Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I just had the shortest game on record:

First location reveals. It's The Raft. I check the nameplate. He reveals first.

I play Elektra on The Raft. He plays Nightcrawler and it gets sniped.

Opponent retreats. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Pool 2 seems like it kinda sucks outside of killmonger, agent 13. and sunspot. Bunch of weird niche cards.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

No Wave posted:

Pool 2 seems like it kinda sucks outside of killmonger, agent 13. and sunspot. Bunch of weird niche cards.

It's where the game starts ramping up the interactivity with the other player, I think. Now that you know the basics.

I'd suggest putting The Collector in Devil Dino, at least.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I love the Snap/poker element to this game but I'm thinking maybe I wish the cubes were for a currency and not rank. Because I generally don't care about my rank in competitive games, but I love to gamble.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Ooops, all dinosaurs!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

No Wave posted:

Pool 2 is at least 50% essential cards. They just don't belong in every deck. And neither do Agent 13 or Sunspot.

E: I just looked at the list for Pool 2. Out of 25 cards, there's only two that I've never put in a deck - Leech and Rhino - and Rhino does see play. Apart from that it's just Nakia, who has been nerfed into the floor.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Nov 5, 2022

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

No Wave posted:

it’s not so much niche as synergy. Sure Vulture and Multiple man suck in isolation, but put them in a deck with multiple ways to move cards and they can win you games.

Why would you want cards like Carnage and Deathlok that kill your own cards? Combine them with cards like Nova and Bucky that you want to destroy and you’re set!

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
troll deck is my new favorite

e: when they hit you with the scorpion but it secretly buffs Hobgoblin and you play it back at them like a reverse uno card

Reek fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Nov 5, 2022

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
My opponent played Spider Woman on turn 3 without destroying or discarding any cards. How is this possible?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Got to do a sweet swing earlier.

Opponent has Hawkeye (buffed, and a Ka-Zar somewhere), Sentinel, we're fairly evenly matched (I think I had Angela plus something else?). Last turn I drop Elektra on there. Snapping would've given it away, but it was nice to get the 4 cubes

Schneider Inside Her posted:

My opponent played Spider Woman on turn 3 without destroying or discarding any cards. How is this possible?

Elysium can reduce cost, and Project Pegasus, The Superflow, and Tinkerer's Workshop can give you additional energy. X-Mansion can also give each player a random card, Morph can turn into a card from the opponent's hand, Psylocke, Electro, and Time Stone also give you more energy, but those seem rarer, I suspect location stuff.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Nov 5, 2022

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
The most common answer is you have Spider-Woman in your hand and they played Morph.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
People have a really hard time reading Professor X's card text -- it's multiple times now I've seen someone snap and play a Doctor Doom or whatever for the attempted win without understanding "no, really, cards can not be added or removed at this location"

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Shang Chi is very rude and I love him for it.

Serperoth posted:

Elysium can reduce cost, and Project Pegasus, The Superflow, and Tinkerer's Workshop can give you additional energy. X-Mansion can also give each player a random card, Morph can turn into a card from the opponent's hand, Psylocke, Electro, and Time Stone also give you more energy, but those seem rarer, I suspect location stuff.

Sakaar location too will play a random card for your hand.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

No Wave posted:

A lot of those niche cards might not slot in well to pool 1 decks but they're archetype-defining in their own right. Jubilee/Infininaut is a real deck, Storm is crucial for the Professor X lockdown strategy, Bucky Barnes is a key player for self-destroy. There are some other good all-rounders too; Iceman and Scorpion are great "I don't know what to do with this slot" fillers for a 1-drop and 2-drop, and Hobgoblin can fit into plenty of decks and potentially ruin someone's day.

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
My pool 3 is off to a great start, I've gotten viper and kingpin so far

Legit might end up quitting if I get shafted enough, I was super frustrated getting killmonger as my last card in pool 2

If I can't start playing other decks while I have to face off against people who were just straight up luckier I don't think I'll continue

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Has anyone here had any success with playing pool 1 decks in pool 2? I am starting to feel like I did something to offend the random number generator, since I keep on unlocking cards like cloak or leech. I really like the game, but right now I’m struggling to get out of the mid 30s, since my collection score is going up but the quality of my actual deck is stagnant. I’d love to have a fun gimmick deck, like a movement one, but cards that seem super important (like Vulture) may as well be in another game for me :/

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 5, 2022

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Has anyone here had any success with playing pool 1 decks in pool 2? I am starting to feel like I did something to offend the random number generator, since I keep on unlocking cards like cloak or leech. I really like the game, but right now I’m struggling to get out of the mid 30s as my collection score goes up by my card quality stays stagnant. I’d love to have a fun gimmick deck, like a movement one, but cards that seem super important (like Vulture) may as well be in another game for me :/

I don't think I have a single pool 2 card in my zoo deck, although I probably could swap out Hawkeye for Iceman or something.

mirror123
Jan 17, 2006
rice barrel

goferchan posted:

People have a really hard time reading Professor X's card text -- it's multiple times now I've seen someone snap and play a Doctor Doom or whatever for the attempted win without understanding "no, really, cards can not be added or removed at this location"

Can you shut down a location by flipping first on the same turn? Or if someone plays into professor X on the same turn they still get through?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I just hit pool 3, my first card was Gambit. I can't imagine he's good, but that is 10/10 flavor. (he throws away one of your cards and destroys an opponent hero)

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

SlothBear posted:

I just hit pool 3, my first card was Gambit. I can't imagine he's good, but that is 10/10 flavor. (he throws away one of your cards and destroys an opponent hero)

If you put him in a Discard deck, he's pretty powerful. Not great against Zoo, but will really mess up Destroy decks where you're making fewer, but stronger cards.

mirror123 posted:

Can you shut down a location by flipping first on the same turn? Or if someone plays into professor X on the same turn they still get through?

Cards played in the lane will still activate, but if they're trying to move away or add more cards to the lane, then its not going to work.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Has anyone here had any success with playing pool 1 decks in pool 2? I am starting to feel like I did something to offend the random number generator, since I keep on unlocking cards like cloak or leech. I really like the game, but right now I’m struggling to get out of the mid 30s, since my collection score is going up but the quality of my actual deck is stagnant. I’d love to have a fun gimmick deck, like a movement one, but cards that seem super important (like Vulture) may as well be in another game for me :/

Absolutely. I played core p1 decks all the way through p2. There are so many options don't feel like you need to no-life one deck "because its the best" either. Yeah, zoo is good, but also onreveal or ongoing tribal decks can win plenty and with all sorts of variations! Moon Dino is great!
If you're stuck in the 30s, remember that snapping and retreating is actually more important than the deck too.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Do you hit pool 2 the moment you're at CL 214 or a level afterwards?
I've got so much boosters right now I really want to max out my credits before I move on.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Wondering if it’s correct to cram killmonger and Shang chi in as many decks as possible, if you can get one 8-cube massive swing game by crushing someone T6 it’s worth 7 games where they bog you down and make you retreat.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mierenneuker posted:

Do you hit pool 2 the moment you're at CL 214 or a level afterwards?
I've got so much boosters right now I really want to max out my credits before I move on.

So far as we know, you enter Pool 2 for matchmaking when you open your first Pool 2 card.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Squiggly posted:

My pool 3 is off to a great start, I've gotten viper and kingpin so far

Legit might end up quitting if I get shafted enough, I was super frustrated getting killmonger as my last card in pool 2

If I can't start playing other decks while I have to face off against people who were just straight up luckier I don't think I'll continue

At least your last Pool 2 card was a counterplay card and not integral to a certain Deck type.

The only Pool 2 card I have left is Bucky so I basically don't get to play destruction in Pool 2

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

SlothBear posted:

I once had an opponent set up Wong/Onslaught/Mystique on Kamar-Taj and then they dropped Gambit in there on turn 6 and completely wiped me off the board

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

mirror123 posted:

They do get through if it's the same turn, and effects that modify card power/stuff like Klaw can still affect the lane-- but nobody can play or destroy cards in it, or move cards in or out. Most common use case is playing him after Spider-Man (4-cost "opponents can't play cards here next turn") or you just hail-mary drop him in an empty lane and hope your opponent didn't play a bigger card there. My favorite move is playing him T4 on the "if you have no cards here, +1 energy every turn" location

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Prof X has very good interactions with the "if you play a card here, destroy it". That said I never use him, he's a little yolo for me.

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Scrap Dragon posted:

At least your last Pool 2 card was a counterplay card and not integral to a certain Deck type.

The only Pool 2 card I have left is Bucky so I basically don't get to play destruction in Pool 2

See I think killmonger was essential, especially for trying to include nova in a deck

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Opopanax posted:

I once had an opponent set up Wong/Onslaught/Mystique on Kamar-Taj and then they dropped Gambit in there on turn 6 and completely wiped me off the board

i mean, at that point, just about any decent on-reveal would wipe you out if you had 16 activations of it.

Ironheart. White Tiger. Wolfsbane, even.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I suspect that Leech isn't actually that strong of a card, but my god is it unfun to play against.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Squiggly posted:

See I think killmonger was essential, especially for trying to include nova in a deck
I own killmonger. He is incredible especially in early pool 2 you got completely screwed. Imo he's on a totally different level than shangchantress and classifying him in the same bucket as the other counter cards is inaccurate. A lot about snap's game design encourages you to spam one drops and KM (and Dino) are the two cards holding that back.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 5, 2022

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Jedit posted:

So far as we know, you enter Pool 2 for matchmaking when you open your first Pool 2 card.

You will still only match people with similar sized collections though.

So if you only have a few pool 2 cards, your opponents will too. Sure, they may have lucked into a perfect combination, but that would quickly increase their MMR and get them out of your range anyway.

On the other hand, if you wait until you can unlock a ton of cards at once, you'll be thrown into the deep end with people who already have experience with the pool N+1 cards and that won't be much fun either.

TL;DR: unless you have a very good reason not to (like you're on the verge of getting infinite for example), it's better to just keep progressing. Play, discover new cards at a decent pace, gain experience, and have fun.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Do whatever you think is fun.
That said, I cannot imagine anything less fun than trying to game the pool/card collection stuff for some minor edge haha.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

quiggy posted:

I suspect that Leech isn't actually that strong of a card, but my god is it unfun to play against.

Yeah I haven't really found a use for him, maybe he's okay if you have a way to ramp him out? But he seems pretty bad to drop on turn 5 in any game you weren't already far ahead in anyway.

typhy
Oct 23, 2019

lol that was a wild interaction i had just now

turn 1, we both played agent 13
turn 6, we both played the Leader (I had never seen this card before either, still in pool 2) we both got completely randomly from it on the same empty location, instantly filling the board with 4 copies on each side and fortunately winning the game for me because I was ahead

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

goferchan posted:

Yeah I haven't really found a use for him, maybe he's okay if you have a way to ramp him out? But he seems pretty bad to drop on turn 5 in any game you weren't already far ahead in anyway.

It just sucks to have cards in hand to deal with a situation and be immediately shut down when Leech comes out and turns your hand into a bunch of cards that are numbers and nothing else. There's no real counterplay, just a gently caress-you.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

No Wave posted:

Prof X has very good interactions with the "if you play a card here, destroy it". That said I never use him, he's a little yolo for me.

# (1) Mantis
# (1) Nova
# (2) Star-Lord
# (3) Storm
# (3) Killmonger
# (3) Wave
# (4) Shang-Chi
# (4) Spider-Man
# (4) Drax
# (5) Professor X
# (5) Gamora
# (6) Odin
#
eyJDYXJkcyI6W3siQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiTWFudGlzIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJTdGFybG9yZCJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiU3Rvcm0ifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkRyYXgifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IlNwaWRlck1hbiJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiU2hhbmdDaGkifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IlByb2Zlc3NvclgifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkdhbW9yYSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiT2RpbiJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiV2F2ZSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiTm92YSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiS2lsbG1vbmdlciJ9XX0=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and paste it from the deck editing menu in Snap.

This is the deck I'm running him in. Typically try to play Storm on turn 3 and then follow her up with Drax at the same location if I think I can win it. If I don't think I can win it and expect the opponent to overcommit to the flooded location I'll drop Spider-Man on a different location and then next turn lock it down with X (or play Gamora in the open one). Nova/Killmonger/Wave are the tech slots I'm not as sure about

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

quiggy posted:

It just sucks to have cards in hand to deal with a situation and be immediately shut down when Leech comes out and turns your hand into a bunch of cards that are numbers and nothing else. There's no real counterplay, just a gently caress-you.
But isn't he the counterplay to dropping all your answers on turn 6?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

goferchan posted:

# (1) Mantis
# (1) Nova
# (2) Star-Lord
# (3) Storm
# (3) Killmonger
# (3) Wave
# (4) Shang-Chi
# (4) Spider-Man
# (4) Drax
# (5) Professor X
# (5) Gamora
# (6) Odin
#
eyJDYXJkcyI6W3siQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiTWFudGlzIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJTdGFybG9yZCJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiU3Rvcm0ifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkRyYXgifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IlNwaWRlck1hbiJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiU2hhbmdDaGkifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IlByb2Zlc3NvclgifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkdhbW9yYSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiT2RpbiJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiV2F2ZSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiTm92YSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiS2lsbG1vbmdlciJ9XX0=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and paste it from the deck editing menu in Snap.

This is the deck I'm running him in. Typically try to play Storm on turn 3 and then follow her up with Drax at the same location if I think I can win it. If I don't think I can win it and expect the opponent to overcommit to the flooded location I'll drop Spider-Man on a different location and then next turn lock it down with X (or play Gamora in the open one). Nova/Killmonger/Wave are the tech slots I'm not as sure about
Y mantis over agent 13? Am curious.