Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I really want to know Sweeny's thought process when signing this dude since literally everybody else was telling him not to. Were there no other AHL pluggers he could go after instead?

No loving idea. The entire thing is baffling. If you pretend the abuse didn't happen he's still just a depth defenseman type of guy. It's not like there aren't dozens of guys in the minors, NCAA, or Europe you couldn't sign to do the same thing who won't put this huge negative spotlight on the organization. I'm glad that it looks like he'll never play (I hope) but the whole thing has had me pissed since it was announced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Jamwad Hilder posted:

No loving idea. The entire thing is baffling. If you pretend the abuse didn't happen he's still just a depth defenseman type of guy. It's not like there aren't dozens of guys in the minors, NCAA, or Europe you couldn't sign to do the same thing who won't put this huge negative spotlight on the organization. I'm glad that it looks like he'll never play (I hope) but the whole thing has had me pissed since it was announced.

Even if he doesn't play, it'll be a bad look for a while.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
https://theathletic.com/3758285/2022/11/03/canadiens-arber-xhekaj/?source=user_shared_article

One day, however, his manager had enough of Xhekaj not being available to work.

“I did have a lot of lates because I was coming from hockey,” Xhekaj said. “Yeah, I told them, I would text them like, ‘Hey I’m running a little late, coming from hockey.’ It’s tough to go home, eat and buzz to work. Sometimes I was late, but (my manager) said I was leading all employees in lates.

“She was mad that I had hockey and I wasn’t making Costco more of a priority. I don’t think she fully understood what level I was at.”

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Not surprising that Aube-Kubel was claimed, although it’s a little interesting that Colorado passed and he made it to Washington.

Seems like Dubas has committed to keeping both Malgin and Robertson up which I wouldn’t have figured at the start of the year, especially considering that Keefe has gone back to his usual ways of playing Robertson 6 minutes a night and then scratching him even when he produces. The team could have made the cap and roster work by sending Nick down instead of losing a guy.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

He sure did, but they were able to repair it.

I'm just happy that someone acknowledged the joke before the the waiver claim happened.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Are Miller’s parent friends with the owners or something because that would explain quite a bit.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I just realized my avatar caption is a play on a dril Tweet.

I love it even more now. Whoever bought it is a legend among Goons.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

I just realized my avatar caption is a play on a dril Tweet.

I love it even more now. Whoever bought it is a legend among Goons.

lol that was on point enough that I assumed you bought it :v:

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

https://theathletic.com/3758285/2022/11/03/canadiens-arber-xhekaj/?source=user_shared_article

One day, however, his manager had enough of Xhekaj not being available to work.

“I did have a lot of lates because I was coming from hockey,” Xhekaj said. “Yeah, I told them, I would text them like, ‘Hey I’m running a little late, coming from hockey.’ It’s tough to go home, eat and buzz to work. Sometimes I was late, but (my manager) said I was leading all employees in lates.

“She was mad that I had hockey and I wasn’t making Costco more of a priority. I don’t think she fully understood what level I was at.”

Love this man to bits.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Koopa Kid posted:

Not surprising that Aube-Kubel was claimed, although it’s a little interesting that Colorado passed and he made it to Washington.

Seems like Dubas has committed to keeping both Malgin and Robertson up which I wouldn’t have figured at the start of the year, especially considering that Keefe has gone back to his usual ways of playing Robertson 6 minutes a night and then scratching him even when he produces. The team could have made the cap and roster work by sending Nick down instead of losing a guy.

I figure they think they need more scoring than the "bottom six super defence" set up was providing, which is why they specifically want to keep up both Robertson and Malgin.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/michaelnef44/status/1588981967789654016?t=b_oT11Q46tzw29d7Mo9AEQ&s=19

Man of the people.

Good soup! posted:

lol that was on point enough that I assumed you bought it :v:

Ha! I didn't buy either this or the Torts one, only the Jeff Gordon graduation photo.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

I figure they think they need more scoring than the "bottom six super defence" set up was providing, which is why they specifically want to keep up both Robertson and Malgin.

For sure, and I don’t think it was too early to abandon that game plan and adapt, but it also doesn’t seem like Keefe is really comfortable having both Robertson and Malgin in the lineup at the same time and even when they’re both in they’re playing single-digit minutes which is not ideal.

Seems like Robertson’s gonna be scratched for the second consecutive game tonight and was barely playing even when he was in. I just think it seems strange to lose a guy the team just signed, even though early returns were poor, so that Keefe can keep benching a young guy who could easily play 20 minutes in the AHL.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I wouldn't be surprised the Leafs just wanted a contract slot and the marginal difference between all those players was worth sacrificing someone

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Have you considered the possibility that the people running the Leafs have no idea what they're doing?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Thr best bit in the NHL is every guy the Leafs waive getting claimed no matter how much they stink.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

ThinkTank posted:

Thr best bit in the NHL is every guy the Leafs waive getting claimed no matter how much they stink.

Everybody is a Leafs fan.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I wouldn't be surprised the Leafs just wanted a contract slot and the marginal difference between all those players was worth sacrificing someone

I’d think if that was the case they’d just trade him for future considerations somewhere, waiving him leaves open the possibility that he clears and then you’re still at 50 contracts

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

I’d think if that was the case they’d just trade him for future considerations somewhere, waiving him leaves open the possibility that he clears and then you’re still at 50 contracts

I think they would have been fine with it either way, you never know when you might need injury fill-ins. Anyway it clears some 200k in cap space if you consider Robertson the replacement.

More importantly, Liljegren's supposed to be back, and stepping right into the top pair with Rielly. Keefe is also running Brodie-Holl and Giordano-Sandin again even though Brodie is better on the right side.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Keefe basically said at practice that Brodie's supposed to "help" Holl on that pairing, so yeah the Leafs will be putting one of their good defenders in a worse spot because Holl has been such a disaster. Sure am glad Dubas twisted himself into knots in order to keep him away from Seattle!

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

eXXon posted:

I think they would have been fine with it either way, you never know when you might need injury fill-ins. Anyway it clears some 200k in cap space if you consider Robertson the replacement.

More importantly, Liljegren's supposed to be back, and stepping right into the top pair with Rielly. Keefe is also running Brodie-Holl and Giordano-Sandin again even though Brodie is better on the right side.

Re-unite Giordano-Brodie Keefe you coward

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

ThinkTank posted:

I would welcome ZAR back with open arms

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I would welcome ZAR back with open arms

I'd take him over McGinn any day. Especially comparing the contracts

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Lmao the Caps reverse retro jersey puts the ad right underneath the collar.

E: it looks like they managed to fix it, but it’s still awkward next to the captain c.

Schremp Howard fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 6, 2022

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Schremp Howard posted:

Lmao the Caps reverse retro jersey puts the ad right underneath the collar.

gently caress that.

At least they got this right:

https://twitter.com/OlafKolzig/status/1589005357661446144?s=20&t=E0_YuhxqpJmlF9mYszr96w

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/sportsnet/status/1589035290307350529?s=46&t=OeabXF51kGyMJv0s_tBaFg

Claude :3:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Oh cool, the Monsters are on TV tonight. At least I can watch a game where my team might win and I'm happy if they do but am not pissed if they lose.

Emil Bemstrom is tearing it up in the AHL, but just can't seem to make the transition to the NHL.

E- Mark Letestu is rocking some bitchin' mutton chops.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 6, 2022

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Longest losing streak since 05-6 I think, which was the last year they missed the playoffs.

If they're gonna miss, I guess this is the year to do it. Top of the draft looks very good.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
That game was the Caps season in a nutshell. Random Ovi goal milestone, team's best defenseman gets injured, blow two goal lead to lose to the Coyotes.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Ginette Reno posted:

Longest losing streak since 05-6 I think, which was the last year they missed the playoffs.

If they're gonna miss, I guess this is the year to do it. Top of the draft looks very good.

Didn't see any of the game. Seems like Jarry laid another dogshit egg of sub .900 goaltending. Delightful.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

I think the Canadiens found the right spot for Dach by putting him on the wing with Suzuki and Caufield. 7 points in 4 games since being put on that line and he's been good at retrieving the puck for them.
Let the kids loose together!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Didn't see any of the game. Seems like Jarry laid another dogshit egg of sub .900 goaltending. Delightful.

The only one I’d really lay on Jarry was the 3rd. Needed to get left to right faster to stay square and got beaten over the blocker.

The Dunn goal took a fun bounce in the low slot and the Gourde goal was the D standing still. Penguins lost but they played a lot better than they did in Seattle.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Ryan Reynolds please buy the team and fire everybody, how is DJ Smith still coaching

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Similar story to last game. Outplayed Seattle for large stretches of it, got bad goaltending and had a truly awful powerplay, and that was that.

Their mostly solid (borderline good) 5v5 play isn't good enough to overcome bad special teams/goaltending.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Suck hard for Bedard baby, here's to another 15 years of a generational talent on the Penguins!

(Just kidding, they'll trade away their unprotected first round pick any day now)

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Suck hard for Bedard baby, here's to another 15 years of a generational talent on the Penguins!

(Just kidding, they'll trade away their unprotected first round pick any day now)

Hextall has many faults but trading away first round picks like candy (a la JR) is thankfully not one of them.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Leafs good again.

https://twitter.com/mikeystephens81/status/1588909740306096128

I, uh, wouldn't have used that phrasing for a young man finishing his cancer treatment and returning to a country with conscription in his age bracket.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

This was supposed to be a doom post!

I haven't really been watching lately so i can't really comment on much but i'm guessing i made a good choice of not watching tbh

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Bruins fall to 10-2. I didn't watch because I'm still mad about the Mitchell thing. Looked like it was close, maybe.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Bruins fall to 10-2. I didn't watch because I'm still mad about the Mitchell thing. Looked like it was close, maybe.

The Leafs were really good in the first half of the game but couldn’t really build up insurance, and then it was a white knuckle score effects kinda finish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Carver posted:

This was supposed to be a doom post!

I haven't really been watching lately so i can't really comment on much but i'm guessing i made a good choice of not watching tbh

Sorry, I'm just kinda gassed out already about deep diving on the many ways the Pens are disappointing me :v:.

Truthfully, I don't think they've played that badly the past three games. They could have won all of them. On the west coast trip they went a well deserved 0-4 but I think they deserve better than the three additional losses they've just had. But that's how it's going right now. I think there's still a chance they right the ship, but the more they dig this hole the harder that becomes obviously.