Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I have no idea what is going to happen with the polls and election turnout, but I think that extrapolating peak pandemic voting behavior from 2020 out to now isn’t going to be helpful. 94% of people haven’t bothered to get the latest booster, nearly nobody is masking, bars and restaurants are packed. the overwhelming majority of dems are living life as though the pandemic is over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

We need to pass a law that says if your name is Nate you are not allowed to become a pollster.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Then again, the polls in August for Kansas and Alaska were also off (heavily biased towards Republicans.) So maybe there is “quiet progressive” demographic on the rise?
How many young people (under 35) do you know who ever pick up a call from a number they don't know? Like, ever? I know of absolutely none. I hate doing it but I do sometimes have to because I'm expecting a call from the doctor's office or a contractor or something whose number I might not recognize and I will still hang up immediately if there's that telltale pause of a robocaller transferring to a live person because that signals to me that I'm about to be sold something or scammed. Even if it says 'political call' I won't pick up because chances are its just some campaign or the DCCC asking for money and I've given enough thank you.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Oracle posted:

How many young people (under 35) do you know who ever pick up a call from a number they don't know? Like, ever? I know of absolutely none. I hate doing it but I do sometimes have to because I'm expecting a call from the doctor's office or a contractor or something whose number I might not recognize and I will still hang up immediately if there's that telltale pause of a robocaller transferring to a live person because that signals to me that I'm about to be sold something or scammed. Even if it says 'political call' I won't pick up because chances are its just some campaign or the DCCC asking for money and I've given enough thank you.
When a pollster called me, my iPhone labeled it as a “Political Call” too, and I answered it.

But yeah, I did phonebanking for WisDems this year and I rarely ever got anybody young.

… then again, they also might not be voting either so lol lmao. livin’ on a prayer.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I think that there's a lot of pattern invention going on with non-response rates of polls. Were Republicans actually shy about telling people they'd vote for Trump while also yelling Trump before hanging up? Will this finally be the year of the unpollable youth showing up to vote?

Perhaps, pollsters are just bad at properly readjusting their turnout models in hyper polarized times when "voted the last 2 times" isn't good enough anymore. This is then exacerbated as fewer and fewer people answer the pollsters' calls, which degrades the value of the sample they do have.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Oracle posted:

We need to pass a law that says if your name is Nate you are not allowed to become a pollster.

The problem, people don't answer polls honestly or don't even pick up the phone.
The plan? Become best friends with hundreds of thousands of voters to find out how they are going to truly vote and if they are
This is Nathan for You.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
We did a paid ID this year and the refusal rate was 10% which is pretty high.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Gyges posted:

I think that there's a lot of pattern invention going on with non-response rates of polls. Were Republicans actually shy about telling people they'd vote for Trump while also yelling Trump before hanging up? Will this finally be the year of the unpollable youth showing up to vote?

Perhaps, pollsters are just bad at properly readjusting their turnout models in hyper polarized times when "voted the last 2 times" isn't good enough anymore. This is then exacerbated as fewer and fewer people answer the pollsters' calls, which degrades the value of the sample they do have.
If we’re ignoring polls all together and going off of vibes then my confidence is in a Republican sweep. A 2014 style shellacking. Voter’s top two interests are the economy and crime and the Democrats have absolutely 💯 lost the messaging on that. Abortion is bad and impacts many, but is “politicized” while inflation has impacted everyone and will motivate even former “nonpolitical nonvoters” to go out and cast a ballot. Record number Republican votes.

Voting models improves my confidence in the Dems, not the opposite.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 6, 2022

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Then again, the polls in August for Kansas and Alaska were also off (heavily biased towards Republicans.) So maybe there is “quiet progressive” demographic on the rise?

Edit: https://twitter.com/nate_cohn/status/1589255493020979203?s=46&t=4V5MxeLphgGHP2wcIMQRZg

Good news? I think this means that pollsters are confident there won’t be a polling error in Republican’s favor this year.

Pollsters aren't really confident about anything these days.

That article (and the thinking behind it) looks, to me, like a classic example of pollster bad behavior. It says that we should be more confident in the polls for two reasons, but both reasons are dubious at best.

First of all, it says that we should be more confident in the polls because the polls are showing more like what we'd expect them to show. But that's also a telltale sign of herding: a tendency among pollsters to start pushing their results toward the average or toward pundits' predictions in the last few days before the election, because they know the last poll before the election is what everyone's going to judge their accuracy on and they're terrified of being an outlier.

The other reason it gives for having confidence in the polls that there's a bunch of lovely GOP outlets issuing bullshit polls with crappy methodologies, dragging the poll averages well to the right of where the reliable polls are. He says this is a good thing regardless of the quality of these polls, because it completely eliminates any chance of the polls overestimating Dem performance, and apparently that's all he's really concerned about. Which is complete nonsense! Even if you think there's a problem with the real polls, blatantly partisan randos putting out complete garbage isn't actually going to improve things.

At best, he's fallen into the trap of being so focused on avoiding embarrassing misses that he isn't actually concerned about getting things right anymore. At worst, he's developed pundit brain and decided his gut knows better than the polls do, and it usually gets very ugly when the stats nerd starts thinking they're a political analyst.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

https://twitter.com/tctect/status/1589258443730190336?s=46&t=XNerC8Wj74qWLysiecIxWQ

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Automata 10 Pack posted:

If we’re ignoring polls all together and going off of vibes then my confidence is in a Republican sweep. A 2014 style shellacking. Voter’s top two interests are the economy and crime and the Democrats have absolutely 💯 lost the messaging on that. Abortion is bad and impacts many, but is “politicized” while inflation has impacted everyone and will motivate even former “nonpolitical nonvoters” to go out and cast a ballot. Record number Republican votes.

Voting models improves my confidence in the Dems, not the opposite.

I'd say if you're going to disregard polls altogether, the only actual things you have to go on are current turnout and your interpretation of trends. The biggest problem for Democrats is that because they've refused to actually do anything about voting issues, they've got to have a good night in order to just not lose. Meanwhile Republicans can win, or almost win, while losing by a couple points.

Current turnout seems to make 2010 or 2014 repeats unlikely. However, it also looks like there's more of a divergence of voting rates than usual. Florida is currently voting at sub 2018 levels, for instance. So its entirely possible we're looking at Democrats picking up a few Senate seats while getting kicked in the balls in the House.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

Pollsters aren't really confident about anything these days.

That article (and the thinking behind it) looks, to me, like a classic example of pollster bad behavior. It says that we should be more confident in the polls for two reasons, but both reasons are dubious at best.

First of all, it says that we should be more confident in the polls because the polls are showing more like what we'd expect them to show. But that's also a telltale sign of herding: a tendency among pollsters to start pushing their results toward the average or toward pundits' predictions in the last few days before the election, because they know the last poll before the election is what everyone's going to judge their accuracy on and they're terrified of being an outlier.

The other reason it gives for having confidence in the polls that there's a bunch of lovely GOP outlets issuing bullshit polls with crappy methodologies, dragging the poll averages well to the right of where the reliable polls are. He says this is a good thing regardless of the quality of these polls, because it completely eliminates any chance of the polls overestimating Dem performance, and apparently that's all he's really concerned about. Which is complete nonsense! Even if you think there's a problem with the real polls, blatantly partisan randos putting out complete garbage isn't actually going to improve things.

At best, he's fallen into the trap of being so focused on avoiding embarrassing misses that he isn't actually concerned about getting things right anymore. At worst, he's developed pundit brain and decided his gut knows better than the polls do, and it usually gets very ugly when the stats nerd starts thinking they're a political analyst.
Okay, this isn’t really an against your argument or an attempt to deflate it (because it’s good) but just a request: are there articles or, hell, twitter threads about these new invalid GOP polls that are more than just dismissals based on intuition? I see this narrative a lot without anything backing up the argument. Which could just be Democrats not needing to make the argument anymore because they know the evidence already.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Turnout is up from 2018, so I have a difficult time seeing how that doesn't favor Democrats.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Okay, this isn’t really an against your argument or an attempt to deflate it (because it’s good) but just a request: are there articles or, hell, twitter threads about these new invalid GOP polls that are more than just dismissals based on intuition? I see this narrative a lot without anything backing up the argument. Which could just be Democrats not needing to make the argument anymore because they know the evidence already.

The very article you posted talked about it at some length:

quote:

Second: Some of the movement in polling averages is because of changes in the composition of the pollsters.

While there has definitely been some movement toward Republicans since the summer, in many cases Republican gains have been supercharged by an entirely different factor: a flood of low-cost, usually Republican-backed surveys in key battleground states. These polls tend not to adhere to industry standards for transparency or data collection. (I went into this in more depth in Saturday’s newsletter.) And not surprisingly, they have tended to be much more favorable for Republican candidates than the media or university-sponsored surveys that have typically dominated the polling averages in years past — including as recently as this summer.

As a result, there were a lot of states where the polling averages moved to the right, simply because more right-leaning pollsters joined the fray.

It’s helpful to go back to our Pennsylvania example. Mr. Fetterman and Dr. Oz are tied in our average, but most of the traditional surveys from university or media outlets, once considered the gold standard, show Mr. Fetterman with a lead — even if those pollsters do show him in a tighter race than they did over the summer. Indeed, there isn’t a single traditional type of survey with Dr. Oz ahead. Instead, the average is tied because a list of firms with a Republican-lean show Dr. Oz ahead.

There’s no need to weigh in on whether the Republican-leaning or traditional firms are “right,” at least not in this article. While the cheaper firms often have deeply and obviously unrepresentative samples — like showing Republicans with 30 percent support among the Black vote, as opposed to the typical 10 percent or less — the nonpartisan polls might still struggle with the same kinds of nonresponse bias that plagued the industry in 2020.

You can see here why I was dismissive of the argument right off the bat. To me, the last paragraph of that reads "sure, these polls are badly flawed in extremely obvious ways, but maybe regular polls might have issues too, so there's no point in bothering evaluating quality at all". Which is pretty nonsensical, imo.

For more detail, let's look at that Saturday newsletter he mentioned:

quote:

But in one important respect, this average is very different from polling averages you’ve seen in prior years: The pollsters making up the average are very different.

Many stalwarts of political polling over the last decade — Monmouth University, Quinnipiac University, ABC/Washington Post, CNN/SSRS, Fox News, New York Times/Siena College, Marist College — have conducted far fewer surveys, especially in the battleground states, than they have in recent years. In some cases, these pollsters have conducted no recent polls at all.

And on the flip side, there has been a wave of polls by firms like the Trafalgar Group, Rasmussen Reports, Insider Advantage and others that have tended to produce much more Republican-friendly results than the traditional pollsters. None adhere to industry standards for transparency or data collection. In some states, nearly all of the recent polls were conducted by Republican-leaning firms.

This creates a big challenge for a simple polling average like this one. From state to state, Democrats or Republicans might seem to be doing much better or much worse, simply depending on which kind of pollster has conducted a survey most recently. The race may seem to swing back and forth, from week to week.

Pennsylvania is a fine example. Last week, four Republican-leaning firms — Patriot Polling, co/efficient, Wick and Insider Advantage — showed Dr. Mehmet Oz with a lead. This week, four conventional pollsters have shown John Fetterman tied or ahead — Suffolk University/USA Today, New York Times/Siena College, Fox News and Muhlenberg College.

Put it all together, and our average in Pennsylvania is just about tied. Maybe that’s what the final result will be. Or maybe the result will more squarely conform with one group’s estimates.

For now, this much is clear: Which pollsters have surveyed a state most recently is a big factor in determining whether the numbers look better for Republicans or Democrats. And this year, the polls that are driving the average are quite different.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

For what its worth, Bill Kristol is going pretty far out on a limb for the Dems.

https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/1589262327207309312?t=cciImH-LhZokmJ39ibEQbw&s=19

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Rigel posted:

For what its worth, Bill Kristol is going pretty far out on a limb for the Dems.

https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/1589262327207309312?t=cciImH-LhZokmJ39ibEQbw&s=19

Uh oh, Kristol is one of the people near the top of my "see what they say/think and then assume the opposite is true" list

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I'd be curious to see what effect all the bible thumping the GOP has been doing recently, especially in regards to abortion, will have on right leaning libertarian types that aren't religious. This is purely anecdotal but the ones I know from when I grew up in Florida find all the bible thumping extremely off putting and I'd be surprised if they vote at all. They might not like Democrats but they also don't like having religion forced on them either.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rigel posted:

Isn't he always wrong about everything.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Mustang posted:

I'd be curious to see what effect all the bible thumping the GOP has been doing recently, especially in regards to abortion, will have on right leaning libertarian types that aren't religious. This is purely anecdotal but the ones I know from when I grew up in Florida find all the bible thumping extremely off putting and I'd be surprised if they vote at all. They might not like Democrats but they also don't like having religion forced on them either.
Theoretically, they should have no complaints since it is "uP tO the StAtEs" now.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Turnout is up from 2018, so I have a difficult time seeing how that doesn't favor Democrats.

The Dems had their entire base show up in 2018. If turnout is even HIGHER now, that implies the GOP base is also showing up. We may be in for another high turnout election for both parties, but indies are breaking GOP compared to 2018.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mustang posted:

They like to punish women for having the power to reject them, though.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Angry_Ed posted:

Well hey, Larry Summers said for 20 years "massive inflation is just around the corner!" and was wrong over and over and over and over again until he was right. Maybe it's time for Bill Kristol to be right about something!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Angry_Ed posted:

His list of political predictions for the next couple of years is pretty shoddy.

https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/1589244983122329601

I'm not sure which one is more unbelievable: Congressional Dems being more productiven without holding the House or picking up a couple more seats, or Buttigieg having a real shot at the presidency anytime this decade.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

His list of political predictions for the next couple of years is pretty shoddy.

I'm not sure which one is more unbelievable: Congressional Dems being more productiven without holding the House or picking up a couple more seats, or Buttigieg having a real shot at the presidency anytime this decade.

He has to know he's full of poo poo, right? #2 alone is so laughable (let alone #5) that I don't know how anyone without a diet of primarily lead paint could write it with a straight face.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Turnout is way up in some parts of the country, down in others. We'll have to wait until election day to see if this holds, or if the trend of expanded early voting is cannibalizing the election day totals. Like, Florida is a shitload of votes on its own, and Florida is voting at sub 2018 levels.

Angry_Ed posted:

Perhaps the funniest thing about Bill Kristol is that he was always wrong about everything. Then when Trump came around he accidentally was right for a change, and was immediately excommunicated from the Republican Party for it. Still, the man is pathologically wrong about everything outside of Trump is bad, so it's always worrying when he says the sky is blue.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

The very article you posted talked about it at some length:

You can see here why I was dismissive of the argument right off the bat. To me, the last paragraph of that reads "sure, these polls are badly flawed in extremely obvious ways, but maybe regular polls might have issues too, so there's no point in bothering evaluating quality at all". Which is pretty nonsensical, imo.

For more detail, let's look at that Saturday newsletter he mentioned:
While the article mentions the “flood of fake rando Republican pollsters” narrative I mentioned. In the newsletter they allude to, the pollsters they named (Trafalgar Group, Rasmussen Reports, Insider Advantage) are not only established but some the most accurate pollsters for 2020.

So who are these “others”? What can we say about these “others”?

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 6, 2022

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Rigel posted:

drat republicans likely to take the presidency THIS year given Bill’s track record lol

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Rigel posted:

Political Jim Cramer? :(

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Main Paineframe posted:

Well that would be pretty far from "the best midterm performance by a party in the White House in two decades", so he probably doesn't actually believe it and was trolling with that earlier post.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Automata 10 Pack posted:

While the article mentions the “flood of fake rando Republican pollsters” narrative I mentioned. In the newsletter they allude to, the pollsters they named (Trafalgar Group, Rasmussen Reports, Insider Advantage) are not only established but some the most accurate pollsters for 2020.

So who are these “others”? What can we say about these “others”?

That depends on how you define "accurate". All three of those pollsters were among the worst at actually predicting who would win a state, with Trafalgar performing no better than a coin flip and InsiderAdvantage faring even worse than that.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1375095262516027392

So why did Nate crown them accurate? They tended to predict narrow GOP wins, only for the Dems to narrowly win.

Part of that is herding - it's not uncommon for them to show a big GOP lead in the weeks leading up to the election, then suddenly cut it to a narrow lead at the last minute. Only the last poll counts for accuracy evaluations by the likes of 538, and so it's fine to predict big R wins for most of the cycle and then bring it down to a low-confidence result on the final day.

And that leads into the main issue: confidence. If the race's final result is D+2, who's more accurate? The poll that predicted R+1, or the poll that predicted D+5? According to Nate Silver, they're equally accurate - they were both three points away from the final result. But one of them confidently predicted the result of the race, while the other gave a result that put both sides within the margin of error of victory.

Who's really more accurate? The pollster who called 93% of the states correctly but significantly overestimated the margins of victory, or the pollster that called 47% of the states correctly but guessed margins of victory so low that they were basically just rating the races toss-ups?

Though it's also important to note that even then, their reputation for accuracy is largely confined just to presidential elections. Trafalgar had some high-profile misses in 2018 and in special elections, and Rasmussen was branded the least accurate pollster of 2018 after completely missing any hint of the blue wave.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Rigel posted:

Well that would be pretty far from "the best midterm performance by a party in the White House in two decades", so he probably doesn't actually believe it and was trolling with that earlier post.

I mean it sounds like he's not including 2002, so we're talking 2018 which just means Retain Senate + <36 seat deficit in the House... sure that'd be the kind of better-than-feared result to call on twitter.

Gerund fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 6, 2022

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

That depends on how you define "accurate". All three of those pollsters were among the worst at actually predicting who would win a state, with Trafalgar performing no better than a coin flip and InsiderAdvantage faring even worse than that.

So why did Nate crown them accurate? They tended to predict narrow GOP wins, only for the Dems to narrowly win.

Part of that is herding - it's not uncommon for them to show a big GOP lead in the weeks leading up to the election, then suddenly cut it to a narrow lead at the last minute. Only the last poll counts for accuracy evaluations by the likes of 538, and so it's fine to predict big R wins for most of the cycle and then bring it down to a low-confidence result on the final day.

And that leads into the main issue: confidence. If the race's final result is D+2, who's more accurate? The poll that predicted R+1, or the poll that predicted D+5? According to Nate Silver, they're equally accurate - they were both three points away from the final result. But one of them confidently predicted the result of the race, while the other gave a result that put both sides within the margin of error of victory.

Who's really more accurate? The pollster who called 93% of the states correctly but significantly overestimated the margins of victory, or the pollster that called 47% of the states correctly but guessed margins of victory so low that they were basically just rating the races toss-ups?

Though it's also important to note that even then, their reputation for accuracy is largely confined just to presidential elections. Trafalgar had some high-profile misses in 2018 and in special elections, and Rasmussen was branded the least accurate pollster of 2018 after completely missing any hint of the blue wave.
Okay yeah, I see your point. You can sorta game the system if you keep predicting narrow wins.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

I don't think he's saying that Ds will be more productive, just that it will be good "politically" because the next elections followed Democrats taking back the House and/or Senate. Obama was pretty productive until 2011, as was Biden possibly until the end of the year.

I wouldn't underestimate how palatable Buttigieg would be in the general election. He's young and sharp and pretty likeable. I never thought that Biden would beat Bernie but here we are.

Edit: Also, I would bet that the inflation situation and Covid would be near nonexistent come end of 2024 and the market would have already broken through old ATHs. Mortgage rates will be down. The war in Ukraine will prove to be insurmountable for Russia, resulting in a withdrawal. Climate change will be causing havoc in the US, something that Democrats are trusted on. In that kind of situation, a "steady" continuation of what people will see as successful Democratic policy could be enough for a seemingly nonradical like Buttigieg to win.

small butter fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 6, 2022

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

small butter posted:

I wouldn't underestimate how palatable Buttigieg would be in the general election. He's young and sharp and pretty likeable. I never thought that Biden would beat Bernie but here we are.

Buttigieg was doing slightly better than the tag team of Harris and Klobuchar. People don't actually like them, however corporations and other big money donors love them which is why they're still being floated. There's a reason that most of the arguments for a Buttigieg/Harris ticket involve Biden pulling out after the convention and the DNC creating it's own ticket without voter input.

Also, lets not pretend that Biden totally beat Bernie through hard work and superior campaigning.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

small butter posted:

I don't think he's saying that Ds will be more productive, just that it will be good "politically" because the next elections followed Democrats taking back the House and/or Senate. Obama was pretty productive until 2011, as was Biden possibly until the end of the year.

Edit: Also, I would bet that the inflation situation and Covid would be near nonexistent come end of 2024 and the market would have already broken through old ATHs. Mortgage rates will be down. The war in Ukraine will prove to be insurmountable for Russia, resulting in a withdrawal. Climate change will be causing havoc in the US, something that Democrats are trusted on. In that kind of situation, a "steady" continuation of what people will see as successful Democratic policy could be enough for a seemingly nonradical like Buttigieg to win.
Feel good post, thanks. 👍

Imo from a dumb vibes pov I want J. B. Pritzker to run and win 2024. If we’re reentering serfdom, at least give me the least bad billionaire.

Gerund posted:

I mean it sounds like he's not including 2002, so we're talking 2018 which just means Retain Senate + <36 seat deficit in the House... sure that'd be the kind of better-than-feared result to call on twitter.
Yeah if we lose less than 40 seats I think that’s technically a victory. Still makes for a hellish 2022-24.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 6, 2022

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

small butter posted:

It’s also. a gop house will be an endless circus of awful circus dumb shitshows of the chuds infighting and racing to the bottom and probably 20 impeachment attempts for Biden and probably purity votes and excommunication that push away the moderates and suburbs again and etc.

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Feel good post, thanks. 👍

Imo from a dumb vibes pov I want J. B. Pritzker to run and win 2024. If we’re reentering serfdom, at least give me the least bad billionaire.

Yeah if we lose less than 40 seats I think that’s technically a victory. Still makes for a hellish 2022-24.
Yeah, we are losing the house no matter what, the question is can the bleeding be staunched. I think it can. I think we still got the senate plus gain PA and maybe OH.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

This is all correct but one extra element - I genuinely suspect some of these GOP pollsters are just making up numbers/cross tabs to get results that seem accurate, and also herding at the very end of the election to bolster their ratings.

Trafalgar et al. had some absolutely wild polls all election only to show the "race narrowing" at the last second to have a plausible but still slightly GOP leaning result. Go look at their penultimate polls compared to their final ones - their averages all got crazy closer to the average polls right around a week before election day.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

FWIW this was a silly probe. The tweet didn't actually need context.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah, we are losing the house no matter what, the question is can the bleeding be staunched. I think it can.

Why do you think dems are sure to lose the house? The polls have drifted back towards the Democrats in the past week. Their EV turnout has apparently been stronger than 2018. There's a new contingent of pissed off, mostly young Democrats that want to break the GOP over their knees, which pollsters might not be picking up on. I think the Dems narrowly keep the house and add a seat in the senate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Typical Pubbie posted:

Why do you think dems are sure to lose the house? The polls have drifted back towards the Democrats in the past week. Their EV turnout has apparently been stronger than 2018. There's a new contingent of pissed off, mostly young Democrats that want to break the GOP over their knees, which pollsters might not be picking up on. I think the Dems narrowly keep the house and add a seat in the senate.
Gerrymandering and safe house races means that Dems are going to need to really overperform to keep the house.