Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I think probably the majority of people everywhere like to conceive of themselves as freethinker contrarian politics understanders, and thus manage to talk themselves into this kind of incoherent gibberish. The pro-miner/pro-Thatcher angle is pretty solid :brainworms: tho

E: crap, uninsightful snipe 4 u, coming straight outta Ireland (+353)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Unfortunately I encounter far too many people with absolutely nonsensical political positions like this.

I'm starting to think "I don't talk about politics much" is code for "I have poo poo views that make no sense and everyone disagrees with me, but I've dug a massive hole and just want validation because my wife left me"

E: 3 legged kitten with new toy running upstairs for your snipe Failed Imagineer

Mebh fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Nov 6, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mebh posted:

I'm starting to think "I don't talk about politics much" is code for "I have poo poo views that make no sense and everyone disagrees with me, but I've dug a massive hole and just want validation because my wife left me"

Or at least "I don't talk about politics much and that is why my views are absolutely insane because if I did talk about politics (other than talking politics at people) I might get some suggestions to make it more coherent"

Or possibly "I don't think my opinions are politics because politics is what the wokey students do"

Lots of options really.

Like if I'm being charitable I think it's having political views that aren't really based in material things consistently, but are far more just a collection of ideas that you like the sound of. Aesthetic politics, basically, which probably explains why it's often very right wing because the right loves their aesthetic politics.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Nov 6, 2022

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I just want to see Keith try to triangulate any of those because loving lol.

Random aside. Bought some used German army boots for 46 quid on ebay from a company that has hundreds of them.

Comfiest boots I've ever worn. Cleaned, polished and relaced them and now I have amazing boots for winter.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
There’s definitely been a lot of US studies about how the triangulation politicians are addicted do doesn’t work at all, because swing voters don’t typically have centrist views.

They have a wild grab bag of extreme views from all bits of the political spectrum.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Where do you all find these taxi drivers? The last two in-depth conversations I had was one driver saying that my working for an animal rescue made Allah happy, and that He would reward me for taking care of His creations, and the other driver being absolutely fascinated by the concept of nuns (it made sense in context) and saying that he and his Christian neighbour don't really understand each other's religion but still put each other's bins out.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Obviously Starmer is a moron, but skimming through the article, his point is that we should be training people in the UK. I'd have to listen to the interview to know whether his "immigration bad" comment was unprompted, or the response to a question.
But he isn't wrong on the first point - the UK should be training more staff. A lot of this is due to the Tories eviscerating the pipeline for clinical staff (by cancelling bursaries and slashing the number of commissioned places on courses), which should be the first thing any non-Tory mentions when talking about the NHS, but the other part is that if you're bright enough to consider a clinical career within the NHS, you're bright enough to realise that Labour aren't going to improve things much. So you know you'd be setting yourself up for a career of pain. (no kinkshaming)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

peanut- posted:

There’s definitely been a lot of US studies about how the triangulation politicians are addicted do doesn’t work at all, because swing voters don’t typically have centrist views.

They have a wild grab bag of extreme views from all bits of the political spectrum.

clearly what we need is the hoxhaist-thatcherite-lysenkoist candidate, massive subsidies for bunkers built on agricultural land by private business.

kingturnip posted:

Obviously Starmer is a moron, but skimming through the article, his point is that we should be training people in the UK. I'd have to listen to the interview to know whether his "immigration bad" comment was unprompted, or the response to a question.
But he isn't wrong on the first point - the UK should be training more staff. A lot of this is due to the Tories eviscerating the pipeline for clinical staff (by cancelling bursaries and slashing the number of commissioned places on courses), which should be the first thing any non-Tory mentions when talking about the NHS, but the other part is that if you're bright enough to consider a clinical career within the NHS, you're bright enough to realise that Labour aren't going to improve things much. So you know you'd be setting yourself up for a career of pain. (no kinkshaming)

Oh sure, the UK should be training people domestically to meet its workforce needs, but that's something that takes decades to pay off and won't fix the immediate problem in the healthcare system, so I find it very difficult to believe that this is anything but trying to appeal to the "i don't want to see a forrin doctor" crowd.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Nov 6, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I don't know why more political tendencies don't embrace the building of millions of tiny bunkers. I just think they're neat

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

If you want to be totally clear as to Keir said and meant...

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1589201343499341825

.... I'm not sure the video will help much

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

fuctifino posted:

If you want to be totally clear as to Keir said and meant...

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1589201343499341825

.... I'm not sure the video will help much

post/username combo

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

kingturnip posted:

But he isn't wrong on the first point - the UK should be training more staff. A lot of this is due to the Tories eviscerating the pipeline for clinical staff (by cancelling bursaries and slashing the number of commissioned places on courses)

Additional point: University funding has been slashed to the point where student fees are the dominant source of income. International students pay more, and so there is an incentive to court more foreign students. People criticise fees, which is valid, but the money has to come from somewhere. Healthcare degrees are not cheap and I can't believe the number of people who don't realise that £9k a year is a drop in the ocean. How much do they think it costs to kit out and run a fully equiped anatomy lab? The cold storage, the dissection tools, the X-ray and CT scanners, all the disposable PPE, the up-to-date clinical textbooks? The answer is that humanities and social science students on cheaper degrees subsidise them, and so if the number of English Literature students fall because "it's a pointless degree taught by the Wokerati", it becomes harder to fund the expensive clinical degrees.

So yes, train our own students, but recognise that this is going to cost money.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Lol this is a good example of Kier being told about an issue "NHS has become reliant on desperately trying to lure foreign health workers to fill gaps in staffing" and somehow flipped it in his head that the problem is too many overseas workers.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

OwlFancier posted:

I find it very difficult to believe that this is anything but trying to appeal to the "i don't want to see a forrin doctor" crowd.

He says enough poo poo that is explicitly awful that I'm not sure how useful it is umming and ahhing over things that can be construed as something vaguely positive.

I think this says a lot more about the BBCs reporting than keith

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Mourning Due posted:

X-posting from WhatsApp:

A quick reminder that the Queen died less than 2 months ago 😆 and it's completely forgotten.

The older she got & the more inevitable her death became, I had it in my head that it was going to be a solid year of mourning, of "This is the first time we've done X since the Queen died". As is, it was barely a ripple.

Not that I'm complaining, it's just fascinating that things are so hosed that a once-in-a-generation event like that happened and it had no staying power in the news cycle.

they did a wee minute or so long tribute to her at the ITV national telly awards :)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, we still get Diana headlines decades later. The Express should have a team of dedicated mediums on the case for 'Er Maj.

and maddy

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jiggerypokery posted:

He says enough poo poo that is explicitly awful that I'm not sure how useful it is umming and ahhing over things that can be construed as something vaguely positive.

I think this says a lot more about the BBCs reporting than keith

I'm sure all the "innovative" "high skill" people will be more useful than the nurses.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

keir is a happiness vacuum

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

why does he always sound like he has a cold

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

why does he always sound like he has a cold

Because he's always been medicating for one with brandy.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
they pay a fortune for people to train them to sound like that lol

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
All the white NHS workers are being forced out by Johnny Foreigners. We will fix this by having private companies get NHS contracts and have them hire foreign workers instead.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

Mourning Due posted:

X-posting from WhatsApp:

A quick reminder that the Queen died less than 2 months ago 😆 and it's completely forgotten.

The older she got & the more inevitable her death became, I had it in my head that it was going to be a solid year of mourning, of "This is the first time we've done X since the Queen died". As is, it was barely a ripple.

Not that I'm complaining, it's just fascinating that things are so hosed that a once-in-a-generation event like that happened and it had no staying power in the news cycle.

Username/post combo.

It was all pretty underwhelming in the end. After looming on the horizon for years it was all done and dusted in two weeks and we all promptly moved on. In less Interesting Times it might have had more impact but there's too much poo poo that actually matters going on right now.

And lol at all the PMs who imagined themselves presiding over the Queen's death for it to fall in the lap of 45 day Truss.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

escapegoat posted:

Username/post combo.

It was all pretty underwhelming in the end. After looming on the horizon for years it was all done and dusted in two weeks and we all promptly moved on. In less Interesting Times it might have had more impact but there's too much poo poo that actually matters going on right now.

And lol at all the PMs who imagined themselves presiding over the Queen's death for it to fall in the lap of 45 day Truss.

Her premiership was worth it purely on the basis that it denied fuckface Johnson the chance to strut his stuff pretending to be Churchill for the Queen and humiliated him in the cheap seats.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Dulce et Tescorum est

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Mega Comrade posted:

Lol this is a good example of Kier being told about an issue "NHS has become reliant on desperately trying to lure foreign health workers to fill gaps in staffing" and somehow flipped it in his head that the problem is too many overseas workers.

I would love to see the first politician try to eject all the foreign staff from the NHS.

It'd make what Truss's mini-budget did to the economy look like a mild bump in comparison.

No doctors, no nurses, no drivers, cleaners etc.

You'll probably have a boatload of admin and managerial staff left though!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Z the IVth posted:

You'll probably have a boatload of admin and managerial staff left though!

Saying the quiet part aloud there.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mebh posted:

He said he was a Boris man through and through and that him and his daughters all proudly voted Conservative as Boris handled everything they threw at him.

Hated unions with the same passion we dislike capitalism because when he was young his dad told him to and pretty much puts all men in suits at the same level of cuntery but not the tories??
This is my theory about Starmer, is that no matter how much he tries to pander to racist shitheads, they'll always recognise him as a middle management bellend, the exact kind who tends to make their jobs hell, by coming up with useless ideas and handwringing over not being able to give them a raise (while also getting a company car and a nice office and very obviously getting paid double what their underlings are).

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Nenonen posted:

Dulce et Tescorum est

pro patria Morrisons

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

escapegoat posted:

Username/post combo.

When she had the sense to keep her head down and stay in the background during the mourning period, I briefly wondered if perhaps Truss had some political nous after all lol.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Area X from Annihilation getting festive, I see.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

They seem to have missed a few since WWI. Got the Falklands on there though so that's the important one.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Angepain posted:

They seem to have missed a few since WWI. Got the Falklands on there though so that's the important one.

Blackburn forgot those ones.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://mobile.twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1589286289177993219

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I'm sure I've seen dehumidifiers mentioned here before. I tried a thread search, but couldn't find it. Is there a thread-recommended dehumidifier or advice on what I should look for? Basically the plan is to help with drying clothes out given it's now cold and wet outside so not great for that.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1588991257929474048

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Meaco DD8L Zambezi is my go to recommendation for dealing with cold damp, you can usually find it with a decent discount.

Desiccant dehumidifiers in general outperform compressor ones for that. Peltier ones generally bad.

Desiccant dehumidifiers produce more waste heat but that's a feature this time of year. Put your thermostat in the same room.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Sad Panda posted:

I'm sure I've seen dehumidifiers mentioned here before. I tried a thread search, but couldn't find it. Is there a thread-recommended dehumidifier or advice on what I should look for? Basically the plan is to help with drying clothes out given it's now cold and wet outside so not great for that.

I did a post on it but it might be on the last thread but tldr you want a dessicant drum type and it's gonna generate waste heat you will want to take advantage of

I have an inventor brand 8 litre/day capacity one and it's kicked arse so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jedit posted:

Because he's always been medicating for one with brandy.
I’d say he’s medicating for three at least