Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Twidder will definitely last past the 2024 potus election. After that, who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense

sebmojo posted:

his intensely fragile self-worth aside, if he has a notional 200 billion net worth he could lose 99.5% of his money and still be a billionaire, so he'll probably be fine.

I had been assuming 44bn was too much to be able to lose or lock up in one thing and would consume his fortune.
I looked up the actual amount and then realised yea, it's a big chunk but not even half.

At some point I also forgot what a billion was because it was already too hard to fathom someone pissing away 44 million.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

I would like to know what the controls are.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

mudskipp posted:

At some point I also forgot what a billion was because it was already too hard to fathom someone pissing away 44 million.

Brains are just not made to comprehend such large numbers.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

goatface posted:

I would like to know what the controls are.

Button A to challenge lefties to fight you
Button B to whine about how the left isn't being fair

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

By popular demand posted:

Button A to challenge lefties to fight you
Button B to whine about how the left isn't being fair

holding A charges up a Flaming N-Bomb

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

And try the Konami code to instantly poo poo your pants!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Real men don't use cheats!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

December 14th, 2022. Elon gets into a slapfight with a payment processor and twitter gets blacklisted.

Edit: adjusted date. Forgot how credit card statements worked for a second

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Nov 5, 2022

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The power move would be to get blacklisted by paypal.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I'm waiting for the performance issues and slow collapse since they don't have anyone maintaining this poo poo anymore. I think Elon is going to want to run Twitter longer than it will actually run and he wont be able to get it up and running for weeks and everyone will be like Twitter? when it's back up.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
After those tweets upthread i just had a *moment* about how much money 44 billion dollars is. Thats a massive lol. It has 1% the users of facebook, and of those uses only a small proportion actually post, and how many of them are bots?

Lol

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Ol' Muskrat would have been better served hiring himself a truckload of actors and setting up an actual palace where everyone is constantly fawning over his brilliant business acumen.
Like the Truman Show but in reverse.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

↑↑↓↓←→←→BA Fart

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Ol' Muskrat would have been better served hiring himself a truckload of actors and setting up an actual palace where everyone is constantly fawning over his brilliant business acumen.
Like the Truman Show but in reverse.

Musktempkin village

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

sebmojo posted:

his intensely fragile self-worth aside, if he has a notional 200 billion net worth he could lose 99.5% of his money and still be a billionaire, so he'll probably be fine.

oh he'll always be rich, but he will lose his top spot, probably eventually drop out of top 10 and it will devastate him more than anything in the world even though after you have a billion dollars money ceases mattering at all for personal wellbeing. probably a lot earlier tbh.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I wonder how many important people will need to make statements on Monday that a death threat from a 'verified' tweet was not, in fact, from them?

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005

SirPhoebos posted:

I wonder how many important people will need to make statements on Monday that a death threat from a 'verified' tweet was not, in fact, from them?

lol this is going to lead to so many more lawsuits

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

It will be kinda impressive if the checkmark system is up and running on Monday without crippling bugs

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

mudskipp posted:

I had been assuming 44bn was too much to be able to lose or lock up in one thing and would consume his fortune.
I looked up the actual amount and then realised yea, it's a big chunk but not even half.

It's slightly obscured by the stock split, but between his shananigans and being forced to sell of so much stock to buy Twitter, he's tanked the value of his Tesla Stock this year as well.

A year ago it was $407, today it's 207

Next years 'Richest lists' are not going to be good for his fragile Ego.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

hotdog feet posted:

lol this is going to lead to so many more lawsuits

1) Local school decides to put adding a new expense on the backburner
2) Troll notices the school's twitter isn't checkmarked, makes a fake account that is, and sends out a school shooting alert.
3) The school is effectively swatted.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1588217293665886209

i wish to be that tender of chicken

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oh poo poo imma buy my competitors accounts, blue check it, and start spamming the foulest thing I can imagine (pictures of food with mayonnaise in place of tomato sauce)

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Captain Hygiene posted:

October 28, 2023, a full year but no more

Jet Jaguar posted:

December 28th, 2022, somebody will break something in the dead zone between Christmas and New Year's Eve, nobody will know how to bring it back.

its all nice on rice posted:

September 15, 2023.

Pyrtanis posted:

Hello Seth, I would like to choose December 12th, 2022 as the date birdsite flies into a window, ty

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

June 18th 2023

Flyinglemur posted:

You're welcome! It's nice to be remembered for things like that and not The Incident at the old mill

Is it too late to pick April 1st, 2023?

Squibbles posted:

Sept 11th 2024, never forget

In reality I expect it to never actually die and just limp along a shadow of it's former self like all other social media that have passed their prime. And I'm not confident that elons ego could ever let him sell at a loss.

koshmar posted:

July 27th 2023

Revins posted:

March 3rd 2023

Happy Landfill posted:

:emptyquote:

Throwing my hat in for January 7th 2023. Why? Idk

EngineerJoe posted:

August 14, 2023

ben shapino posted:

April 20 2069

Turbinosamente posted:

No one wants to guess it croaks on election day, so I will do it, November 8th 2022.

Party Ape posted:

I'm going for the any% twitter death speedrun: November 31, 2022.

DRINK ME posted:

Twitter changes hands April 1st 2023.

crusty posted:

Dec 1, 2023.

He'll have to wait a year to do a full YoY comparison with his changes in place and then will sell quietly with nuclear NDA so no one knows how much he lost.

Beefed Owl posted:

I'm going to say April 4th of next year because it is 4-4, like how no matter how many stupid decisions I make in my life I'll never buy a platform for $44 billion, several times its value and then immediately tank it

GD_American posted:

Elon doesn't even make it to Thanksgiving. November 20th, 2022.

Bad Purchase posted:

january 20, 2024

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

11/04/2022,
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I basically assume Twitter will continue forward as a Myspace or Digg.com embarassment forever more or less. So I don't think it will ever truly "die". But death in this case is something akin to Elon selling it off for cheap, or a mass exodus, or nearly all advertisements gone, it becomes a right wing chudosphere failure, or some flavor of this.

I think August 18th 2023.

Anora posted:

Was July 14th 2023 taken, if so move me later until I hit a free date

Somfin posted:

December 26, 2022. I think he sells it at a horrendous loss before the year is out.

E. Revenant posted:

Feb 24 2023 to overshadow from a significant anniversary.

Filox posted:

March 30 2023.

I wonder how things are looking behind closed doors at the companies that are bailing on Twitter advertising right now. Are they laughing their asses off around the boardroom table, or sitting in slack jawed disbelief at the sheer incompetence of the Musk rat?

Edit because I can't numbers

big black turnout posted:

Does anyone have June 9, 2023 yet

god please help me posted:

july 5th, 2025 based on how tumblr went.

Omobono posted:

I'm feeling optimistic, bird death on may 15th, '23.

ullerrm posted:

Sept 29, 2023.

(the day before end of Q3 FY)

Dalmuti posted:

October 8, 2023

281st day of next year

the mike jones number

Ohtsam posted:

July 19th 2023

Also so much of the cspam archives (and honestly this whole forum and every discord) are going to be unreadable once Twitter dies and takes the embeds with it

SpiritOfLenin posted:

January 5 2023

Musk is speedrunning his own destruction

Nowher posted:

23rd September 2024

I reckon they will keep this corpse dragging on for a bit longer.

QuarkJets posted:

Give me April 1 2023

And if Twitter folds or gets sold before the end of the year, we need gang tags

The cool thing is that it seems like Twitter doesn't actually delete accounts, it just "deactivates" them. Any personal information you put out there is still fair game for getting leaked in a security breach, lmao

learnincurve posted:

Has he fired the people who pay the server or electricity bills? because that’ll make it 28 December 2022 as the death date if he has.

Hardawn posted:

October 25th 2024

heavy liquid posted:

August 1, 2023

Got this batch; lemme know if I missed you

Several people pointed out that I haven't defined "dead", so here's what I'm thinking:

- Twitter suffers a catastrophic outage that nukes the entire site, or it's down for several days and people flee the platform and even if it comes back up it's a shell of its former self (short downtime doesn't count, say a day or less)

- there's a verifiable significant decrease in daily users (maybe > 50% loss?) YoY

- it's sold for pennies on the dollar to some hedge fund, or sold for spare parts

- its revenue decreases by a significant amount ( > 30%?)

Anything I might be missing?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

My money's on Elon converting the entire worth to cyptocurrency and then losing the digital wallet.
Within like a month or so.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Can we count Elon getting booted from Tesla to save the share price after he implodes twitter a death?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Seth Pecksniff posted:

How's this:

The person who picks the correct date of when Twitter dies (or closest to) gets a free av change/upgrade

I'll take submissions for the next week or so, unless Twitter folds before then and then uh... I guess no one wins?

May 5, 2023. Either Twitter dies, or Elon does in a "Mysterious" Starship accident, Tesla accident, or hotel bathtub and chainsaw accident.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Some people in this thread reminding me of how anime has oddly become an endemic part of Twitter culture for a lot of younger people and influencers nowadays (at least the memes) and vice versa. That whole industry would look vastly different today were it not for various Japanese anime production committees taking advantage of Twitter trending algorithms to make sure people are watching, purchasing and memeing about the things they want them to be at the time they want them to be. I tend to agree that industry cannot survive the same way without it and their "retweet this thing 40K times to market our product for us and give the all important impression its culturally important so more people buy the product and you can maybe win some free stuff" campaigns.

It was kind of in significant year on year decline before Twitter took off by all impressions I've gotten. It'd still survive probably without it, but it'd probably revert to a wild west higher risk market of potential fans choosing their anime content in a vaccuum as opposed to how it comes across nowadays with producers shaping and choosing their audience and what trends. Its probably one of the rare examples out there of twitter being crucially responsible for marketing efforts for something and maintaining a certain market status quo.

Marketers could also turn even more to streamer influencers and Vtubers I suppose that get the bulk of their traffic through streaming sites anyway.

Kale fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Nov 5, 2022

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Barudak posted:

Can we count Elon getting booted from Tesla to save the share price after he implodes twitter a death?

I don't think that would matter since he's leveraged against Tesla shares and he'd have to sell them anyway

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Deptfordx posted:

It's slightly obscured by the stock split, but between his shananigans and being forced to sell of so much stock to buy Twitter, he's tanked the value of his Tesla Stock this year as well.

A year ago it was $407, today it's 207

Next years 'Richest lists' are not going to be good for his fragile Ego.

It's going to be worse than that. One of the reasons Musk gets away with so much poo poo is that he can wave the Richest Man in the World card in people's faces whenever he decides to do something dumb, irrational, or illegal. Enough people buy into it that he often gets a pass to act outside of normal boundries. Move him a few places down the rich list, and he loses that freedom. That more than anything is going to drive him nuts.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Wendigee posted:

:sickos:

Please kill anime Leon

Kill the stupid exploitative pyramid scheme that is the production committee system but leave anime alone Elon

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I don't think that would matter since he's leveraged against Tesla shares and he'd have to sell them anyway

Fair point. I guess I was imaging a possible world where Tesla boots him to save share price prior to him being irrecoverably negative versus twitter deal (or fixable with more bridge loans) but nah

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Drugs are bad, mmkay

If you do drugs, you're likely to buy a profit loss social media platform for way over its share price and drive it into the ground because you've always been told you're the smartest and best boy and you could do anything, mmkay

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Whoa, modern drug abstinence programs got a lot more real

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

Seth Pecksniff posted:

- its revenue decreases by a significant amount ( > 30%?)
Hasn't this already happened?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RDM posted:

Its privately owned so I imagine Elon will be gloating about how profitable it is until his burlap sackcloth is repossessed.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

RDM posted:

Has it? I haven't seen financials, or at least trustworthy ones

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Barudak posted:

Its privately owned so I imagine Elon will be gloating about how profitable it is until his burlap sackcloth is repossessed.

Musk has already publicly said it's losing 4mil a day and even if this is bullshit, which honestly w the add pullout may not be, he's too loving dumb to lie and say it's successful because he's desperate at pointing figures at everyone besides Elon Musk for why buying twitter and promising the changes he has are a terrible idea. This is what happens when you surround yourself with yesmen and have a bunch of idiots online constantly replying to your tweets saying how great you are.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Was there any mention of what they are going to update "verified" to because paying 8 bucks sure as poo poo isnt verifying anything.

"Oh yeah, I've got Twitter PRO"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Barudak posted:

instead of "booted" we should call it "removing the air vent and reaching in to unlatch the emergency door release" to raise awareness of how to escape a tesla deathbox