Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah you have to have a special kind of broken Nintendo fan boy brain to think playing on a switch is better than the deck because the UI is sharper lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I don't think it's even Nintendo brain, it's graphics snob brain where you're willing to give up all kinds of things so long as the blacks are a bit better.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean if your a graphics guy then you ain’t going nowhere near the switch

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

My sons and I enjoy playing Fortnite once in a while; I know I have to download Heroic for that, sign in, download fortnite and blah blah blah... does anyone know how well it runs with the Deck-specific controls? Can I do my whole 'gyro while touching the right thumbstick' thing?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean if your a graphics guy then you ain’t going nowhere near the switch

Or the deck for that matter.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

uiruki posted:

He also recommended locking it at 30fps instead of changing the refresh rate to 50 if he was getting frame drops.
This is what he said:

Oliver Mackenzie posted:

Capping the frame-rate to 30fps using the in-game frame-rate limiter seemed to work fine however, and ended up being preferable to the SteamOS limiter as it incurred a much smaller increase to input latency. Switching the display to 40Hz is another option for a smoother, consistent experience.
So he's recommending locking to either 30 or 40 as an option. His comment about not using the OS frame limiter has to do with the added input latency with vsync, which is something I've written about before.

I haven't installed P5R yet and I'm not sure if the internal limiter can do 40 FPS or if it requires vsync, but if you're especially sensitive to input latency his comment about running at 30 FPS using the internal limiter makes sense.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 6, 2022

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
It's weird, but I felt my Switch Oled menu and EShop were crazy choppy compared to the Steam Deck.

Also discovered my issue with the Steam Controller and Steam Deck inputs not registering with games. Just had to delete the proton files associated with the game, set compatibility to Proton Experimental. It was messing with older games like Dead Soace and Saw, but also Nickelodeon All Stars Brawl... Finally I can play out Rocko's campaign and be done with the game forever.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

My sons and I enjoy playing Fortnite once in a while; I know I have to download Heroic for that, sign in, download fortnite and blah blah blah... does anyone know how well it runs with the Deck-specific controls? Can I do my whole 'gyro while touching the right thumbstick' thing?

You have to install windows to play Fortnite on the deck because the anticheat poo poo doesn’t work under wine/proton and Epic have no plans to make/let it work.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ehh, if there’s no clear cut winner between two versions, I can understand the OLED screen being the tipping point. Persona 5 is a very stylish turn based JRPG with lots of bright colors contrasting against black.

Steam Deck is very open, both with software and to a degree, hardware. You can buy the official replacement parts and install them yourself, including the screen. But also, you can install some third party parts, such as SSDs, and those hall sensor analog sticks. It makes me wonder if any company has considered working on an OLED screen for Steam Deck.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

History Comes Inside! posted:

You have to install windows to play Fortnite on the deck because the anticheat poo poo doesn’t work under wine/proton and Epic have no plans to make/let it work.

There's also ~the cloud~ option

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
There is no world where a game that runs at 360p in the switch is ever better than a game at 729p on Deck

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

History Comes Inside! posted:

Ah for gently caress sake. Welp, thanks for letting me know.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Is there anyway to reduce Bluetooth audio delay? It seems crazy bad on the deck compared to other devices.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

are yall using proton experimental vel protonGE sive proton up-qt? this instruction says you need to add it as non steam gme and use it manually that way, like it doesn''t replace the default

my deck says proton 7 and proton experimental are installed. is that the same as GE and up-qt? i dont know which is actually being used or how to set default.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Kwolok posted:

Is there anyway to reduce Bluetooth audio delay? It seems crazy bad on the deck compared to other devices.

high quality audio is more intense than you'd think. have you tested whether it works well with a lower audio fidelity setting?

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Mescal posted:

high quality audio is more intense than you'd think. have you tested whether it works well with a lower audio fidelity setting?

I don't know how to do that ... I don't gently caress around with desktop mode

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I feel like if you're a big graphics snob you're not bothering too much with handhelds in general

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

ExcessBLarg! posted:

This is what he said:

So he's recommending locking to either 30 or 40 as an option. His comment about not using the OS frame limiter has to do with the added input latency with vsync, which is something I've written about before.

I haven't installed P5R yet and I'm not sure if the internal limiter can do 40 FPS or if it requires vsync, but if you're especially sensitive to input latency his comment about running at 30 FPS using the internal limiter makes sense.

He doesn't say that in the video, which is what I watched. He says a 30fps limit would be what he preferred if he were to play it on Deck. In my experience, admittedly only about 10 hours in, you can just leave it at 60 in dungeons and change it to 45-50 outside. It handles it fine and at 40 I suspect you can get a nice battery saving if you want more than the 3-3.5 hours or so it looks like I'm getting at 60. The heaviest bit in the port I've seen does seem to be the title screen: if you leave it for a bit the game just keeps spawning NPCs in and eventually it settles down in the mid to low 40s. On my big PC (3900X/3080) it skirts surprisingly close to 60, believe it or not.

The issue in the game isn't input latency, so much as the camera controlling poorly, which I suspect would be a thing in all versions as it was bad on the PS4 original and it still feels bad at 120fps.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

uiruki posted:

He doesn't say that in the video, which is what I watched. He says a 30fps limit would be what he preferred if he were to play it on Deck.
I haven't seen the video yet so I'm not sure of the context for which he stated his preferences, unless he prefers 30 FPS for some stylistic reason of its own.

Regarding the OLED, I can understand why someone would preference the SWOLED's color vibrancy over other factors in a highly stylistic game. Personally I think compromising all of frame rate, resolution, loading time, and price is too much, but I can understand it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I have a PlayStation 5 headphones (don't actually have the console) that's a 2.4ghz dongle. It works great with switch but the only way to switch from headphone back to HDMI output for audio on Switch is to unplug the dongle. On Steam Deck I have a jsaux dock I'm going to use, and was wondering, is it likely I'll be able to easily switch between audio out just by turning my headphones on or off on then? Cause that's how it works when I use it on my laptop.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Kind Words is on sale. Just mentioning it because I think it is a really good fit for the Steam Deck!

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Kwolok posted:

I'm pretty sure someone posted here in the past about how to switch to a low latency codec, that'll help some I bet.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Lord Lambeth posted:

Kind Words is on sale. Just mentioning it because I think it is a really good fit for the Steam Deck!

This is a very good game. It was a great exercise for my kids to give words of encouragement to those that need it, especially early in the pandemic. I encourage everyone to give it a shot.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I have a PlayStation 5 headphones (don't actually have the console) that's a 2.4ghz dongle. It works great with switch but the only way to switch from headphone back to HDMI output for audio on Switch is to unplug the dongle. On Steam Deck I have a jsaux dock I'm going to use, and was wondering, is it likely I'll be able to easily switch between audio out just by turning my headphones on or off on then? Cause that's how it works when I use it on my laptop.

Yeah. I used my PS5 Pulse headset on my JSAUX dock with zero issue. Just popped the dongle in a USB slot, turned the headphones on, and they just worked.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Just got Switch emulation working and it's slick as hell :toot:

I had to buy a new SD card for $8.50 and a little piece of plastic to enable RCM boot mode for $6.50, and I didn't dump any cartridge or eShop games, but the procedure was pretty easy once I had all my stuff. Would recommend. Just try to get Yuzu working on your PC first, for simplicity's sake

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lord Lambeth posted:

This thread costs me so much money.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Subjunctive posted:

This thread costs me so much money.

You won't regret it, it's a lovely thing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

HopperUK posted:

You won't regret it, it's a lovely thing.

I’m travelling and my hotel room has a big bathtub so I think tonight is a bath, a glass of wine, and Kind Words.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I've been telling folks in my life about Kind Words about how great it was but I was never able to show them because it was on Steam and locked to my PC.

But now it's on my Steam Deck! I can bring that to people and show them Kind Words.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

These are Tingle's kind words don't steal them

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

From the reviews: “Thumbs up: someone told me to kill myself”

(I’m sure the intersection of people both buying this game and being the type to do that is low just never 0)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Tweak posted:

(I’m sure the intersection of people both buying this game and being the type to do that is low just never 0)

I've never seen anything like that. I'm sure it happens occasionally but the moderation or whatever they have seems to be overall very, very good.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Tweak posted:

both online pvp and online co-op supported

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Not to brag but after a sweaty weekend I managed to encrypt the https://goondeckwiki.com/.

Thank you. That is all. It's now safe to make topics about vent sniffing without anybody listening.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I haven't seen the video yet so I'm not sure of the context for which he stated his preferences, unless he prefers 30 FPS for some stylistic reason of its own.
I watched the video and he just didn't mention 40 FPS probably for brevity.

That said, I still don't quite agree with his conclusion. If you were to play P5R end-to-end today, playing it on the SWOLED is compelling. But this is a 100+ hour RPG that folks routinely start and restart in fits. Buy it today and there's a good chance you're still playing it (or revising it) five years from now. In that context the Steam version will surely run on an OLED Deck successor, or screen mod, or whatever, while the performance issues in the Switch version won't ever be remedied.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

The only thing I'll ever play on the switch again is pokemon unless/until they've figured out how to hack into Home on the steamdeck. An uncomfortable tablet with rapidly failing controllers and intolerable performance.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I watched the video and he just didn't mention 40 FPS probably for brevity.

That said, I still don't quite agree with his conclusion. If you were to play P5R end-to-end today, playing it on the SWOLED is compelling. But this is a 100+ hour RPG that folks routinely start and restart in fits. Buy it today and there's a good chance you're still playing it (or revising it) five years from now. In that context the Steam version will surely run on an OLED Deck successor, or screen mod, or whatever, while the performance issues in the Switch version won't ever be remedied.

I think we’ll see a materially faster Switch 2, to which you will be able to carry over existing saves and games, since there was stuff about it in the NVIDIA leaks. Maybe even before Valve releases an OLED Deck, but certainly at some point rather than “won’t ever be remedied”.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

But who knows if the games that are currently out on the Switch will be updated/remastered to benefit from that increase in specs, if it even ever comes to pass.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

But who knows if the games that are currently out on the Switch will be updated/remastered to benefit from that increase in specs, if it even ever comes to pass.

Yeah this.

There’s no guarantee on that at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

many decision makers at developers will assume the switch market does not care about performance whereas if they update something for steam it will get pushed to the frontpage of the store and result in sales