Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

wtf is a Mastodon “server”

Is it like twitter but only with the other 15 people playing Quake with you?

like god intended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitcoin Magnate
Nov 6, 2022

by Azathoth
Emptyquote of a good post, which Seraph has never made

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 6, 2022

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Tiny Timbs posted:

I wish we could just go back to those days...

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Tiny Timbs posted:

Massively turning to dust via this post

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
My mastodon instance is only accepting users running Slackware with a tiling window manager

deano
Sep 6, 2000

kru posted:

Massively turning to dust via this post

bet elon cant even rj without a script

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

sorry this Mastodon server owner has declared it to be “tactical” so you’ll be kicked if you don’t move only while crouched

kru
Oct 5, 2003

deano posted:

Don't make me reinstall just to prove to myself that I can rollout properly

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

deano posted:

what the gently caress does rj mean?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

robo jackoff

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

oh my g

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1589342682442190848

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

AARD VARKMAN posted:

robo jackoff

now it all makes sense

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

My mastodon instance is only accepting users running Slackware with a tiling window manager

They are God's chosen people, but you shouldn't be exclusionary.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

goatface posted:

They are God's chosen people, but you shouldn't be exclusionary.

You reminded me, I had to go see if suckless.org and dwm still existed:https://dwm.suckless.org

quote:

Because dwm is customized through editing its source code, it's pointless to make binary packages of it. This keeps its userbase small and elitist. No novices asking stupid questions.

To keep this on Elmo topic:

quote:

dwm is only a single binary, and its source code is intended to be kept small.

Not enough lines of code for Mr. Musk. Please check your spam folder for your layoff email you slacker

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

firing everyone week 1 wasn't the right idea??

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Strong Sauce posted:

first review you see in the app store for twitter

ty elon.
But who are the "us Americans who make up the US" whoms't don't make up the US but are also Americans? What?

kazil posted:

It's how you build a solid, secure, and comfortable work environment with a team that loves and trusts you.

deano
Sep 6, 2000

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

rocket jump, easy to do if you got skills other wise you got someone else to make a script to do it for you(just like spacex)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

kazil posted:

It's just absolutely loving amazing that nobody stopped to consider who was actually needed before just arbitrarily firing 50% of the workforce. Like it doesn't feel real that anyone would be that loving stupid.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It's just absolutely loving amazing that nobody stopped to consider who was actually needed before just arbitrarily firing 50% of the workforce. Like it doesn't feel real that anyone would be that loving stupid.

Going to bring in my guys.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

deano posted:

rocket jump, easy to do if you got skills other wise you got someone else to make a script to do it for you(just like spacex)

Yes, I have played Quake 3: Arena

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
lol

https://twitter.com/CaseyNewton/status/1589335188286603264

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

elon: fire 50% of the company
managers: okay it'll take us a while but we can get you the list within the month
elon: do it by friday
managers: elon, i mean, lord elon, today is wednesday
elon: just find out how many lines of code they wrote in the last 30 days then sort them and fire the bottom half of that list.
managers: elon we told the interns last week to rename over 1000 files that will credit them with over 100000 lines of code they didn't write
elon: sorry i'm not listening anymore someone just posted a dank meme and i need to spend some time cutting off their watermark to claim credit.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

short of outrageous pay, why would anyone come back to work for that moron?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Another Bill posted:

I wish my nuts were pea sized :(

A finger curls on the monkey's paw as your entire body shrinks to the size of a termite but your balls become pea sized

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

kazil posted:

short of outrageous pay, why would anyone come back to work for that moron?

"well i just bought my 2nd rental property but if i go back to work for elon for a bit i can continue paying that off and not have to sacrifice my 3rd vacation trip this year by flying business class instead of first class"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

How many of those are DevOps guys that he only just realized are the ones with the passwords

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Tiny Timbs posted:

There doesn't seem to be one central mastodon server where everyone in the community lives. Everyone is separated into different servers each run by different people, and your account, login, etc is on that server. But almost all of the servers talk to each other so that the federated view feels sort of like twitter. Once in a while you run into a weird issue like trying to follow someone on another server where you remember "oh yeah thats right, we're all on different servers".

Each server has to agree to police the members of their own server if they want the other servers to link to them. If one server goes "lol no, we are nazis and we like our evil poo poo" then the other servers can all block the nazi server, and then those idiots are in their lonely little echo chamber just talking to each other. Or at least thats kind of how I understand this thing.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Elon Musk,

I like that you too have read Iain Banks, and, perhaps foolishly, it gives me hope even to this very moment, but this was sincerely character-revealing.

You may not use any part of my Tesla business plan that I presented earlier in this thread without my direct consent. You will not only acknowledge its source but you will be allowing me to execute it because you are not in good faith leading that company. It is a piggybank and a smuggling business for you.

Any "contract" or agreement you write with me will be mercilessly, forever, plainly, overwhelmingly in my favor and I will be positioned above you on corporate hierarchy, and not in any way answer to you. You will answer to me.

To me it is clear you are one man who decided to faceroll the entire universe on a character build of fame and fortune alone, and found yourself ten fathoms deep in a ton of loving bullshit.

People might roast you for it later if they remember, but I want a Nurburgring-destroying electric Miata, and it seems like you have no loving clue what you're doing.

Cheers,
- A giraffe

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 14, 2022

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AARD VARKMAN posted:

robo jackoff

my favorite

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Can’t wait till we learn that the reason for the hair-trigger layoffs was it was the only viable way to maintain cashflow with the new debt the company acquired.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

I would love to see the timestamps for whoever got asked back the fastest. Less than 24 hours?

Of course knowing that your coworkers worked through the weekend and this have a 4pm Sunday deadline means you’d just happily sit on that severance. Any rational risk assessment would tell you that you’d be let go within 2-3 months when the site burns down anyway.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

davecrazy posted:

Can’t wait till we learn that the reason for the hair-trigger layoffs was it was the only viable way to maintain cashflow with the new debt the company acquired.

Where the gently caress did the $44 billion go anyway? Was that seriously just share purchases for a "controlling stake?"

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Returning to work at Twitter just to get paid while lolling as it burns down.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Twitter’s pushing back the launch of its new Blue subscription with verification until after this week’s midterm elections, according to a report from The New York Times. According to an internal memo viewed by the outlet, a manager working on the project said they’ve “made the decision to move the launch of this release to Nov. 9, after the election.”

As reported previously on The Verge by Alex Heath, Musk initially wanted employees to roll out Blue with verification by November 7th and threatened to fire them if they didn’t meet this deadline. Twitter updated its app on iOS on Saturday with mentions of the new Blue subscriptions, but without actual access to it, and the changes were rolled back soon afterward. Esther Crawford, a product manager at Twitter leading the project, confirmed these features are “coming soon” but never specified when we could see an official launch.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/11/6/23443520/twitter-delaying-launch-blue-with-verification-after-midterm-elections-elon-musk

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

just make sure to save the message or letter you get sent begging you to come back because you were critical to twitter's success and include it in your cover letter wherever you apply next

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Only way to return that makes sense is as a contractor at an insane rate and an insane hours minimum and status as a primary ceditor if the company goes bankrupt.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

He has absolutely already boned Esther and she is posting through internalized guilt.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Waffle House posted:

Where the gently caress did the $44 billion go anyway? Was that seriously just share purchases for a "controlling stake?"

Yup just paying a hugely inflated price for all of that public stock floating about in the ether.

Someone recommended the latest episode of the Opening Arguments podcast earlier in the thread and I recommend it for a great breakdown of where the money came from and how hosed this whole deal was

Hardcastlemccormik fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 6, 2022

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Strong Sauce posted:

Twitter’s pushing back the launch of its new Blue subscription with verification until after this week’s midterm elections, according to a report from The New York Times. According to an internal memo viewed by the outlet, a manager working on the project said they’ve “made the decision to move the launch of this release to Nov. 9, after the election.”

As reported previously on The Verge by Alex Heath, Musk initially wanted employees to roll out Blue with verification by November 7th and threatened to fire them if they didn’t meet this deadline. Twitter updated its app on iOS on Saturday with mentions of the new Blue subscriptions, but without actual access to it, and the changes were rolled back soon afterward. Esther Crawford, a product manager at Twitter leading the project, confirmed these features are “coming soon” but never specified when we could see an official launch.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/11/6/23443520/twitter-delaying-launch-blue-with-verification-after-midterm-elections-elon-musk

record amount of right wing trolls signing up to pass on election disinfo lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

Yup just paying a hugely inflated price for all of that public stock floating about in the ether.

Someone recommended the latest episode of the Opposing Arguments podcast earlier in the thread and I recommend it for a great breakdown of where the money came from and how hosed this whole deal was

:| lol