Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Sakurazuka posted:

Maybe SE shouldn't have released 12 middling RPGs in 6 weeks

They shouldn't release them at full price, most of these should've started at like 30-40 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
lmao imagine being a parent

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tae posted:

They shouldn't release them at full price, most of these should've started at like 30-40 bucks.

Yeah definitely lol

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

loquacius posted:

how on earth do people finish games this quickly, I am seriously jealous

Being a parent is rough

heck I'm not a parent and I am also jealous of folks who finish games that fast

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Personally I'm much more into having 25 half-finished games over a single finished one, if you do the math that's like a dozen finished games put together.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Just be a contractor and take 3 days off to devote yourself to playing the game 18 hours a day.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

I’ll take a return of the weird AA space over sparse AAA bloat any day.

I feel like we’re legit in a golden age for smaller budget stuff. Reminds me of all the weird janky poo poo on PS2 and I’m totally here for it.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

luckily they have another rpg coming that will be good this week and it's not $60!!!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Still too expensive for a tarted up SNES game

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

BurningBeard posted:

I feel like we’re legit in a golden age for smaller budget stuff. Reminds me of all the weird janky poo poo on PS2 and I’m totally here for it.

Square-Enix is still charging AAA prices, is the thing.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

*monkey paw curls* Alright, here's our lineup of NFT RPGs coming soon

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Dackel posted:

*monkey paw curls* Alright, here's our lineup of NFT RPGs coming soon

"We heard you so we are releasing Chrono Break, the sequel to Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross in an exciting new web-NFT platform. Please look forward to it."

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

BurningBeard posted:

Yeah I’m happy they’ll apparently give money enough to anything to get it out the door. They kind of fail at everything else, though. Especially regional pricing on Steam.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

BurningBeard posted:

Ironically, this might end up being self-defeating, because I can't be the only one holding off until these AA titles drop to AA prices before picking them up. If that leads to deflated sales (like we're seeing with SO6 at least) then it might lead to less AA games

I don't blame niche devs for not understanding - or not wanting to risk - that a lower price point is more successful in the long run, but Square should know better

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The way steam promotion works, steam tries to maximize their cut, so there is a very real effect where putting your price too low will get you fewer sales, since Steam would rather promote and sell a $30 game than a $10 game

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

MechaX posted:

"We heard you so we are releasing Chrono Break, the sequel to Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross in an exciting new web-NFT platform. Please look forward to it."

Each nft is its own accent generated to give the player the true experience of a personalized world with accents unique to their wallet

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

WarpDogs posted:

Ironically, this might end up being self-defeating, because I can't be the only one holding off until these AA titles drop to AA prices before picking them up. If that leads to deflated sales (like we're seeing with SO6 at least) then it might lead to less AA games

I don't blame niche devs for not understanding - or not wanting to risk - that a lower price point is more successful in the long run, but Square should know better

I mean that's my attitude towards most games. AAA titles are generally so focused on the launch window that they drop to $20 or less within a year. It's only niche or evergreen sellers like most big nintendo games that stick to a $40-60 range for any big stretch of time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WarpDogs posted:

The problem is 'AA' pricing isn't really a clear thing. A 40 hour JRPG with full voice acting and 3D graphics and such is still a full game to make. It might have a lower budget than a AAA short game but it still requires trained people doing a whole lot.

Like I didn't like SO6 much but it falls very comfortably in the same realm aa Atelier games and only slightly behind Tales of Arise which are also full price games.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I will do my part and buy SO6 but only after I finish XB3. So I dunno, like next year probably

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I will do my part and buy SO6 but only after I finish XB3. So I dunno, like next year probably

that's cringe, you buy games as they come out and never play them, just like me and XB3 cause I gotta finish 2 first

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My 2-year-old actually is at a point where I can start showing her games, but she doesn't have anywhere near the attention span for RPGs yet, it's all colorful platformers so far

I'm hoping in a couple years I can introduce her to Paper Mario or something

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

ImpAtom posted:

The problem is 'AA' pricing isn't really a clear thing. A 40 hour JRPG with full voice acting and 3D graphics and such is still a full game to make. It might have a lower budget than a AAA short game but it still requires trained people doing a whole lot.

Like I didn't like SO6 much but it falls very comfortably in the same realm aa Atelier games and only slightly behind Tales of Arise which are also full price games.

Definitely a fair point, and I don't mean to overly simplify the situation

But I also think Atelier would benefit tremendously from a $40 base price lol. If your niche or AA game sells 100,000 copies at $60, then it doesn't seem implausible that you could reach >150,000 people if you priced it instead at $40. Niche games benefit significantly more from word-of-mouth and "impulse buy" sales than AAA titles, so anything to lower that barrier and get more people talking about your game is a big win

It's something a lot of "grog" games have (or haven't) learned over the years, especially as they've moved off their own storefronts and onto Steam or Itch. Hard to say how provable the model is for games with higher budgets and more to risk, but idk, I still want them to try!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WarpDogs posted:

Definitely a fair point, and I don't mean to overly simplify the situation

But I also think Atelier would benefit tremendously from a $40 base price lol. If your niche or AA game sells 100,000 copies at $60, then it doesn't seem implausible that you could reach >150,000 people if you priced it instead at $40. Niche games benefit significantly more from word-of-mouth and "impulse buy" sales than AAA titles, so anything to lower that barrier and get more people talking about your game is a big win

It's something a lot of "grog" games have (or haven't) learned over the years, especially as they've moved off their own storefronts and onto Steam or Itch. Hard to say how provable the model is for games with higher budgets and more to risk, but idk, I still want them to try!

The problem is that 150,000 sales is implausible. 150,000 is genuinely more than some of the less popular Atelier games have actually sold. JRPGs not named Final Fantasy, Pokemon, Persona or Dragon Quest are the absolute most niche of the niche. Some are more popular than others but for many 600,000 would be considered an absolute smash hit. Games like Trails/Atelier/etc would kill to sell an extra 150,000 and it isn't likely the cost is the barrier there. Probably the closest thing to an outlier is the Tales of... series which tends to move 2 or so million copies, likely because Namco-Bandai has an advertising budget.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 7, 2022

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gust we're celebrating because Ryza was the biggest selling Atelier game at like 150,000 units or something lol

SE games seem over the odds even for low budget rpgs, most Atelier games launch at a price where I can get a physical copy for £40 or less still. The new SE games launched at like £55 so the lowest retailers will go is like £45 and places like Amazon will straight up ask for full RRP for them.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://barrelwisdom.com/blog/gust-sales

lol nights of azure

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Gust we're celebrating because Ryza was the biggest selling Atelier game at like 150,000 units or something lol

Sophie and Ryza both did over 350k or something

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Motto posted:

I mean that's my attitude towards most games. AAA titles are generally so focused on the launch window that they drop to $20 or less within a year. It's only niche or evergreen sellers like most big nintendo games that stick to a $40-60 range for any big stretch of time.

This is my attitude too. The whole gaming industry is toxic with fomo and hype driven in the extreme. I don’t really think Square’s gonna eat it for pricing things optimistically and finding out later that it didn’t pan. And even if that is the case, then we’ll have a period of time where SE dug deep into the bench and yanked out some hail marries that did well.

Also, for every failed attempt to revitalize a nascent franchise, there’s a possibility for a revival. It’s not as if anyone can predict what’ll blow up and what won’t.

I doubt Firaxis, for instance, expected the XCOM reboot to compel so many also-rans, a bunch of which are actually pretty good.

And, fwiw, aren’t a bunch of the SE remasters a cut under $60? I think Live A Live was $50, and if I recall that’s the pricepoint for the Tactics Ogre remaster as well. Sure it’s not $40, as it may have been back then, but considering the pressure to push AAA titles up to $70, it also makes a certain kind of sense.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wow those Lulua sales

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Wow those Lulua sales

hey it did better than firis lmao

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's good to see Blue Reflection Second Light did pretty well for itself, it was a really good game and I hope they make more sequels (that aren't JPN-only gacha games lmao).

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

hey it did better than firis lmao

That's real wild because Lydie & Suelle managed to do way better, pretty rare to see that kind of sag going on! My guess is existing on the Switch helped the last of that trilogy recover after Firis did poorly?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Srice posted:

That's real wild because Lydie & Suelle managed to do way better, pretty rare to see that kind of sag going on! My guess is existing on the Switch helped the last of that trilogy recover after Firis did poorly?

Yeah probably. Sophie 2 did reasonably well also.

exquisite tea posted:

It's good to see Blue Reflection Second Light did pretty well for itself, it was a really good game and I hope they make more sequels (that aren't JPN-only gacha games lmao).

:yeah:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ryza also just gave the series a huge boost in the arm. If that is because it updated the visuals and seemed to have more of a budget or because people got really creepy about Ryza's thighs is up to debate.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
At the top of that post, the author themself gives like fifty different caveats about why those numbers are unreliable and inconsistent and you shouldn't try to compare them to each other.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

available on PC at launch probably didn't hurt any

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

hey the jp only gacha game is why kirara was in second light, and kirara rules

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Starting SaGa Frontier, and Emelia seems super badass and I'd watch her 2000s scifi movie, but there was a robot option, so,

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
they're all separate stories you play one by one rather than just separate characters to play through the game as, so

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Robot with amnesia
Anime protagonist (hair)
Anime antagonist (also hair)
Dark, gritty 2000s movie
A guy (plays guitar)
David Bowie from Labyrinth, but a girl
Some sort of bird monkey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Probably gonna go down the line in T260G -> Emelia -> Blue -> Asellus -> Red -> Riki -> Lute order until I get distracted by something else, based on my initial level of interest per character