Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Isentropy posted:

As someone who grew up as and am still mainly a NBA fan, treasure what you have. Hockey players being boring ciphers (to the media) with the exception of goalies rocks. I like that I can just watch the young Habs develop without a National Discussion

Uhhhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Poor guy hasn't heard about a certain Habs prospects passion for photography.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Isentropy posted:

As someone who grew up as and am still mainly a NBA fan, treasure what you have. Hockey players being boring ciphers (to the media) with the exception of goalies rocks. I like that I can just watch the young Habs develop without a National Discussion

everything about this post is amazing. expertly crafted, love the lingering notes it leaves on the tongue

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Isentropy posted:

I have bad news,

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Oh gently caress I'm dumb. I forgot about the very very large scandal that literally was on the front of every paper

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/citizenkwarren/status/1588902101312159744?s=46&t=6LgihlutdF2yKwTvJIh_BA

G is scoring 3 on Philly tonight

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

what does this even mean? you either were or weren't the first person to pick him up...

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Ginette Reno posted:

I think most people posting here are well aware that a lot of the NHL likely holds repugnant political views. We just don't hear about it as much because many of them keep those opinions to themselves.

Yes, of course. But my post was also just trying to move along the topic of discussion. Very subtly.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hand Knit posted:

Yes, of course. But my post was also just trying to move along the topic of discussion. Very subtly.

Fear not, I'll have a Pittsburgh doomer post for you around 10pm est or so tonight

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

HookShot posted:

Just lmao every time Americans come into this thread to bitch about foreign players supporting their government committing war crimes without a single hint of irony.

I'm not American.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
https://twitter.com/Zeisberger/status/1588934071870423042?s=20&t=gTB77Bjwm39ly5bUPsuphg
:lol:

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

incredible. I probably lean more towards "give the kid a second chance if he works towards it" than most in this thread, but it sounds like the Bruins and the kid are just astoundingly bad/uncommitted to that.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

incredible. I probably lean more towards "give the kid a second chance if he works towards it" than most in this thread, but it sounds like the Bruins and the kid are just astoundingly bad/uncommitted to that.

One of the problems is this is chance 3 or 4.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

As a Black hockey fan, this means a lot to me. I don't see how what that guy did could ever be put in the same context as some guy who got an underage drinking ticket or some of the other dumb poo poo kids get up to. And it didn't really seem like it could get better.

Anyone can pay anyone to make a PR statement these days, we should know that by now in 2022. If you're leaning on that against the fact he tortured a disabled Black kid repeatedly for years, gently caress off

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
The way that the Bruins themselves are struggling to say anything positive about this is hilarious.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I think the only way you could even begin to consider it is an in-depth public apology/meeting with the family if they want and him donating nearly his whole drat salary and free time to charities.
After he does that for a few years without incident maybe, maybe you consider letting him up with an absolutely zero tolerance policy for like... anything.

And yeah that sounds arduous and impossible but dude deserves whatever the opposite of "benefit of the doubt" is

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The “he made a mistake and should get a second chance” narrative is false because it implies a singular event. This was a pattern of abuse to the point he had to be put in front of a judge who said they did not think he was truly remorseful. He chose to not change his behavior many, many, times despite given opportunities to do so. And all that’s even before his half-hearted attempts at an apology when drafted.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

WeaponX posted:

The “he made a mistake and should get a second chance” narrative is false because it implies a singular event. This was a pattern of abuse to the point he had to be put in front of a judge who said they did not think he was truly remorseful. He chose to not change his behavior many, many, times despite given opportunities to do so. And all that’s even before his half-hearted attempts at an apology when drafted.

Eh, yeah I'm immediately back on team "gently caress that guy and gently caress the bruins for signing him"

penalize them a draft pick

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/mikeystephens81/status/1588931372533846016?s=46&t=SItIEepQD9K8MJ3A7wCc1g

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Could this be an NHL first? Player on the ice for an opening face off and his own team jumps him.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

55 new posts since yesterday. Did I miss anything other than "Bruins sign guy nobody actually wants on their team" and "Artemi Panarin had bad opinions about sex with Black women"?

In other news:

https://twitter.com/DMaetzMedia/status/1588938503215194112?t=UR9EhYSzI8Yuzaz2cw47tQ&s=19

Between this and the comments from Gene Smith earlier this year suggesting that Ohio State would want a home CFP game played in Indianapolis, I'm getting the feeling that they're just looking for every reason possible to not spend some of the $Texas they make on football alone to make improvements which might cause them to have no excuse not to host something the community as a whole might enjoy.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Thank you Gary

Spelling Mitsake posted:

The way that the Bruins themselves are struggling to say anything positive about this is hilarious.

Yea this was the most confusing part to me. All the accounts say that Bruins player leadership was openly asking why they were even considering signing him. Then they did it anyway. What a stupid pointless distraction. I'm glad that it's over (hopefully).

https://twitter.com/koshtorontosun/status/1588936555283902465
https://twitter.com/mikeystephens81/status/1588931372533846016

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 5, 2022

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ohio state does not give one single gently caress about anything other than football and that includes all their other sports.

Unrelated but holy poo poo Gary with a good opinion??

https://twitter.com/miketgould/status/1588942911642927105?s=46&t=SItIEepQD9K8MJ3A7wCc1g

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

"he can't play right now, but if the Bruins ask nice he can"

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Proud of the league/media for stepping in almost immediately both times this racist little ratfuck signed an NHL contract and saying gently caress no.

Sweeney should honestly face some sort of punishment for this poo poo, the team literally retired Willie O’Ree’s number in January lol

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Like this is the league that took 7 days to clear Ian Cole and probably stopped trying after that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

Ohio state does not give one single gently caress about anything other than football and that includes all their other sports.

Unrelated but holy poo poo Gary with a good opinion??

https://twitter.com/miketgould/status/1588942911642927105?s=46&t=SItIEepQD9K8MJ3A7wCc1g

Man, you know it’s something horrific when even Gary loving Bettman is like “no we won’t touch this.”

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

"I don't know if he'll ever be eligible" doesn't fill me with confidence that he'll never step foot on an NHL ice surface and there will be real consequences for his actions, but it's a drat sight better than literally anything else the league has done in similar circumstances.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's pure PR since the guy won't be ready for the NHL for a couple years anyway. By which time, if it gets that far, you'll hear Bettman saying Miller has turned over a new leaf, everyone deserves a second chance, etc.

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
I’m personally of the opinion that someone who does something heinous at a young age that’s steeped in racism, misogyny, homophobia, etc. can earn societal rehabilitation and forgiveness if they show earnest remorse and put the work in to both apologize and right any prior wrongs to their best ability, but this little shithead has done jack poo poo and clearly doesn’t give a gently caress and worst of all has made me applaud Gary Bettman, so, at least in the interim, he can go gently caress himself forever.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

What is unclear is if the league has registered this contract. If so, presumably the Bruins want to assign him to the ECHL or maybe AHL. Is he eligible for those leagues but just not the NHL?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ThinkTank posted:

What is unclear is if the league has registered this contract. If so, presumably the Bruins want to assign him to the ECHL or maybe AHL. Is he eligible for those leagues but just not the NHL?

Bettman basically said "it's another league's problem" so theoretically the AHL/ECHL could allow him to play, or they could follow suit and say "we don't want him in our league either"

I am hoping for the latter.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I wonder if this makes it an invalid contract then?

He was signed to an NHL ELC, not an AHL specific contract.

It would be weird if you can sign a guy ineligible to play to an NHL contract still, even if you're playing him on a farm team.

Hand Knit posted:

As a first generation immigrant living in a different country than my birth and therefore without original sin, I can say that the Ovechkin situation is clearly different. There certainly are people who are more comparable to him in the NHL, and on this site. Probably not in this thread though. Not regularly, anyway.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 5, 2022

Captain Geech
Mar 14, 2008

I've made a huge mistake.
What exactly would the Bruins need to do if they wanted to back out of this? Buy out Mitchell's contract?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Captain Geech posted:

What exactly would the Bruins need to do if they wanted to back out of this? Buy out Mitchell's contract?

Only one real solution: close down the franchise. Just stop having them be a team. Makes sense to me, and I am all for it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Captain Geech posted:

If the contract is valid, a mutual buyout would be the only option I guess?

They can't do a team initiated one because there's a specific period in the season when you can do those and we're passed that.

But the ink on the paper means he's getting money no matter what, I imagine.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Can’t believe seabass would do this

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1588954991162986498

That'll get those young guys in the lineup

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I really want to know Sweeny's thought process when signing this dude since literally everybody else was telling him not to. Were there no other AHL pluggers he could go after instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I really want to know Sweeny's thought process when signing this dude since literally everybody else was telling him not to. Were there no other AHL pluggers he could go after instead?

Everyone except his boss.

Jacobs has to get rid of Neely and Sweeney now. There's no other option.