Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Vim Fuego posted:

Is there any way to turn mouselook on in Doom 1 on Steam? The lack of Y axis movement is annoying me

You can't turn on something that doesn't exist. You could never pitch the camera in the original Doom and vanilla maps are objectively designed counter to this (most notably, map30 of Doom2). You can enable this in other source ports but it's not how the game was designed, just a word of warning.

Edit:
*slow claps*
vvv

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Nov 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rocket Pan posted:

You can't turn on something that doesn't exist.

explains the incel movement I guess

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Rocket Pan posted:

You can't turn on something that doesn't exist. You could never pitch the camera in the original Doom and vanilla maps are objectively designed counter to this (most notably, map30 of Doom2). You can enable this in other source ports but it's not how the game was designed, just a word of warning.

Edit:
*slow claps*
vvv

Not super on topic but this is exactly why I find the Dooms super playable on Switch/SteamDeck and I really wish the Duke port allowed you to disable up/down look.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Gaspy Conana posted:

Not super on topic but this is exactly why I find the Dooms super playable on Switch/SteamDeck and I really wish the Duke port allowed you to disable up/down look.
Duke Nukem however was designed with (limited) vertical look in mind from the start, unlike Doom

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

F.D. Signifier posted:

Duke Nukem however was designed with (limited) vertical look in mind from the start, unlike Doom

Yeah but generally you don't need to for combat. There are keys for looking up and down but they're similar to holding up or down in a platformer to see farther before making choices. Not really a thing to do much during action-y bits. The main point of friction with FPS games for me is aiming on two axes with a stick. I just don't like how it feels and those games don't require it.

edit: Again this is just on switch/portable. Of course on PC I'd prefer both axes.

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 5, 2022

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
IIRC the original Doom WAS capable of looking up and down but Carmack hated the way it distorted the textures and disabled it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Pope Guilty posted:

IIRC the original Doom WAS capable of looking up and down but Carmack hated the way it distorted the textures and disabled it.

I’ve never read anything that would support that. None of the released alphas/betas have looking up/down.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Not only did I not see the slam fire option for the lever action, I didn't know about the dynamite/molotov combo til my second playthrough. DOH.

I didn't know about it until that goon upthread mentioned it. It seems like it might have some use on Hard and under but on extreme it seems more gimmicky

Lemon-Lime posted:

The China lake slamfire is basically the same thing if you've never purchased it. It's not particularly useful in my experience since most things you shoot will die to a single grenade (especially upgraded) and big monsters are better dealt with with fire, but it is fun.

It wasnt a terrible idea to make it only 1 part since it's not a hugely important but also I wouldn't want to bump it without knowing it's there. I mostly use the grenade launcher for the tank :shrug: The abomination is much easier dealt with with fire. I did spend a bunch of points on a casual playthrough kitting it out with blast and frags so I could deal with the cultists in the chamber which is by far going to be the biggest hurdle in extreme I feel.

Anyway I scraped through the extreme tank battle after only one mid point respawn but I've only got 60 health and like, no armor to my name. I'm half tempted to do it over just so I could have something because so far the asylum grounds is stingy with armor and that stupid flame guy is going to be the death of me. Cornered me in the container unit and lit me up. Bummer.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

david_a posted:

I’ve never read anything that would support that. None of the released alphas/betas have looking up/down.

"Looking up and down" with Doom-style renderers doesn't require anything special, think of it as expanding vertical FOV and pan & scanning up and down.

As for playing Doom/2 with mouselook, 99% of the vanilla game is fine but there are a few puzzles that can break like walls activated by shooting, which otherwise require screwing around to get to the right height. Regardless it feels better to play with vertical look IMO, everything does.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 5, 2022

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A random list of complaints I have with Forgive Me Father

-I don't like the vignetting it has, the with horizontal black bars on top and below, and they can't be disabled.
-The bloom is super exaggerated, and I say it as someone who played hundreds of hours of GZDoom with bloom enabled

-I know it's part of the comic style it uses, but in general it has a very saturated shadows and lightning, hurting visibility to the point it affects the gameplay.
-The movement. Oh man, the movement, it feels a bit off. It's fast like in Doom, but there is no inertia. There is also little to no difference in walking forward or strafing or going backwards. It seems your speed in the XY coordinates is always the same so you go super fast if you are climbing up a high slope. Just off.
-The enemies a cultists and Lovecraftians monsters all in a 20s setting... but the author has put, how to say it... radio comms on them. LIke, *click* arggh! *zzz* * click* or *click* medic! *ztunn* * click*, which I usually associate more with Arma, Half Life or FEAR. They feel jarring here.
-It uses checkpoints as save system, I don't have to explain myself here. Although as levels aren't large, they aren't a big issue.

On the other hand it uses to good effect the 'abstracted' type of level design, that mixed real world setting with almost arbitrary geometry, it goes well with the theme of the game.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 5, 2022

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Having some fun with the Cultic survival maps but I wish there was more buy time or don't have it move onto the next wave until you exit the buy menu.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Hell yeah now I'm an expert baby. Got him on my second try which is probably the fewest times it's taken yet. Dunno what that's about. I actually did dump some points in the grenade launcher again and even got some use out if it, if only for crowd control. Anyway, a few last thoughts: I would love to see this guy make or hell even just direct a more proper survivor horror game. He has some considerable chops at it. The room above the spawn in the asylum, where you grab the parts near the tv and couches, there's a door. You try the door because hey, maybe there's free goodies inside. Nothing happens but a click except half a beat later you get three knocks from the opposite side. Absolutely chilling. And the game is FULL of stuff like this. In the room where you drop into the harvester tunnel in the first mission, there's a bunch of glowing red eyes behind a cave-in. You can't interact with them and frankly, I'm glad for it.

Second, am I the only one who kinda hopes to see different weapons in the next one? The weapons as is are already great and have a good feel to all of them and a great feel for a few so I'd like to see them mix it up a bit more, especially if we get some proper occult poo poo. In any case, I'm super excited. Oh well, gotta go kill some idiot with a chair and do the survival achievement before I can wrap this up with a nice bow.

e: oof, only C in survival. Embarrassing. In my defense, I didn't even notice the mystery boxes until basically the very end. Probably gonna put in a lot of work with the hatchet for first 2 levels, save my money.

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 5, 2022

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
There really doesn't feel like there are any missing roles in the current Cultic weapon roster, as much as I want a Stoner 63 machine gun for the episode 2 BFG slot.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Chainsaw baby

Or like a ritual dagger that 1-hits anything that hasn't woken up if you sneak up on em

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Didn't someone find a chainsaw where it made a joke that it'd be awesome if you had gas

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Didn't someone find a chainsaw where it made a joke that it'd be awesome if you had gas

Ah, the Pathways into Darkness method of introducing weapons that are either broken or unloaded for the entire duration of the game

No I'm not still bitter about the .45 and the M16 almost thirty years later but thank you for asking :)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Groovelord Neato posted:

Having some fun with the Cultic survival maps but I wish there was more buy time or don't have it move onto the next wave until you exit the buy menu.

Similarly it's a bit too stingy with money even on Casual and needs more in the way of random item drops on the map

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It would be great if you could pick it up but not use it, unless you used one of the gas pickups on it and then you would be unable to progress because oh well shoulda saved that for the elevator that needed gas you dumbass

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

So... the protag was imbued right?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Groovelord Neato posted:

Similarly, is there some way to force the next round to start so I don't have to stand around for x-seconds after a previous round ends? Maybe it's something obvious and I've completely overlooked it.

Klaus88 posted:

There really doesn't feel like there are any missing roles in the current Cultic weapon roster, as much as I want a Stoner 63 machine gun for the episode 2 BFG slot.

Pretty much. I said a while back that it would be cool for CULTIC to lean further into the whole "Blood" thing with an occult weapon or two just for the gently caress of it, but I'm having trouble picturing what that would look like since the arsenal is otherwise pretty well-rounded.

A Stoner would be pretty awesome though.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

manero posted:

I was farting around randomly on the first map of Cultic and came across this easter egg :haw: .. doesn't count as a secret though:

This is it! Where did you find it?

Also it's weird the stuff that's counted as secrets. Some are insanely hard and others don't really feel like they should be; the shotgun in the cabin in The Grave is one, but the rifle on the roof of the guard shack which I can almost guarantee had fewer visitors is not.

How are people flying all around the level with kicks?

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 5, 2022

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Milo and POTUS posted:

This is it! Where did you find it?

Ledge above the mass grave you spawn in on E1M1. Grab a chair or kick boost up.

People keep talking about weird mad science and stuff, but the Cultic cult doesn't give off that vibe? They're not using whatever the hell they're worshiping and studying it, they're being used by it like a sock puppet. The weird and creepy monsters and the regular cult guys almost never mix (except for the armor.) Even the harvesters are usually found a decent span away from the rank and file.

I mean, the Cabal from Blood cult members are (mostly) intact compared to the Cultic cult members who seem a lot more- worn.

I get the vibe that the Cultic cult doesn't understand any of this poo poo but they don't care because of frontal lobe degradation caused by the active worship of- something horrifying.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Milo and POTUS posted:

So... the protag was imbued right?

Cultic: Depends on how many secrets you found, there's imbued remains in every level except the final boss.

I also like that they don't mention the imbuing process at all until the third level, and then the further you go the more clear they make it that the big monstrous enemies are ones who were imbued too much and turned strange.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

No I'm asking if the protagonist was imbued and that's why he was revived and flies around the level with kicks and has a 8 foot vertical.

Also, is there some place to see how much money you've spent at the end of a survival match? It's kinda sucks to have an achievement with no way to see how close you're getting; I just S ranked the chapel and got probably 7 or 8 waves in but no dice.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't think so, or else you'd start with crazy health and none of the imbued enemies do that.

Apparently an early concept had you getting telekinetic powers, presumably through imbued remains,but that got but because I think it was a too much going on thing. The developer had done footage on his Twitter from when he was trying that out. You could catch bullets and throw them back at enemies.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I think it depends on whether you interpret the whole "awaken in a mass grave" part in the first level as being "you came back from the dead" or "you were left for dead but actually weren't"

Also it's kind of funny that we never see the sack zombies again after the area you first encounter a Harvester

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/duskdev/status/1589057646883405824

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Not sure how well I’ll like something that short, but I’ll certainly give it a shot.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm ready for Duskitana

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

I've finally decided to get Duke 3D crossed off my backlog and I'm really liking it a lot. Are there any good mod/map recommendations or at least good places to find them? I may not be looking correctly, but it seems harder to find good Duke 3rd party content compared to Doom or Quake.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Jumping into Dark Forces using the Force Engine and it's been lovely except for the sewer level which can gently caress off and die forever, god I hate it.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Remember my map "Zugzwang" from a few days ago and the community map jam that was in jeopardy? Well it got released against all odds as Mungfunger: Shadow of the SS Guardmutant, featuring seven ECWolf levels by different contributors and a bizarre nonsense storyline with a ridiculous memey ending screen. Aside from the ridiculous title screen, credits screen, and ending screen, all the assets are vanilla WL6 stuff.

Map list:
MAP01: NIght of the Snozzwangers by AstroCreep
MAP02: Muncho Blitz by saintdinnah
MAP03: Slaughterhouse by Aurora
MAP04: Exposure Therapy by big guy
MAP05: Dine and Dash by Kovacs
MAP06: Zugzwang by Woolie Wool (:toot:)
MAP07: Big Momma's House by Dunkelschwamm

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 6, 2022

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I love time traveling with different weapons/period. See also: TIME COMMANDO.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't think so, or else you'd start with crazy health and none of the imbued enemies do that.

Apparently an early concept had you getting telekinetic powers, presumably through imbued remains,but that got but because I think it was a too much going on thing. The developer had done footage on his Twitter from when he was trying that out. You could catch bullets and throw them back at enemies.

I'm assuming that's going to be a chapter 2 feature.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Mordja posted:

I love time traveling with different weapons/period. See also: TIME COMMANDO.

oh my god gently caress that demo

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I'm assuming that's going to be a chapter 2 feature.

Same, seems like an easy way to expand the arsenal without stepping on the toes of what's already present(since it would basically just be an improved version of what you can already do with physics objects in Chapter 1), though I could also see there being room for another throwable or two alongside the existing dynamite and molotovs(and technically the hatchets)

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Dreamsicle posted:

I've finally decided to get Duke 3D crossed off my backlog and I'm really liking it a lot. Are there any good mod/map recommendations or at least good places to find them? I may not be looking correctly, but it seems harder to find good Duke 3rd party content compared to Doom or Quake.

First, make sure that you've enjoyed all the major expansions. Duke it out in DC is a good time, and Life is a Beach is fan-drat-tastic. The gearbox released extra episode from a few years back is fun too. (nuclear winter is not good).

Second, I'd recommend the Duke Nukem Forever 2013 mod. Lots and lots of fun material, build engine tricks, and solid level design.

Third, check out - https://forums.duke4.net/topic/7640-release-eduke32-addon-compilation/ This is a huge compilation that allows you to launch the vast majority of notable mod content.

Fourth, check out Age of Evil in there. It was designed by Yahtzee Crosaw (yes, of zero punctuation "fame").

Fifth, I'm sure a bunch of folks here have better more concrete recs.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

A random list of complaints I have with Forgive Me Father

-I don't like the vignetting it has, the with horizontal black bars on top and below, and they can't be disabled.
-The bloom is super exaggerated, and I say it as someone who played hundreds of hours of GZDoom with bloom enabled

-I know it's part of the comic style it uses, but in general it has a very saturated shadows and lightning, hurting visibility to the point it affects the gameplay.
-The movement. Oh man, the movement, it feels a bit off. It's fast like in Doom, but there is no inertia. There is also little to no difference in walking forward or strafing or going backwards. It seems your speed in the XY coordinates is always the same so you go super fast if you are climbing up a high slope. Just off.
-The enemies a cultists and Lovecraftians monsters all in a 20s setting... but the author has put, how to say it... radio comms on them. LIke, *click* arggh! *zzz* * click* or *click* medic! *ztunn* * click*, which I usually associate more with Arma, Half Life or FEAR. They feel jarring here.
-It uses checkpoints as save system, I don't have to explain myself here. Although as levels aren't large, they aren't a big issue.

On the other hand it uses to good effect the 'abstracted' type of level design, that mixed real world setting with almost arbitrary geometry, it goes well with the theme of the game.

I had fun with this when I picked it up today and it was fun to play a "boomer shooter" that wasn't trying to look boomer. It's definitely not perfect, though. I will say this, the journalist's voice acting is distractingly bad.

- The bloom looks better in monochrome.

- It's hurting your visibility on purpose. Makes the zombies scarier, too.

- The movement is not super great, feels floaty.

- Yeah the HL1 marine voices on some of the Lovecraftian monsters are weird and feel like homage-as-placeholder.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I had fun with this when I picked it up today and it was fun to play a "boomer shooter" that wasn't trying to look boomer. It's definitely not perfect, though. I will say this, the journalist's voice acting is distractingly bad.

- The bloom looks better in monochrome.

- It's hurting your visibility on purpose. Makes the zombies scarier, too.

- The movement is not super great, feels floaty.

- Yeah the HL1 marine voices on some of the Lovecraftian monsters are weird and feel like homage-as-placeholder.

A funny (but small) issue of the game is that it seems it only has a model of interactive door, so in the middle of a cavern you find this...

In any case I ended up getting accustomed to the movement and I'm having fun with the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

A funny (but small) issue of the game is that it seems it only has a model of interactive door, so in the middle of a cavern you find this...

This whips rear end actually