Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kale posted:

I await Miller's eventual appearance on Tucker Carlson Tonight through gritted teeth.

kyle rittenhouse is gonna teach him how to shoot

e: what an awful snipe i'm sorry everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Eric the Mauve posted:

Evander Kane should give you a pretty good start on that.

honestly I was amazed this wasn't Holland led to begin with

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Aphrodite posted:

The chances ownership has any involvement in an AHL signing are probably nill.

It was a standard NHL entry contract that would make him eligible for the AHL, not an AHL only contract that precludes you from playing in the NHL.

E: with the amount of money involved it’s possible they didn’t run it by ownership. But it’s incredibly shortsighted if they didn’t given the circumstances of it.

Schremp Howard fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 7, 2022

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Schremp Howard posted:

It was a standard NHL entry contract that would make him eligible for the AHL, not an AHL only contract that precludes you from playing in the NHL.

Right but I don't think they go to ownership (beyond for whatever required signatures) on ELC signings meant to fill out the AHL team.

You talk to them when you're handing out $10mil a year, but something like this is probably boring day to day they rubber stamp.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

DJExile posted:

Oh man wait til you find out what you can do online these days

The social media/website say they’re only available in the physical store!

Edit: they are definitely not available online! What a sneaky way to get people to come to the games!

I inherited my Step-Dad’s goat head Michael Peca jersey so I will definitely wear it to one of the third jersey games.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 7, 2022

Captain Geech
Mar 14, 2008

I've made a huge mistake.
Rick Dhaliwal said that multiple teams were inquiring about Miller and did not deny that the Canucks were one of them, which makes me feel all kinds of gross. Honestly not sure I could cheer for the team if that shitstain was connected to it in any way, so I'm glad Bruins fans don't have to go through that dilemma. Hopefully this is the last we hear of him.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Miller is the first time I have seen so many people on the internet collectively agree that he's trash.

I think it's partially because he's admitted to his crime, there's no disputing it, and the details are horrendous. I have seen a few people mention how they assumed it was just a case of underage bullying, and that Miller grew out of it, until they actually read the descriptions of what happened.

Also, the bigger thing, is that he isn't a star prospect.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Twin Cinema posted:

Miller is the first time I have seen so many people on the internet collectively agree that he's trash.

I think it's partially because he's admitted to his crime, there's no disputing it, and the details are horrendous. I have seen a few people mention how they assumed it was just a case of underage bullying, and that Miller grew out of it, until they actually read the descriptions of what happened.

Also, the bigger thing, is that he isn't a star prospect.

Don't read the twitter threads on him then. There's still tons of idiots on there saying he was only 14 and cancel culture and blah blah blah

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Ginette Reno posted:

Don't read the twitter threads on him then. There's still tons of idiots on there saying he was only 14 and cancel culture and blah blah blah

Ugh, of course. The internet is still the internet, I forgot.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
https://twitter.com/amandacstein/status/1589682986647048194?s=46&t=pHwn0ZtejDffOwa1m2a-cA

Luckily Vanecek has been really solid since his first start. Still not great though even if it's probably only like 4-7 weeks.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

T-Bone posted:

https://twitter.com/amandacstein/status/1589682986647048194?s=46&t=pHwn0ZtejDffOwa1m2a-cA

Luckily Vanecek has been really solid since his first start. Still not great though even if it's probably only like 4-7 weeks.

Isn’t it good for New Jersey that he doesn’t play ? As in he is not a good goalie ?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Duckman2008 posted:

Isn’t it good for New Jersey that he doesn’t play ? As in he is not a good goalie ?

The new backup is likely worse.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Duckman2008 posted:

He was playing pretty well lately tbh, and yeah he's a better option than what they've got in the AHL.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Speaking of goalies who have been surprisingly ok lately, after the last 4 periods of Leafs hockey Erik Källgren has broken the .900 barrier and now possesses a positive goals saved above expected.

Is that sustainable? Hell no, it’s based off of 20 minutes of prevent defence and score effects against the Bruins and then the Hurricanes doing their “million unthreatening shots for rebounds” offence that looked so bad in the playoffs, but considering how negatively Freddy Andersen and Jack Campbell are stacking up at the moment it’s still fun to think about.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Duckman2008 posted:

I think so far as starters go MacKenzie Blackwood is near or at the bottom, but he's a serviceable enough guy in a 1A / 1B situation where he's not counted on to be the main guy.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Blackwood is currently 53rd of 65 at 5v5 of goalies with more than 60 minutes of ice time with an .893. All situations move him to 55 of 67. That's pretty bad.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Blues are bad, RIP.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Blues are bad, RIP.

good. force doug armstrong to try and rebuild, even though they're hamstrung like the sharks for the next 6 years

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The social media/website say they’re only available in the physical store!

Edit: they are definitely not available online! What a sneaky way to get people to come to the games!

I inherited my Step-Dad’s goat head Michael Peca jersey so I will definitely wear it to one of the third jersey games.
I don't think the goat heads or reverse-retro goat heads are available until 11/15, in-store or on-line.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Thank you to the Edmonton pk for reminding me what fun hockey looks like

Big man still got it

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1589825630501490688?t=Cv-geDUrPjkT1Jwjz50_Sw&s=19

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Mike_V posted:

good. force doug armstrong to try and rebuild, even though they're hamstrung like the sharks for the next 6 years

ehh they could probably slip out of most of those contracts, only one that strikes me as being really bad is Parayko's.. maybe Kyrou's if he turns out to be a pumpkin.

somehow he's -15 in 10 games this year lol what the gently caress is going on there. Unluckiest guy ever?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Hell yeah :cool:

https://twitter.com/JesseGranger_/status/1589796641485508608

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Look at this guy cosplaying as a starting goalie, like he wasn't in the AHL last year! :v:

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
One thing the Miller drama does is sends every hockey parent a very clear message: If your son does something bad, do everything in your power to deny, bury, and minimize it. If it gets out, your son's career is finished, it doesn't matter how young your son is or what he does to try and atone. Taking responsibility just makes your child a target.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Konstantin posted:

One thing the Miller drama does is sends every hockey parent a very clear message: If your son does something bad, do everything in your power to deny, bury, and minimize it. If it gets out, your son's career is finished, it doesn't matter how young your son is or what he does to try and atone. Taking responsibility just makes your child a target.

Source your quotes

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Hello NHL thread I moved last year to a city with a hockey team, went to a game, and fell in love with watching sports for the first time in my life. Unfortunately for me that team was the San Jose Sharks

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Not Important posted:

God Bless the ECHL

The ECHL rules and I have been shouting it from the rooftops for decades

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

big black turnout posted:

Hello NHL thread I moved last year to a city with a hockey team, went to a game, and fell in love with watching sports for the first time in my life. Unfortunately for me that team was the San Jose Sharks

If you're willing to go to AHL games instead of just NHL, the San Jose Barracuda do $3 beer nights on Saturdays and $1 hot dog nights on Fridays and it's $6 for a hot dog, popcorn and a soda on Sundays. Tickets are $13 for 2nd level, and you can find tickets right up against the glass on the lower level for $32. The Barracuda are probably AHL playoff bubble this year, and you'll be able to watch some of the Sharks prospects. AHL games are incredibly fun.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Konstantin posted:

The abuse started at 14. It was not a one time event, it was continuous over several years.

What he did to try and atone was literally not a single thing that a hockey team didn't make him do.

The message that the Miller case sends is that there is in fact a (very, very low) bar of decency that even the privilege of being a white male sports player is not enough to bypass.

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Nov 8, 2022

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Konstantin posted:

that phrase is doing a lot of work there considering:

Wikipedia posted:

According to the Republic, Miller apologized to the then 31 NHL teams (the Seattle Kraken had not formally joined the league at the time), but never to Meyer-Crothers or to his family.[22] In a letter addressed to the Coyotes, Meyer-Crothers' mother, Joni, found Armstrong's comments demeaning to her son, stating that while Miller's classmate apologized to Meyer-Crothers, Miller himself was unwilling to show remorse. A juvenile court magistrate in Ohio concluded that Miller had absolutely no remorse for his actions against Meyer-Crothers and was merely upset that his reputation would be damaged by the situation.

there's definitely a fair amount of people that would say his behavior is an irredeemable sin, but I don't think that's nearly the majority. If Miller went totally the opposite way, apologized profusely + repeatedly, tried to publicly make it right, and actually atoned in some form on an ongoing basis, I think there'd be enough support to say "yeah, this kid deserves another shot."

It really doesn't sound like he's close to that.

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003

Konstantin posted:

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Konstantin posted:

Lol this post can’t be real. yes his parents definitely made him go to juvenile court to take responsibility, not as a last resort for a kid that was said to have “absolutely no remorse”.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Yeah it wasn't a one off thing. This isn't "14 year old steals car" it's 14 year old tortures mentally disabled Black kid for months

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Konstantin posted:

At what point did he ever try and take any responsibility?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Isentropy posted:

Yeah it wasn't a one off thing. This isn't "14 year old steals car" it's 14 year old tortures mentally disabled Black kid for months

Literally years. Like it’s insanely bad, and it’s insane that he shows no remorse for it.

Like, I feel guilty if I give a customer wrong info and they’re out $100 or something. I can’t imagine doing purposeful torture of another kid (let alone minority and disabled) and then literally just not even being willing to do even a fake apology.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/status/1589632014663438337

These and the canes flag blacks are the only good black jerseys in the league

The lead up was 40 minutes of goats in the locker room. :kiddo:

When did the Sabres turn the corner on PR stuff? Only a few years ago they were using Chinese knock-off jerseys for alumni appearances with their names spelled wrong.

https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1DXxyvzWOeNKM

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

th3t00t posted:

The lead up was 40 minutes of goats in the locker room. :kiddo:

When did the Sabres turn the corner on PR stuff? Only a few years ago they were using Chinese knock-off jerseys for alumni appearances with their names spelled wrong.

https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1DXxyvzWOeNKM

even with the goats in it the locker rooms still looks nicer than the Saddledome’s

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Chad Sexington posted:

Thank you to the Edmonton pk for reminding me what fun hockey looks like

Big man still got it

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1589825630501490688?t=Cv-geDUrPjkT1Jwjz50_Sw&s=19

Ovie was feeling it.

https://twitter.com/twistedleafs/status/1589819397715406849

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

That McDavid kid is really loving good. Why in the hell did he want to remain with the Oilers and not go out into the league and get mega loving paid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

big black turnout posted:

It's actually not the worst time to start watching them. The GM has signaled that they may do a tear-down this year looking towards a rebuild. This is a great draft year, so stocking up on draft picks might make for an exciting offseason. Since they suck, it's likely that tickets on the secondary market will drift down in price for a while. And in the meantime, you get to watch Karlsson resume his world-breaking form (albeit probably temporarily) even as they lose.

Nothing wrong with buying low.