Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

What's it like being LGBTQ+ in China? I'm sure I could Google it but I'd rather have a good opinion as i can't be sure what isn't influenced by one party or another

Not great and getting worse. The Party was explicitly homophobic for a long time, but then like a lot of other things they relaxed and left people alone for the most part as long as they didn't start any trouble. The anti-gay laws were rescinded in the late 90s. But over the past couple of years, anti-LGBT policies are coming back with a vengeance. You can't depict it in media anymore, a bunch of universities and local governments were found to be making lists of LGBT students to monitor, there were rewards being offered to report on people, there's more anti-homosexual rhetoric in the news. Actually just saw today that there are a lot of reports that HRT drugs are being cracked down on and doctors are not going to be allowed to diagnose people with gender dysphoria anymore.

This all kicked off around the same time as the one child policy was turned into the two and then three child policy, so it seems to be part of a concerted effort to get more kids and try to avoid the demographic collapse. Abortions and birth control are being restricted as well.

My experience was people under like 30 do not give a poo poo and are overall tolerant, but I also lived in Chengdu which is quite relaxed about it, it has a reputation of being like the San Francisco of China so I'm not sure I got an accurate picture.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

hypnophant posted:

japan is huge. like top ten population, #3 gdp. there are only a handful of nations which are larger

yeah it is, it is indeed huge. but its basically the largest nation you can do whole centralized true control like that. same deal w france

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Here's an article I posted earlier in the thread:

[

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I enjoyed this brief article about online and offline spaces for LGBT (tongzhi) mainlanders through the perspective of several young queer people: https://restofworld.org/2021/chinas-queer-internet-is-being-erased/

The beginning of the article includes interesting insights into the early history of online gay communities which predated decriminalization of gay sex in 19971. It goes into the rise of queer student societies in the 2010s, enjoying support from university administrations, national conferences, and relatively little censorship on such topics as democracy and human rights. The subject of the article identifies ~2016 as when rising nationalist sentiments online, buoyed by nationalist influencers who amassed followings through behavior like attacking feminist and queer influencers, made it an increasingly hostile environment. Censorship increased, and one subject recounts an incident in 2017 in which a student pretended to be gay to join the society and delivered a list of names to the administration. Finally it talks about the increasing monopolization of queer dating apps under one censor-compliant company, which rolled out "rainbow credits" which are deducted for things like posting politically sensitive content or organizing group meetups.

I also learned the term for a basic gay who just wants to "be gay, be fabulous" and isn't necessarily concerned with politics, and a bit about the internet language used in LGBT subculture involving homophones and mispronunciations in mandarin.

1 It's interesting to note that this decriminalization is regarded as an unintended consequence of codifying the "Hooliganism Law", which had been used to punish homosexual behavior, into six separate discrete offenses, none of which mention homosexuality.

An interesting takeaway is that there isn't just more government crackdown, there're more online influencers amassing a following from anti-LGBTQ hate.

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 6, 2022

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
They're going to encounter the problem that young people just don't give a poo poo either way.

Difficult to persecute LGBT people when the worst reaction to them you see from the rest of the population is amusement, and the most common one is a shrug.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

PITY BONER posted:

Correct me if I am wrong, but, depending on the city, aren't the lockdown enforcement and decisions left to the local governments?

Decisions are left to the local governments as long as things are going well, or at least OK.
If things hit crisis level, the big Beijing team arrives to replace as much of the local government as they want to, and/or dictate targets and methods.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Shumagorath posted:

Right but it’s geographically small and culturally / ethnically homogeneous.

I do think people tend to perceive Japan as smaller than it actually is. If you add up all the land, it is the size of Montana with 120x the population.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

GoutPatrol posted:

I do think people tend to perceive Japan as smaller than it actually is. If you add up all the land, it is the size of Montana with 120x the population.
Fair; being from Canada my idea of size is kinda skewed.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Shumagorath posted:

Fair; being from Canada my idea of size is kinda skewed.

Even in Japan there's a stereotype of it being very small, even though it is not by any measure.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Not totally relevant to the discussion, but Tokyo was literally the most populous city in the 1700s. I remember reading it and thinking how wild it was that a city in this closed-off island state outsized London, Paris and New York.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Grand Fromage posted:

Even in Japan there's a stereotype of it being very small, even though it is not by any measure.

it's about the size of california and similarly mostly population centers along the coast alongside a whole lotta nothing aside from crazy woods people. maybe the latter's more of a california thing, we get that in exchange for not thinking we're small

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Is there any map available that breaks down the low density areas more (i.e. under 50 per square kilometer). I'm curious if there's anywhere even on Hokkaido that gets as empty as some parts of the US does even in eastern states.

(note the stray 0-5 density counties in New York and Maine)

edit: here's a US map that breaks out the low density in more detail to see where the real empty places are

LostCosmonaut fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 7, 2022

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I assume it must be mountainous terrain or something, but it's kind of wild to me that there are a few districts(?) on the W/SW edge of the Tokyo sprawl where a 2000+ pop density abuts a <50 pop density zone.

e:

LostCosmonaut posted:

edit: here's a US map that breaks out the low density in more detail to see where the real empty places are

Even that map doesn't really do it justice, for instance San Bernardino County (the big trapezoidal shaped county in southeastern CA) looks somewhat populated, but that's mostly because it has the outer edges of greater LA in its southwestern corner and the rest of it is a vast fuckoff area of completely empty desert.

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 7, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bob dobbs is dead posted:

no such thing as a nation larger than about japan that doesnt work that way

alabamas a hellhole, manhattan is not. yakutsk is a hellhole, st. petersberg is not. etc.

Oh gently caress off with this poo poo.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

eSports Chaebol posted:

The issue never was that Sinovac isn’t effective enough, but instead that people, especially older people, don’t want to take it. I have no idea what the solution to that is. Mix it in with some TCM and re-market it?

Make it mandatory. I don't know why the CCP won't. It's not the best, but it's better than nothing, alongside the lockdown.

PITY BONER posted:

Correct me if I am wrong, but, depending on the city, aren't the lockdown enforcement and decisions left to the local governments? There seems to be no rhyme or reason to some of the decisions for locking down, and even the "soft" lockdowns (single apartment buildings or city blocks) are haphazardly done by throwing out random red codes based on GPS data or phone pings on anyone who came through the area. I can just imagine that city officials wanting to boost their careers have to juggle the "it's bad to have more covid cases" and "it's good that we took so many 'precautions.'"

People have been saying/wishing/hoping this for years, but the pandemic is still going on and shows no sign of ending. I am on the side of the doubtful, thinking that China's still years away from making things easier for its people. In my personal China circle, the only people I've heard that are sure about China opening sooner than later are foreigners in China because their companies keep promising them they'll get to go home soon, etc. Most of my Chinese friends are flipping the gently caress out at lost wages and opportunities due to lockdowns (in a tier-1city).

I think the guy in charge of the pandemic response in Shanghai at the beginning of 2020 got promoted, which is why Shanghai had a bad time last March.

Yeah, a lot of folks, especially those in more cosmopolitan cities, such as Shanghai, are getting fed up with the lack of rhyme or reason for the lockdowns. I got tagged with a red code because I visited the same area some infected dude did three days prior.

But I suppose that China can just point to the US et al. declaring that there is no war in Ba Sing Se to justify lockdowns without end.

Re:LGBT in China.
There is pushback by the powers that be on LGBT culture and ideals. Yeah, there are gay bars in the tier 1s, Blued is out there as the Chinese Grindr, and it's not uncommon for a gay man and woman to marry, have one kid out of fileal piety and then spend the rest of their time meeting who they really want. Hell, you can buy Prep on Grindr if you have a Chinese ID.

But the government collecting info on LGBT college clubs and banning "offensive" material is a sign. You have to remember, being gay was classified as a mental illness as late as 2005 out here.

Okuteru fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 7, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

VSOKUL girl posted:

it's about the size of california and similarly mostly population centers along the coast alongside a whole lotta nothing aside from crazy woods people. maybe the latter's more of a california thing, we get that in exchange for not thinking we're small

It's also the same area as Germany (helpful comparison for me as a dirty euro). Higher population, but not by a crazy margin. There's a cool map that was posted in D&D that I think helps understand it much better, because you can clearly see metropolitan vs rural areas as they don't get bunched up into whatever statistical areas the country has.

I couldn't find the same for Japan but this one is pretty cool

Grand Fromage posted:

Yep. Most things in China are local or, at best, province level decisions. The central government makes a decree like COVID Must Be Contained At All Costs and it's left up to local officials to carry it out. Which is part of why everything is so wildly inconsistent in China. Like even the great firewall is, from what I understand, a province-level thing so a VPN blocked in Sichuan may work in Guangxi or whatever.

This is why you talk to two people living in different parts of China and they have such divergent experiences. One person in a weird 1984 nightmare and the other says everything is fine and normal. That guy may be a party bootlicker but also may be telling the truth, it might be completely fine where he is.
Souds like russia too. Regions are told to implement centrally-decided poo poo, when they inevitably gently caress up, Putin gets to ride in and save the day by screaming at the local officials. Nothing is his fault of course.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Nov 7, 2022

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Japan is farther north, south, east, and west than Korea.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

It's also far better than korea (source: I've been to korea).

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

ili posted:

Counterpoint: I lived in Korea for 7 years over 3 different goes and in 3 different provinces and I loved it.
(Admittedly I seem to be the outlier in this.)

And I am currently on my 2nd stint in living in Japan, (currently in Hokkaido), and whilst still enjoying life, (despite how bitch horse cold it is getting and it is definitely going to get worse), much preferred my life on the little island of 남해, just off the south coast. A leisurely 4 1/2 hour bus ride from Seoul.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ili posted:

That's because you're not considering Best Korea

ili
Jul 26, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

That's because you're not considering Best Korea

중국?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

ili posted:

중국?

버겐 군, actually

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

mobby_6kl posted:

It's also the same area as Germany (helpful comparison for me as a dirty euro). Higher population, but not by a crazy margin. There's a cool map that was posted in D&D that I think helps understand it much better, because you can clearly see metropolitan vs rural areas as they don't get bunched up into whatever statistical areas the country has.

drat, never realized that spain was more of a void than like... most of finland

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

VSOKUL girl posted:

drat, never realized that spain was more of a void than like... most of finland

The issue is that there is a huuuuuuge gap between 500 and 5000 people km/2. It is making Ireland (population: 5M) look more populous than Spain (population: 45M). There just is no middle ground of development in Spain - you are super dense or you are farms.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

GoutPatrol posted:

The issue is that there is a huuuuuuge gap between 500 and 5000 people km/2. It is making Ireland (population: 5M) look more populous than Spain (population: 45M). There just is no middle ground of development in Spain - you are super dense or you are farms.

Ditto the Nordic countries - Norway and Finland have about 5.5 million, Denmark about 5.9, but we distribute them very differently. (Sweden is about twice that, at ca 10).

tilp
Apr 7, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

How big is Montana? Does anybody know?

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

tilp posted:

Idk but it's got a great Butte

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

tilp posted:

Literally no one knows. Attempts to measure Montana have been made, but usually result in the surveyors gibbering and instead of writing numbers, they tend to scrawl eldritch glyphs that can only be safely viewed through several layers of video compression - even then viewers are prone to nose and ear bleeds.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Montana is pretty small at less than 0.22 QLDs. Just shameful, embarrassing.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA

tilp posted:

It's more than two quarter pounders.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

Literally no one knows. Attempts to measure Montana have been made, but usually result in the surveyors gibbering and instead of writing numbers, they tend to scrawl eldritch glyphs that can only be safely viewed through several layers of video compression - even then viewers are prone to nose and ear bleeds.

A recent literature review has revealed that the surveyors had been mistakenly pointing their instruments at your mom.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

tilp posted:

Bigger than the Yellowstone ranch by about 9-11 times. With one train station.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

A recent literature review has revealed that the surveyors had been mistakenly pointing their instruments at your mom.

Excuse me, but despite her size, my other is completely Euclidean in her geometry.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Cthulu Carl posted:

Excuse me, but despite her size, my other is completely Euclidean in her geometry.

Weird way to say your mom is shaped like a cube

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/emmamashford/status/1590035250628788224?s=46&t=Ul2pf3bDyfBwbXvACsBBBA

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ili posted:

Montana is pretty small at less than 0.22 QLDs. Just shameful, embarrassing.

Only 4.87% the size of Australia :pathetic:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

tilp posted:

I thought Montana wants to be addressed as Cyrus now?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Tarquinn posted:

I thought Montana wants to be addressed as Cyrus now?

Achaemontana

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

thetoughestbean posted:

Weird way to say your mom is shaped like a cube

kind of refreshing to see a poster's mother referred to platonically

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
I'm pretty sure that we we left it was demonstrably 487,000 nautical sheaf chains long, and 94,000 & 13/32's wide.

However, when accounting for the elevation disparities which average out to near 638 imperial bails across a hectare we arrive at a total surface area of 468 parliaments of owls.

When we further factor in the non-immaterial curvatures of the earth and non-linear boundaries using customary 2 King Henry bailiwicks per newton pound we arrive at the obvious 28 ball-parks and 90 Olympic pools (wet).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Phew I was confused when you said chain but then specified nautical sheaf, was thinking surveyor chains.