "uhhh just checking if its secure" lol. ive also had an entire bike stolen too lmao because i parked it in the worst possible spot you could find in the lower east side of vancouver and someone took and angle grinder to the lock. i did get the bike back though so i can laugh about it instead of feeling like a total dummy. the moral of the story is park it in a good location, where you can see it, bring it in if you can, and dont leave anything on your bike you don't want to lose.

i did some courier work one summer and i used my garmin to strava it but attached it with a zap strap so no one could so simply steal it while i waited in line in the bank.

i definitely dont leave my lights on my bike any more, but the cost benefit of taking off my sks fender or rear end saver just isnt worth it imo. saddle bag is kind of a pain to take off and usually people dont gently caress with those cause a tub is worth like $5 or whatever so i just leave that on too. i would never leave my bike parked outside overnight.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
That's crazy to me. It was such a pain in the rear end to get my sks fenders on, I can only imagine it would be just as annoying to take them off. Plus they might be the least expensive part on the bike. Like the brake pads and the chain and cables maybe cost less.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

this is just like an sks blade style fender, not anything that takes effort to attach, but i still just leave it on whilst parked

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

Excuse my ignorance but what is that purpose of them being flared out that way?

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

There's a bunch of people at the top of the leaderboard who are in like 5000+ groups, so not sure how many of the members are actually goons

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Excuse my ignorance but what is that purpose of them being flared out that way?

They’re meant to offer a drop hand position while mounting mtb shifter and brake hardware. The flare i tries to give you some of the width and leverage you want for more demanding terrain while still keeping a narrower, more efficient feeling posture up top.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Heliosicle posted:

There's a bunch of people at the top of the leaderboard who are in like 5000+ groups, so not sure how many of the members are actually goons
Yeah that group needs a clean-out.

Shastahanshah
Sep 12, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One of my tires has been deflating slowly and none of the stuff I've tried to find the hole has worked.

I can get a new one, but it feels like a waste 'cause I've got all the stuff to repair it anyways.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Shastahanshah posted:

One of my tires has been deflating slowly and none of the stuff I've tried to find the hole has worked.

I can get a new one, but it feels like a waste 'cause I've got all the stuff to repair it anyways.

Partially inflate the tube and dunk it in a tub or bucket, then look for escaping air bubbles. Don’t forget to check the valve stem itself for leaks.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Shastahanshah posted:

go tubeless and always have your tires be deflating slowly so you can swear when you've misplaced your floor pump for the 50th time

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I have once again survived Weis MFG having build slots open without doing bad things to my bank account or retirement fund or kid's college fund for the sake of a dream bike.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Waste of Breath posted:

go tubeless and always have your tires be deflating slowly so you can swear when you've misplaced your floor pump for the 50th time

people say this a lot but my tubeless setup holds pressure more than tubes ever did

terravail ramparts with orange seal classic on hunt all roads

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
not to be emo on the forums but i didn't realise how therapeutic riding a bike could be until i learned to do it. i've gone on a few midnight bike rides after night shifts and it's such a good way to let off steam. i'm on trt so when i get emotional i can't cry, so what i've been doing is riding downhill so the wind gets in my face and my eyes water and i can let it all out. shout out 2 bike's

anyway today i did a twelve mile ride in the rain and i felt like bridget jones if she was a strava user

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

bikes are :blessed:

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Guinness posted:

people say this a lot but my tubeless setup holds pressure more than tubes ever did

Some of my first road tires from Bontager road tubeless were very porous. If I road in the rain, the tire turned into a big foamy mess. I tried Stans, Bontrager and Orangeseal. Those things just weeped. But the latest versions are solid. For "reasons", I had my road bike hanging on the wall, unused for ten months. The pressure dropped from 85 to 60 psi. Yes, better than any tubed tire.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Guinness posted:

Orange Seal helps, but it’s mostly down to the tire. Goodyear Eagle F1s lose like <2% psi per week while GP5K S TRs lose like >20% in a week.

I would say most tubeless tires are worse than lightweight butyl tubes. Almost all are worse than standard butyl tubes. All are better than latex tubes. And almost all are generally inferior to the new TPU tubes.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Guinness posted:

Same. I check my MTB tires more often but that's really because I want them right on the dot, whereas I don't GAF on the commuter.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

I found that if I tried to run a nice expensive latex tube some tire seeking piece of metal would end up giving me a puncture on my first ride with them.

Same thing happened once with a freshly mounted tub too. :eng99:

The GP5KTL's have been pretty reliable from my experience. The Cinturatos have been bomb proof, but heavy, probably going to mount them for the winter.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

TobinHatesYou posted:

Orange Seal helps, but it’s mostly down to the tire. Goodyear Eagle F1s lose like <2% psi per week while GP5K S TRs lose like >20% in a week.

Nice to know that STRs losing pressure like crazy is a tyre thing and not a my setup thing :shobon:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is there some magic place where I can get a 12 speed SRAM AXS road cassette for cheap trainer duty?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

Is there some magic place where I can get a 12 speed SRAM AXS road cassette for cheap trainer duty?

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/sram-rival-xg-1250-12-speed-cassette?v=riv1036

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

And don’t forget the XDR freehub for your trainer if you need to pick one of those up…

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

:sigh:

$132 for a rival cassette?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

:sigh:

$132 for a rival cassette?

well dont look up the price for red

not great but even 11sp shimano cassettes are big bucks now, if you can find them