Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/CMK_UK/status/1589002501214375936

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Pistol_Pete posted:

Huh, was out in Bristol city centre today and there were literally dozens of uniformed Armed Forces personnel around town flogging poppies in what was obviously a well organised operation. I'm sure it never used to be like this in the past, used to just be really old ww2 veterans selling them outside supermarkets and stuff. Perhaps maximising poppy uptake is now considered to be a critical national security issue :tinfoil:

I saw them too. In 'we're not even hiding it any more' news they were palling around with Darrh Vader and Imperial Stormtroopers

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

How likely is it that if they applied the same standards they could deport their own parents.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Z the IVth posted:

How likely is it that if they applied the same standards they could deport their own parents.

I believe Patel acknowledged that her parents wouldn't have been able to come here now and she Did Not Care?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I don't think you'll catch tories out on that, they'd sell their own parents, deporting them is barely a sidestep.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

I saw them too. In 'we're not even hiding it any more' news they were palling around with Darrh Vader and Imperial Stormtroopers

The 501st are a group of Star Wars cosplay mentalists who are officially associated with the RBL

There seem to be loads of them in Bristol

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

The paramedics are voting next week too, and from the paramedics I know they think it will pass.

Midwives also voting on 11th, but I doubt that will pass.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Nov 6, 2022

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
X-posting from WhatsApp:

A quick reminder that the Queen died less than 2 months ago 😆 and it's completely forgotten.

The older she got & the more inevitable her death became, I had it in my head that it was going to be a solid year of mourning, of "This is the first time we've done X since the Queen died". As is, it was barely a ripple.

Not that I'm complaining, it's just fascinating that things are so hosed that a once-in-a-generation event like that happened and it had no staying power in the news cycle.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Exciting headline, but they haven't actually finished counting yet and it's conducted on a per trust basis.

On the ground it's been the same old conflict - there are a lot of nurses anxious that voting to strike makes them a bad nurse because they would be putting themselves before patienr safety. And then of course you have the management wannabes keen to tell us how irresponsible it would be.

Personally it's a profession thats gone from being reasonably well paid and rewarding to a job where year on year it gets more difficult, with fewer and fewer decent staff to support. All the while being perfectly happy to pay huge wages to agency staff and massively enhanced rates to anyone prepared to work any extra hours

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mourning Due posted:

X-posting from WhatsApp:

A quick reminder that the Queen died less than 2 months ago 😆 and it's completely forgotten.

The older she got & the more inevitable her death became, I had it in my head that it was going to be a solid year of mourning, of "This is the first time we've done X since the Queen died". As is, it was barely a ripple.

Not that I'm complaining, it's just fascinating that things are so hosed that a once-in-a-generation event like that happened and it had no staying power in the news cycle.

There was like a month of insane bullshit which reminded the rest of the world how brain-damaged Britain is. But somehow you expected more? Should Sky News have a "Still Dead" chyron running at all times? I admit it would be reassuring, but they didnt do it for Thatcher...

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Turns out the media all forgot that part of the appeal of monarchy is easy succession - that replacing a ceremonial Queen with a King doesn't actually change that much?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Personally it's a profession thats gone from being reasonably well paid and rewarding to a job where year on year it gets more difficult, with fewer and fewer decent staff to support. All the while being perfectly happy to pay huge wages to agency staff and massively enhanced rates to anyone prepared to work any extra hours

My trust decided to make a stand and reduced the enhanced rates, only to find out that nurses weren't actually happy with that.
Which isn't remotely surprising - there are loads of staff who rely on those extra hours to make ends meet. I just find it funny, since anyone who's worked in the NHS knows that the most important job requirement for an NHS member of staff is to bitch and moan about literally everything.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Turns out the media all forgot that part of the appeal of monarchy is easy succession - that replacing a ceremonial Queen with a King doesn't actually change that much?

username post combo

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

My wife’s trust had been doing really shady poo poo like offering “enhanced rates for bank shifts in ED” then when people turn up for these shifts being told that they don’t need staff in there for that shift and being sent to an eternally short staffed ward instead - which doesn’t qualify for the enchanted rate.

That ‘offer’ suddenly stopped after lots of complaining and has gone very quiet

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
My friend is a HDU nurse, acute care or something I think is the actual title. Where you go when you're at deaths door and need constant monitoring and support.

She voted to strike even though her department isn't allowed to due to the patient to staff ratio requirements. Said shes going to go picket on her days off if it goes ahead.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

Failed Imagineer posted:

There was like a month of insane bullshit which reminded the rest of the world how brain-damaged Britain is. But somehow you expected more? Should Sky News have a "Still Dead" chyron running at all times? I admit it would be reassuring, but they didnt do it for Thatcher...

😆😆😆

I don't know really. Like, I'm not unhappy, it's just interesting that "platty jubes" dominated the news for like 6 months. I guess I was hoping for more bollocks, like poppy Christmas but for queen mourning.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Tbf it might have had more staying power if Liz Truss's self-implosion hadn't come straight after

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Mourning Due posted:

😆😆😆

I don't know really. Like, I'm not unhappy, it's just interesting that "platty jubes" dominated the news for like 6 months. I guess I was hoping for more bollocks, like poppy Christmas but for queen mourning.

well the opium poppy was taken and the only other symbol of empire anyone could think to flog was goliwogs which was a bit far even for them

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

BalloonFish posted:

There were some Air Cadets selling poppies in town today. Aside from the general War Christmas trend which this thread is very familiar with, something about the (as far as I can see) recent development of getting uniformed squaddies/matelots/crabs to sell poppies is really grinding my gears this year. It seems that 'Poppy Day' is now being pushed as a thing in itself (maybe it was more established in London?). But the poppy was originally meant to symbolise almost everything except serving personnel. The RBL was founded to represent and support ex-servicemen, the poppy was introduced partly as a means of employment for otherwise unemployed or disabled former soldiers and the point was that other ex-servicemen bought one to support the RBL and for it to act as a visual reminder not only of those killed, but those who did return but weren't being treated as the heroes that the politicians' speeches and the propaganda said they were. The poppy had an element of quiet, insistent protest - the RBL was needed because the state had failed those who had served it. They were for the civilian community, not the serving armed forces. And they were traditionally sold by civilian volunteers - many of whom were, of course, WW1 veterans but the point was that they were now civilians.

It becoming the norm for military personnel to be the ones predominantly selling them is an inversion of that, almost to the point of mockery. On top of all the awful "Future Soldier" etc. stuff and the general shift from "let's quietly and sombrely remember the millions who died so that we never let it happen again" to "Let's celebrate the cause for which all those people died by wearing a poppy-themed onesie while watching some Chelsea Pensioners sing 'I Vow To Thee My Country' to an audience of schoolkids and TV celebs".

Id guess at least a part of the shift is all the WW1/2 veterans dieing off and being replaced with the kind of psychos that would have actively volunteered to serve in the british military over the past 60 odd years.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
FWIW I feel like there are far fewer people (at least in London) wearing them than I’ve seen previously.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

serious gaylord posted:

My friend is a HDU nurse, acute care or something I think is the actual title. Where you go when you're at deaths door and need constant monitoring and support.

She voted to strike even though her department isn't allowed to due to the patient to staff ratio requirements. Said shes going to go picket on her days off if it goes ahead.

Yes healthcare strikes follow the life-preserving care model meaning that even if a union is on strike they will work to ensure emergency care and required constant surveillance parts of the service will have minimum safe staffing levels. Ideally this means all other services are cancelled and staff drawn from all other departments to cover this, if you remember the junior doctors strike a few years back it meant that registrars and consultants were operating Emergency Departments (clinical outcomes for ED attenders actually rose during the strike I believe because of this) and this time will be no different. This does mean that chronically shortstaffed areas may have very small numbers of strikers available so if you have any sway over them please ask them to use their free time to picket like the above because it really needs to be visible that a strike is on and is popular, particularly as the RMT and posties have been drawn back into negotiations and if they aren't continuing action then that's a real blow to the movement. Fingers crossed that the other health ballots like UNISON also reach the mark, particularly as UNISON is a bit broader and so many can strike without risking patient treatment which will boost the numbers significantly.

Also I think it'll take the Kings Speech this Christmas for a lot of people to start clocking that the Queen is actually properly dead and that's a good thing as they'll start to reassess the whole monarchy business right as things get cold and miserable.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

I mean, we still get Diana headlines decades later. The Express should have a team of dedicated mediums on the case for 'Er Maj.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mourning Due posted:

😆😆😆

I get what you mean. Supposedly the queen is the most important thing in the universe right up until it isn't, which does get you the impression that it's really just another confected thing to care about by the media, it gets exactly the same treatment as every other thing that is the most important thing ever for a month until it isn't.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I get what you mean. Supposedly the queen is the most important thing in the universe right up until it isn't, which does get you the impression that it's really just another confected thing to care about by the media, it gets exactly the same treatment as every other thing that is the most important thing ever for a month until it isn't.

Except for the actual most important thing (climate change killing the planet), which nobody gives a shite about . Makes u thunk

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Starmer has pinpointed the real problem in the NHS

https://twitter.com/BBCScotlandNews/status/1589182487258927104?t=aL-CK7kGELoab4unkfGNXA

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

We'd have more principled opposition if they just replaced him with one of those nodding churchill puppets

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Dead Queen dropped out of the media quicker than you'd think because there's a strong interest in stopping Charles from appearing new, controversial or at all negotiable. The more you play up the singular nature of his mum the more insubstantial he looks by comparison.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
What the fk is the matter with Starmer & co? Really trying to out-fash the Tories on immigration.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What the fk is the matter with Starmer & co? Really trying to out-fash the Tories on immigration.

They have an election to win you see. The stick figure Peter mandelson drew on the whiteboard titled red wall voter is captioned "anti-imigration" and so they, too, must be.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
bri'iish doctors for ignoring bri'iish trans teens bri'iish gillick competence gawd save the kang vote bri'iish laybuh party

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also, like, I think they just are. No reason to imagine that the new labour dickheads are capable of seeing people in general as anything but tools, and with immigrants that means either disposable workforce or political tool to show how patriotic you are.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
wtf gavin williamson is a sir?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

NotJustANumber99 posted:

wtf gavin williamson is a sir?

He blackmailed Johnson into a knighthood by threatening to spill some of the many beans he had on the twat

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The Lib Dems everyone

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1589023306971287553?s=20&t=fkUlhu0_7AvkOMnCuuaKdQ

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

a casual glance at the related articles shows that the British Medical Association says the same. it's just their reasoning is "we need a healthcare system that is sustainable and that people want to work for, so we need to fund it enough that it doesn't rely solely on people willing to work 110hr weeks" whereas starmer probably got briefed on this four months ago and doesn't remember anything except a crude drawing of a factory with "british families" on the side

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Love that even this naked grovelling to the preferred class is means-tested in a useless and unhelpful way.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I had a taxi the other day with one of the near mythical red wall voters. I asked what he thought of the new PM and he said he didn't like to talk about politics much, then went on a massive racist rant.

He said he was a Boris man through and through and that him and his daughters all proudly voted Conservative as Boris handled everything they threw at him.

Hated unions with the same passion we dislike capitalism because when he was young his dad told him to and pretty much puts all men in suits at the same level of cuntery but not the tories?? As Thatcher "got things done"

Then he suddenly pivoted to the history of the miners strikes, knew all about the battle of Orgreave and was entirely anti cop and pro worker and on the side of the miners despite loving thatcher!

Bloody whiplash.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

He didn't call it an invasion. That's the overton window, right there

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mebh posted:

I had a taxi the other day with one of the near mythical red wall voters. I asked what he thought of the new PM and he said he didn't like to talk about politics much, then went on a massive racist rant.

He said he was a Boris man through and through and that him and his daughters all proudly voted Conservative as Boris handled everything they threw at him.

Hated unions with the same passion we dislike capitalism because when he was young his dad told him to and pretty much puts all men in suits at the same level of cuntery but not the tories?? As Thatcher "got things done"

Then he suddenly pivoted to the history of the miners strikes, knew all about the battle of Orgreave and was entirely anti cop and pro worker and on the side of the miners despite loving thatcher!

Bloody whiplash.

Unfortunately I encounter far too many people with absolutely nonsensical political positions like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

OwlFancier posted:

Unfortunately I encounter far too many people with absolutely nonsensical political positions

turn your monitor on.