Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Zil posted:

Dumb thought, but what happens if Jones wins the lottery tonight? Would the families get any of it or would that turn into its own lawsuit?

They get it. Basically, Alex Jones currently owes them 965 million dollars, so whatever he gets will go to them

Piell fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Won't the 50 million dollar lawsuit lead to actual enforceable demands for money before the big one does?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
It's up to bankruptcy courts to evaluate all his debts and divvy up to his claimants at this point, so everything will basically have to wait for the appeals to clear up to establish his final liability.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Pirate Radar posted:

I’m not a lawyer so this is all non-legal and so on, but my understanding is: a judgment like this incentivizes him to shut the gently caress up, but it can’t actually make him shut the gently caress up unless he ends up in contempt of court and gets thrown in jail—which is possible! That could still happen! But the judgement doesn’t somehow force him to shut his yap.
As part of any lawsuit there are demands for "all other remedies deemed equitable by the court," which is a fancy way of saying that the court can impose other sanctions on top of the monetary awards. Like an order restraining him from further defamatory statements. To avoid first amendment prior restraint issues it can't be about anything with respect to Sandy Hook but it should be reasonable to enjoin him from saying the shootings were a hoax, the parents are faking it, to not encourage his listeners to dig up the victims' graves, etc. That sort of thing can be enforced civilly under the penalty of contempt, which does include jail time.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

JediTalentAgent posted:

Alex if you're reading this: I work for the home office and you were sent an email where you were the winner of the UK National Lottery. You only have another 24 hours to respond to the email to claim your prize. If you don't the funds from the account will be redistributed to supporting the National Health Services. Please, Mr. JONES , you have only 24 hours left to respond to claim you winnings.

He's told stories about multiple "friends" falling for the Nigerian Prince scam so this might be a good play.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Outrail posted:

I makes no sense but I can see Alex managing to withdraw a few million from an account he shouldn't be able to, getting one of his buddies to fly him out of the country. He then leans hard into crypto payments from his new Panama HQ or some stupid poo poo

Remember, the only reason Jones does this poo poo is to make millions selling boner pills. If he gets away with some cash in another country then whatever, any of his assets in the USA will be sold off and distributed. And he won’t be able to sell poo poo to anything but a few countries because everywhere else has treaties with the US to seize assets or profits.

Alex may start up an infowars Russia or something but it’ll stop being interesting to him real fast when he realizes he can’t make money doing it anymore. Plus, there’s no way Alex doesn’t piss off someone where he ultimately lands and ends up like John McAffee. For all his complaining about state interference in the US, if he runs, he’ll get a real lesson.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
A billion in potential fines is nice and all, but it means nothing until it actually impacts Jones in some way and actually changes something in his life. Until something actually changes it's all bluster and bullshit, another talking point to yell and scream about.

What happens if one of the immorally wealthy assholes on the planet just hands him a pile of money and basically pays his fine for him? Once you're at that level fines aren't a punishment they're a line-item. There's people out there that wouldn't even notice paying a mere $965 million. Get the right brain worms in some of them and the desire to stick it to Jones' enemies and the money can be found easily. Peter Thiel did exactly this because he had an axe to grind, it's not some completely left field fever dream from the ether so don't immediately dismiss it.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

bird food bathtub posted:

A billion in potential fines is nice and all, but it means nothing until it actually impacts Jones in some way and actually changes something in his life. Until something actually changes it's all bluster and bullshit, another talking point to yell and scream about.

He's literally not in control of his own company any more

What happens if one of the immorally wealthy assholes on the planet just hands him a pile of money and basically pays his fine for him? Once you're at that level fines aren't a punishment they're a line-item. There's people out there that wouldn't even notice paying a mere $965 million. Get the right brain worms in some of them and the desire to stick it to Jones' enemies and the money can be found easily. Peter Thiel did exactly this because he had an axe to grind, it's not some completely left field fever dream from the ether so don't immediately dismiss it.

I am going to though. 1 billion dollars is an enormous amount of money, no one is going to throw that at alex for a lark.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Xakura posted:

He's literally not in control of his own company any more

I am going to though. 1 billion dollars is an enormous amount of money, no one is going to throw that at alex for a lark.

Elon Musk just threw 44 times that into a raging dumpster fire so he could poo poo post to soothe his ego. It's not impossible.

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
Especially when, due to this being Alex Jones, if his fine was suddenly paid off he could just as easily be back in this same hole a few years from now. Dude cannot shut the gently caress up.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

He's a beet red drunk whose heart is going to explode within 5 years, so he's just not a good investment. If a sociopathic billionaire wanted to use him to keep speeding divisiveness at this point they'd be better off assassinating him. Much cheaper than bailing him out. Then he dies a martyr and can keep doing his work for decades without no worry of him turning into a sloppy drunk and going off script.

squibble
Sep 30, 2003

Elon Musk just threw 44 times that into a raging dumpster fire so he could poo poo post to soothe his ego. It's not impossible.

Yeah, but that was for HIM. No one is going to cough up that kind of cash to an idiot like AJ. It doesn't feed anyone's ego to do so.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

Especially when, due to this being Alex Jones, if his fine was suddenly paid off he could just as easily be back in this same hole a few years from now. Dude cannot shut the gently caress up.

This does actually have a ring of truth to it so I can see that as a valid counter thought that I'll add in and mull over a while.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
To be fair Elon really didn't want to spend that much on Twitter and tried very hard to not have to do it. He's an idiot that make a meme purchase offer for a joke and then twitter accepted it and he realized that it was legally binding.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Musk is an idiot who bought Twitter to assuage his ego and because he was on a coke/meth bender. He has no one to advise him to not do things, and now he's melting down in real time as Twitter burns down around him. Peter Thiel is evil, but he's not stupid. He has nothing to gain from backing Alex Jones, even anonymously, and a billion dollars is still a lot of money to a billionaire. There's literally no reason for anyone to pay for Jones's verdict

This is just more doom posting for no reason. Maybe we can't make Jones shut up, but he's going to suffer terribly

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Musk also desperately regrets his actions and is now doing everything possible to claw his money back in the dumbest way possible so that is a poor example.

Take the W. Making yourself miserable for no point is just pure masterbation

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The idea that anyone who has enough money to bail out Alex Johnson gives the slightest poo poo about a single other person on the planet is laughable. A billion dollars is a comical amount of wealth, enough to drop that into a black hole with no returns is obscene compared to that, and anyone possessing that kind of money is completely without empathy by virtue of having accrued that value in the first place.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

CharlestheHammer posted:

Musk also desperately regrets his actions and is now doing everything possible to claw his money back in the dumbest way possible so that is a poor example.

That's a good point, Musk went to court to get out of the Twitter deal after his drug binge ended

It can't be said enough: Alex Jones is not a member of the elite, or useful to the elite. No one with money or power is going to stick their necks out to help him. Not anymore

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There's no one on Earth who likes Alex Jones enough to give him a literal billion dollars. Lol.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I think the doubters are failing to appreciate that a billion is a thousand times the size of a million. Those extra zeros aren’t decorative.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Xiahou Dun posted:

I think the doubters are failing to appreciate that a billion is a thousand times the size of a million. Those extra zeros aren’t decorative.

It's meaningless after the first six zeros

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Xiahou Dun posted:

The human brain just isn't equipped to deal with really big numbers.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

There's no one on Earth who likes Alex Jones enough to give him a literal billion dollars. Lol.

And now, Twitter welcomes our new content moderator...

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Xiahou Dun posted:

Just for perspective: Peter Thiel's estimated worth is about $4.3 billion. He's not going to pay a quarter of his worth to save Alex Jones

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Outrail posted:

It's meaningless after the first six zeros

No.

In no sense is that true.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

kw0134 posted:

As part of any lawsuit there are demands for "all other remedies deemed equitable by the court," which is a fancy way of saying that the court can impose other sanctions on top of the monetary awards. Like an order restraining him from further defamatory statements. To avoid first amendment prior restraint issues it can't be about anything with respect to Sandy Hook but it should be reasonable to enjoin him from saying the shootings were a hoax, the parents are faking it, to not encourage his listeners to dig up the victims' graves, etc. That sort of thing can be enforced civilly under the penalty of contempt, which does include jail time.

Has he been so enjoined here, or do we not know yet?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

It'd be part of the final judgment that includes all the possible remedies that the plaintiffs ask for and the court deems appropriate. But that's literally the last step in the case before anything can be enforced, though certainly the fact Jones can't stop talking is gonna be obvious evidence weighing in favor of granting such injunctive relief.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

What happens if one of the immorally wealthy assholes on the planet just hands him a pile of money and basically pays his fine for him?

Paying one billion to the libs, to own the libs. :thunk:

In this scenario? The plaintiffs get a loving billion dollars.
How is that an Alex Jones win? One motherfucking billion would get transferred from a monstrous immoral rear end in a top hat a vanguard in the fight against the woke mind virus* to some harassed families dirty Soros paid crisis actors*. That's not a win.

*Since Poe's law is a thing: this is what chuds genuinely believe. I do NOT share those beliefs.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
The punitive damages hearing is live!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ck5PaVQZpg

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Thanks for this!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The number of people who can spare a billion dollars like it's nothing is extremely small, and there's no reason for any of them to care that much about Alex Jones. They can fund hundreds of conspiracy theorist shock jocks with that amount, Jones isn't so special as to be irreplaceable.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Main Paineframe posted:

The number of people who can spare a billion dollars like it's nothing is extremely small, and there's no reason for any of them to care that much about Alex Jones. They can fund hundreds of conspiracy theorist shock jocks with that amount, Jones isn't so special as to be irreplaceable.

Also anyone who can pick up his audience has a ready-made pack of rubes willing to shill out for boner powder and brain pills.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

Because of people still not understanding this and last night's Knowledge Fight, I have a nice example to give of just how big Jones' damages are currently :

You know Picasso? The famous painter, created a whole artistic movement? Famous enough that small children get jokes about his paintings looking funny? It's hard to say how much his paintings are really worth because after a certain point they aren't sold anymore, but I googled up some people who estimate his cumulative monetary worth (i.e. total value of all paintings, combined) would be about 3-400 million.

So as of right now before the punitive damages possibly multiply this number, Jones owes 2 and a half Picassos. Not 2 and half paintings by Picasso. 2 and a half lifetimes of an artist of Picasso's caliber.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

*Clears throat* '2 and a half lifetime Picasso's, so far'

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
Star of Slander, Star of the Right,
Star with Fat face, red and bright.
No proceedings,
Currently Streaming,

Guess I’ll check out the rest of the site

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Yes maybe I should have underlined 2.5 Picassos and counting

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Tweet thread of the hearing for those who don't want to watch the full thing

https://twitter.com/MoString/status/1589658578461548546

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Because of people still not understanding this and last night's Knowledge Fight, I have a nice example to give of just how big Jones' damages are currently :

You know Picasso? The famous painter, created a whole artistic movement? Famous enough that small children get jokes about his paintings looking funny? It's hard to say how much his paintings are really worth because after a certain point they aren't sold anymore, but I googled up some people who estimate his cumulative monetary worth (i.e. total value of all paintings, combined) would be about 3-400 million.

So as of right now before the punitive damages possibly multiply this number, Jones owes 2 and a half Picassos. Not 2 and half paintings by Picasso. 2 and a half lifetimes of an artist of Picasso's caliber.

Americans will do literally anything not to use the metric system.

Alex jones owes a metric fuckton of money and he is hosed. It will be a slow death of a thousand bureaucratic papercuts as his assets are taken from him, and likely the plaintiffs will argue that he has further defamed them and will continue to further defame them and he must be barred from broadcasting, and that may take another 2-3 years but will probably occur.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Piell posted:

Tweet thread of the hearing for those who don't want to watch the full thing

https://twitter.com/MoString/status/1589658578461548546

God drat do I hate Norm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Twibbit posted:

God drat do I hate Norm

Judging by his path in life, chances are, so does God!