Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm honestly kinda pissed they didn't do that sorry about the immortal wizard who cursed that dude's bloodline to all die at 30? or something like that.

Big spoilers
He WAS a wizard, but the only magic spell he knew was Alakablam cause he snuck in and shot em.

I think. It's been literal decades since I read that story.

Blue Oyster Cult's latest album had a song (and music video) based on that story, and it absolutely slaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4TFfTSUbto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

lord funk posted:

I think one of the worst offenders of this is Minority Report. The whole point from the story is that the pre-cognition system works, and in order to prevent it from being shut down, our hero chooses to fulfill the prophecy and commit the murder but that is all stripped away for *insert generic conspiracy here*.

Hell, I only watched the movie and I thought it was wild that they shut down the whole program, given the number of lives it saved. It needed an overhaul, especially when it came to punishments (locked up for life, rather than rehabilitation, is p. dumb). Offer, like, a life to the precogs and a choice while researching getting more, etc.

I mean what they didn't show after the movie ended is the murder rate absolutely fuckin' skyrocketing.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
If you are going to overuse flashbacks to; handhold the audience through your story and/or pad your runtime. You must use different footage if you are a movie. I will accept reusing footage for flashbacks in tv shows, if you are a real movie then try harder.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

HAmbONE posted:

If you are going to overuse flashbacks to; handhold the audience through your story and/or pad your runtime. You must use different footage if you are a movie. I will accept reusing footage for flashbacks in tv shows, if you are a real movie then try harder.

even on tv, do not use the exact same footage within an hour of the last time we saw it

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Is Dreams in the Witchhouse even considered top 15 Lovecraft?

I've read through his collected works a few times and I barely remember that one
It is one of my favorite :colbert:

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

HAmbONE posted:

The worst is when the characters are viewing security/phone footage and it's just shots from the movie

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Manager Hoyden posted:

The worst is when the characters are viewing security/phone footage and it's just shots from the movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRGCZh5A8T4

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Okay well except that one

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

Smellrose

Manager Hoyden posted:

Yup. Recently got this rewatching The Expanse in a couple of places. Alex the pilot simulating a fight and it’s the same footage from the last episode. The view is from space, where there are no drones or cameras; this is what the audience sees. Alex has turned on 3rd person view and scrolled the camera way back.

I still love The Expanse. The Watchmen movie breaks my heart with it’s loving terrible flashbacks. Am I wrong? Have the majority of viewers gotten so loving stupid they couldn’t piece together well placed hints from 15-45mins ago?

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Morpheus posted:

Hell, I only watched the movie and I thought it was wild that they shut down the whole program, given the number of lives it saved. It needed an overhaul, especially when it came to punishments (locked up for life, rather than rehabilitation, is p. dumb). Offer, like, a life to the precogs and a choice while researching getting more, etc.

I mean what they didn't show after the movie ended is the murder rate absolutely fuckin' skyrocketing.

Yeah, they were originally going to have a little caption at the end mentioning “the next year there were (X number) of murders in Washington DC”, I’m kinda annoyed they chickened out of that. I still can’t fault dumping the drat program though, it was demonstrated how anybody with enough access (meaning: government) could abuse it to get away with murder and it depended on stealing kids away from their parents (as opposed to the original story’s engineered brain dead precogs) and keeping them in a coma watching murders all day. Add in Cruise’s character straight up showing the predictions can be defied and you just don’t have enough reason to keep the program.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Morpheus posted:

Hell, I only watched the movie and I thought it was wild that they shut down the whole program, given the number of lives it saved.

The whole point is that you can't say it saved *any* lives, because the precogs are only showing you a *possible* future. You might be saving many lives, you might be throwing many people who wouldn't have done anything in prison.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

MadDogMike posted:

Yeah, they were originally going to have a little caption at the end mentioning “the next year there were (X number) of murders in Washington DC”, I’m kinda annoyed they chickened out of that. I still can’t fault dumping the drat program though, it was demonstrated how anybody with enough access (meaning: government) could abuse it to get away with murder and it depended on stealing kids away from their parents (as opposed to the original story’s engineered brain dead precogs) and keeping them in a coma watching murders all day. Add in Cruise’s character straight up showing the predictions can be defied and you just don’t have enough reason to keep the program.

Sure, predictions can be defied given foreknowledge, but then that's true in real life - if you know someone is going to murder someone, and you tell them "hey don't murder that person or we will arrest you", chances are they are not going to do the murder.

What they needed to do is simply use the premonitions like any other sort of evidence in a trial for intent to murder. Emphasize rehabilitation rather than full-on life in prison as well.

And yeah, the system can be abused, but so can the regular legal system, and this one is a whole lot tougher to do. Just needed reforms, not complete cancellation. Because I bet you that, were it not for this system, the bad guy would've had a whole lot of an easier time to get away with murder.

Phanatic posted:

The whole point is that you can't say it saved *any* lives, because the precogs are only showing you a *possible* future. You might be saving many lives, you might be throwing many people who wouldn't have done anything in prison.

Eh, ask those people in the intro that were going to get murdered by the jilted husband if they think their lives were saved or not.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

HAmbONE posted:

Yup. Recently got this rewatching The Expanse in a couple of places. Alex the pilot simulating a fight and it’s the same footage from the last episode. The view is from space, where there are no drones or cameras; this is what the audience sees. Alex has turned on 3rd person view and scrolled the camera way back.

I still love The Expanse. The Watchmen movie breaks my heart with it’s loving terrible flashbacks. Am I wrong? Have the majority of viewers gotten so loving stupid they couldn’t piece together well placed hints from 15-45mins ago?

You gotta remember that Zack Snyder was absurdly slavish to recreate the 12-issue series in one feature-length movie, so story hints & flashbacks seem hackneyed on film but hits different if you're trying to remember a hint from an issue that was from 3+ months ago.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

lord funk posted:

I think one of the worst offenders of this is Minority Report. The whole point from the story is that the pre-cognition system works, and in order to prevent it from being shut down, our hero chooses to fulfill the prophecy and commit the murder but that is all stripped away for *insert generic conspiracy here*.

The whole setup of the short story is so much cooler than the movie, involving self-reference paradoxes created by each pre-cog being able to predict the protagonists response to the predictions of the other pre-cogs. The movie doesn't even include the titular Minority Report, for god's sake!

Short story spoilers:
So, there is this evil general who wants to shut down pre-crime, even though the system is cool and good and totally works.
The first pre-cog predicts that the protagonist will learn about this plot and kill the general to save the program.
The second pre-cog predicts that the protagonist, being the chief of pre-crime, will learn that he is being accused of pre-murder and go on the run to clear his name, preventing the murder from happening.
The third pre-cog predicts that the protagonist will eventually return to pre-crime HQ, read the detailed reports of pre-cog one and two and realize that killing the general and fulfilling the prophecy is the only way to save the program.
Since 2/3 pre-cogs agree that the guy will be murdered, the system outputs a murder prediction with a minority report from pre-cog two, denying that the murder will happen. It is the existence of this minority report which motivates the protagonist to return to pre-crime to learn what went wrong. If pre-cog three hadn't correctly predicted that he would choose to through with the murder, he would never have been accused of murder in the first place, and none of this would have happened!

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

lord funk posted:

A key reason the program got shut down was that it was dependent on the dehumanizing slavery of the precogs. None of them volunteered. It's an Omelas bargain, or a Trolley Problem™ where N innocents are on one track and 3 innocent psychics on the other, forever being ground under the wheels.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Morpheus posted:

Eh, ask those people in the intro that were going to get murdered by the jilted husband if they think their lives were saved or not.

Again: the precogs are fallible and interpretation of their projections is likewise fallible and subjective. You have literally no way of knowing if their lives are saved are not. This is the reason the program fails.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Again: the precogs are fallible and interpretation of their projections is likewise fallible and subjective. You have literally no way of knowing if their lives are saved are not. This is the reason the program fails.

This is all preventative law enforcement though. I mean, yes, a man who has explosive material in his van and a book on making bombs and a racist manifesto and plans to the nearest shopping center at its busiest hour hasn't done anything yet, and maybe he never will, but maybe something should be done (this is an extreme example, of course).

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 20:14 on Nov 7, 2022

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

SimonChris posted:

The whole setup of the short story is so much cooler than the movie, involving self-reference paradoxes created by each pre-cog being able to predict the protagonists response to the predictions of the other pre-cogs. The movie doesn't even include the titular Minority Report, for god's sake!

I literally have not seen this movie since its theatrical run but I am 99% sure there is a Minority Report in the film, with a different colored magic ball and everything.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Rockman Reserve posted:

I literally have not seen this movie since its theatrical run but I am 99% sure there is a Minority Report in the film, with a different colored magic ball and everything.

Yeah. From wikipedia: "Anderton visits Precrime founder Dr. Iris Hineman at her home and learns that one Precog occasionally sees a different future vision from the others, known as a "minority report". These discrepancies are reviewed and purged from the official record, as group precognition agreement is the foundation of the Precrime bylaws."

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Breetai posted:

See also the Phillip K Dick anthology series Electric Dreams where each episode was an adaptation of one of his short stories, and by adaptation I mean anything from "we needlessly and senselessly changed the ending to make it worse" to "we kept the title".

This was the saddest thing: great actors, great source material, and it all turned out worse than the 90's Outer Limits

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Rockman Reserve posted:

Morpheus posted:

Yeah. From wikipedia: "Anderton visits Precrime founder Dr. Iris Hineman at her home and learns that one Precog occasionally sees a different future vision from the others, known as a "minority report". These discrepancies are reviewed and purged from the official record, as group precognition agreement is the foundation of the Precrime bylaws."

They mention the concept of a minority report, but it eventually turns out that there never was one in this particular case, and Anderton just breaks the prophecy through free will or whatever. Thus, removing the most interesting part of the short story.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Rockman Reserve posted:

The different coloured ball is because the murder at the start wasn't premeditated iirc, it was just some guy coming home to find he'd been cucked like in that M&M ad

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

SimonChris posted:

They mention the concept of a minority report, but it eventually turns out that there never was one in this particular case, and Anderton just breaks the prophecy through free will or whatever. Thus, removing the most interesting part of the short story.

Wasn't there a minority report in the film, where it was that the murder happened at a different time of day (something about tides I think?)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Randalor posted:

Wasn't there a minority report in the film, where it was that the murder happened at a different time of day (something about tides I think?)

No, that's part of the bad guy's plan to kill someone under the system to make it look like a repeat vision.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Pilchenstein posted:

The different coloured ball is because the murder at the start wasn't premeditated iirc, it was just some guy coming home to find he'd been cucked like in that M&M ad

I don't recall that M&M ad.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Pilchenstein posted:

See the dumb thing is that Anderton's murder of Crow wasn't pre-meditated - he went out with the plan to find this guy to get answers. It was only when he found the 'orgy of evidence' that, according to the vision, he shot Crow. So the ball should've been a crime of passion.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

HAmbONE posted:

Am I wrong? Have the majority of viewers gotten so loving stupid they couldn’t piece together well placed hints from 15-45mins ago?

Have you been to TVIV or CineD lately?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Morpheus posted:

This is all preventative law enforcement though. I mean, yes, a man who has explosive material in his van and a book on making bombs and a racist manifesto and plans to the nearest shopping center at its busiest hour hasn't done anything yet, and maybe he never will, but maybe something should be done (this is an extreme example, of course).

For example, one of the things you could do about this situation is to arrest him for the crimes he has actually committed in getting to that point.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

rydiafan posted:

I don't recall that M&M ad.
Enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srWqOGTYMk8

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

Smellrose

Len posted:

Have you been to TVIV or CineD lately?

No I don’t go there, I like movies and TV but I haven’t had cable tv in 15+ years and I don’t keep track of what’s coming out. The last movie I was actually interested in was DUNC. I love sci fi and British panel shows

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Morpheus posted:

Sure, predictions can be defied given foreknowledge, but then that's true in real life - if you know someone is going to murder someone, and you tell them "hey don't murder that person or we will arrest you", chances are they are not going to do the murder.

What they needed to do is simply use the premonitions like any other sort of evidence in a trial for intent to murder. Emphasize rehabilitation rather than full-on life in prison as well.

And yeah, the system can be abused, but so can the regular legal system, and this one is a whole lot tougher to do. Just needed reforms, not complete cancellation. Because I bet you that, were it not for this system, the bad guy would've had a whole lot of an easier time to get away with murder.

I mean yeah if it was a different movie things would have different

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

I mean yeah if it was a different movie things would have different

Exactly. Just give me a two-hour film about the reform movement in regards to precrime and its flaws as exposed by Mr Anderton, that's what I'm talking about!

Edit: As an extended post-credits scene to Minority Report.

Troutpack
Dec 29, 2008

He wants to watch him suffer.
With regards to the whole Minority Report (movie) chat, isn't it heavily implied that Anderton merely dreams the whole happy ending of the movie while in the stasis pod thing?

Edited for spoilers.

Troutpack has a new favorite as of 11:52 on Nov 8, 2022

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Rewatching The Dark Knight and there are some hilarious story beats and editing goofs in this thing. The funniest was when the Joker goes to Two Face in the hospital in a very obviously fake nurse costume, chest hair sticking out of the blouse, his face in full makeup and everything but with a tiny paper surgical mask covering the very bottom of his face. Two Face behaves like this is a normal nurse coming to tend to him until the Joker removes the tiny mask (again, he has his full makeup on) and only then does the guy recognize him and try to attack. It's a scene that wouldn't be out of place in a Naked Gun movie

I still like the film but it is way, way less polished than I remembered

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Rewatching The Dark Knight and there are some hilarious story beats and editing goofs in this thing. The funniest was when the Joker goes to Two Face in the hospital in a very obviously fake nurse costume, chest hair sticking out of the blouse, his face in full makeup and everything but with a tiny paper surgical mask covering the very bottom of his face. Two Face behaves like this is a normal nurse coming to tend to him until the Joker removes the tiny mask (again, he has his full makeup on) and only then does the guy recognize him and try to attack. It's a scene that wouldn't be out of place in a Naked Gun movie

IIRC Joker has his back turned to Two-Face as the scene starts, plus Two-Face is mad with pain and doesn't really care about some nurse in his room. But yeah, the scene still is pretty funny. I just believe the mask was an intentional little joke on the Joker's side.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Yeah, I mean Harvey is in a really bad state, probably on a morphine drip and doesn't look like his vision would be top notch. He's also insane by this point and who knows what crazy poo poo he's seeing? Better question is how did Joker even get in there? Hospital would be crowded and I'd think that the DA would have some security or at least some handlers around.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

They specifically say he’s been refusing painkillers

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

RCarr posted:

They specifically say he’s been refusing painkillers

oh

Well, strike that then.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Troutpack posted:

With regards to the whole Minority Report (movie) chat, isn't it heavily implied that Anderton merely dreams the whole happy ending of the movie while in the stasis pod thing?

Edited for spoilers.

I prefer this interpretation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

oh

Well, strike that then.

I mean if half my face had been turned into medium-rare hamburger and I wasn't on painkillers, I might not be noticing things any better than I would from within a sweet opiate haze