Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Extra Large Marge posted:

I'm not quite sure how anyone manages to use the internet without at least one adblocker.

I go to massively unreasonable lengths and have spent hundreds of dollars and learned Linux and a bunch of stupid fucky networking stuff to never have to see any internet adverts. If you invade my eye space, or my attention, without my explicit consent then gently caress you and gently caress your business model. I feel zero regrets about doing this.

My most, and related, boomer opinion is that in a similar vein, I don't understand why people spend thousands to advertise other people's companies (i.e wear designer clothes with big logos on.) Motherfucker if you want me to be a walking billboard for your garments business, then you should be both giving me the thing for free AND paying me as a media buy.

I'm still with Bill Hicks on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

I don't know. I mean, I said mine, and it's not even in support of a conservative position, but more resigning myself to one in my state. But no one read my word wall, so I guess I'm a crazy gun guy now.

This is SA, I don't know what I expected. Still glad to be back after all this time, anyhow.

We did read it, and you said out more guns in schools. That's ridiculous.

My old school opinion is putting more guns in schools is not the answer, which is pretty obvious to anyone who doesn't already embrace violence.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
A few pages ago I was getting vexed about the ‘my drug opinion is better than your drug opinion’ chat; the monkey paw curled, and now we have gun chat instead.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
well it isn't the what's your most cool adjacent opinion thread

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

satanic splash-back posted:

We did read it, and you said out more guns in schools. That's ridiculous.

My old school opinion is putting more guns in schools is not the answer, which is pretty obvious to anyone who doesn't already embrace violence.

I didn't say that though. I don't want more guns in schools. I'm saying if you're in that position and your local or state government provides no other means of dealing with school shootings but that, you almost have to if you are able.

You guys are selectively reading the sentences you want to.

What I want is for the Government to do its job and tackle the issues that lead up to and worsen shootings. They instead want to do dumb poo poo like basically putting an armory in schools. That's horseshit, but people have to live while they fight for laws to change, and in the system they inhabit.

That's not the same as wanting it to happen or supporting it.

I don't need anyone to agree with me, it's not a popular opinion. But I would like people disagreeing with it to actually argue what I'm actually saying, and not what they think I'm saying.

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 6, 2022

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My middle school had all the kids of drug dealers and illegal gambling runners putting their guns on top of their desk as a way of threatening the teachers. To be fair with the people who weren't threatening them, everyone aced every test.

An entire school full of gifted kids if you think about it.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Ok so maybe teachers shouldn't have guns. What about suicide vests? At least for parents-teachers night? As a kind of MAD sort of situation?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

"i dont want more guns in schools"
"i want the government to do its job"
"in lieu of that i want more guns in schools"

FUUUUUCK you.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

"i dont want more guns in schools"
"i want the government to do its job"
"in lieu of that i want more guns in schools"

FUUUUUCK you.

That last sentence is what you guys are getting wrong.

That should be: "if the government is only letting teachers have guns on school instead of working on the actual issues, and I can carry as a teacher, it's a logical action until such time that as government can be forced to take appropriate action."

Again, I DON'T WANT GUNS IN SCHOOLS. They shouldn't be anywhere near them. But you people in northern and western states have your heads screwed on straight. The South does not. So if you have NO OTHER OPTIONS and nothing else has changed, and you can, why would you not? Not saying anyone should.

Why is this so hard to understand? You can see a point in something without agreeing with it. That's literally my stance here. I don't agree with the republican "more guns in schools" stance, but since it's the winning argument in the South, if you are subjected to that, you would obviously do it if you can, on an individual level. Doesn't make it right or desireable.

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 6, 2022

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Because you are making a distinction without a difference. Whether or not it's "allowed" it is having teachers, untrained civilians, show up armed in classrooms. I can't believe you don't see how stupid this is.

It's already stupid we let stupid people walk around with guns on them. God drat I wouldn't trust a teacher to tie their own shoelaces but we have to.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 6, 2022

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Because you are making a distinction without a difference. Whether or not it's "allowed" it is having teachers, untrained civilians, show up armed in classrooms. I can't believe you don't see how stupid this is.

It's already stupid we let stupid people walk around with guns on them. God drat I wouldn't trust a teacher to tie their own shoelaces but we have to.

That's where you guys aren't understanding me. I'm talking about on the individual level, not policy. If, from the perspective of the teacher, this is what is presented to me, i
I would do it.

We as a society should not want that and strive to ensure it's not even a consideration. But if your choice is " be armed and have a sliver of a chance to defend yourself in an inescapable situation with no promise of police backup or new procedures or gun control, etc," and being unarmed, same scenario, wouldn't you take it, if you have a license? That's all I'm saying. Not that it's OK or right, or acceptable, or that teachers are really not trained for this (and should not be) or it's the thing to do. Just that given only a binary choice, it makes sense to make choice A vs choice B. That's it.

But the internet is where nuanced thought goes to die.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI
My opinions aren't wrong you're just stupid for not understanding them right & there's no such thing as a wrong opinion are both stupid, wrong boomer opinions

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Guns are good to have in the country. If you live in the country, you should probably have a gun.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Ok idk what's happening despite reading the last couple of pages but whatever this slapfight is needs to stop and get back on track

This is supposed to be a fun thread, not D&D

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Edit: saw the mod post after I wrote a huge effort post about it.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Ok idk what's happening despite reading the last couple of pages

Lmao

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Ok idk what's happening despite reading the last couple of pages but whatever this slapfight is needs to stop and get back on track

This is supposed to be a fun thread, not D&D

My bad, Guess I went on a whole tangent there. Didn't mean to derail. I will just drop the whole thing. Just wanted to say my piece without also being misrepresented was all. So apologies.

[Edit] And pride not letting me accept the L.

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 6, 2022

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i like led zeppelin

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Nightclubs are loving terrible.

Earwicker posted:

i like led zeppelin

I spent my entire youth being a good punk and hating 70s rock bands, but since I decided to try and get half decent at guitar a couple of years back, I think Led Zepplin are kind of fun.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Bottle Service just seems like a massive pointless ripoff at clubs. You pay an exorbitant amount of money for the privilege of having some liquor, mixers, and dibs on a table for a few hours? For a fraction of the cost you can buy all this at a liquor store and have a party at home.

Through my twenties I discovered that the "pre game" portion of the evening was more cost effective and fun than the clubbing part.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

TikTok is just non-sequitur short-form bursts of static and light signifying nothing.

Except this one which is awesome: https://www.tiktok.com/@timothyandsebastian/video/7153389389752618283

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

TikTok is just non-sequitur short-form bursts of static and light signifying nothing.

Except this one which is awesome: https://www.tiktok.com/@timothyandsebastian/video/7153389389752618283
Cosigned. But also more generally I feel tiktoks are often a bit meh until you see one that is profoundly funny and everything feels alright.

Boomer adjacency: Fleetwood Mac and the Grateful Dead made fantastic music and we are blessed to have it all available. Especially grateful dead because there is such a wealth of content.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Lol @ strapping teachers because "what else can you do?"

Half of them can't even use the copy machine. Let's give them click-kill machines and hope it works out.

This is why I've always advocated for remotely controlled machine guns mounted in every classroom and hallway, controlled by the police dept.

Sure, accidents will happen when Officer Wifebeat is too hung over and fat fingers the kill-everything-that-moves button, but that's the cost of safety.

And our brave officers will not have to go into scary places and risk their own lives when next week's school shooting happens. It's a win-win.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Earwicker posted:

i like led zeppelin

Black Sabbath did it better though.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

The Butcher posted:

Lol @ strapping teachers because "what else can you do?"

Half of them can't even use the copy machine. Let's give them click-kill machines and hope it works out.

This is why I've always advocated for remotely controlled machine guns mounted in every classroom and hallway, controlled by the police dept.

Sure, accidents will happen when Officer Wifebeat is too hung over and fat fingers the kill-everything-that-moves button, but that's the cost of safety.

And our brave officers will not have to go into scary places and risk their own lives when next week's school shooting happens. It's a win-win.

Whoops, you missed the part where the mod said stop.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Lampsacus posted:

Cosigned. But also more generally I feel tiktoks are often a bit meh until you see one that is profoundly funny and everything feels alright.

Boomer adjacency: Fleetwood Mac and the Grateful Dead made fantastic music and we are blessed to have it all available. Especially grateful dead because there is such a wealth of content.

Zoomers seem to love Fleetwood Mac. And I get it, they're great, but Nirvana and Fleetwood Mac are like the round glasses septum piercing e-girl starter kit bands.

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

There are too many channels on TV. So many channels, nothing to watch.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Most kids have plenty of guns at home. Really the main problem are the schools themselves - as my favorite boomer band once said, "we don't need no education, we don't need no mind control." Abolish schools now!

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
i think we coddle children too much. not in a "lets excuse abuse/trauma as building character" but why is there so many children tv shows or music. ill allow books but why cant they enjoy adult stuff and just find it boring. we shouldnt advertise to them or sell them major things because who cares youre only a child from what 0-12? all this capitalism for what a demographic thats only ensured if we keep loving? give the children a good home, good food, family, education, healthcare. but gently caress their pleasure they better get used to svu and hospital dramas.

in a similar vein i think marvel/comic movies are kind of dumb. those are basically for children and see above.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

R.I.P. isn’t pronounced rip

Versus isn’t pronounced verse

The “Bros.” part of Super Mario Bros. is pronounced brothers, not bros

But I’m not going to shake my fist at anyone who pronounces things like that so idc

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Disco Pope posted:

Zoomers seem to love Fleetwood Mac. And I get it, they're great, but Nirvana and Fleetwood Mac are like the round glasses septum piercing e-girl starter kit bands.
hell yeah!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

i think we coddle children too much. not in a "lets excuse abuse/trauma as building character" but why is there so many children tv shows or music. ill allow books but why cant they enjoy adult stuff and just find it boring. we shouldnt advertise to them or sell them major things because who cares youre only a child from what 0-12? all this capitalism for what a demographic thats only ensured if we keep loving? give the children a good home, good food, family, education, healthcare. but gently caress their pleasure they better get used to svu and hospital dramas.

in a similar vein i think marvel/comic movies are kind of dumb. those are basically for children and see above.

:yossame:

Every 7-11 yr old should be forced to watch MASH reruns with their mom on Saturday afternoon cause there’s gently caress all else to do.

Builds character

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Game shows and soap operas was like the only thing I watched as a kid until MTV came along.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

I think their main problem is that they are not for children. They're for everyone, and everyone of our age grew up eating that food, consuming it, and being unable to move on. Stuff for children is much different and much worse.

My main complaint re: stuff for children is that stuff for children used to be dark, and there's not enough cars being crushed like in brave little toaster, or everything re: judge doom, or even death scenes that weren't "and then they accidentally died due to gravity, isn't that a pity, good thing the hero didn't do anything to be part of it". Every kid story used to have some horror element to it and now that is gone from almost every content, for children or otherwise.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI
Playgrounds are way shittier today than they used to be. Safety went way too far.

Not that it matters cause kids don't play outside anymore. Kids need just go outside and play and come home when the streetlights come on.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

lol Did this guy really just say that he thinks hillbilly red states want teachers to have guns because the government isn’t doing enough to prevent school shootings

Edit oops didn’t see Seth’s post. Well my lol still stands but I won’t dig deeper.

My boomer opinion is that a large amount of homeless willingly choose that lifestyle and the blanket white knighting for the homeless does more harm than good

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 7, 2022

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

RDM posted:

Playgrounds are way shittier today than they used to be. Safety went way too far.

Not that it matters cause kids don't play outside anymore. Kids need just go outside and play and come home when the streetlights come on.

To some degree it appears that overly protecting children on playgrounds actually harms their development: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3499858/

Toxic Mental posted:

My boomer opinion is that a large amount of homeless willingly choose that lifestyle and the blanket white knighting for the homeless does more harm than good

Maybe so, but they should still be seen to for healthcare, food and whatever else common decency dictates. I'm sure there are some boomers who believe that. :)

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 7, 2022

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Reddit has shown to me there are people who would rather be homeless than wipe their own butt.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Let people live outside if they want to imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Toxic Mental posted:

lol Did this guy really just say that he thinks hillbilly red states want teachers to have guns because the government isn’t doing enough to prevent school shootings

Edit oops didn’t see Seth’s post. Well my lol still stands but I won’t dig deeper.

I did a bad job clarifying what I mean, which is still bugging me. Obviously won't say more here as per mod post, but I'm happy to explain in PM if so desired. Which I doubt, that'd be wierd, but still, by all means.

Last thing I'll say here about it is that what people are taking away from what I said is not what was trying to say, but I think it's one of those things that's easier to explain in a spoken conversation, rather than a post in a message board. Is what it is.

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 7, 2022